Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Does Donegal Have So Many Fatal Road Accidents?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

That article only covers 2022 (and not even the full year), and those stats are very prone to statistical fluctuation.

You can see that the previous year, Sligo had been one of the 'safest' counties on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭JeffreyEpspeen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Probably wobbly. What I observe matches the RSA's report that revealed that the counties where speed featured most as a contributory factor in collisions were Donegal (8.4%), Cork (8%), Wexford (8%), Cavan (7%) and Galway (7%) and that 91% of culpable drivers in speed-related collisions were male.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭timmyntc

So what about the other 91.6% of collisions? What did you observe about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think someone posted earlier about how we never hear what the cause of road deaths are.

These are all passed off as "terrible accidents" when in fact the vast majority are probably anything but.

Most probably involved alcohol, drugs, excessive speed, dangerous driving, mobile phone use, suicide or bald tyres. But we never hear of any cause, and as a result we are putting our heads in the sand and not addressing the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,871 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Every road death has to have a jury inquest. Every road accident reported to the Gardai should result in some investigation. The fact that the RSA can apparently publish statistics about speed means they must be getting the data from someone? Depending on the circumstances, some cases can result in legal proceedings. Details of inquests and court cases are made public. There is no excuse for people guessing about accidents, when they could make the effort to find out.

Here is a report where bald tyres are highlighted in the cause of the accident.

https://www.donegallive.ie/news/donegal-news/719638/bald-tyres-seriously-inhibited-car-in-which-19-year-old-donegal-man-died.html

Indeed, good point. However, Donegal drivers, worse in the country. That's why people aren't keen on DL reg plates on a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

so if its donegal, its a statistical anomaly that figures are low cos we know the drivers are bad.

everywhere else is a statistical anomaly because of what ? what a ridiculous statement.

if you don't like driving in donegal stay away.

That comes from an analysis of accidents from 2008 to 2012. Were you observing driving behaviour in Donegal during those years?

It was still Donegal then. Stats are most likely worse now, you should look them up.

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think you're responding to a point i wasn't making. i was responding to the post immediately above mine (which is now the last one on the prvious page) where the poster stated "Sligo, Monaghan, Limerick, Cavan, Kilkenny, Roscommon, Wexford, Clare, Louth and Longford all have more deaths per capita than Donegal."

my point was, Sligo had most deaths per capita in that specific span of 11 months; that that is far from a long term average. i was not stating anything about Donegal specifically.

Old habits die hard and I'm seeing no difference when I visit Donegal. General bad driving, fly tipping, speeding, carelessness, etc... Have you seen a vast improvements?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I've spent a fair bit of ntime in Donegal but not from there- a few observations:

(i) Main arteries are very good. The N56 has had huge investment, the road improvement works on it seem neverending.

(ii) Back roads - I wouldnt say they are bad roads - they are beautiful to cycle on. But just not suit for driving, or at least for driving any sort of distance. There is little can be done to change that; or to put it differently, as a tax payer I dont support spending gazillions on widening and repaving every little back road in Donegal. In addition, the landscape is a lot more undulating than in other parts of the country, more sharp bends, rises, dips.

(iii) What doesnt help AT ALL is the ridiculosuly high speed limits on these back roads. Many of them are 80k or 100k routes when they should be 50k limit at the very most. To put it differently, dangerous driving is legal.

(iii) the drivers sure like to overtake.

(iv) It certainly has a rep. Its not the worst place statistically for fatal accidents - which in the real world means it actually isnt the worst place, whatever ones opinion might be. But its not the best either, by a long shot. The driving culture could certainly improve.

(v) its a not the biggest county, but maybe the hardest to drive around. For example Carndonagh to Glencolmcille would take two and a half hours, without ever leaving donegal. Is there a longer drive between two towns in the same county? Not sure this relates.

(v) the one exception to this is Tory Island, which has the safest drivers anywhere in ireland.

If those limits are ridiculous in Donegal, then they would be equally ridiculous in other counties. Which they are. I drove out from a narrow road which had a 80 limit on to a much wider road which had a 50 in Co Louth. There could be changes on the way for the whole country, with proposals to bring 80 down to 60 generally.

