Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jozef Puska guilty of murder of Ashling Murphy (Mod notes and threadbans in op)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You know fine well what the distinction is, and it's not race, yet you'll gladly pretend otherwise just so that you can use the race card.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Laughable. The cases aren’t comparable, that’s all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is an issue our non full participation in the Schengen area and the Schengen Information System that might have flagged someone convicted of statutory rape ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭suvigirl

While we are not a schengen member, we fully participate in the schengen information system.

I'm not sure why you think it would flag this individual though, people with criminal convictions are entitled to travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭tom23

why should people with criminal convictions be entitled to travel? the same applies to our own criminals who go to spain etc. I think once you commit a criminal act especially on the more serious side you forfeit the right to be able to travel to another jurisdiction.

Lots of different reasons really, what type of crimes should stop you travelling? The types of crime or the amount of previous convictions?

How do you stop people from leaving the country?

What do you consider travel? A day trip to Wales, a month in Thailand, a match in old Trafford, a week in Lanzarote?

if being forbidden to leave Ireland was part of the punishment, it would have to be given at sentence. No legislation that I know allows for that punishment. You can't sentence people for a crime and then at a later stage penalize them again.

surely the right of entry to another country is entirely dependant on the policies of that country. We cannot control their borders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭spakman

It could be done in a similar way to the USA. If you have a conviction for drug possession for example, you won't get a visa to enter the states.

Crime is crime. Victims of crime stay victims of crime. If the criminal behaviour is fraud or murder it's all the same to me.

If Puska committed the crime he committed here in his native Slovakia should he be allowed to travel to Ireland once he served his sentence? Would you think that's acceptable? If yes, why?

You can't sentence people for a crime and then at a later stage penalise them again. why not? Are we not allowed to have a standard as to who enters this country so it poses less risk to its citizens or is it free for all in the name of heal the world?

And the polices of this country... well I've been wondering about that for a long time. I often wonder do we actually have any?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

So you want visas to travel across the EU? Just queue up at an embassy before a stag in Prague or a rugby match in Paris? Why do I feel you wouldn't be so in favour of it impeded your movement?

So I want visas to travel across the EU... please point exactly where I wrote that, thank you. But for the record so we can make sure you have the right feeling and assumption when you pen your next response is that it would be sensible to not qualify for a visa or entry into another country if you had a criminal conviction.

PS I Don't watch Rugby, it's a shite game. Have no interest in stags.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If the governent implemented policy correctly then its very likely she would be still alive.

If he had to work to satisfy conditions to stay here then maybe he wouldn't have had free time to be following around women.

Or maybe he would have moved somewhere else.

But sure our governent, welcome to the land of freebies, no need to work and we will give you a 5 bedroom house most working people couldn't dream of affording themselves.

I hope they get absolutely hammered in the next election and people let them know when they knock on doors looking for votes.

Will anything actually change after this, they will probably talk about it for awhile and do nothing.

The fact that some people are here calling people racist and far right is astonishing and they should hang their heads in shame.

Do you think you will get a visa for Ireland with drug convictions?

That exactly what you want! You said it would be sensible to have a visa system like America.

So you either do want visas to travel over Europe or you don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So I want visas to travel across the EU... please point exactly where I wrote that, thank you.

You agreed with a post that suggested we have a policy similar to that of the US where entry can be denied because of various criminal convictions.

To do that in Ireland you would have to restrict free travel and put a visa system in place for all entering the country, otherwise how would you determine who has or doesn't have a criminal conviction.

Why can't you punish people twice at different times for the same crime?

Really?

And how do you implement that when the majority of EU countries don't have physical borders? how do you stop someone with a criminal conviction just driving from Germany into Austria? or Spain to Portugal? Does someone with a criminal conviction just neve qualify for an ID?

Amazing how many of these "simple ideas" translate to "I want freedom of movement but don't want other people to have it.

Someone with a criminal record can qualify for an ID, Why wouldn't they? Im sure they would need that to go about their business in their own country. Someone with a criminal record a particularly serious one doesn't get to have freedom of movement. Why should one person be able to commit a crime in one jurisdiction and be allowed to travel to another and for that country to have no idea of what or who they are and for that criminal be able to commit more crime in that country. what part of that is offensive to yourself?

• Advertisement

It's not offensive, just unworkable pie in the sky garbage. But i ask again how you would implement it? or are you just ranting for the sake of it.

In your world a crime commited at say 16 disqualifies you from ever attempting to better your life? seems a bit north korea to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod - There is still another case, relating to this one, that is currently before the courts.

Do not discuss it please

I really cannot answer that. Believing that you should be able to go back to criminals who have served their sentence, and keep giving them further punishments, is just some crazy stuff.

Serve their sentences... Jesus that's laughable. What about victims of crime? Their sentences never really end do they? Puska will serve his sentence. Will be fed, educated and he might even learn English to help him communicate better, every need will be met. Does he deserve to go travelling around Europe when he gets out? Like hell he does. Do you actually believe that criminals, especially hardened ones ever truly rehabilitate? Fair play if you do. I'll take a slice of that heal the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The poster is right though. You are looking for retribution, not justice. If someone served their sentence they should be free to live like any other member of society. Not every person reoffends.

Well you see here's the rub.. Joseph Puska had a conviction at 16 didn't he? He certainly got a better life for himself here, unfortunately his victim didn't. I guess some crimes are more heinous than others. How would I implement... I don't have straight answers for that. But I reckon technology and shared criminal conviction databases could be shared. I know there is some there already but it's still rudimentary.

And how do you stop them crossing borders? Have you ever travelled around Europe?

It's not really laughable, that's justice. Someone is found guilty of a crime, they serve a sentence.

I'm not even sure what you're looking for here.......

Some sources say he did, some say he didn't, and since he was also underage he was under 15.

Puska has no previous convictions, although he was cautioned for having sex with an underage girl when he too was below the age of consent in his homeland.

Ashling Murphy killer 'had short circuit in brain' during murder, claim shocked friends - World News - Mirror Online

Ah yeah, let's normalize facial recognition and GPS tracking for lads who were caught driving without insurance 20 years previously, completely goes against the ethos of a republic but shure why not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Unless I am missing something than what is with the talk of visas to enter here.

I believe he came here legally through the EU but should have been deported after not finding employment to satisfy the criteria to stay.

You could only imagine how many other people are scratching there balls watching Jeremy Kyle while irish and legal immigrants work to pay for it.

If we enforced the law than he would not be here and she would be alive.

That is completely on the goverment who will do absolutely nothing to change things.

Worrying about someone's feelings online seems to be more of a pressing concern for our lot.

This should be the final nail in their coffin and they should be booted out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement