Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Presume/hope the Munster players will be available for the Barbarians game on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I still can't get over the fact WXV starts today as we hit the men's world cup knock-out stages, that they have structured it as 2 pools cross playing and that someone thought putting WXV 3 in Dubai was acceptable but here we are. For extra evidence someone is determined to make sure it flops they can't even schedule each game into it's own clear timeslot so the 4 games today all overlap (1, 2, 3:30, 4:30 starts).

Italy Vs Japan in WXV 2 could be a fun opener starting in about 10 minutes with Ireland playing Kazakhstan in WXV 3 last at 4:30 our time. Fiji Vs Colombia in WXV 3 is the 2 start and Scotland Vs South Africa at 3:30. Pretty sure the only place to (legally anyway) watch it is rugbypass.tv where you have to register with an email address, but at least they aren't charging I guess. I tried to register yesterday and didn't get the email to confirm the account, I just stuck in the same details again an hour ago and it came through this time in case anyone had the same problem.

Fingers crossed we can finally get back to winning ways today, if we can't it's going to be a dark dark day.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,038 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

the italian 13 Sillari has absolutely no problem slotting sideline conversions anyway !!

And Rigoni is always box office! Very handy center partnership.

Oh lovely, I threw on Fiji Vs Columbia now late (I was dragged away) and rugbypass said no to watching both at once telling me I'm watching a video on another device (just another browser window) and to close it and refresh :-/ sigh

No shock Fiji are running rampant.

• Advertisement

STARTING 15

Linda Djougang

Neve Jones

Christy Haney

Dorothy Wall

Sam Monaghan

Grace Moore

Edel McMahon (C)

Brittany Hogan

Molly Scuffil-McCabe

Dannah Kearney O'Brien

Beibhinn Parsons

Aoife Dalton

Eve Higgins

Natasja Behan

Meabh Deely

SUBSTITUTES

Sarah Delaney

Sadhbh McGrath

Megan Collis

Eimear Corri

Maeve O’Leary

Aoibheann Reilly

Nicole Fowley

Leah Tarpey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Tried post a reply to this earlier but site just wouldn't post it....

Now on phone

I get what you mean about timing of this but if done right it could attract some people who are watching men's tournament to transfer over and support women's...

On the rugby we have a few more players back from 7s which should help.

On the rugby we have a few more players back from 7s which should help.

they really need to sort out the availability during the 6 nations though. Its absolutely pointless having the 7s players available for this if they are seconded to sevens during the 15s game annual tournament.

I feel "if done right" is carrying a lot of water in that optimistic take. Ideal would probably simply have been to start the week after the men's world cup so broadcasters could have promoted it during the world cup. That the BBC (and ITV) decided that they didn't even want it for free when WXV 1 has replays of the world cup semi-finals, 3rd/4th and final speaks volumes.

I wanted to check if RTÉ had a final piece that even mentioned where you could watch the Ireland game (the prior ones just told you at the end about watching the men) but not only on their sport homepage but if you click into the rugby page there isn't a single mention of WXV now. They aren't going to be attracting the casuals or men's watchers who have been overloaded with games in fact I bet 90% have no idea it exists and 90% of those who do have no idea they could watch it (work allowing).

For me it will be interesting to see how O'Brien/Higgins work and if Parsons relishes getting back to 15s. And also if Kazakhstan are going to cause problems of if it will be all about Spain. This format is so odd though, I'd even forgotten we won't play Fiji.

Is this not the annual tournament now? Or it should be as if everyone played everyone.

I'm not sure we can really say they are seconded to 7s, I think it remains the other way around that they are 7s players who are now getting seconded to the 15s team. I don't think we'll get any insight into the contract situations and values though to really answer that!

Here comes the kick-off! I think the commentator (who still sounds like they are in another room to the microphone) says Kazahkstan are 3-2 up in the games between them :-o

Kazakhstan have played 10 games since 2014? Ouch! And a really poor kick from them there gifted a second try to Ireland. Higgins having a monster game already. The Kazakhs are game but looking like the sort of a team playing 1 game a year. Ireland's scrum is destroying them but it's impressive how brilliantly the Kazakh's are dealing with it!