Completely agree, with caveat around my comment which I think is true that the landscape in Donegal is more undulating than elsewhere. Louth is largely flat and therefore more likely to have straight roads. Driving in donegal can be a like a ride in Tayto Park sometimes, up and down, up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Here's an article about the state of roads:

Donegal and Mayo have the highest percentages requiring total reconstruction and high on roads needing structural repair, so could be something going on there.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,485 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I think the attitude of many Donegal drivers towards number plates is a good indicator of their attitude towards road traffic law in general.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Hmm - kind of what I said earlier - I dont want my tax payers money invested in 'total reconstruction' of every back road in Donegal which get at best a few dozen cars each hour. On a per traffic or per volume basis - I'd have a fairly strong view that roads in Dublin are much more in need of investment.

I was just typing about this, number plates with awful serifed fonts, people with identity issues putting yellow coloured rear plates on ROI cars and butchering perfectly engineered (by professionals) suspension systems so not only do the wheels not fit the arches properly but the entire cars performance is diminished. So not only are the drivers deplorable, the cars are too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It is an explanation for higher road deaths on a thread about Donegal road deaths.

How much is spent on actually repairing them is a different matter.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

On our road, a rise had sunk at the top causing a major dip on top of a rise. Two more areas sunk directly after it. If you hit the rise at any speed faster that 30mph, you will get flung around the road and because of the way it is, you would barely notice it until you hit it. It has been like that for ages. Only recently, the council put a sign on either side of it saying "slow, danger ahead". Those signs will probably sit there for another couple of years.

Likewise we had another part of a road sink. Again, difficult to see because there is no defined edge (like a pothole would) and people generally didn't realise how deep it was until they were in it. It was just before a bend and people had started going around it to save their bumpers/shocks, or else you'd have to a near stop and go through it in 1st gear. The council were doing works that corner and put the traffic lights in a way that made everyone go into it. Then I guess their own lorries went into it, so they fixed it.

Both of those sunken parts of the road appeared within a day or two. Neither were/are very obvious from inside the car. Thankfully neither have caused any major accidents except damage to some cars, but they very well could have.

Other intelligent decisions that have been made include taking the grass verge away on a very steep hill to "widen" it, putting in sharp and deep drains instead, then painting lines (in the middle of nowhere) that make the road more narrow than it was before. We've also had a section of road widened and they've left a tree in the wider part of the road.

Appointment in Donegal Town this morning. On the way up and way back I had people right up my hole before dangerously overtaking. I drive a fair bit all over and it's odd you'd see such dangerous driving once in an average week let alone twice in the space of an hour.

Looked over at one lad overtaking me expecting to see the usual scrawny potato headed teen and it was a bearded, middle-aged man with grey hair!

If there was a way to get these boys outside of a car without having them crash into the back of mine or me having to break the rules of the road going after them I wonder how brave most of them would be?

Remember driving in Glendalough and had a young lad stupid enough to tailgate me with full lights on on a narrow country road with literally no space to overtake and nowhere to go. Almost had him and the girl he was with in tears when I stopped and got out of the car. Was awhile before there was another car behind me afterwards.

Did you shoot a man in Reno just to watch him die?

I've said my piece, Chrissy.

You were an outsider driving in the county? Some or all of the bad drivers you saw could have been outsiders as well. NI drivers have a bad reputation when they are in the Republic. It sounds as if the overaker wasn't doing 120 when you could work out his age and notice the beard.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,485 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It sounds as if the overaker wasn't doing 120 when you could work out his age and notice the beard.

Well that makes it all OK... 🙄

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I’m my experience the road surfaces aren’t that bad. It’s the lack of traffic cops anywhere that allows the speeding, aggressive and reckless driving to go unpunished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I don’t understand what the the yellow back plate is all about on southern cars when it is not the standard here. Saying that though I do think it’s a good idea.

I wouldn’t put one on my car unless it was the norm though.

Advertisement