Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Does Donegal Have So Many Fatal Road Accidents?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Driving in Ireland is stressful enough - roads are shocking in places. What is it about drivers wanting to drive as close as is possible without actually hitting you, trying to push you out of their way. Undertaking - general awareness of surroundings and upcoming issues is shockingly bad - interpreting scenarios . Entering a motorway or dual carriageway - no-one seems to signal that they are entering, the rule is the entering car does NOT got priority over the drivers already on the road. Here is Ireland, it seems that many people have the opposite attitude. Its like move out of my way , even though it may not be possible for cars already on the road to do so.

Other contribution to behaviours of some, not all of course, is not driving appropriately to the road conditions - physical weather , physical road, both.

Friends and family in France have driven in Ireland and were scared at times.

A cousin got done for speeding in France - it was raining and he hadn't dropped his speed. Knowing what he is like, I am surprised that's all he got (bit of a I know better attitude etc)

I had to drive during the early part of storm Agnes, even then people were driving way to fast for the conditions. I think its a general attitude from many people, that they don't care, that they don't think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,148 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Here's a bit of trivia - if Leitrim and Longford were ever to meet in an all Ireland, you'd be able to fit the entire populations of both counties in croke park as spectators. If all driving on Leitrim roads was done by residents only, they'd have to average nearly 30k km each before a billion was reached. That's every man, woman and child, not just motorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Well i do have and have indeed provided the evidence to support my claims.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

no you didn't, you provided old news articles.

rsa figures for first 6 months of 2023

it'snot hard to find, can we close this misleading titled thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

It’s 100% a cultural Donegal thing. Driving is utterly reckless across the whole county. It’s not just a boy racer/rally head thing either.

My wife was working in Letterkenny for the year and I used to drive up quite a bit. The Lifford to LK road is small and bendy as hell. I’m in no way a Sunday driver and would tip on. Every kind of car would try and overtake me anywhere on the road regardless of what conditions and or timing was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I wouldn't call lifford to letterkenny small and winding that's for sure

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I never got the bad roads in Donegal thing. They've some of the best maintained roads in the country. Try Tipperary for bad roads. I think it's bad driving more than bad roads, seems to be the culture up there unfortunately which you think have changed by now considering the amount of families that must have been affected by a road death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

What's misleading about it? I just asked a question why a county with a population of 166,321 (Cork city alone has a bigger population than county Donegal) thousand people, has such an appalling road safety record?

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Why are you particularly appalled by the safety record in Donegal? It is no worse than lots of other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It is substandard for a national route and is due for replacement.

But there is no such thing as a bad road, only bad drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Road alignment is a far bigger factor than road surface/maintenance.

Donegal has very low % of engineered roads

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

I think part of the issue is that for every fatality we hear of, on a sadly weekly basis at this stage , we don't know fully the cause of the accident.

Of course if you lose a loved one, you don't necessarily want the reason made public especially if they were the cause of their own demise, but how often do we hear of an accident, might know of the location and assume the cause because ' its a bad road' ?. Equally, a young man or woman driving in the early hours ' probably had drink / drugs taken or was speeding because he/she was driving a golf' where for all we know a deer might have jumped out in front of them.

To tackle a problem like road deaths you need to review the cold hard facts , no matter how tragic they may be, then you try put a plan in place to try to limit or reduce the likelihood of in happening again.

The Gardai have to investigate the causes of accidents. And if there is a fatality, there will be an inquest. The Coroner will sometimes make recommendations about things like accident black spots. The Garda investigation can continue after the inquest, and in some cases can lead to court proceedings. These details are published in newspapers and other media. I don't want to put links to particular cases, but they can be found online.

"By law an inquest into a death resulting from a road traffic collision must be held before a jury. The Coroner explains that the inquest aims to establish the cause of this unnatural death without blaming anyone. The Coroner then decides which witnesses are called and what evidence can be entered for hearing."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I wish someone would go up and tell them, cause they haven't copped on after all these years and continue to drive like lemmings.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

The problem here is though, that the enquiry will take place months after the event and will invariably be reported either in local media as a follow up piece or a if a slow news day, a few lines in the national papers. Either way it will be under the radar and will be just another coroners report.

I'm in no way advocating for a morbid national accident coroners report either , and I know the info is there for you to find, its just seems that the media will commit a far more proportionate time to the accident but very little to the outcome of the investigation.

And as you say a coroner can only make recommendations, but is that message being related up the channels to the right people?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Remember the crash in Donegal where they had 8 people in the car, driving at speed, all killed, that is utter madness and I don't think it would happen in any other county.

