Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon LNG terminal plans rejected by ABP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,002 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Amazon granted permission to DOUBLE their data centre's here, when all the current data centres been built are up and going, they will take 30% of the grid. Don't panic though your house will lose power before the data centres do.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Indeed, just as you wanted to see! Have you no idea of what our competitor economies are doing? You a true disciple of the Ryan School of Economics, No wind + No back-up plan= magical supplyof power Shur it'll be grand!

• Advertisement

What part of 'we will build' do you not understand? These facilities take a decade or so to get off the ground. One of the two facilities mentioned in Kerry has been on the drawingboard for years because it is located at the proposed LNG plant (now refused)

Leaving aside the shortage and escalated cost of mining Lithium, what environmental harm is going to be done in mining the required to build these batteries? Are you aware that the insurance indusrty already has serious concerns about the volatility/ fire hazard of Lithium batteries and cover is becoming increasingly costly?

What are the Green's proposals for handling the waste associated with disposing the spent windmill blades (many of which are soon due for replacement)?

Let's stop the 'will build' waffle and comeout with some practicalities. Ireland is being left far behind in powere security.

Lithium batteries will only serve short term back up/ grid balancing

Medium and longer term storage will take other forms e.g. redox flow, compressed air, hydrogen etc etc

As for timelines, we're aiming for 80% renewables by 2030 and 100% by 2050.

Ah yes, here we go again, the great 'Aiming for....!" That's the BS line fed to and swallowed by idiots. Aiming for a Childrens Hospital, Aiming for a sensible National Maternity Hospital, Aiming for a Metro North, etc., blah, blah.

The really sad thing is that I am a 'green' at heart, I have spent a lifetime in risk management and I see climate change on a daily basis . The issue is the complete failure of Ryan and his coterie of advisors to open their eyes to the realities of business life and an economy that is on the edge. The Irish Greens have achieved nothing other than to push people away from a sensible approach and to polarise them. Cycle lanes don't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What countries currently use redox flow, compressed air, hydrogen etc as their only forms of backup?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

FYI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

What is this risk you have identified and how does an LNG terminal mitigate it? Can you demonstrate that it is the least expensive mitigation?

The downside / risk of outages is clear and has been enumerated earlier. It also - I expect - will be detailed when Ryan allows the Review be published. Of course LNG at Tarbert is less expensive. For starters, Tarbert was being built by private equity, not the taxpayer. Also, it was to be a lot more than just a LNG site. Look up New Fortress Energy, the people Ryan has continuously refused to meet, and see what they have achieved in other partnerships around the world. Can you imagine a Minister in any government anywhere refusing to meet an investor? Even if only to say “No, we don’t want you”? It’s basic courtesy and economic sense. Then, for e.g., look at NFE’s recent developments and what is happening elsewhere  https://www.portofrotterdam.com/en/logistics/cargo/lng/lng-partnerships

No, Eamon and his ideologues would rather ignore what other European countries are achieving. His ego and views are bordering on the fanatical. What really pi$$es me off is that he is saying the incoming LNG will be fracked, which is not fully true, and when some of the current interconnector gas also is fracked. Similarly, the Irish Greens refuse to even look at SMR’s, which most countries now regard as a gamechanger for 2030> and will play a very meaningful role. Our Greens have pandered totally to the wind energy brigade (totally unsightly) and ignored tidal power, a source that would ‘fit’ with the beauty of this country and work efficiently, albeit at a slightly higher cost. (Don't even start on solar! - looked out the window recently?)

Ireland needs a standby fuel source for now, not some dreamy plan for 2030 or 2050.  It also needs a government with a backbone and a population that gets off the couch and looks critically at what the Green Party is waffling on about. I'm not holding my breath.

And here is another link to what Rotterdam is doing with Hydrogen and NFE, the company he never met. https://www.offshore-energy.biz/oci-inks-green-h2-supply-deal-with-nfe-to-boost-its-green-nh3-production/

The risk of an outage on three pipelines for more than three days is vanishingly small to the point of being imaginary. It isn’t ‘clear’ at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

LOL.

there is not one single commercially viable, or successfully running SMR for civilian use in existance.

commercially viable SMRS for civilian use have been promised for decades and still, not one single one operating successfully, viably or cost effectively.

the only such ones that exist are for military use, and they are of the highest expensivity.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

What are you on about? No military power is using a SMR, none have been promised for delivery, so your comment is laughable. I wrote " the Irish Greens refuse to even look at SMR’s, which most countries now regard as a gamechanger for 2030> and will play a very meaningful role".

