Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garth Brooks - Croke Pk Sept 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭paddyirish23

I 2nd this, was a disgrace no access to toilets after the gig I think they had 6 or 9 for the 1000's on the streets was just a shambles. I can see why the residents kick up such a fuss if its always like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There's been I think 4 shows that went to Belfast instead of the 3 arena because of the layout, they needed a long runway, But that's it, 4 in 13 years is not missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

That's because the rest of the world has basketball shaper arenas. I think the 3 is far better than Odessy for example for gigs, love the giant wall of crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

We really aren't. Most expansive stage I worked at was u2 it was **** mental and it managed to work. We ain't missing out on much at all.

One reason we may miss out is because we are a one shot deal for many acts, it's the 3arena or bust and that's alot of cost to bring stage and set up etc. into an island and not be able play more than one venue.

But we really ain't missing out on much and I've seen promoters take absolute baths on some gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Think most critics in the UK don't really like the type of music he does...

Have to remember, this was the time of Britpop and the trends were going against the type of thing Garth Brooks was doing. From my time in the UK, I wouldn't say he's "popular" there in the same way he is here or America. I can't comment on Europe but, in my own opinion, I can't imagine him being too high on the popularity list

In my mind, he's not my type of music. I wouldn't go to see him but, respect what he does. My whole problem is, I cannot understand why the country treats him like the patron saint yet, we take every opportunity to **** on our own. That to me makes no sense and it's irrelevant if someone is irritated by Bono or not. Fact is they're one of the biggest bands of all time, who came from nothing, from a country and city that was on it's knees at the time and that's not acknowledged or respected. Yet, Garth is the messiah?

Honestly, makes no sense to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I think there was the impression among the Country Music community that he'd gotten a bit too big for his boots (No pun intended) and his perceived deviation from country music with his Chris Gaines album. I may be totally wrong but I thought that that's what I remembered. Sort of a "Who does he think he is". However someone else with more knowledge may be able to shed more light.

If I remember correctly, we are the anomaly in Europe regarding his following.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Some people love him because they'd eat shite out of his hands he's so adept at plámasing them with his I love Oirland schtick. Not a comment on his music, not my cup of tea either but people have different tastes, it'd be a boring world otherwise. But his fawning over him has only been outshone by the week long nonsense in the UK recently.

Just look at his petulance when he couldn't get what he wanted a couple of years ago, he fucked off home with his ball. He doesn't love you, he loves the money you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

I'm not so sure the money matters as much as some think it does, he has more than enough at this stage without ever coming to Ireland for a few more bob. His mother was of Irish descent, Coleen Carroll, I'm surprised more isn't made of his actual Irish roots as to where they are and all that. I wouldn't even know that other than Netflix suggested a programme on him for me just after concert, obviously knows my likes! He pretty much came from nothing too and was far from an overnight success, I admire that too and obviously so did U2. U2 got a mention in the documentary as before Garth tour over there they had played to the biggest audience in total, over 2m if I remember correctly, Garth then played to over 6m on tour.

He's a particular type of American, I watch another programme that I like 'Barnwood Builders', zero to do with music obviously but same sort of guys, hillbillies and proud of it, big into their God/Religion and very emotional with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭glitterIsland

An English radio presenter, I think it was Paula Yates, she mocked him and his music live on air. That could have been about 93/94. He had a fan base in England and but that presenter mocked him and his music on air and he felt he wasn't welcome in England.

Paula Yates :D

The last person to be criticising anyone

• Advertisement

Imagine having such a thin skin that the presenter of an alternative music show slagging you made you boycott a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah the money wasn't the driver for these, tickets at €65/€80 for gigs, that's half the price Bruce is charging for his RDS shows. Garth could have doubled his money if that's what was driving him.

Well the motivation can't be just that he wants to play in Ireland, he had the opportunity to do so several years ago and chose not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Because he didn’t want to let anyone down. It’s called having principles. 2022 and Irish begrudgery is still going strong. Horrible trait to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boosabum

Was on the big breakfast which had a massive following. She used to do interviews on a bed and she started with yeehaw and how country music was about your dog running away, all sad songs. Can see him getting annoyed with her. Jack Dee also rubbished him as part of his comedic stuff. He would have been very popular back then so. I guess there was no motivation to double down on the UK when he was shifting albums and tickets in the USA

I'm very familiar with her work, she also presented the tube and was an alternative DJ, her entire schtick was based on everything country goes against, but it was clearly an act, it'd be like Trump bombing Kazakhstan because of borat.

"Listen lads, I'm going to cancel all my concerts and go home because I don't want to let anyone down!".

Principles my arse, there's no principle in having a petulant strop because a city council in another country won't bow to your demands as to when and how many gigs you want, even asking Enda Kenny at the time for a chat to try resolve it. It was an epic tantrum.

Sorry but, that is absolute rubbish!

To name but a few, AC/DC, U2, Michael Jackson, Nickelback, Metallica, Guns n Roses, Maroon 5, Status Quo, George Michael, Kanye West, John Mayor have all gotten ripped to shreds in the media and by people in general. Jackson and Kanye especially due to some of the criticism and media attention being of the racist kind. ("Jappos welcome Jacko" being one I recall in The Sun. Referring to Japanese people as Jappos and Jackson as a monkey ffs)

Not one of them stopped touring a country because they didn't feel welcome or cancel shows because they had a tantrum.

It has nothing to do with begrudging anyone anything. He's a highly successful artist and good on him! I wish him nothing but the best. However, it is all about calling out his tantrums and thin skin because some no mark DJs and gutter press poked fun at him or because he threw a strop over not getting a bigger windfall than he wanted.

Begrudgery is when you and others start mouthing off about Bono and his band's tax affairs on their music royalties and his house in Killiney.

Comedian in making fun of others as part of their act shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I don't know if country music is big in the UK in general. I mean, not to the same extent as here. Big Band/Show Bands were popular here right up until the early 80s. Irish country is still quite popular... for some reason (But God do I hate Irish country).

So I suppose it was just a case of is it worth the effort trying to break the UK? And as for the previous concerts, the previous, cancelled concert tickets were cheaper than this tour. The seats I and my family had (My photos above) were 81 (Plus Ticketb*stard "fees"). Quite reasonable for such a large act by today's standards. I have no dog in this fight. Yes, he made a metric tonne of money from Ireland. He is not doing these shows for charity. But, yes he could have made 50% more easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

Yes the Point could get dangerous up the front,I dont think it had anything to do with people coming down from upstairs,they really cracked down on that after the girl died at the Pumpkins.

I remember as a physically strong and fit young lad being afraid for myself and others when my feet couldn't touch the ground and the crowd was moving like an ocean.Im thinking particularly Blur Nov 95 and Oasis March 96.

Great craic on one hand but you know its serious when even a young buck with no sense can see its properly dangerous. Hillsborough was only 6/7 years before that so it wasn't something as far removed as it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

They put a small railing up but if you had mates in standing one of them could just grab another mates standing ticket, meet you at the bar with it and you could walk into standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Oasis 96 was my first trip there so know exactly what you mean, went back again I think probably early 2000s 05/06 ish, it was still the point anyway for another oasis gig and that was the one I came away with bruised ribs from 😂 though I was almost close enough to touch Noel who I had a fair amount of hero worship for at the time so was well worth it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Forgot to add, was there Saturday. He was **** amazing. As good as he was in 97. He had the crowd in strings, the energy in his performance surprised me, I remember 97 he didn't stop and didn't expect that this time. I was so wrong.

What a man, what a show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭ooter

was at oasis in the point in 96, was fairly ropey alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Me and others?? I’m a huge U2 fan and fan of all band members.

If he threw a tantrum he wouldn’t have come back.

Like I said, a horrible trait.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

For those of us who don't personally know Garth Brooks, which probably amounts to 99.9% of the readers of this board, no-one can say for sure if he is completely driven by money all the time or if he has this genuine love for Ireland like he says he has.

He has a net worth of nearly £300m, and is fiercely protective of his IP, so you could say yes - he's obviously financially driven. But then he also was arguably the biggest solo artist on the planet in the early 00's and at the top of his game when he announced that he was going to retire to spend more time with his family, at least until his youngest daughter graduated, which to me doesn't scream the actions of a megastar whose main focus is $$$ - there haven't been too many others at his level doing the same.

Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭glitterIsland

I have the Ireland dvd on from The Entertainer box set on and drinking homemade pina colodas and drinking my weekend concert blues away. I can't even wait for Friday for this craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I did say arguably. By around the mid 00s, he overtook Elvis Presley as the best selling solo artist of all time in the USA, and not far behind him and Michael Jackson worldwide. If that's not a good barometer of his popularity then, I don't know.

Advertisement