Shaun Kelly, I think he was the only survivor, 7 died in his car, he killed a 66-year-old man on his way back from bingo too and sneakily tried to blame the accident on the innocent dead victim.

In a county with barely any Gardai he was stopped for speeding again a year later!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,091 ✭✭✭pgj2015

What was his punishment?

4 years with 2 years suspended, Jesus.

Speeding in an over loaded car, so stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

The stats don't support this. If people in Donegal drive like lemmings, there's counties out there that are worse. Without Googling, i assume you can name them too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

A few bad ones all right but logically, those high numbers will actually skew the stats and means Donegal is actually safer than it first appears.

Those cases with multiple deaths are very rural areas and no public transport, hence multiple people in cars. Inishowen and West Donegal have very bad roads in particular.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Lot of hidden dips around bends in Donegal. It's a hilly county. All the Donegal accidents seem to happen in the northern half of the county, mainly Inishowen but the occasional elsewhere.

I was watching a biker travel around Ireland and he said, Ireland is probably the most stressful country he has ever biked in. This is due to the speed on windy roads and height of the hedgerows being taller than vehicles and not being able to see around the corners to anticipate danger.

I never thought much about it before, but lowering hedgerows is probably something that could help with anticpating danger. I know we have some biodiversity rules from preventing them being cut.

• Therein lies an issue indeed. Air accidents are full reported and available to view online, whether it be an Aer Lingus A320 or John’s little Cessna at the local flying club. The fact that John is well known, doesn’t stop his bad handling, his decision to put cheap fuel in the tanks, his decision to fly solo with brand new varifocal spectacles, or his having being deemed medically unfit to fly his plane being reported in detail for all to check up on. Of course he is not named on the report but everyone knows it’s his accident being reported on. I’m taking examples there from real reports.

there should be an east to find portal of road traffic accident reports. It wouldn’t be naming but everyone in a community would of course known the identities, just like the aviation cases. Maybe the fear is that the ability to read all the technical details would lead to more rage and revenge 🤨 and RTAs are way more commonplace than aircraft ones which could evoke similar response, as happened to a Swiss Air Traffic Controller after a mid-air collision when he was stuck alone in the control room without a break.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,148 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Inishowen is not exactly choked with hedgerows though. You could argue the opposite too - that without clear sight lines people slow down, they're more likely to open up and speed if they think they can see the road ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

People always looking for excuses. Follow the rules and laws of the road. Add common sense and courtesy too if you can manage that. Slow down. Or don't drive.

There are many, many ways to save lives and have a better future for everyone. But people don't care, or think they know better, until life hits them a wallop.

Technology could stop most traffic accidents but people would complain they were being monitored or losing personal freedom. Self drive cars, people would complain they have a right to drive etc etc etc

Instead they'd cut down hedge rows. Here's a thing - cut down the hedge rows but replace them with large wilderness areas with no traffic for wildlife.

But, ... People will still die on the roads. See paragraph 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

“Every young lad is to racing cars”

Simply false. I wasn’t nor were the vast majority of the lads in my year. Boy racer problem? absolutely but it’s a lot less than it was 20 years ago.

I drive all over the country, have done for years. It's the lack of skills, basic driving skills & lack of care for anyone else on the road that's evident when you hit Donegal. It's 100% worse than any other county. As I told you already, Cork has a worse record, but it's a lot bigger & there's a lot more people there than there is in Donegal.

I think it's a lack of maturity. Particularly among young to middle aged men in Donegal. I find the fly tipping and general misbehaviour among this group bad to in Donegal. I wish they'd grow up, but it's obviously a cultural thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,524 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What makes Ireland a stressful country to ride a motorcycle in is the complete lack of consideration / observation of far too many car drivers (smaller must yield to bigger, that's if they see you at all), along with stuff like loose chippings / potholes / diesel / mud and shíte dumped on to the road by builders and farmers with abandon.

Cutting hedgerows so car drivers can see over them would basically mean no hedgerows. If they're that lacking in driving ability / basic cop-on it's unlikely to help anyway.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

What you can observe is probably something like 0.00001% of all the journeys made in Donegal in a year. Far too small a sample to arrive at any conclusion. There is recency bias for the basis of this thread starting, and I often observe bad driving in different counties. The actual statistics for deaths does not mark out Donegal as being particularly dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Donegal is actually just above middle of the table in terms of road deaths per capita. There's ten counties with more road deaths per capita than Donegal.

Sligo, Monaghan, Limerick, Cavan, Kilkenny, Roscommon, Wexford, Clare, Louth and Longford all have more deaths per capita than Donegal.

Advertisement