Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

This has been explained to you over and over again. Unfortunately spouses killing their partners in bad relationships is not unusual. Hate, rage, jealousy are enough. Stop pretending this is an unheard of situation. I don't believe you are that naive. There are also a lot of fathers out there who would take the rap for their children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

There were emails and a phone call communicating his wish to return home.

The suitcases one would assume were taken, as were a lot of other personal items, by the Martens family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

of course they could have gotten his dead body out of the bed are you mad, one person could have

I wouldn't say the prosecutor alleged this is what what happened, a plea deal is a negotiation between the defense and the prosecution.

there is no rhyme nor reason why they would accept this plea deal.

There was no new evidence provided during this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ok, so you're saying that she is/was mentally unstable and for whatever reason, decided that despite that she's of relatively slight build compared to her husband, that she'd kill him. That she was deranged etc.

So what of the father? Is he batty as well?

Let's suppose for arguments sake that he hears a row going on. Surely he'd just go to the room and intercede to calm things. Why would he start hitting the deceased? What could have caused him to get involved to that extent?

not really, what would be interesting if they bothered to explain why they changed there mind the first time and then back again

like even the article headline is an indication that justice wasn't server

• Advertisement

There was blood splatter on the bed which experts said were indicative of the first blow being dealt while Jason was lying in bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,911 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

If there were emails and phone calls communicating he was immediately returning home why did Tracy not testify to that in court? Instead of admitting there was no plans made to come home.

That is pretty overwhelming evidence that would support premeditation. Don't you agree?

Again this is what she said testified to under oath.

Outside the presence of the jury, Lynch testified that Jason had expressed to her he wanted to go back to Ireland.

Ms Lynch added: “He had good friends there (in Ireland) and appreciated them. He planned to go back there before Jack started secondary school.”

But David Freedman, Martens’ attorney, got her to acknowledge on cross-examination that Jason had not made any plane reservations or made any other arrangements to return to Ireland on a permanent basis.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The suitcases one would assume were taken, as were a lot of other personal items, by the Martens family.

Who the mystery suitcase was taken by is moot, how did she know there was a mystery suitcase sitting in the hall and removed before the police arrived when she was 3 and a half thousand miles away?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I saw that reference to no eye contact previously in the thread- is there an article online covering that? Not challenging you just interested in reading more about that especially if the feeling from journalists is that there’s a rift between the two of them

• Registered Users Posts: 55,106 ✭✭✭✭walshb

You tell me why he got so involved?

bear in mind Tom and Molly had next to injuries at all. So, why would he be so so violent in his response?

One would expect that kind of reaction if your daughter was clearly in a bad way. She had no injuries at all.

The situation was set up by Molly, and Tom (who hated Jason), which would make it a lot easier to be violent against Jason, was very much part of it. Part of wanting Jason dead.

Tom admitted to beating and beating him. Yet Molly was un-injured. There’s your hate… he saw his chance, and he took it on a man he hated, and on a man that was not physically hurting his (unmarked) daughter.

ffs, they waited quite a time to even call an ambulance. That was done for two reasons: a hatred and lack of remorse, and to concoct lies to explain their killing.

not my issue you’re too gullible to not see this.

I suppose they ended up in Bobby Martens house along with the laptops phones etc that all were missing

• Advertisement

"District Attorney (DA) Garry Frank said the prosecution team in the Corbett trial debated charging Molly Martens Corbett and her father Thomas Martens with first-degree murder.

The prosecution, however, feared despite having probable cause, they would not be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt Martens Corbett has planned to murder her husband with the cement brick.

Her decision to not give testimony in her defence meant the prosecution could not question her in front of the jury about the brick and the alleged altercation."

Also interesting,

“I cannot remember if he said something, or just hit Jason to get him off me. Jason grabbed the bat from him and I tried to hit him with a brick... I had on my night stand. I do not remember clearly after that,” she wrote.

The statement was taken on the day of the murder, on August 2nd 2015. It was entering into evidence and seen by the court, but Martens Corbett choose to not testify in front of the court in the trial.

