Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭sk8board

I cannot understand the backhanded ‘feedback’ here since Sunday at all.

even in awful weather it was a fantastic running experience, and the course support was at least on a par with last year when it was dry and bright.

its a great event lads - we have no access to the info the organisers have, and no doubt they also would love to know where the 5000 no shows were.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭JoeCole26

This made me laugh. 😊 Remember seeing them also but can’t remember where - very random alright. Big ducks aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

Yeah, they were large ducks, I remember the lady was struggling to hold them. Bizarre. But at least it actually happened and I didn't imagine it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Runner2023

Is someone who didn't run this year because they just weren't arsed really likely to shell out €115 for guaranteed entry next year?

I got injured after the transfer window closed and didn't sell on my number. Guaranteed entry for next year is taking the sting out of it a bit at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭py

I had an entry for 2022 but couldn't do the full distance because of injury. Paced a friend home for the last 10-12Km.

Picked up an entry for 2023 straight after 2022. Fortunate to pick up a lottery entry to Chicago so my plans changed. I was due to pace someone around DCM for their first marathon but between a lack of training, injuries etc. they pulled out. I decided to do the same. So there is 2 of the 5k no shows.

Not signing up for 2024. Might do 2025. Logistically it is a doddle for me. I can see how the number collection demands would put people off though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

FinisherPix showing elapsed rather than net times on the images seems incorrect. Was certainly net times last year. I wouldn't use the pictures with the times printed on them for anything but still nice to have for posterity.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

Only those who started this year should be guaranteed entry next year.

But again, all the problems go away if they sort out a proper transfer system right up to the week of the event. I just fail to see the problem other than that those people all turn up.

There's often genuine life reasons why people can't naturally but it shouldn't be 7k no shows and many many more running on somebody else's bib.

This is the only major complaint I would have with how it is organised. Any more complaints, well join the committee and I'm sure they'll be delighted to have another volunteer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Update: Lottery entry not open until tomorrow now as priority entry is extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Group of 5 of us, we've done the last 3 and decided that we won't be taking advantage of a priority entry this year. To be honest FOMO kicked in last year, and then we kind of regretted entering so quick, as we probably would have done a different marathon. Hopefully everybody who wants an entry will get one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

As a marshal on Mount Street, I could only start to make out the names I'd say not much more a metre away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭ergo

What a great day Sunday was and what a great weekend marathon weekend is if you're taking part

Wasn't running but other half was and several close friends were, bumped into several old aquaintances too at the expo, had no idea they were doing marathons

There is such a great buzz around the city on marathon day. The logistics of organising such an event must be unbelievably complex, fair play that it all ran smoothly with no major issues

Now I recognise the points people have about transfers, number collection etc,

maybe for 2024 can have separate feedback thread? - even in the week up to the marathon this thread was dominated by negative posts about number collection, was a bit of a shame

Anyway, well done to all who took part

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Did anyone see the dude running in speedos, fair play 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭gar

I emailed them to change the finishing time on mine and they did. The splits are all wrong but that's not the format I'll be printing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You can do more than one. I highly recommend the San Sebastián one. About 4 weeks after Dublin.

take 2 weeks off, run a 20 km then a few 5kms and you are good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭ted1

They say a no refundable 5 euro fee but there’s a 20% booking fee which brings it up to €6 which is a bit cheeky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Trampas

Are you to wear your club singlet when completing in the national championship? If so why do some runners get an exemption?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Just curious but are marshals close to the finish instructed to pull out anybody without a number and stop them getting over the finish line?

If you were to finish in the medals you could be DQ'd, it has happened in the recent past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

No. A few had family members (mostly kids) join them for a little at this point. Don't know when in the final 300m they would have peeled away.

We took a bit of stick from inpatient members of the public, same with local races, tbh. If there was anything like a public order situation, we'd have signalled we needed the Gardai. Didn't transpire, nor did it last year.

• Advertisement

I didn't mean kids running the last 100 metres with their dad, I would be more interested in what happens to actual runners without a number who could possibly be pacing somebody which of course is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

From the Athletics Ireland competition rules booklet:

• Athlete must wear club singlet, or an alternative permitted in certain circumstances with permission of meet manager / race director on application with entry

Elite athletes are generally allowed to wear a sponsor's singlet, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭brick tamland

One of the elites that was out with the leaders was just wearing a t-shirt that it looked like he got in Dunnes the day before the race. Gave me a laugh

Can they no get that sponsor to make one in their club colours

That’s not exactly how ‘sponsorship’ works 😀.

anyone see the articles today that Dublin City council want the route changed next year to reduce impact on public transport.

its becoming more and more clear that Dublin marathon on DCC operate in completely different worlds.

I actually despair

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

They could take some small enough measures to reduce the impact on transport though, starting even 15 mins earlier and reducing the wave gaps by 5 mins would have little to no impact.on the race but would allow a lot of the closed routes to open earlier, especially in the city centre and quays.

Also maybe a bit more controversial but 7 hours is a very long cut off for a big city marathon on closed roads, 6 or 6h30 would allow a lot of routes in the south city open a good bit earlier.

That’s a good point - the leafy south city burbs who would be in the DCC ear, are closed for most of the day.

what time do the quays or phoenix park reopen? final wave is 9:45, and the castleknock gate is exactly 10k, so even a walker is there in 2hrs ish?

Take scullion. He’s sponsored by under armour. Still have their logo on it. Just have same colour and crest.

The same public transport that many people can’t use to get to the start or is this a different one they’re on about

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭left_hander

Except they wouldn't be, and I happen to live very close to the route (the clean up of which has been nothing short of disgraceful, still lots of energy gels and bottles along it which presumably will rot.........anyway). I have never once heard any of my neighbours complain about the event.

It is 1 day a year and traffic can still get around, even if it can be heavy. Traffic is kept moving where possible as well so its not as if you can go nowhere.

Look, its ONE DAY per year. Its not something which is repeated on a monthly basis. If people can't accept a bit of inconvenience for one day a year then I think people need to re-evaluate themselves. The signs were up for weeks in advance. It wasn't just landed on anybody. People can plan for inconvenience for one day once they know in advance it is happening.

I'd find many of the roadworks which happen around us - mostly with zero notice - far more frustrating than the marathon where we can plan our day knowing that getting around will be a bit of a pain and plan to maybe to stay at home for that 1/2 day.

Eoin Keegan et al would be better off sorting out public transport on every other day of the year and when it is running seamlessly, then they can focus on the marathon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I'm just pointing out the rule. It provides plenty of wiggle room for elite athletes.

Advertisement