Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylor vs Cameron

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,421 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Fair play to Katie, I thought she would struggle and would have been up against it from Round 1 - should never have doubted her.

Not sure about Croker - the demand isnt there and the price points for tickets will make it difficult for the casual observer to get bought in. There's a bit of an echo chamber about this forum as you'd expect and potentially in some of the groups that people move in but I don't see the numbers making sense.

If Hearn wants it there that badly "for Katie" he needs to pony up a bit more cash for security.

As for Corke park being a "national" stadium - it has hosted everything from GAA to American Football, to Soccer to Rugby to concerts and conferences - Croke park is open to hosting whatever makes financial sense - thats the issue here for Hearn. Croke park are open to doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,683 ✭✭✭✭walshb

No chance. Win, lose, draw she wasn’t retiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

You've hit it on the head, if the security costs are covered (and of course if the Guards agree to it going ahead ...) then I also think Croker will be up for it. Mind you that's going to be an expensive operation I would imagine ...

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Agree , you could feel Cameron's body shots when they landed on Katie, but I haven't seen Katie as fast with her fists in years. Katie seemed to neutralise the Cameron jab that worked so well in the first fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

She already beat Serrano. And Serrano ran away from the second fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,307 ✭✭✭✭ted1

it was far from convincing and could of went either way.

Serrano is now fighting 3 minute rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Shank Williams

Why was it nice to see journalist being shutdown?

legit question especially this week when the roided up drug addict disgraced himself again

• Registered Users Posts: 37,616 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah I thought that, that's why I said IF she had any sense.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

If Katie went back to original weight and boxed like she did last night she would destroy Serrano imho. Cameron hit her hard last night and bar the first knockdown Katie absorbed it all. Serrano isn't as fast as Katie was last night nor does she have the power of Cameron.

It was in Serrano's backyard. On a Paul card. Every nonsense in the game, backstage, was pulled and Katie still delivered. Serrano would be beaten convincingly in Ireland. Serrano is fighting at featherweight now and is no longer ko-ing anyone (35 years old). Katie is fighting up at welterweight now... she fought a big welterweight last and still won.

Katie is another level in terms of ambition and putting it on the line.

Facts. Katie was in unreal shape last night. A 37 year old woman with a 6 pack. Had obviously trained hard to take the body shots against a heavier woman and it worked. She was like cut class.

Serrano's power has faded a bit. She's very dangerous but she likes featherweight. I think, if Katie demanded a welterweight bout against Serrano, it would be curtains for Serrano. I think the likes of Persson gives Serrano a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,616 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm fully in agreement with you about Hearn. He's a con man.

As regards filling it. That is not a problem if you put a reasonable price on tickets which are way back. I think you'd definitely get 50k going to it if you put the price at €150 for the upper Hogan and Cusack stands. You can then start increasing the price as you go from the back to the front of the lower stands. You've got the pitch for a lot of VIPs and very rich people who want to be closer to the action.

And this fight would be one that lots of big names would want to be seen at. It'd be the biggest fight in the history of women's boxing and billed as the two greatest of all time.

I'd guess that this fight would be ppv and the earnings would be massive because the bigger the fight, the bigger the audience, the more that will buy the fight around the world.

I'm not sure if it can be ppv. I don't know if there's a deal between Katie and any TV company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭Morrison J

She's a matchroom fighter so her fights will be on DAZN. I'd have more faith in Croke Park being a viable option if that fight had been on RTE last night. Lot of people who wouldn't have watched it due to it being only visible on an app. The momentum she can possibly generate is capped when there's so few watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Yeah she played it really clever. Not sure if she will get Croker but ud imagine the Aviva could be a real runner. Someone had mentioned there was tickets last week but i only saw mad expensive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Nah , she could prob earn not far off 100% of her career earnings in one more fight. And when its 1-1 , a big payday trilogy just makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭reclose

I thought Katie had great tactics the first 4 rounds or so but then started getting sucked into a war which I think suited Cameron.

Any ideas why Katie seems to do this in every fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Advertisement

She loses form due to fatigue. This means she doesn’t have the same sharp feet to be as elusive. But, she has it all, and can fight hard when needed and when tired.

I see Hearn is trying to get the "Irish Government" (Irish tax payers) to pay for the Katie Croke Park moment while he rakes in the cash... absolute con man is right.

Eddie Hearn No Context Compilation - YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 18,421 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thats exactly what he is at.

He know what he has to do to make Croker a possibility but he has no intention of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

Absolutely delighted with Katie's win last night.

I don't mind saying that beforehand I thought it was going to be rinse and repeat. The main reason being that right throughout her pro career Katie has shown an alarming lack of discipline when it comes to maintaining a fight plan. The moment she gets caught she just tears into the opponent and starts slugging it out, foregoing her advantages in speed and movement.

Last night however, for the first half of the fight she used her speed superbly and exited when she should have. Once she started getting tired she correctly used some savy and held at the right times. Whether people like it or not, it's a part of the game, especially when you're hurt or tired. It's something smart fighters do and something Katie has been criticised for NOT doing in the past eg. in the fifth round with Serrano, when she could very legitimately have been stopped because she refused to hold.

Personally, I'd love to see her retire, but she won't. Even if she had lost I doubt she would either. It's all she knows. And she's obsessed with it.

Post edited by megadodge on

Really looking forward to the trilogy fight. Don’t care where they have it. Taylor and Cameron will put on another war I’d imagine.

hopefully not waiting 6-9 months. Be great around early April

Katie up at 147 lbs likely loses a lot of her key advantages, like foot and hand speed.

A heavier Katie is an inferior fighter to a 135-140 lbs Katie. Not sure you have thought this through. Unless you think Katie deliberately bulking up to 147 suddenly brings her WW power.....? Which sounds silly to me

Post edited by walshb on

And what would it do to a fighter more comfortable at featherweight? Don't think you've thought it through.

I think Katie beats Serrano at lightweight anyway. But going up a weight is only an advantage to Katie. She just has more experience of it.

I thought silly idea having both women in practically identical gear. Judges need to be ultra-focused, and not being given the extra job of trying to decipher who’s who

I see it in the amateurs where boxers should be red and blue, yet some are in the exact same colours

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭squinn2912

What a performance. I love how Taylor can grit it out when she is exhausted. She was well worth the win last night. I’d worry if there is a trilogy fight. As good as the performance was I think she is well one the wane now and the speed and reflexes go quicker than the power and strength Cameron would have. I think on another day the referee takes a point for holding. Katie has that great style for about 5 rounds and then it’s heart in mouth stuff. She was cute and absolutely all the credit goes to her. Carl Frampton had one last fight that he would’ve been better off leaving and I could see a similar finish for Katie, particularly fighting up a weight.

• Advertisement

Nothing.

Serrano and Katie fought an insanely close fight at 135 lbs. At 147 lbs Katie would have 0 advantages, and would give up some hand and foot speed. Serrano may also have 0 advantages. You are not making any sense with this “Serrano is done for if Katie makes the fight at 147.”

two things you seem to not see: Katie is not all a puncher, and physically not too strong. Her game is based off foot and hand speed, and ring IQ.

147 lbs would be of no advantage to Katie against anyone. And she’s 38 next birthday!!

Advertisement