Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Children stabbed in Dublin city centre **Read OP before posting**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Funded by Americans and Brits .

Of course it is, the far right are under everybodie beds at this stages

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Astartes

Children being stabbed is worse than a few bust windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

No it would

Billions thrown at providing for actors

Everyone needs someone to blame

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭davepatr07

We'll talk about this for weeks and months on end and nothing will be done.... if we are really concerned about our country's future with regards to justice and housing etc.... change needs to start from the top. As the saying goes, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

And that's a very fair point. But this isn't an either/or situation. We should still have proper control of our borders. It's incomprehensible that we would allow people in and into society without knowing who they are. That's not responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

what do you think we need to do? dublin city centre has always been full of scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Last night I said to my other half I am shocked by what happened but not surprised. We have raised a generation of mostly young men who racket up convictions like they are trophies. There are no actual consequences. They might do odd short stint in prison every now and again. Mostly they are free to do as they please. Everyone in their communities can see that no matter what these guys do they are back out on the streets free to create more social disorder.

Any encounter with a guard they are straight out with their smart phones recording, screaming about their rights. Who would want to be a guard in this country. Guards are vital to our society. Most of the time the guards are wasting their time arresting people. The behaviour of these lads is escalating and that became glaringly obvious during Covid.

You throw in all the other major issues facing us in Irish society and honestly it was just a tinderbox waiting for a match. The match in this case was the attack yesterday afternoon.

The government have created the conditions for what happened yesterday. Also yes the people who wrecked havoc in Dublin are also responsible for what happened.

We as voters need to make our voices heard next time we get a knock on our door looking for votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think most people define illegal migration as that that exists outside the work permit or visa system, arranged before arrival.

This definition would therefore include people arriving here illegally who do not have a regularised status until they make their asylum claim or people overstaying education or work visas.

The real issue is not the legal definitions or getting caught up in those weeds, it's the fact we are expected to go along with the pretense that all the asylum arrivals are fleeing war and not the fact that the majority are actually bogus. 70% ish at the last check iirc get their claim denied at the first try, but the strategy is to tie the system up for so long that it effectively gives up and you get indefinite leave to remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It's not an either/or choice that we have to make between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Both are very wrong- and eh, your “few bust windows” is actually being estimated now as 10s of millions of euro worth of damage by our Taoiseach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭rowantree18

I get where you're coming from - but the "young men" I saw last night in town where I was stuck until 10pm....have never worked. The "family home" is a free one. They and their parents have never taken responsibility for their own lives and are drip fed social welfare forever. They want housing - what they mean is "gimme a free house". They start reproducing at about 17. And so it goes. On an on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Must not have had any fah-cil-ih-eeez.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭yagan

The priority for this and the previous government has been rent roll, so as long as property prices recovered the majority of those who do vote don't give a fig what happens to north inner city Dublin, and let's be honest for an awful lot of the country their only interaction is events in Croke Park.

The pandemic set a few trends too like teams no longer hanging around in Dublin after a final, preferring to return that night.

These riots will have put a lot of people off shopping in Dublin this xmas, and that could have a spiral effect. The key is breaking up the creational violence lifestyle that's been ignored for decades. However if you told a community they'll be hosting a bus of Ukrainian refugees or a bus of inner city scrotes they'll pick the Ukranians every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

So the rioters are far right but no mention of the attacker being a Muslim? Funny how there is never any proof needed to call people far right.

The attacker being a Muslim is pretty obviously playing the refugee game, I’m pretty sure the Brazilian guy that jumped in to help was not a refugee. You won’t hear the media talk about the chancers playing the refugee system from backwards Islamic countries coming here to live off the welfare state and you see the same apologists comparing working migrants to fakugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Sigma101

A false dichotomy repeated ad nauseum by far right nutters on social media this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭BagofWeed

Official Ireland caught with it's pants down last night, like a rabbit dazzled by the headlights. Nothing will be done about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Paul Reyonlds on RTE News talking about how rioters stole trainers from shop displays, sometines taking two right trainers and how police can identify them by examing the discarded old trainers on the street. Shouldn't laugh really.

I didn't know there was such shoe poverty in the far fright community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

A lot of people who come to Dublin for Xmas to get their gifts and have a day/night out will be reconsidering after last night. Yeah its unlikely to happen anytime again soon but could you blame people for swerving Dublin for Xmas which is a crucial time when it comes to making money?

Catastrophic when it comes to guessing the overall economic cost of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭davepatr07

Politicians from the top involved in community think tanks, listen more to peoples needs and concerns from a local, regional and national level. There needs to be an overall of policies that are currently outdated (especially justice, law) that don't reflect society today also cater to larger population. So far Gov have had their head in the sand with regards to tackling problems and issues. There needs to be a collective proactive involvement for the good of the country. I'm from Dublin, born and bred, I don't want to see this country run into the gutter. I was disgusted as much as the next person at what happened last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

The people who volunteer with the charity MSoE do yes, I'm aware. A great pity that a country who boasts such economic achievements depend on the charity of the religious groups in this country to help those on the margins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭TokTik

Really? I’d love to go to Australia again. Could I just rock up, get a gaff, a few quid pocket money, free healthcare etc?? Where do I sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

if you had reason to claim asylum you could, yeah, they take in refugees in Australia and provide for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Hamachi

And I work for an MNC with several thousand employees in Dublin, the majority of whom are Irish..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,292 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

What happened to the children was worse but it was more than a few bust windows and you know it.

Citizens, shopworkers terrified by a riot.

Hotel lobby attacked.

Maternity hospital put into lockdown.

Looting.

Public transport set on fire.

Fire brigade attacked trying to put out fires.

You show zero concern for any of them.

But of course, here you are trying to gaslight what happened last night to get scumbag rioters off the hook. Do you condemn them or cheer them on?

We can see the pictures ourselves, it wasn't just a few bust windows, that is a lie that won't stick.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

How can someone living on welfare be described as far-right? It’s ludicrous, the labels are unsuitable, and seem to be part of an ongoing media campaign to create a false dichotomy. We don’t have a huge left/right divide in Ireland, stop trying to make one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Yes, Arnotts said they were open until 9pm but had to close at 7pm due to safety. Staff would have been rostered on to 9 and were probably just restocking and preparing for tomorrow.

I used to work with BT (same company). When it closes at night, everybody is out of there bar some Security and cash office folk. Staff would never work late but would occasionally work early the next day. Thats why I was confused as to why staff were there.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement