Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,215 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Boggles has done SFA here, except vilify the good name of a dead man. I just don't engage with him/her/other.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,049 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well, I can’t agree with anyone targeting a poster in a bullying fashion; so apologies here if you feel I may have.

separately: I really do believe you are not posting in good faith, and this is what is leading to your being “targeted.”

Some of your postings in surreptitiously defending everything that paints these killers unfavourably is actually insulting. And I’d imagine incredibly upsetting if members of the Corbett family were reading.

I think the only actual issue you have is the killers over-doing the beating. Mother a jaysus, that’s an awful view to only have.

And your defiance in disbelieving the harrowing statements from Jason’s children, while using courts this and courts that, beggars belief.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The amount of posters obsessed with what Boggles posts and then who immediately take offence and feel the need to jump on it to criticise them. If you think she's trolling then just ignore her posts (or report them) but speaking for everyone else, it is a bit of a PITA reading the constant bickering going on!

Nobody is obsessed. It's a discussions board, and if people see some postings that they believe/deem are outrageous they will respond. It's not about taking offence. Nobody needs to ignore anyone, as long as it's kept civil.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Look that's like someone has been watching too much CSI or stuff like that. Seriously who hatches a plan to murder their husband and drags their parents into it, one of whom is former FBI. Nothing is impossible but it's barely credible. In fact, it's just plain ludicrous! There was zero benefit to them in killing the deceased.

• Advertisement

Are you going to address the version about Jason (big man) attacking Molly and him being left destroyed, and Molly and Tom with no injuries.

Bear in mind, it was allegedly Molly and Jason alone for a period before Tom got involved. How is it that in that time, Molly was injury free from her attacking husband?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 board silly

I was wondering about Tom Martens' role in this, as it didn't really add up when you consider the statements from the children and Jason's family. He was not a violent individual and I found it unlikely that Martens walked in on Jason strangling Molly and proceeded to attack him with the baseball bat.

What's more likely is that Molly attacked a sleeping Jason with the brick, then she freaked out and called for Daddy. Tom Martens appeared at some point, either carrying the bat or soon to be armed with it. Either way he surveyed the scene and decided to use the bat and then claim self-defence.

Apologies if this is already the board consensus. I haven't read all of the thread.

....... I'd remind you that both prosecution and defence agreed that Molly Marten considered herself to be in danger. Do you accept this?........

Presuming you do, then if she considered her life to be in danger and all accept this, then does this not imply to you therefore that it's accepted that the deceased was attacking or had attacked Molly to some extent on the night in question?

If you don't accept that the both prosecution and defence agreed that Molly Marten considered herself to be in danger. Well I can't help any further, cos that's just making stuff up to suit a narrative.

so you answer a question with a question.

I already answered this. Yes, I am aware that both sides agreed that Molly considered herself to be in danger....that doesn't mean she was in danger. It means "she considered" herself to be in danger. A person can choose to believe her or not.

Now, can you explain what I have asked....why do you think if Jason attacked Molly, and was alone with her, attacking her before Tom became involved....why did both have no injuries?

I expect another deflection, just like another poster, as you can't explain, it, and in being unable to explain it, it means you are incriminating Molly....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The benefit has been made abundantly clear since the beginning. Molly hated Jason and wanted the kids. And likely his money too.

Greed is a powerful motivator. To say it can’t lead to murder, especially when the person who committed the crime is known to be unstable, is just naive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

no the prosecution wasn't confident it could prove otherwise

which is the mad bit, as nothing changed in the case

I'm answering you with a question as you haven't answered it previously. I believe it was established in this sentence hearing that the accused had marks on her neck. Now you can vacillate on how she got these, but nobody really knows. As it stands, that is an indication that she considered her life to be in danger. Maybe she attacked him first as you suggest and he turned on her, for her father to enter the room. Who knows?

But how was this going to work out? They're not stupid people. You can't just beat the crap out of someone and expect to inherit a fortune and get custody of children. Think about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Its really not that complicated.

Clearly they were arrogant enough to think they could fool the police, the courts and child protective services.

Molly is an accomplished liar and I believe she really thought she could fool everyone into believing Jason was abusive and that she was a good mother.