District Attorney Garry Frank said the cement brick was the “smoking gun” in the prosecution’s consideration over potentially taking a first-degree murder charge for the killing of Mr Corbett by his wife and father-in-law.

The North Carolina Davidson county DA said the cement brick kept on the nightstand “strongly” suggested the murder was intended and premeditated.

Poor Molly couldn't keep her lies straight.

Then Boggles tries to say because someone saw the brick there before the murder that this is some evidence it wasn't planned

Again, this has been covered on thread several times.

One of the main reasons the Supreme Court held up the quashed conviction was that the simple explanation for the brick being in the room was erroneously with held in the first trial.

The Jury foreman also testified it was one of the main reasons they voted to convict her.

Oh the 'art project'. I wondered before how the kids corroborated this since?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'd remind you that both prosecution and defence agreed that Molly Marten considered herself to be in danger. Do you accept this?

Is it not equally probable that the couple had a row which led to a physical altercation during the night and that when the father came in, he saw the deceased attacking his daughter. In that situation, it's perfectly understandable that he would have struck the deceased in order to save his daughter. (I and most fathers would in that situation) But that he got carried away.

If this is the likely scenario, of a domestic that got out of hand, that's a very different picture that some here like to paint of a pair of evil psychopaths.

And you did. It’s like debating an AI with you..

so if you can’t give your own view (and keep posting tiresome judge and court views), what’s the point of it all?

it’s simple: you keep posting/projecting anything that favours Molly. Absolute everything that is presented to you that shows Molly unfavourably is met with court postings to try quash these criticisms.

Ok, we will agree to disagree.

of course Molly “considered” herself to be in danger. That was one of her lies to justify the murder…j

a domestic that got out hand of where one party had no injuries at all and the other was smashed to pieces..sorry, beyond illogical

Can you explain why (if 19 stones Jason was attacking Molly) that she had no injuries at all? Maybe he was tickling her?

Look Boggles it’s obvious that, for whatever reason, you’ve chosen to believe two people who are proven liars. I can see from your replies to my own and others posts there’s no point arguing.

Anyone with half a brain can see what happened here and who is responsible.

Post edited by AudreyHepburn on

I already gave a personal opinion multiple times outlining why I thought the brick was illogical as a premeditated murder weapon.

Seriously you are going to have stop mispresenting what people are posting and at least entertain the notion that people are entitled to have a differing opinion to yours, instead of badgering them into accepting yours.

I have stated multiple times already I respect your opinion and have said your version of events broadly could be possible.

If you are not willing to at least acknowledge any of that then it is absolutely pointless debating the issue with you, so we will again have to leave it there.

• Advertisement

they said it should have been omitted, not that it was valid evidence of such

it was a mistake to omit that evidence

also a mistake to not retrial

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭standardg60

Again, there wasn't a mark on either of them so it's not probable.

The judge remarked that Sharon going back to sleep while Tom left the room with a baseball bat to investigate a disturbance made no sense whatsoever. The only real plausible explanation is that she knew precisely what was going to happen, and she must also have known that Jason wasn't in a position to put up much resistance, because he was asleep having taken sleeping pills.

They were all in on it. They wanted to secure custody of the kids, initially by claiming domestic violence, but when Jason scuppered that plan by intending to leave they came up with a plan to kill him.

because he was asleep having taken sleeping pills.

Again.

The Prosecution in the first trial admitted that the minute traces of Trazodone found in his system would have absolutely no effect on him.

I agree that the brick thing is weak in terms of premeditation, but she hit him with it before the father entered the scene, in her own words

but considering that the prosecution believed it a smoking gun, what evidence was brought forward to change their minds.

I agree that the brick thing is weak in terms of premeditation, but she hit him with it before the father entered the scene, in her own words

Could I get a link to these words please?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As entertaining as it is reading his replies, don't know why yizzer pandering to Boggles nonsense.

i could be mixing up her statement with one of the jurors, been a while

keeps them from doing damage in the real world

Since the thread has basically descended into a platform to discuss me personally and not the topic I'll bow out.

I never liked seeing anyone infracted or banned anyway, I think it has pretty much run it course TBH.

👍️

• Advertisement

you did collate some interesting bits and pieces I hadn't read

Advertisement