Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The trial of Molly Martens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭standardg60

What they said in the immediate aftermath that was backed up by hours and hours of secret recordings that were sent to an expert family law attorney?

Recordings that revealed precisely nothing other than a normal family row? This despite MM's obvious attempts to goad Jason into rows knowing they were being recorded with the aim to justify gaining custody of the kids.

That's what you'd rely on?

Not the statements made 8 years later, the ones made in the presence of the only 3 people who actually know the real truth?

Two of those people spoke with calmness and dignity, the other sobbed and moaned, having killed one of their parents and accusing that parent of killing their mother.

Sick doesn't even go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 54,914 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Deleted

Post edited by Annasopra on

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes it's shocking I know that other people have different views. If it is the case that the father wasn't involved in the actual assault on the deceased but was involved to the extent of helping his daughter to 'cover it up', I think that is very understandable thing to do and particularly for a father. If he has continued to take the rap and stand by her, that is admirable. I trust you are not shocked.

I also presume that you may not have children yourself? You do realise that parents can do literally anything to save their children from consequences. It's called love.

• Advertisement

If any child of mine did that to another human being I’d be disgusted, and would actively assist and help the police.

You said you’d admire someone doing it.

your view here is warped. Very much so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Hmmmm I think you might find that your views could be compromised sometime. As they say, doctors differ and patients die. Wouldn't it be boring if we all thought the same?

Yes, it would be boring..

btw, in the case of Tom, the only reason he’d be taking the rap (if he is) is because he hated Jason; so more out of him being delighted with Jason’s death as opposed to his “admirable” love for his daughter, as you see it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,169 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is a big red line between supporting someone who has mental/drug issues, and actively supporting them in their misdemeanors.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Chocolatier

That's not love. That's enabling, which perpetuates unhealthy behaviour and prevents them from learning and growing.

• Advertisement

I was referring to the statements made by the children in the days after the attack when they were interviewed by social care workers. I don't think any credence was given to the audio featuring the family row, which as you say, sounded fairly normal. What was the max sentence for the manslaughter plea available to the sentencing judge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Packrat

Hi Boggles...

That little sabbatical wasnt very long now was it...

It's clear you think we're all stupid except you, but this takes the biscuit for stupidity and arrogance.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

You are right. Its beyond sick that people in this thread are pretty much calling everything those 2 young people said last week lies.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I have two children that I obviously deeply love, if either of them do wrong I try to teach them about the error of their ways so they can learn from it. I also try and get them to own the mistake and take responsibility for it. That’s what parenting is, the basics. If they are involved in some hideous crime and I knew they were responsible for it I would leave it in the hands of the law and I would love them no less than I do today.

There is nothing admirable about what that man has done and you don’t understand the meaning of unconditional love. You are deluded and I certainly dread to think that you have children of your own if this is your take on love and parenting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭Be right back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭HBC08

A lot of posts pointing this out (including mine) were removed.

You're not allowed laugh at what this poster has done apparently or even allude to it.

Strange.

Yes, same here and got a warning too, for the first time too! Knuckles firmly rapped!😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭HBC08

Just to be clear I'm not accusing anybody of anything (I don't want any trouble!) I'm not alluding to anything either

I just found a certain posters (supposed,alleged etc) actions to be the funniest thing I've seen on boards in my time here.

To get back on topic I think this whole case stank from the beginning. TM and MM haven't quite got away with murder but got off extremely lightly.The death of their father would be very difficult for those kids to get over but what has followed since is another level.Same goes for the Corbett family.I hope they all find peace someday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If you didnt have time to follow this closely and relied on just one's posters "factual posts" in a sea of BS, how do you know what's BS and what's factual?

If the judge relied on the children's testimony after the report that would be rather foolish, and ignoring plenty of peer reviewed research in the area of children's testimony reliability, and that's before you add the huge emotional distress of the loss of a parent.

If you want some reading on the topic I suggest reading up on studies published by Coxen, Valentine, Ceci, Kulkofsky, Klemfuss, Sweeney, Bruck, Koriat, Goldsmith, Schneider, and Nakash-Dura.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,287 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Tork

Furze got banned from the Enoch Burke thread because of his admiration for the Burkes and their no-holds-barred defence of him.

I thought I had read it all, but after the poster posting his/her admiration for Tom (if he covered, cleaned and took the rap) for the savagery of what Jason was inflicted with, I guess I had not....

same poster asked me how did I know Molly's marked neck was self-inflicted and superficial....was I there, I was asked...😖

• Registered Users Posts: 5,194 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I find it totally extraordinary that the “battles” fought here by good decent posters over the last few weeks were not supported by thread bans and the like. There’s only so much patience ordinary posters have - were certainly not properly supported that’s for sure- some absolutely disgusting posts supporting the martens disguised as legitimate even legally backed information. I’m bloody sick of it- I still see the same posters post elsewhere - and when you raise this as an issue you’re treated like a bold child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Very strange, you're one of the more civil posters on this thread.

I got a warning and a post deleted as well, must admit it was close to the bone.

Well thank you! 😊 Was annoyed to get the warning yesterday. Oh well.🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Confectioners must be a protected species on here.

Because he/she was quoting from court documents and commenting on established facts rather than speculating and repeating falsehoods.

While it's possible for a child to parrot a story, professional social care workers, especially those experienced in dealing with children, are trained to recognise signs of coaching or manipulation. They use specific interview techniques to elicit accurate information from children.

Memory is complex and malleable. I'm open to accepting that the children could have better recall and enhanced ability to distinguish between fact and fiction as their cognitive abilities developed, but it seems the court - who would have had access to all kinds of psychological expertise - did not discount the original account.

This was manslaughter, caused in no small part by Molly Martens' instability and poor impulse control due to her bipolar condition. I don't think she's a monster. The judge got it right essentially, IMO.

• Advertisement

Manslaughter it changed to. It was a massacre. Originally, and correctly a murder charge.

Planned either that day to be a massacre, or before that day. Ultimately only Molly and Tom know what happened, and know what they meant to happen.

I very much doubt Molly meant to cause a relatively benign physical altercation.

what I think is very very close to certain is that they beat him to death when he was no threat right from the get go..and that is murder for me.

and she is the dictionary fooking definition of a monster.

Advertisement