There are no commercial SMRs in operation anywhere - there are a few in test at various universities,mainly in the US and Canada and some in China. It is generally accepted that SMRs will become commercially available after c2030 and yes they will be expensive but considerably cheaper than existing N Plants.

Small reactors have been in use for decades on the likes of US and Russian subs, aircraft carriers, ice-breakers etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,001 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there are these things called nuclear submarines, they use small reactors to power them and have been doing so for decades, hence my mention of military use.

however, there is no comparison to high expensivity reactors for military application that power a ship, and commercially viable small reactors which will need to power a lot more and be a fraction of the cost.

there is no commercially viable, civilian use SMR available that is cheap and effective, there won't be either.

if any do come available in the 2030s (they have been promising them for decades) they will be of very high expensivity and that is why the greens are rightly staying away from them, as are the other parties.

we have more important things to spend money on and there are ultra-cheap options available that are more effective then high expensivity nuclear ever will be in any form.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

This is certainly not generally accepted. It certainly is hoped for. The benefits would be immense.

But SMRs fly in the face of everything we know about the economics of fission reactors to date (i.e., bigger reactors are economically viable and smaller reactors are not).

Go back to what I said – the Greens have refused to consider an important development in power generation- SMRs – that is the point and not their effectiveness. Secondly, I said it is generally accepted that SMRs will not be available before 2030 (I wrote 2030>). These are a big topic internationally and a tiny percentage of the electorate is stopping discussion.

@endof Comparing the reactor unit of a nuclear-powered ship with a SMR shows a complete lack of understanding of SMRs/topic/nuclear power. The processes and operation of a traditional plant to a SMR are like comparing a Model T to a Tesla.

@antoineol Yes, that is correct. Big no longer is better, and SMR developments to date are proving that.

• Advertisement

Power generation from nuclear power can't be done in Ireland due to legislation, it's explicitly not permitted.

On that basis, asking why they haven't considered it is like asking why the Dept of Health haven't considered crack cocaine for pain relief

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

SMR developments haven’t proved anything yet, except that developing an economic SMR is very difficult.

No one knows what year an economic SMR will be available to order.

at this stage the whole thing is a very slow-moving hype cycle.

Do you think Ireland should invest hundreds of millions of euros in research and development for this technology?

As I have said earlier, SMR's are comomg down the track globally and it is expected that early models will be available from c2030. That is what the nuclear industry is suggesting. It is not hype, indications are positive, and yes, it has been slow-moving, but that is normal with anything to do witj nuclear.

I never suggested that Ireland should invest hundreds of millions in SMR R&D, that is being done elsewhere but I would expect that the government of any developed country would honestly investigate and review options and not behave in a Luddite fashion.

I again revert to the main thrust of my comments - Ireland is ignoring the risks of relying on current sources of power, the Greens which garner a minute percentage of the vote have prevented discussion and have an opposition based on fanaticism, not science or economics. There was further negative comment in today's Sunday Times by academics on ABP's refusal.

What does ‘coming down the track globally’ even mean? Sure, some people are ‘suggesting’ 2030 but no one knows whether there will be anything economically attractive available then. By no means does the entire nuclear industry think that SMRs are the inevitable direction for the industry.

If it is so certain as you describe then why wouldn’t the government put in money?

What is the point in a government minister meeting these groups if he absolutely isn’t going to put in cash to join a consortium? Do you think these people are travelling the world to meet government ministers to get moral support?

Anyway you still haven’t explained what risk from outages that the LNG terminal would mitigate.

Here is a link to an Irish perspective on SMRs. https://www.engineersireland.ie/Engineers-Journal/News/nuclear-smrs-and-their-future-will-startups-disrupt-the-established-players

The nuclear industry globally does believe in a strong role for SMRs and it also is generally believed that Sizewell C and a couple of French projects are the last of the old-style plants (excluding Russia). Where is your information to the contrary?

My opposition from the outset has been to the fanatical and trapped mindset of Eamon Ryan and the Greens. Ministers meet and greet people all the time. It’s their job as elected representatives to examine risks, mitigate them ans make informed decisions. Meeting someone does not necessarily mean that cash will be doled out.  It is common knowledge in the energy sector that Ryan has refused to meet NFE – please correct me if I’m wrong.

