Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garth Brooks - Croke Pk Sept 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

He hasn't sold anywhere near the amount Elvis and Michael Jackson did and continue to sell worldwide though...He can't touch either of them worldwide. Never could and never will

As of June 2021, officially, Michael Jackson is now the biggest selling solo artist of all time.

Garth Brooks has sold between 170-180 million albums worldwide. 140-150 million of them in the US. Thriller has probably sold about that much alone worldwide. On last viewing, Jackson has 2 albums in the top 10 biggest selling of all time and 3 in the top 30. Elvis has one in the top 40. Garth has none!

Brooks and his releases haven't exactly set the US charts alight in the recent past. But that could be because of a variety of reasons. Lack of Spotify, more a performer these days than a writer, not as good as previous releases etc

In the US? Yep, the numbers and attendance back it up. No question.

Worldwide? Absolutely no chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

apparently as of last month The Beatles are no1 for worldwide album sales

Brooks is no2, Elvis no3

Jackson is no6

though I read somewhere else that Taylor swift (for example) is thought to have sold around 114m albums and she isn't on this list so maybe needs to be treated with caution.

maybe the first one doesn't include streaming services. seems a little off either way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

At a conservative estimate, The Beatles have been estimated to have sold north of half a billion albums, and Michael Jacksons thriller anywhere between 70-100 million, so I don't think that list is accurate.

Yeah it seems off, but then it's a statistics company offering a paid report so must have some basis in reality. My guess is when you drill down it doesn't include streaming services or some such restriction e.g. USA sales only even though it says worldwide.

Even then I'd expect Swift to appear on a US scale..nvm, I clearly need more coffee before posting.

• Advertisement

It seems like the ifpi brought in non us certification in 1996, and didn't award retroactively, So it's technically worldwide, but only technically.

That list is for America...

It's not worldwide...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,576 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Abba arent even on the list 😅 400 million albums

I'm a massive hardcore ABBA fan. My number one! Outstanding band. Full of utter bullshit but, amazing band. "Oh those songs aren't about Agnetha" How stupid do they think we are? 😁

But yes, GB ain't ever getting close to the likes of Elvis or Michael Jackson, let alone bands like The Beatles or ABBA. If you were alive during Jackson's era, you'll know this and I imagine it was the same during Elvis' era

Calling GB the biggest solo artist on the planet in the 00's is hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,902 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

the UK is included in the Country2Country tour and must sell well if they keep coming back each year

not sure considered country bit Graham Nash of CSN is English

There's some Scottish guy who is famous enough too

The British and Country music is one of those mystery's

Ironically Country music is huge in South Africa but Garth Brooks is not part of that

• Advertisement

I honestly cannot answer that.

Just off the top of my head, Garth could probably sell out The O2 in London but, not a stadium like in Ireland and America. So from a production and financial point of view, it wouldn't be worth his while.

If he's selling out stadiums yearly in America and can sell out a stadium in Ireland whenever he wants, why bother going elsewhere?

Garth does have a huge ego and I can understand why he wouldn't bother. Why do that when he's a mini God in the territories where they flock to see him? Genuinely, I'm not being sarcastic

There exists a huge anomaly outside the USA, where country music and Garth Brooks are 2 completely separate entities, the likes of Chris Stapleton, Thomas Rhett, Luke Bryan would get solid play on the continent, but Garth wouldn't get 5 nights in the Ritz wearing a suit made of money.

Of course the inverse is true here, Ashley McBryde played to a half empty academy and Kacey Musgrave is playing Whelan's.

It's something I've never understood myself tbh.

I'm looking from the outside. I've never really gotten into the country thing, except for Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Cash etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭Stillill42

It's been such an interesting couple of weeks. I freely admit I'd rather stick pins in my eyes that listen to Garth but I've been pretty impressed with him, seems like a good guy, here for the money, no doubt but not just for the money, I think. Entirely possible to like the man and hate the music. Everyone seemed to have a great time and anyone being snotty about the whole thing came off like an asshole which is as it should be. Anyone who loves live music that much is alright by me. And look at the craic, the warmth, the community. Worse ways for us to spend a trillion euro or whatever the feck it was. Good job everyone.

No issues from me at all.

As I said above, I just find it so odd that some cannot wait to champion him as the patron saint of Ireland yet, will absolutely **** on our own at every opportunity and it's utterly irrelevant whether Bono irritates some people or not, that's not the point! I just can't get on board with that kind of thinking is all.

Other than that, delighted he came, delighted the fans had a good time, delighted people who were dragged along had a good time. That's what it's all about. Especially after the last two years

Yeah the 2014 stuff had a different effect on different people in ways but it all really was a farce and should never of happened. It was a **** up by all parties, why did Aiken try for this, why did the DCC offer Matinées (2 shows a day), why did Garth say 'no 5 or nothing'. All in all it created a load of panic and lessons were learnt. The rolling stones in 2018 had a similar licence issue with moments of hysteria from 2014 but it went ahead thankfully

Personally delighted it ended in a happy way and hope everyone effected got to go to the gigs this year and had a great time

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭slimshady007

Went the first Saturday night with 2 siblings and partners. As kids we were brought up on Garth Brooks playing regularly in the car (like many kids growing up in the 90's) so there was no way we weren't going but hadn't listened to his music in years in all honestly.

I've been to a number of gigs down through the years but this was hands down the best one I've been to. The crowd were electric and he had everyone in the palm of his hand.

Whether he's been genuine about his love for Ireland is a point of debate. For me while he can say anything on the night to play up to the crowd he does seem to have a genuine connection to the country. It was interesting to note on his Netflix documentary when talking about 2014 he said Ireland was the greatest place to play and where he wanted to start his comeback tour. Given his popularity in America and Canada that was quite a statement to make knowinlg those fans would be watching it too. I can't see money been a major factor. Yes he probably walked away with €10-15m for the 5 nights but for someone who's worth 400m it's not going to drastically change his life. As someone mentioned he could've easlily charged €100+ for tickets and people would've still paid it.

It'll be interesting to see the Netflix documentary when it comes out to get a look at it from other perspectives. Given the majority of people were raving about how good he was I think the demand will be similarly high when he (hopefully) returns. That's probably several years down the road though.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭glitterIsland

I'm going to miss galavanting around Dublin.

Time sure flies, a year ago today

No sign of the 'Netflix' special

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Documentaries like that take time. It’s not just a straight concert documentary.

sure he would have to sit through every minute himself and sign off on it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭endainoz

Maybe he's aiming for a Christmas release

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭glitterIsland

What happened to all of the drones and cameras and footage he was recording for these gigs in Croke Park?. Did anything come of it? Any talk of a dvd from the Croke park gigs? They are very slow for a dvd, you would think there would be something coming out by now.

It was for a Netflix documentary and those things can take time especially as it’s not just a concert film but a documentary of his shows/travelling around ireland.

Unless your Taylor Swift and have a full cinema release of a tour while said tour is still ongoing.

and a concert film is a walk in the park to edit than a travelogue/behind the scene documentary where every second is picked apart to ensure its showing the “true” Garth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I'd understand if it was a world tour but all he did was 5 nights in Croke Park and visited a pub in Dingle to pull a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Advertisement

Advertisement