Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong policing on the streets of Dublin tonight (24/11) - **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Thank them for opening up a discussion that should have been had thirty years ago - and then hand them a suspended sentence like most of the anti-social scrotes out there get anyways.

Locally, a young family from around London area (wife originally Irish) upped sticks and moved to this part of the southeast around 12 years ago to get away from the social issues over there caused by mass immigration. They fear that Ireland is rapidly hurtling down the same path.

It's time, long overdue in fact, that we had a mature conversation on immigration - unfiltered. If there is any doubt after that, run a national vote (not some charade like the Citizen's Assembly where the media 'carefully' selects the participants) and see what every rational thinking adult wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭AngeloArgue

What else but "thugs, knackers, vermin, feral youths, wasters, layabouts, un-educated, scrotes, burglars, facists, parasites would you call the "people" running wild in Dublin?

#IrishLivesMatters protestors

Fiery but mostly peaceful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Northernlily

No capacity? Tough - South America style prisons just lob them in on top of each other.

I'm sure they won't want to go back to that hell. I think prison is comfortable for quite a few crims.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The media don't select the participants on the Citizens Assembly.

No problem with a mature discussion on immigration.

There are dedicated threads on the subject on here already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭bigroad

Second hand car ferrys for sale around the world for about 15m.

most have hundreds of rooms already.

im sure there will be plenty of excuses for not using them.

Other then that a prison factory is an option,so it might pay for some of the upkeep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Fiery like the Luas and the Garda car were? Peaceful my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The lads who were looting and burning in Dublin the other night, do you include them in "every rational thinking adult"?

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭InAtFullBack

Depends on which way the wind blows. Back on 15 November 2014 when the 'rent-a-mob' were imprisoning their darling left-wing Tánaiste and Dole minister who happened to turn turk on her electorate - the tables suddenly turned.

Spoiler - the same demography were breaking into Lidl in the snow and they were in town on Thursday night. Square that circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

A 'long term solution' to determine which of our citizens are deemed suitable to have children? No children for any group you decide are inferior simply because they avail of social supports? Now why does that sound familiar?

Hang your head in shame.

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Where did I make excuses for law-breaking or where did I advocate a softly softly approach? Far from it, imo anyone who breaks the law should be charged and prosecuted and our gardai (who do a very difficult job) deserve to be properly resourced and supported.

The situation in Dublin or other places mentioned will not be fixed by using vile, derogatory names and labels to describe a particular group of people in our society. Hateful language, brute force, cracking a few skulls, and other suggestions are poisonous no matter how much some people try to justify them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

Helen McEntee and Leo Varadkar are set to rush in Facial Recognition Technology and hate speech laws.

McEntee will add Riot/Disorder to the serious crimes list that will enable gardai to use the technology.

This is extremely controversial within the EU and globally.

The hate speech laws are vague with government defining what is and isn't hate speech.

Government not wasting the opportunity. This is bad for ireland

Good. We have needed to update the 1989 Act for a long time. Delighted McEntee and Varadkar are acting on this.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

Yes, the government of the day will decide the definition of hate. If SF are in power they will not be using these laws against such rioters, they will more than likely blame it on deprivation and pump more money into these people.

Hate laws will be used to clamp down hard on journalists attacking the government and there will be a small number of show trials to distract the plebs from government incompetence.

Hate laws will not help the guards or make the streets safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'm not familiar with this, but always skeptical of laws that are rushed in in haste. Often to make political parties look like they are being proactive while not actually addressing the issues that led up to the riots the other night and that have been simmering for a long time.

No. Not rushed. There have been discussions on updates needed to the 1989 Act for over 20 years

Terry Pratchet

Rushed in laws is exactly what is happening. Those championing such powers only think in the present and never what might happen in the future.

Once they are in they are in.

Hate speech where government decides what is and what isn't also the same

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/1126/1418520-govt-to-enable-frt-laws-in-response-to-dublin-riots/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭prunudo

And what is the reason its taken 20 years? The fact it is the other nights riot being used to get this through means it is definitely being rushed. Using an extraordinary event and emotions to get something dubious across the line. Although as I said, I'm unfamiliar with the wordings etc, but I always fear kneejerk reactions.

Agreed.

They have been in since 1989.

The 1989 Act didn't foresee the Internet so it badly needed updating.

Terry Pratchet

It's very normal for debate and discussion on legislation to take a long time.

Its not being rushed through at all. It has been going through legislative processes and is more or less at final stages.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Riot and disorder have been added.

Not too long ago the EU critised Putin's Russia for its use of FRT at a protest.

Again those cheering for it have zero forward thinking ability.

Use of FRT is highly controversial and has in most cases been ruled illegal by the EU.

McEntee is flapping at anything and everything to try save her own skin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

After this legislation goes live, what do you think it will achieve? What is going to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

I would do this but we have too few prisons and no prison space ….. You have to murder someone to be guaranteed to get into jail in this country .

Criminals that commit burglaries and low to mid level drug dealers know this and have no fear of judges or courts

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Hate speech is to be based on offense taken. We have people on this site who would be offended if they watched GB news for an hour.

None of it would be hate speech in the true sense. However, it would be what our politicians consider far-right.

If just one person is sufficiently offended by it, it could be declared hateful material. Posting a link to a news story or a satirical meme will become a risky business.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I saw that. McEntee needs to just take a chill pill and get a ministry she can actually handle. It was so obvious she was using the riot to rush this face recognition law. She must think the electorate are stupid.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,558 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Paschal Donohue just used the "lessons learned" phrase on Anton Savage show. In government 11 years and this what we get.

It's actually worrying how she thinks she can just act on impulse.

I saw Mullen in the Seanad go through her hate speech bill wording Vs the statement released .

Massive number of inaccuracies and irregularities.

For example and EU report on hate speech law states not all "offenses" are the same.

Ie some warrant a warning, others warrant referral to services and the most heinous and intentional a criminal direction.

In Helen's bill everything is criminal. It's insane and it's a huge overreach

The “social theory of crime”. One of the biggest frauds going……

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement