Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outside blocks

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Whenever they start covering their a*se, the Simpson's clip about 'DRINK DUFF...responsibly' comes to mind.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/4bacf2e5-72c2-4b63-ba99-9a9baa7f184a

Pack the milking platform...

responsibly.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭older by the day

Don't mind the zero grazer, tell us more about the au pair

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,649 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Gg, I got a grass tech 140 here 4 yrs ago. Tbh I've never regretted it. I only zg on the shoulders of the year and the ground goes for 2 or 3 cuts.

On the time it takes, it's not bad. Most of the ground is 7kms away, there's a tractor on the grazer permanently when I'm using it, 1 hour would have a load back in yard.

Its great in the spring if conditions are broken, cows never have to be out in poor conditions to get grass into them. Does away with alot of the hardship of poaching and spur roads. Much much easier on cows.

The meal is bought here (particularly in spring) based on energy and acidosis prevention. This spring was so bad I gor beet pulp into the 2nd bin and that was fed with the nuts in the parlour. Worked very well with the zg.

The other thing about owning one is, you'd be surprised, even on a wet day, 1 dry hr makes a massive difference to the dm in the load, so you can pick your times.

Someone mentioned compaction, not an issue at all, right tyres on ground that doesn't be grazed. It does no damage (here anyway) whatsoever. A Slurry tank is 10 times worse.

It will lift your solids, there's no milk produced here off silage, makes a big difference. Its not time consuming if you can leave a tractor.on it when you're using it, and it saves time and messing in spring. Big time.

I guy near me is zging all summer, small meal bill, savage solids and production. Cows will put away some amount while they're waiting to be milked. Oh and last thing, you will grow more grass with lower fert if you can keep the watery Slurry in behind it, and plenty of K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

She’s from bergamo in Italy and her grandfather is a tillage and dairy farmer.

her parents came to visit during the summer and her father told me my cows would be killed in Italy because they don’t do 40l 😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

last couple i know of that had an au pair to help with rearing the kids are now divorced......! so thread carefully GtM...!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Same story around here the father of kids was carrying on with the au pair

Haha no she’s safe enough. Don’t worry 😂

my life is gone a lot easier. I don’t want to go making a mess of it

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Danny healy ray

in fairness an easy thing to happen it's a dicey one at times a young one around the house all day !

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

Got to love F&F at times.

Where you start a thread on the pros and cons of buying a zerograzer and it morphs into a discussion on riding your Au pair

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭cjpm

Tread carefully GtM

Remember… if Imelda had gotten Pat neutered - Mr Moonlight would still be spinning the decks instead of pushing up daisies

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

@GrasstoMilk

I just came across this thread. Trying to get to 90-100% efficiency takes more effort than getting from 50-80%. Now technically you may not think you are pushing the boat out and everything looks great.

It's not the time on the zero grazer that will catch you it's the slurry, agitating, pushing in grass the second time cleaning the feed face etc.

This work is not spread out over the year. It will be in 3-4 weeks bursts. When you have to Zero every day for adding 1-2 hours onto the day and then agitating spreading slurry on it.

If @mahoney_j is correct and it causes feet issues as well then it will add more complications. You are looking at adding 2.5% to your protein figures to really justify it. The extra cows will probably not justify it.

Labor is the killer on dairy farms. Ya you have a couple of young lads at present but they will need constant replacing. It's easy when you have good help.

The other factor is your children. I see a few lads with no successors, the main reason is children grow up to hate it because they see there father trapped by it or they themselves get to hate it because of the workload

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,090 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Agree on that ….outside of labour etc big downsides feom lads I know is feet problems ….eating lush grass at a barrier leds to soft feet ….mortelaro will spread faster and foot bathing will need to be done weekly ….also z grazing especially at shoulders leads to soil compaction both from actual z grazing traffic but also slurry tankers and fert spreaders etc …makes ground v hungry and reseeding will be needed more often

Tbf MJ those issues are largely associated with Holsteins aswell as that type of cow not being able to deal with lush grass and getting acidosis

we don’t suffer from acidosis in our cows and they’d be getting fair lush grass, don’t suffer from low bf due to lush grass either

I do agree feet issues from being at the barrier might be an issue but I don’t agree our cow will be worse off from eating lush grass.

I accept your opinion on it but we are on a different cow type and I don’t intend to go away from what we’re breeding

Cow type don’t come into it …..ask anyone regardless of cow type what the main issues they have …..I’ll bet most will say feet and mortelaro

I’ve been talking to 6 different ppl about it over the last month. None of them were recommended by any of the zero grazing companies

they all felt the benefits out weighed the negatives of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Jack98

From reading your comments, you can obviously sustain the number of cows you have on the milking platform throughout the majority of the growing season for grass. If you’re only using the grazer for the shoulders to buffer and in times of drought etc then it will be a good addition the workload will only be increased if you are buffering with the grazer everyday like some farming hero’s.

If you’re just buffering foot problems will be minimal ask any pairer out there they spend a lot more time in yards of hols then they do in yards of crosses.

Montelaro won’t just show up from standing on slats either but it will from poor management practices, had issues with it here a few years back but better practices eliminated it from the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭straight

I don't know lads. I was thinking of building more cubicles, shed and storage here but I have enough cubicles for 170KgsN at the moment. It's hard to know what way things will pan out but I might let things settle here around the 170kgs for a while and work on removing the bottom 5 or 10%. Kinda suits anyway with the price of building and all.

• Advertisement

You’re operating outside of derogation already anyway aren’t you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭straight

Ya. But have 92 cubicles. Kinda stuck for a shed for in calf heifers but not sure about building if it is going to be moth balled in 2026 with the loss of derogation.

Leased ground we have on milking platform 6ha going on the market next spring part of a 19ha block in total at a crossroads wether to go for the whole lot or not with not knowing what the near future holds for farming and a neigbor has the remainder we weren’t leasing for as long as we’ve been leasing also so don’t know what direction to go and don’t want to make enemies.

More I think of this …..more the thought of more hassle ,work and complication for what is marginal milk ….de stress yourself and uncomplicate your system and milk a few less cows ….your already feeding strong and buffering strong through stages of year on top of having a heavily stocked milk block ….only my thoughts but a z grazer will do nothing for you only give headaches and your return v neglible

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Logic would say if you are thinking of buying, if it's all in one lot, go to the other renter and see if ye can go together for it. Or else contact the seller and see if they will divide your bit off in a separate lot.

But all depends if ye want to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It's not in the sellers interest to split off part and lose a potential bidders.

Now depending on the otherenter that may be an option but some people have been known to have someone else buy land for them while they claim no interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Standback and do the sums on it. Chat to accountant and see if ye can afford it at whatever stocking rates. When doing plan up do it for the 19ha, as it may allow ye to maintain numbers should regs change. Don't know what land is making around ye but unfortunately land alongside the block tends not to come up too often.

Re not making enemies obv nobody wants to fall out with anybody but if ye feel ye need to go for the whole lot do so. If ye get it so be it but if not so be it, don't have to fall out over it. Whoever is successful is successful. Don't hold grudges and interact respectfully. Ye know the situation best so think it over with all scenarios and make the decision.

Also start the conversation with the banks as well. Afaik BOI have better rates at the minute but are more conservative than AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Tanks have accelerated capital allowances so could put in the storage in a place that suits the yard if you were to go ahead with more cubicles. That can then be done at a later date If needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If their not in a company already how in God's name could 120-140 cows pay back the intrest/capital/principal repayments which are out of your after tax income, your taking 70k plus a year over a 20 year term, that's putting a very modest 12-14k purchase price a acre and having 100k sitting in the current account as a deposit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Grueller

As far as I remember you said you have land about 30 km away. Would you shift a portion of that to buy beside you? I have land 9 miles away and I'd jump at the chance.

Advertisement