Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strong policing on the streets of Dublin tonight (24/11) - **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Long term planning doesnt win elections when most voters focus on short term quick wins.

No shortage of things you can point to in this country that could have been better if the gov committed resources to some long term plans

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

This place is wild, these lads don't give a **** about anyone, you think they're gonna tuck their tails between their legs and go home because Mary Lou said to?

I mean why not ask why didn't Pascal O'Donoghue go down and have a word? It's his constituency too, and he's in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭mode1990

Talked to a nurse from the mater last night ! Indian & Philippines nurses to scared to leave work on Thursday nite ! Despicable ! These are the same nurses who look after the parents & grandparents of the scum who desicrated my city ! And without those migrants nurses , doctors , bus & taxi drivers who knows how bad all those services would be without them ! Disgusting !

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Patches oHoulihan

These little bastards should be identified on every social media platform going.

Plaster their little rat faces everywhere and cancel their welfare payments

All granted bail till February when it's no longer a priority and reality detached judges impose slap on the wrist sentences ! More prison spaces urgently required ! America has it right , three strikes and out ! Put manners on the scum !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

The people out rioting look more like Mary Lous voting base than Pascal's to be fair.

SF have much more power (punishment) to wield than any legitimate government Minister has

• Registered Users Posts: 24,386 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Because prisons just like hospitals are only buildings.

It's like during Covid when people said "build more ICU beds". It's the nurse that makes it intensive care not the room or the bed.

Couldn't disagree more with you ! The HSE has had more than enough money thrown at it , Health is a bottomless pit to absord investment ! Justice on the other hand is sorely lacking investment ! Look at the Thornton Halk debacle ! Leo talks tough but no follow through ! The shinners will eliminate the special criminal court so they're ilk can go scot free ! Our BANANA Republic !

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

Have read numerous media on the riots from reporters who were there. All in agreement that the rioters were wrecking the place not targeting for example onlookers from shops and passerby's.

Your nurse friends are worrying about nothing.

I don't think the scrotes care about facial recognition. Hoods up and face masks on.

It's the armchair warriors, who get insulted about absoltely everything that are angry.

Most people I know, have nothing to hide. We go to work, we pay our taxes. Our cars are taxed, insured and NCT'ed.

We don't like to see what happens on a daily basis on our streets.

So, lets go, build a big databases of criminals, build a huge jail. If that's full, Build another 3.

If you are opposed to this? Please first tell why, what are you hiding? If your a decent law abiding person, you have nothing to fear.

• Advertisement

And they burnt the bus as was their goal during the riot.

But it was nurses we were talking about. At the time they didn't know that i suppose.

Someone might say I go to work, pay my taxes, my car is insured etc

Why are you collecting data on me without my permission? I haven't broken any rules or laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When you had a mob chanting anti immigrant slogans, how would you not expect some immigrants to be afraid?

There was a woman on the other day who said her 2 female friends had their hijabs pulled off their heads that night. That would be scary for a woman nowadays, after all the recent media coverage of attacks on women.

Not my friends! Just petrified women & men who came to this country to make a life for themselves and provide this country with an essential service ! Are you an apologist for the "Northface tracksuit , Nike wearing, weed stinking thugs who should be incarcerated but feel hard done by their own intransigence ! Gimme a break !

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Astartes

What spurred all this deplorable violence? Busses burned, words shouted in anger..

Did some awful avoidable incident occur?

1984/Minority report might be where your head is at. Mine is much more simple.

How about a different mindset. Let's stop thugs running wild across ALL aspects of irish society. Let's allow the Garda to arrest them, Let's allow the prosecution service do their job and make sure the prisons are big enough.

Would you prefer your personal data is safe? Or perhaps prefer that you and I can walk around safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Go on. Enlighten us as to how it was avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Extremist hate speech inciting hate or violence is not absolutely not a human right. This Bill upholds human rights and is entirely consistent with International Human Rights treaties and laws including the European Convention on Human Rights, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, the UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination (CERD).

Human Rights can and do clash. Rights to be safe and and to be free from torture are currently being infringed by the extremist far right in this country. International Human Rights bodies such as the UN and Council of Europe have been calling on Ireland for many many years to update our laws in this area in order to properly uphold rights be safe and free from torture.

The right to freedom of expression which Ireland signed upto in the European Convention on Human Rights had always been a qualified human right.

Article 10 – Freedom of expression

Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Reading the proposed legislation if it passes I know the instances that gardai will be granted access to FRT. That's at the beginning. Use will naturally progress from there and become more common.

Hence why in 2021 the EU banned the use of FRT in law enforcement

https://www.insideprivacy.com/artificial-intelligence/european-parliament-votes-in-favor-of-banning-the-use-of-facial-recognition-in-law-enforcement/

You are using movie comparisons to make your point about why we should give away our rights even if we have done nothing wrong.

No dice

• Advertisement

Just read backwards on this thread. It seems like your a supporter of the people rioting? Correct?

I read the Sunday papers. Listened to Brendan O'Connor show yesterday, read the Irish times yesterday etc

Maybe you could read some of the stories from journalists and reporter who were there before making accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'm wondering how much trouble they will cause while out on bail? Be surprised if they are not arrested for something before Feb.

Engage in loutish behaviour and you're "civil" rights should automatically be forfeited , are we going to allow a microcosm take over our city ! True patriots died for our Republic and would be repulsed at Thursdays carnage !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,923 ✭✭✭suvigirl

You can't seriously be trying to justify this behaviour

100% , bail is carte blanche to carry out as much crime as you can ! You should receive treble the standard sentence for offences committed on bail ! Sounds draconian, but until there's a real punishment then so many decent peoples lives will be made miserable !

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭L.Ball

Can someone in favour of these facial recognition laws explain how they're supposed to work when 99% of these scrotes go around with their face covered at all times.

https://twitter.com/dubslife1/status/1728885688991703450

Let the computer systems do the work. Let the computer system track said individual until they take off their mask. Then bada bing......problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You have a point there, the clue is in the name.

If you can't see the face FRT is of limited use.

However some will have their faces uncovered so it will work for them.

Also the city is well covered by cameras.

A lot of troublemakers will uncover their faces when they get a few streets away from the action in order not to attract attention.

The footage from cameras on these streets can be cross referred with footage from the street violence.

By comparing clothing, build etc. a positive Id can be made.

• Advertisement

I don't recall making accusations.

I did however read your post where the lovely nice people rioting where clearly just expressing themselves.

Not intimidating the general public. The silly little nurses should get over themselves. They were wrong to be fearfull

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement