Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's all take Blindboy seriously now...

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

What is your problem with that answer really? Why does it make you so angry.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I completely agree. The level of rage is completely disproportionate with what was said.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

Agree. To be fair might roll my eyes a little, but such a strong reaction is very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

😂😂🤣🤣Thanks for the psychological analysis much appreciated, it's saved me years of therapy.

There's a special kind of gormless eejit these days who thinks empathy and kindness are some kind of superpower and also the most important thing in the world, they're not, most people have plenty of empathy and kindness they just don't need to go around telling everyone they do and how important is.

Doesn't really make me angry.It's just the pathetic virtue signalling nature of it and taking a fairly lighthearted harmless question so seriously in order to make himself look important.The answer makes him look like a pretentious gobshite.

• Advertisement

“It's the pathetic virtue signalling nature of it and taking a fairly lighthearted harmless question so seriously in order to make himself look important.The answer makes him look like a pretentious gobshite.”

Smells like anger to me. Instead of being emotional, can you actually explain the problem with his answer. I’d really prefer to avoid things like “virtue signalling”. It’s a nothing phrase that’s overused

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I presume the assumption is that he's being insincere to give that answer... I guess?

I don't really understand the strong emotions he seems to stir in some people. I've enjoyed some of his content through the years. A lot of the Rubberbandits stuff was inspired back in the day.

I've dipped in and out of the podcast every now and again. It can be hit and miss: sometimes a very funny segment or a good guest. Other times it sounds to me like he's totally waffling or spoofing.

What he has to say doesn't impinge on my life in any meaningful way, certainly not to the extent that I feel actively irritated by him. If you don't listen to his podcast or read interviews with the guy it seems to me that you shouldn't really be all that concerned with him at all. He's easily ignored if you don't like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Sorry to burst your bubble, A, but if you found the Rubber Bandits stuff “inspired” you were, more than likely, missing the point. Or at least the one Blind Boy Boat Club retrofitted about the Rubber Bandits’ work.

He has since claimed that the early fans of the group, the ones who bought their CDs and went to see them live, weren’t the fans they wanted and had completely missed that it was some form of meta-satire of not making fun of skanger lifestyles in Limerick but instead it was actually laughing at the type of people who would laugh at that sort of thing, through the medium of making fun of skanger lifestyles in Limerick.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Blindboy boatclub has had more success, positive notoriety and has done more for the promotion of positive mental health than anyone on this thread could possibly achieve in 100 lifetimes. Any anger directed at him comes from a place of jealousy and is not to be taken seriously.

I explained the issue with his answer.

It's insincere bullshit used to pander to gobshites.

You don't agree with my explanation then fine.

What the hell is up with people on this forum that you continually have to spell everything out for them like they're a 6 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

It's moreso the venom of your delivery that's baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's a discussion board, if you just want to state something without being challenged on it, then I understand Instagram or Facebook is the place to go to.

I know I find it very intriguing that someone advocating for others to have empathy is seen as insincere bullshit. Do you believe that no one can express such a view without it being motivated just to garner likes or attention?

If you do genuinely believe, this, I would repeat my post about printing that out and taking it to a therapist, it's not a normal or rational viewpoint.

My viewpoint is perfectly normal and rational. Pretentiousness like he displayed in his answer to a lighthearted question makes him seem like a gobshite.

Thanks for the health advice but I'm not going to take any from some random nobody on the internet like yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I can only speak to my own response to their output back in the day. But I'd like to see those quotes for further context.

Was there a large part to the Rubberbandits schtick that played up to certain stereotypes for easy laughs? Yes, absolutely.

But, I also think their best songs were musically interesting, fresh and funny and their appeal, to me, had as much to do with the absurdist humour that they had going on, as opposed to just merely laughing at the working class or whatever else. A song like Spoiling Ivan, for instance, is just strange and disturbing - and I love it for that. There was way more to their act than just one dimension. Other songs like Fellas, Dad's Best Friend or Double Dropping Yokes with Eamonn DeValera weren't just piss takes of working class stereotypes.

I also think back to some of the stuff they did on Republic of Telly where their skits were way sharper and more fully realised than what was going on around them. I remember being genuinely impressed by the Salmon of No Craic sketch. Sustained surreal hillariousness, which I did find inspired. I see more of that today in Bobby Fingers' videos than in anything Blindboy does now.

Blindboy could tell someone the time of day and people would accuse him of being pretentious.

There's some that always throw that at him, and they're always going to. (This is precisely why he wears the bag on his head you know)

It's not perfectly normal and rational to think asking others to have empathy by the way. It's a lot of things, its not that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 OnTheCorner

So he answered your question, you completely dismiss his answer and ask him to answer it again using different words? Strange. I get the feeling any answer he gives would not be acceptable to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

We take politicians seriously so why not a lad with a plastic bag on his head?

🙈🙉🙊

He didn’t answer my question. He threw a load of angry insults. Weird carry on

they/them/theirs

You’re just repeating insults. You’re absolutely not explaining why it’s making you so angry. I don’t think you’re capable of explaining it to be honest.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭ruth...less

All I know about him his that my bruh sends me the odd meaningful song thing thang that he does and honestly if it hits the spot and has good message who gives a ****!

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

It's not even a particularly pretentious answer, it's a bad question that he answered in a different way and it's seemed to rile you to no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It's funny because he talks a lot about struggling to express himself when he was younger because of all that old school masculinity crap like 'boys don't cry' and being sensitive or creative is a sign of weakness. How you couldn't do lots of things that weren't safe masculine things for fear of being labelled 'soft' or 'gay'. This kind of repressing yourself to not upset the norm. At the same time, because of his undiagnosed autism, he got called weird loads because he'd say atypical things or stuff that made people uncomfortable.

I think a lot of people who complain about him nowadays would have been the ones calling him soft or weird when he was a kid. And they definitely served as inspiration for songs like Dad's Best Friend and Fellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Yep😊 That's how I'm talking these days 😂😂😂 it's my new style 😂

I was a television version of a person with a broken heart...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,790 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it was only after i started watching the bobby fingers videos that i copped that he must have also created the gabriel byrne doll from 'fellas'.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not quite sure what your point is, usually when someone mentions the other party uses a thesaurus it means they are subconsciously bowing to their superior intellect

If he ever does have children, they'll be raised by a compassionate father who won't try to force them in to being anything but will offer them support and love.

Things that unfortunately, not every child gets to experience.

Anyone who listens to his podcasts with anything approaching an open mind will know how acutely aware he is of the impact adults have on children in both positive and negative ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

As someone who has listened to probably just under half of the guys podcasts - I have to admit I have never heard him claim that everyone has a mental health problem and that everyone is a loser.

Working on the assumption that you are not simply dishonest and straw-manning words into peoples mouth that they never said - perhaps you could maybe offer a few quotes and citations to this effect? Because yes I would very much agree that offering the claim that everyone is a loser and everyone has mental health problems would be a poor position to be espousing.

If you've listened to Blindboys podcasts, and your takeaway is that he thinks he is a loser, then I don't know what to tell you.

I've seen highly qualified mental health experts praise him for what he has done around mental health in terms of his speaking on it and if they don't have any issue with it, I think it says a lot. They would naturally be very intune with what could constitute harmful behavior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭randd1

Look, the lad does plenty of good work, he does try to help people, and for that he is to be commended. He's not out to do anyone, and for the most part he's bland and inoffensive. Sounds like a decent chap who is trying to do some good with his position.

That being said, it's not an unreasonable position to take that a lad wearing a plastic bag on his head, putting on a fake accent and constantly going on about mental health like an expert despite not having an qualification in the field (that I know of), is a bit of a know-it-all eejit.

Advertisement