Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭kerplun k

• Registered Users Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There's still scope to tell self-contained stories of various genres and tones within a bigger connected universe. The comics themselves demonstrate this. But they're drunk on cross-selling viewers between all the various movies and shows (also similar to the line-wide events increasingly happening in comic books), using the films as marketing vehicles themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,458 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Blade will be R-rated

Demange can use those lessons, and focus on directing the two-time Oscar winner Ali in a ferocious new Blade, a tall order because of the indelible link to Wesley Snipes in those early New Line R-rated films.

“They gave me the R, which is so important,”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭McFly85

Regarding the multiverse, instead of continually looking at it from the current marvel universe and characters we know from 616(or 199999 or whatever it is), just make films in different universes that are their own story that might have minor references, if any, to the concept of the multiverse.

The audience has had the concept explained enough at this stage so just saying in the promotional material that a certain film isn’t set in the core MCU should be enough.

The current Earth feels overstuffed with heroes as it is, adding mutants and vampires to that makes it less grounded in a real place than it should be.

Blade, X-Men, The Fantastic Four should be their own stories in the own universes that don’t have the baggage of 15 years of continuity, with the characters introduced to our characters for the big Avengers type team up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not usually one to ascribe meaning to film ratings, but that's something at least; don't think there'd be much leeway given to a new Blade film that couldn't or wouldn't at least indulge in what I presume will be hardcore violence and/or language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah. One of the good things about the first Ant-Man (Apart from Michael Pena) was the fact that it was pretty much its own thing: A comedy heist movie. Minimal interaction with the overarching MCU. Yes, Howard Stark was at the start and Falcon was there but in general, it was its own thing. And it meant you could just WATCH it!

I mean, really, WHY was that girl with her Iron-man suit in Black Panther 2 apart from introducing her for her own series/movie/whatever? WHY didn't they leave Not-John Snow as just Not-John Snow instead of that post credit sequence.... You know the one that WASN'T yer man from One Direction (Jesus). Now we have to watch Captain Marvel, Wandavision and Miss Marvel before watching Marvels? That's 20 hours of programming.

Do we REALLY want Blade to fight Jared Leto or to trade quips with Star Lord? Or have some Family Guy-esque tangential reference like "Wow, I haven't seen THIS many dead bodies since Iron-Man 5: The Quest for Peace"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The Marvels actually has positive reviews by sounds of it. So I'll be going I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't wish the MCU ill but I have been wondering how they'll react to their first, bonafide bomb; I suppose Eternals was a disappointment but it was also a bit of a wild swing of sorts. This is a sequel to one of their main Big Hitters and a character who seems relatively central to the whole universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

'Atrocious' and 'worst MCU film yet' from Donald Clarke. Oof. Will see where the other reviews land, but as ever a reminder to ignore the inevitably gushing 'social media reactions' from the premiere.

• Advertisement

Worst MCU film yet is itself kind of unhelpful given we've had some pretty good contenders for that label, I'm finding it immediately hard to imagine it's somehow even worse than Love & Thunder or Ant-Man 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

the original release date for this movie was a year (ish) before secret invasion... not a big mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Jeremy had a bit of the what was he watching about him. Not a movie that will have "legs" i reckon ,

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The after credit scene was up on Youtube so I'm good until this shows up on Disney+ an maybe not even then depending on the general response.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,947 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm hoping it's just a load of neck beards being nasty. Iman Vellani doesn't deserve a shrug and a "That's showbiz" as she gets kicked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,173 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I liked Captain Marvel. The Skrulls were handled surprisingly well, and I enjoyed for once the subversive nature of the final fight....but they haven't compelled me to watch the sequel in the cinema.

They've just lost all control of a tight narrative and that's the biggest issue for me. As others have said, Multiverse was awesome on paper, but it's been done so half heartedly. You have to make these things mean something beyond fan service.

They've had multiple ideas that you could say that about in Phase 4/5. The Skrulls in Secret Invasion is another example, a good idea that could of been fascinating but ended up being a story they couldn't effectively develop.

I'd like to think Deadpool 3 will be the start of the course correction but I have no confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,369 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think it'd be hard to fcuk up Deadpool given Ryan Reynolds is untouchable and likely wont let an Origins level butchering of the character happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,912 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For Deadpool, depending on how much Wolverine is in it, I can see it just being them enjoying themselves with the plot a secondary thing. So could be a fun watch or could be all over the place. But I think they're both professional enough to want to make it as good as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,458 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Deadpool will be the only MCU film in 2024.

Captian America, Thunderbolts and Blade are now pushed to 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,566 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not surprised by what I've seen review wise. Looks like a pretty bad movie by all accounts. I'm going to not go and see it.

If I'm depressed and hating myself enough I might give it a watch on Disney +.

P.S I see they were giving out free alcoholic beverages at the press screenings...

Edit: meant to put in The Marvels thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Marvels Spoiler:

If you'd just waited 3 more days they would have answered your issue regarding Bishop, Young Avengers etc

If you read the thread, very few people want standalone movies.

There are endless posters frustrated that the bigger plot isn't moving on or loose ends arent tied up. People always complain when there isn't a tie in.

What makes the MCU different and what studio after studio has fell on its face trying to build is the interconnectedness.

The COVID element and now the writers strike are absolutely huge issues, that are generally downplayed. Add the unfortunate death of one of the actors who was going to lead the MCU and you can see the mess they're in compared to the relatively smooth early phases.

Due to COVID everything has been pushed back so many times (e.g., the Marvels was supposed to originally come out the summer of 2022) and it even changed order of the movies causing huge rewrites and reshoots. I agree with many on Wanda wasn't smoothly transitioning to MoM, but that is understandable when you look at the context that MoM was originally supposed to come out before No Way Home and Loki, so a load of stuff that had to be changed when the order was flipped.

MCU was a well oiled machine from Phase 1 to 3 which was ran smoothly and was turned up to go faster and faster, with more movies coming out. When it got to Phase 4, and you add in Disney+, it was starting to go a bit too fast and then the wrench of COVID was thrown into it which blew the whole thing up. Rather than stopping the machine completely and fixing everything before slowly getting going again, they just tried to put some tape on it each time it broke and fight fires while maintaining the same fast pace.

It does look like they've listened and the most recent pushback of movies from 2024 into 2025, leaving just Wolverine between now and 2025, and pausing others. It seem like they're trying to finally reset everything and get that path to move forward.

2025 is going to be busy with Fantastic 4 also.

Would have guessed we'd have another Spider-Man in 2025 but guess that might be one too many and probably too tight to get that into the end of 2024 unless they've something far along behind the scenes.

Wonder how much they're going to change of CA and Thunderbolts. I doubt they were going to be impacted directly by Kang, but if they were to pull Majors then they'd probably need to set up something within these to drive Secret Invasion and whatever would happen to Kang Dynasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭McFly85

The great thing about the infinity saga was that the films were for the most part their own films, with hints at interconnecting - GotG, for example, had the power stone which would be important in later films but you didn’t need to know that to watch the film, it was really just a maguffin.

The post infinity saga has sort of been all over the place because a lot of the films have either spent a lot of time explaining things that you’ll need to know for later, like the multiverse, or introducing characters that will be in their own thing at some point. Theres too much emphasis on other people existing rather than a core plot that will need to bring these people together at some point. It’s almost too focused on the fact that it’s a shared universe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

https://deadline.com/2023/11/box-office-the-marvels-1235599363/

The Marvels is shaping up to be the lowest domestic opening ever for a Disney Marvel Cinematic Universe title, with a 3-day swing of $47M-$55M. That’s lower than Marvel/Universal’s The Incredible Hulk ($55.4M in 2008) and lower than Ant-Man ($57.2M, 2015).

Certain YouTube feeds will be beyond obnoxious to hear the crowing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think everyone is happy with an interconnecting universe, but when it's hard to keep up, especially with the TV series it's when you lose people, they tried a lot of this with Agents of SHIELD and it failed. It's a very difficult thing to keep the whole thing going but when you have to do homework to watch a movie, no thank you. I was thinking of going to see Marvels and even searched for "what to know before watching the Marvels" and then I thought, I can't be arsed doing that. No problem doing it for a sequel or maybe an s sequential story like Harry Potter, but for a castaway movie, nope, I might catch it when it comes to Disney+

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I think you overstate the energy , its been so well flagged for years now that it will be more ho hum, Its not like any youtubers cause a film to do better or worse in cinemas as most movie goes wont even know they exist. Maybe just maybe their analysis is more accurate and more predictive, its very unlikely they are correct for totally the wrong reasons

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

The people I speak of don't do "analysis" and we both know of whom I speak so let's leave it at that.

Advertisement