Do you really believe that the UK would continue to pump gas into Ireland at the cost of leaving some of its own people in the dark? Do you recall Brexit and the NIP?  If something happened to an undersea pipeline how would Ireland fare?

Ireland is not being asked for cash, it is being offered a removable LNG storage facility along with other alternative energy facilities ranging from a shore base for offshore, storage, etc. 

Ireland should not be dependent on a couple of high-risk sources for its power. It’s called risk management, something that this government has little understanding of, as demonstrated by its oversight of state boards, building projects, IT security, etc.

This is fanatical anti-Englishism, since we are now calling people fanatics. Would the British be foolish enough to stop us shipping gas to Ireland through one of their LNG terminals? Would they cut off Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man too? If there really were a global gas shortage so acute that results in Britain running out of gas and grabbing our gas, what good would an LNG terminal do us? Why would the LNG shipper or gas producer prioritize Ireland?

if ‘something’ happened to an undersea pipeline we could thank our lucky stars that there are two other pipelines to fall back on. We also have oil reserves to rely on, and in the future we will have gas storage in one form or other. We also have renewables, so we just need less gas and oil than would otherwise be required.

Is that writer you link to really linked to Ireland? Are they even linked to the nuclear or energy industry?

The nuclear industry believes nothing of the sort. It may hope, but it doesn’t believe. SMRs fly in the face of everything we know about nuclear economics and safety. That is not to say it won’t work but it is good enough reason to have major doubts. For example: https://www.energymonitor.ai/power/small-modular-reactors-smrs-what-is-taking-so-long/?cf-view

if ireland expressed serious interest in an SMR they most certainly would be asked for cash. The whole SMR industry is, for now, based on government subsidies.

You are jumping to all sorts of false conclusions in that post. Yes, governments are behind much of the funding of SMR development, because they see the need for alternatives and energy security; they also can see a long term benefit. However, there are several listed firms both specifically set-up for or active in the sector. (EDF, Westinghpuse, Rolls Royce, BWXT, etc.). To suggest that Ireland would be asked to contribute should it express an interest in the field is silly. When they arrive Ireland can - if it wants to - investigate their use, provided of course the Greens don't block legislation on lifting the ban on nuclear.

So you are confident that we could expect to get priority access to the first successful SMR technology in 2030 or thereabouts even though we aren’t put any money into the development? Because we’re Irish and everybody likes us?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,022 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yeah my adultering paid-off Congressman was also going off about SMRs lately. huh.

It remains yet to be proven if SMRs won't blow up as simply another Nukegate Scandal. Nukegate was a serious overrun of cost and incompetence, TLDR, and a lot of hyped promises, and a major cost passed on to the ratepayers.

In addition I'm not sure if it's a great move, is Nuclear even mature enough to mass produce at that scale. I shudder at the thought, I am familiar with inside commentary on the Boeing Dreamliner project, they couldn't get one plane to match the next in terms of workmanship and quality, it was a nightmare. And then they started catching battery-fire mid-flight when they ultimately started delivering to fleets. That on a nuclear scale workmanship defects would be horrendous. The day zero bugs and exploits of an incredibly complex mechatronic system. Nuclear assembly is only more convoluted, bureaucratic, and multi-partner than an aircraft.

Couple that we are in a unique global crisis where we're definitely going to or have exceeded that 1.5 C target. No matter how safe the nuclear reaction, the net result of the nuclear release is more heat. It only has to go places. Thermodynamically, you will always have incredibly high thermal losses. Thermal and fusion power solutions don't really help us there. eg. in France they had to lower reactor operating state to accommodate for warmer rivers this summer which supply its cooling water. Regardless of how you cool it, thermal waste enters the environment. See rejected energy versus work energy:

1 Quad = 1 Quadrillion BTUs or 1.055 exajoules.

Whereas, Solar in particular absorbs light and heat that is already pre-made. PV panels absorb light, Water loops (for home water heating etc) absorb heat, and those systems tend to result in a cooler home because less light and heat is heating and translating into the structure. A study last year found that 10 PV panels on 1 million Irish homes could produce 25% of all residential electricity demand (I don't think that study considered rejected heat, just power production potential)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

OK plot twist

If we can't have a LNG terminal in Shannon we're going to buy a boat - a really big boat - instead

And the best part is...

We're all gonna chip in for it :)

Advertisement