Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A wonderful illustration showing how much public space we’ve handed over to cars

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You are only allowed to pull in in the event of a breakdown or something like a medical emergency.

You are supposed to immediately evacuate the car and go behind the barrier or onto the verge.

You will see these requirements being breached every day on our motorways.

If there is an accident the rule is to leave the hard shoulder vacant for emergency services.

Traffic which can't safely drive past the incident should queue in the driving lanes and wait for AGS to sort it out.

Again these sensible rules are commonly broken.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,736 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You are only allowed to pull in in the event of a breakdown or something like a medical emergency.

You are supposed to immediately evacuate the car and go behind the barrier or onto the verge.

true, but that doesn't actually negate my point. my understanding was the hard shoulder's primary function was to provide somewhere for someone with a mechanical or other problem to pull in without blocking a motorway.

we've gone a bit OT to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fair enough but the importance of the hard shoulder for use by emergency vehicles should not be ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,765 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

".....The origin of the term comes from the very first motorways which had a gravel soft shoulder. These were found to be inadequate when heavy goods vehicles stopped on them and were later strengthened, thus becoming hard shoulders, though their construction was still weaker than that of the adjacent carriageway. The name has stuck ever since, although other countries simply use the term shoulder or breakdown lane.

During the 1980s, when first generation motorways were undergoing major maintenance, hard shoulders were strengthened to a similar construction to the adjoining carriageway to enable them to be used as temporary running lanes in roadworks situations. On new roads, the hard shoulder construction was a continuation of the main carriageway construction from this time..."

It's law in Germany to create a lane for emergency lane.

Germans are good at following rules. Irish, not so much.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That's just a stereotype. We have shown that we can follow the road traffic laws quite well when we think we'll be punished for not doing so. However, as everyone knows, there is pretty much no enforcement of the road traffic laws here which is why they are being ignored. Germany has strong road traffic enforcement.

Well I agree it's lack of enforcement.

But I think there's also a cultural element. Trying to get Irish people, or people embedded in Irish culture, to follow rules is much harder. It's not just on the roads is through everything.

Unless we have enforcement, you can't tackle the culture.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

As an ambulance driver I've always been concerned with emergency service vehicles getting delayed but until cycle lanes were built in this manner I've never considered them to be a problem...

Car centric demands put huge demand on the health service, that's a new one, care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

Ambulance driver!? We haven’t had those in Ireland in a very long time.

Car centric planning creates areas where public transport or active transport are inefficient or unattractive, forcing everyone to drive. This comes with three costs to the health service - the lack of exercise that comes from driving everywhere means the country as a whole is less healthy, the high cost of dealing with the injuries caused by and to road users and the higher levels of lung disease caused by engine emissions and PM2.5 emissions from tyres and brakes.

Built in what manner?

In your example it is possible to drive into the cycle lane. You're scaremongering about flexible bollards and dividers no taller than a driveway kerbing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,736 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Hang on, you're an ambulance driver? And you didn't know those bollards can be driven over?

It's a load of bollards...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When was the last time the country invested in any major public transport infrastructure ?

The Luas which is almost 20 years old, it only has seen the most very minor amendments and additions to it routes.

Commuter / Irish rail hasn’t had much in the way of improvements or investment.

There will always be a prevalence of motorised private transport until that changes….

people have places to go, journeys to make and if you don’t provide a cost effective, suitable, convenient wide reaching service, people will choose private transport….

of the European capitals I’ve been to.

Madrid, Copenhagen, London, Amsterdam, Rome, Lisbon, Berlin, Paris, Brussels, Vienna, Athens & Stockholm…..plus around 15 other major European cities…. Barcelona, Milan, Naples, Manchester, Glasgow, Malmo…. Etc… all have a metro and other integrated service…

The vast majority if not all, if I lived in most or maybe all of these places I just wouldn’t bother with a car. I would not need, want one…

i will never by choice be without a car in this city as long as I’m living here…I did have to give up driving for a time because of health reasons… after my second time using buses… forget it.. taxi…. Packed to the gills at off peak times, slow as fûck… about 50 minutes to travel a handful of kilometres that I could be there if driving in about 15-20…. Time to prioritise the needs and priorities of Irish taxpayers.

What makes you say those bollards can be driven over?

How many times do I have to say this, those bollards are not flexible!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,652 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Probably, the fact that the bollards can be driven over.

You're involved in health services in some way, but you're apparently NOT aware of the connection between car bound lifestyle and CHD, diabetes, cancer, hypertension, stroke, COPD and many, many more? Seriously?

• Advertisement

For a charity yes... Jesus Christ do you want my full bio or do you want to focus on the actual problem here?

it *might* have been useful to mention you were an ambulance driver when you started talking about emergency services access.

Probably, the fact that the bollards can be driven over.

But as we have already established, they can't be, unless you have proof to your claim?

You're involved in health services in some way, but you're apparently NOT aware of the connection between car bound lifestyle and CHD, diabetes, cancer, hypertension, stroke, COPD and many, many more? Seriously?

I'm fully aware of the connection but the "huge demand" is your claim which i suspect you won't be able to prove. Probably more strain put on the health service due to cyclists crashing or people waiting on busses their whole lives between the stress of running late and waiting on the side of the road breathing in fumes

I disagree. Common sense should have been the main factor in seeing the issue

But as we have already established, they can't be, unless you have proof to your claim?

how was this established? i must have missed that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That is a claim and a half.

So all the published health benefits of cycling are lies?

From my 30 seconds of research on the matter albeit that they are old figures cycling has no significant impact on the health service

https://imj.ie/2715-2/

yeah, that's a hell of a claim! studies i've seen noted range from a low of the benefits of cycling outweighing the drawbacks by a factor of eleven, to a high of a factor of 70.

It's the internet. He could claim to be a Zebra on the moon.

He (or she or they) said didn't see what caused the blockage. They just plucked the cycle lane out of thin air. Made all sorts of claims none of which proved to be true or accurate.

This is junction/road has been a problem going back at least a decade based on previous comments on boards and in the media. Nothing to do with cycle lanes.

The issue is too many cars. How many times have we been all been stuck behind a dumb driver who blocks other drivers for no reason. Selfish and ignorant.

• Advertisement

I never claimed cycling wasn't beneficial for health or that there was a significant health impact on the heath service from cycling though.

Perhaps you are reading what I said wrong or maybe you are deliberately putting words in my mouth to further your own agenda.

Excellent points. Our Public transport system needs to be more robust as well. No busses until at least 11am this morning for example in Limerick where there is a light breeze at worst. Even the cyclists are out making use of the cycle lanes and that's a rare enough sight in sunny weather here

i will never by choice be without a car in this city as long as I’m living here

For reference, which city?

Advertisement