Fair play. You answered. Yes, the marks on her neck that were self-inflicted and superficial, and deemed suspicious by the cops. Of course she’s marking her neck. We do know how she got them. She was seen inflicting them

I’ll leave it there. Anyone buying that markings on her neck as even a possibility that she was being strangled by a far bigger man is about as gullible as gullible can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I'm sure this has already been answered in this thread but does anyone know why the Prosecution didn't get Corbett's former wife's sister over to testify? She could have easily contradicted all the BS strangulation "experts" since she was in the house the night that her sister died and witnessed her trying and failing to use inhalers to stymy the asthma attack that killed her.

I think because these scurrilous allegations only surfaced quite recently.. I could be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,791 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I mean if that's the case then I wonder could the prosecution get a re-re-trial "in light of new evidence"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,215 ✭✭✭✭Water John

MM had a light necklace that never got damaged, go figure? The blood spatters show Jason was initially attacked lying in bed. These are facts, so whatever transpired has to be in keeping with those facts.

Some a the posting here would have seen Puska get acquitted....that is the level of naivety and silliness here. People needing a full honest confession and detailed video evidence before they see what everyone else sees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭standardg60

What's ludicrous is that someone who clearly has very little knowledge of the actual facts surrounding the case is so confident that the Martens story is true, for no other reason than 'i can't believe that two people would do that'

You're actually a great example of why prosecutors can be reluctant to go to trial, some people just won't be swayed from their own emotively driven thinking no matter what evidence they're presented with.

Why do you think Sharon Martens stayed in bed, or did you even know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

The explanation of the brick being in the bedroom was nonsense in my opinion. It was a big heavy brick with a rough surface. Exactly the type you wouldn't use for an 'art project.' and of course was not painted or modified. So apaprently Molly was going to paint this brick with the kids in her bedroom. From what is known of Molly I'm going to say the chances of her letting kids paint a brick in her bedroom were exactly zero.I've never heard of or seen anyone do this in my life. Jack and Sarah were 8 and 10 at the time. Could they even carry this brick into school? it seems unlikely. I wonder when they came up with this excuse as it wasn't offered in the first trial.

Aside I just read this: ‘When I was five years old she told me that my Dad killed my mom. Who tells a five-year-old child that her Dad killed her mom?'

She is a deplorable human being.

You say 'the marks on her neck that were self-inflicted and superficial'.. How do you know? Were you there, did you see them or her self inflicting these marks??

No I'm a good example of someone who keeps an open mind on things. There are others here characteristic of many boards threads, that like to jump on a bandwagon and join the lynching posse.

There is no doubt but that the deceased was badly beaten to death by possibly Molly but certainly her father. What is at doubt is how the situation developed. I simply find it hard to swallow the 'pure evil' narrative. And suspect it was a lot more nuanced that that - good and bad on both sides of that marriage. That things got out of hand.

If you and others are happy in the lynch mob, I'll leave you to it. :)

Did I see her inflicting the marks? What sort a silly question is that?

you are either extremely gullible or being deliberately obtuse. You don’t want to accept real credible and logical evidence; you’d prefer to question everything, despite it being glaringly obvious.

Tom said he saw 19 stones Jason strangling Molly, and Jason would not stop when Tom asked him to stop. So strangling her long enough to make next to no marks (other than the marks she made from rubbing and scratching her neck, seen doing this by cops). And your retort is “did I see her doing this?”

and what has a lynch mob got to do with folks not believing her ludicrous self-defense claims about her being strangled?

You are absolutely not keeping an open-mind here. You refuse to accept what they did and how they did it; you’re fixated with why they did it… only they know. But your believing this to be a fight that got out of hand when nothing suggests this at all (other than the killers lies) is just daft

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You do realise criminals do $hit all the time that to normal law abiding minds would be absolute madness yeah?

Like that's essentially the difference between the two. I could use your logic for every murderer and be like nobody is ever guilty because "shur begorraah who'd be mad enough to do that'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,092 ✭✭✭Be right back

Nice friends..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah posted that earlier - between that and the defence lawyers saying how painful and upsetting it was for Molly to have to sit through the victim impact statements, you can tell just how little level of remorse there is in that family and their hangers on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Cops had to tell her to stop rubbing her neck. At the end of the the day I’ll believe Jason’s kids before Mollys lies although a couple of posters believe they are lying. She’s a proven liar, telling friends the kids were hers, she has no credibility.

The prosecution were useless, they shouldn’t have agreed to that plea bargain that people are now accepting Jason was attacking Molly until daddy turned up with a baseball bat . As you would when he turned up with after a 5 hour drive unknown to Jason who wasn’t expecting it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭standardg60

Advertisement