Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

The medal was a disgrace. A piece of wood that looked shocking. The tshirt doesn't fit.

It was very warm, now they can't control that. But they can control the water and they didn't. It was a shambles. They sent an email out a while ago and they basically blamed the logistics which was done by the Army. Very poor form.

I also hated the half marathon joining. We ran with our wave perfectly, were running for sub 4 but it wasn't synced up cos when the half joined us. Had loads of them flying past us and ducking and weaving in and out, felt a bit unsafe.

I also don't like contributing to companies that make profit off people like they do. It's owned by a money making enterprise.

People moan about Dublin but no one makes profit, it's all given back to the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

My bug bear with the lottery system is that I have volunteered for the last few marathons and yet someone who didn't get out of bed early last Sunday gets a preferred entry while I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I'm afraid that those stupid wooden medals are becoming the fashion now. I have 3 so far this year and I think next year will be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

I think I saw a post earlier about someone asking about the youtube video of them crossing the finish line. Just follow the link in the text about your finish time and you will see another link showing you crossing the line. Just press refresh if it times out.

You can also get it here https://www.tdleventservices.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

New approach?

Could that mean a wooden medal?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,437 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

They need to make the names on the bibs bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Has anyone got a photo of the spectator on Fortfield Road, who was all dressed in black with a big wig and pumping techno music from his drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭sk8board

Worth pointing out that if you’re after a BQ time, there’s only 5 races in Ireland with the accepted standard - cork, Waterford, limerick, Dublin and Longford.

Longford is sponsored by Abbott (world majors sponsor), and is ideally positioned the week before the BQ window closes for any late attempts, (albeit usually only about 120-140 finishers I think?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

I don't but fair play to them as they seem to do some form of that every year there!

Apologies, owned was the wrong way to say it.

They do work with Davis Events Agency and I doubt they do it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Butterbeans

But I presume the Cork marathon organisers hire them. Why would they do it for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

Longford is a lovely rural marathon, with usually strong showing at the top end, ideally timed as training before the Autumn season.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Finisher Pix is cool. Adding a selfie added another 40+ pics for me

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Yeah me too. Unfortunately I’d bought the pack before the selfie but hoping they will be included when the download link arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

Disgraceful comment.

Longford is not a rip off like other marathons/races.

That's my point. I'd say a large part of the fee goes to them

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭FazyLucker

I'm not from Dublin but neither would I be bothered running any marathon in the country bar Dublin.

To me, the crowd the whole way around makes Dublin the marathon it is. They drive people on. Honestly, its grand to say somewhere is a lovely rural marathon but to me that screams boredom and miles and miles of nothing.

I can see the attraction for a half marathon or 10k for example but the full thing needs the "rock star" appeal of Dublin crowds and running numbers to make you feed part of something massive.

Its worth the few extra bob for me and that's no offence to the organisers of these events. They just don't float my boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

@Silver-Tiger Did you have to do anything special to get the selfie to upload? I get an error both on my phone (Android; using camera) and laptop (Windows; uploading file and Adblock disabled) saying the file didn't upload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Runster

For the more seasoned runners Longford can be a rehearsal for Dublin.

I know a few athletes who do it before Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

I just used desktop. Downloaded a selfie from my Google photos. No issues

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

I'm correct in thinking there actually was a spectator holding two live ducks near the Roebuck end of the run this year right? I know it's where things get tough and the mind can play tricks but I know I saw two ducks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Definitely. Some people had their name on their t-shirt or wrote their name in big letters on the bib which was great. It's nice being able to cheer on some random person. I'll definitely be writing my name in large letters on my bib when I do it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭chabsey

I saw him after the ducks so the two are separate events. I asked someone I was running beside shortly after and they looked at me like I was delirious. I know I saw the ducks though. They existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yeah, I was out with a friend, supporting a couple of people we knew, but we ended up staying for two hours and shouting encouragement at anyone we could. It was just such a positive experience, seeing the effort that everyone was putting in. If we could read a name we would, but sometimes they were almost past us before we were able to make out the names on the bibs. They really could be a lot bigger!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

The system for entering the marathon isn't fit for purpose as DCM tried to assist those after Covid and then transfers and fall between all the stools. I would guess they are short alot of funds after no event for '20 & '21 and probably have no cash reserves to tide them over. Also the huge drop in the race series event numbers can't be a help.

This was the first year that I didn't either volunteered or run it since 2010 (2014 my last run) as I was out of the country and I've heard stories from people I know of gear not turning up, no bags for bag drop and no food/tea for volunteers.

The swapping of numbers is gone beyond a joke and they're tempting fate if they don't put a stop on it or at least seriously attempt to from now on before something badly goes wrong. 5,500 no shows who still get an entry for '24 (do I have that right?) is just going to continue the trend of no shows and number swapping as they'll all know that they can do it in 2025 and have their place kept. You'd miss the days of doing the half in September and then signing up when you knew where you stood on health and fitness wise!

• Advertisement

That's one of the reasons I think they should scrap the guaranteed entry (even though I am benefitting).

People sign up now. Come next September they realise fitness isn't where it should be. They don't see a "cost" cos they paid 10 months previous. So they don't do it cos they know they'll get an entry to next year anyway. ""I'll be fitter next year".

If people knew they might not get a chance to do it next year, they'd be more likely to do it and actually train I reckon.

Plus it's closing the door to new runners, it's making it a closed shop. Imagine all 22k runners sign up again. That means no one will get a place in the lotto. That seems unfair to me

Advertisement