Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail Jobs Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Gammyeye

Thank you @[Deleted User] for the info. It's great to hear some of the lesser known things. How is the training itself? Much study required in the evenings or is it just classroom based?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Alpha1-1Cretty

I completely get that the general rule (used lightly of course) is that no news is good news in regards to waiting for interview and medical results.

Can the same be said about waiting for the online SCAAT, RAAT and SJT results from the OPC?

I completed mine on Friday the 27th of October and haven't heard back yet (which I'm fine with). I saw a person on IÉs Facebook page saying he received a fail email last Friday (the 3rd of November), given the fact that applications opened the previous Monday my guesstimate is that they completed theirs Tuesday or Wednesday ish. Since I completed mine the Friday I'm 2-3 days ahead of them so I assumed (which I shouldn't) that i'd know by Monday or Tuesday. Do you think people that got a hard fail find out very quickly and people that did a bit better get told how they fared a bit later on? I'd imagine their system pools all the semi good results together and takes an average of those results, then sifts people out from the bottom up. This is all speculation bare in mind and I'm sure that's quite apparent.

It is an unnecessary question I suppose but I'm curious since as opposed to feeling more anxious, im feeling less anxious as time progresses. I hope this doesn't come across as arrogant as I know I'm digging a little too deep here.

Secondly, how many people do you lads and ladies think make it to the in house assessment with IÉ, I'm thinking about the logistics of assessing people. I don't imagine they can assess thousands of people in a few short weeks. What does the attrition rate actually feel like. I imagine the same for the interviews. I apologize in advance if all this has been already been asked a billion times but there's too many pages at this point 😂. I'm just wondering if anyone is thinking the same as me right now and if so does my speculation seem plausible in any way, shape or form.

Applied for Driver Role in Dublin. I want to drive the ICR more than any other traction they have but I'll take anything. Based near Carlow but intend to move ASAP if I survive and Dublin is my closest.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Edit: Spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭duefrine

@Alpha1-1Cretty

I completed mine on Thursday 26th October ( online SCAAT, RAAT and SJT ) and still haven't heard anything back yet.. So in and around your time line.

It was hard to judge how I done as I was timed out on the first 2, but completed the 3ed within time..

Checking email every day, to make sure I don't miss an email from them..

*I clicked reply but it didn't tag you automatically like I expected it to @duefrine. Im new to boards so.

Tis nerve wracking to be fair. You're not alone. I timed out on the last RAAT question of the last page. I got the other 2 or 3 (can't remember how many I know there was 3 on the practice material) questions on that page. I'm afraid that the whole page can be omitted since I didn't do the last question on it.

The SJT was fine for me and I know id make all the same decisions again. (I prioritised safety and the company over personal life etc. and I trust my judgement and decision making.) Had some time left on that one but should've used that time to recheck everything.

On SCAAT I emphasized accuracy as advised by a driver I bumped into on Facebook but I did get a good few lines done. Got 5 ish omissions on the hardest page. None that I'm aware of on the first 2 pages. I don't think you can complete SCAAT. I imagine it generates infinite columns as needed or it already has a ridiculous amount for columns built in.

I've been checking 3 times ish a day. It's scary but I know I can give it another go next year atleast.

Hopefully we'll be in the classroom in no time if all goes well. *Blesses self* I'm 22 and part of me is not expecting to see many peers in here if I do manage to survive this lol. I stand to be proven wrong.

Anyway I appreciate the reply. A problem shared is a problem halved.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 slowclap

@Alpha1-1Cretty @duefrine Buckle up lads and get ready to wait. 🤣

I applied in January, did online assessments at the end of January and heard nothing until June. Did in person assessments, and one interview and a medical between July and October and I am still waiting to be invited to my final interview. Irish Rail does not move fast but I’ve been assured that it’s worth it in the end.

• Advertisement

@slowclap

I find your response a little reassuring if I'm honest. I don't mind whatsoever. I'm just trying to gather some opinions to see if it's a case of "if you didn't survive this round you'd know already" lol.

I'll wait as long as it takes tbh

Thanks for the response!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Generally they don’t give feedback until they close applications which is tomorrow. The only rejections now are those who failed to get past the initial questions before the 3 online assessments.

It is usually a few weeks (4-6 max) then the online assessment feedback comes out and the waiting game starts then for those who get passed to IE.

Will come down to if IE hold in person tests before or after Christmas for the next part.

Someone who applied last year (late April) just before deadline didn’t get feedback until late June and the next phase didn’t take place until late August. Moved a little faster after this but guess that depends on classes.

@Jamie2k9

Thanks for the insights and the detailed response.

It seemed like there was a great deal of urgency but alas, that doesn't seem to be the case I suppose.

I can't wait to hear some feedback from the OPC tho just to figure out where I need to improve. I wasn't in the greatest state when I did them but I think I might scrape by. If I don't I can live with that till next time for sure. I will wait as long as I have to for this.

I grew up going to school beside Carlow train station and always loved watching the class 201s rolling on through. This lit a spark that still hasnt gone away 17 years later. I will stop at nothing (except for stations and danger signals.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭romaderwdcsax

So I received the email earlier today about my line manager interview and unfortunately I wasn’t successful in making it any further.

Absolutely gutted as I thought the interview went very well from my side, but that’s life.

Best of luck to everyone else currently involved in the process.

That's very unfortunate to hear. You should be able to continue next time. I don't think you have to run the entire process again. Someone correct me if I'm wrong of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great resource here, people. How long do the online SCAAT, RAAT and SJT tests take to complete? There's a deadline of Sunday to get them done.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Designator

When did you do your line manager interview? I did mint two months ago, still waiting to hear back

I did mine two weeks ago.

They said at the interview that the longer it takes for them to get back to you, the better it is, so I would take the no news so far for yourself as good news.

I’ve reapplied again since the deadline is tomorrow morning, be interesting to see if I get as far again this time

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jumpinjohnny85

I'm sorry to hear that. Where was it you applied for again? I'm still waiting to hear back, its been over two months since my final line manager interview and medical.

Are you planning on re-applying?

Which did you do first? Your medical or your interview?

My understanding of it is that the two are separately assessed, however if you were invited for a medical after the line manager interview then you’re probably good. Why would they send you for a medical if you weren’t successful in the interview?

I done the medical first, about 2 weeks before the interview.

I’m in the same boat! Medical first and still waiting for interview. At least when it’s the other way around you know you’re on the final hurdle.

best of luck to you.

It said in the email that “to be considered an interested candidate in any new campaigns in the future you will be required to reapply to the new campaign” so I presume I start all over again

Applied for cork. Ya I reapplied again last night, have to start all over again

• Advertisement

They told me in the 16pf interview, that if unseccessful, you need to re-apply again but you come in where you left off last time? I think it was mentioned somewhere above by someone else that has experienced this.They got on to HR and they continued from where they finished last time.

Best of luc this time round.

I’ve emailed HR and I’ll see what they get back to me with

Unfortunately not, got official confirmation from HR earlier that I need to start from the beginning again.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭moonlight06

I'm in exactly same boat as you. Rejection after Line Manager interview. I can understand about applying afresh again but what about the assessments in Inchicore, they all have to done again as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lanturnn

“I don't imagine they can assess thousands of people in a few short weeks.”

A few short weeks… oh my boy. You’re in for a treat.

Week 2 waiting after line manager interview (it’s the step before references).

The whole process took most of 2023. May the odds be in your favour

Hahaha it really does feel a bit like the hunger games or a battle royale game doesn't it?

Screw it. I'm not scared. If I'm dropped I'm back again next year. I will rinse and repeat until I can do so no longer.

Thanks for the insights!

Thats terrible,What email are you using to contact them? I might try giving them a shout to see if I can get some news.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Reading through the last few pages about the application process ye are all going through I was wondering what are the attractions to the job are for ye.

Is it the pay or steady income or childhood dream etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TheShepard

There is someone here who got the refusal the first time, then reapplied and went right to the phase where they were refused and since got the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭agnena

I would be interested to know the same. Also, do all these three tests have to be taken at the same time/in one go? Can they be taken on different days?

Advertisement