And before I've posted that O'Brien misses touch from a penalty but Higgins ends up running it in through a lot of players from 35m to keep us going at a point a minute!

• Advertisement

Is this not the annual tournament now? Or it should be as if everyone played everyone.

I'm not sure we can really say they are seconded to 7s, I think it remains the other way around that they are 7s players who are now getting seconded to the 15s team. I don't think we'll get any insight into the contract situations and values though to really answer that!

Here comes the kick-off! I think the commentator (who still sounds like they are in another room to the microphone) says Kazahkstan are 3-2 up in the games between them :-o

i say 'seconded' because im referencing the 15s game. i appreciate they are pro sevens players, but the reason for that is purely financial and not "rugby", anyway, semantics.

WXV rugby is a great idea, and yes is an annual tournament, but its not THE annual tournament, that will always be the 6 nations, my opinion of course.

but really he fact that ireland are playing kazakhstan on world rugby's streaming site is testimony enough to the level of how this tournament is currently held. Hopefully it gets wider acclaim after a few seasons of it.

ireland up 50 - 0 at half time.

not a good look at all for the tournament.

looks like it should have been top 3 six nations in wxv1 and bottom 3 six nations in wxv2

samoa in wxv 2 should have been swapped with ireland in wxv 3

109 - 0

Nuff said

I detest the idea that all the 6 nations teams should have got a free pass into WXV 2 though I also detest that all the P4N teams got a free pass into it. For the first season I'll forgive a lot though in terms of how many qualification rounds/playoffs were realistic, what's less forgivable is no promotion/relegation between WXV 1 and 2 so WXV 1 is a closed shop exclusively for 6N and P4N teams with a fixed 3:3 split even if the results could say it should be 4:2 either way (or 3:2:1).

I'll also say that Samoa had to get past Fiji to get into WXV 2 and given Fiji beat South Africa in the world cup I don't see why you pick out the Oceania winners not to get a place Vs the African or Asian or last in P4N. Again ideally they all play off somehow but given there is promotion/relegation between WXV 2/3 that can work itself out though it will be a bit slower and less accurate then it should thanks to the two pools format.

I think there's two halves to WXV 3. Fiji, Spain and Ireland will all really think they can win the promotion place while Kazakhstan, Colombia and Kenya will all be enjoying getting together to play games and hoping they can stay out of the relegation play-off spot. There's a good argument it would have been better with the original plan as a 4 team round robin having had Kazakhstan, Colombia, Kenya and probably Netherlands have a league play-off (call it WXV 4 even) for the final spot.

Shockingly despite winning 109-0 I thought we weren't great. A few beautiful offloads and Higgins was superb (my PotM, not Parsons) but also massive amounts of poor passing still and plenty of other little mistakes (like a few penalty kicks for touch not finding touch). We were utterly dominant at the breakdown and the scrum and our all around power and fitness made it a bit of a classic pro Vs amateur game. The Kazahk's line was generally poorly passive and meant the quality of our passing wasn't the issue it would be against probably anyone in WXV 2 and Spain will probably get plenty of encouragement from it ahead of their final weekend meeting.

And meanwhile as I've been typing/editing this Samoa Vs USA has been proving some of the arguments as they go in 17-14 to USA thanks to them scoring from a loose aimless kick after the hooter. GTFO suggesting Samoa don't have far more right to get the shot then an Ireland team that lost all it's 6N games. To me the very point of WXV is ultimately to give those outside the closed shops a regular fair shake.

Interestingly I notice now the broadcasters around the world appeared (e.g. ITVX and S4C for England and Wales games), just Ireland and the USA really stand out as world rugby streaming only: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_WXV#Broadcasting_rights

Can't be too shocked on a Friday but a little sad to see the 34,500 capacity stadium looking very sparsely populated for the WXV 1 opener, be interesting to see if NZ Vs France tomorrow has the place jumping.

Fun to see in this opener if England can start their rebuild (meh, I'm not counting the Canada warm ups) with more of the same and/or if the Aussie women are on a real upward trend unlike their men. Like us I think the Aussies 15s would love 7s not to exist so they could have the likes of Maddison Levi out there (though maybe they wouldn't have got her out of AFLW for 15s). 15 minutes in England certainly not looking jet-lagged or like they've lost too much as they start to build again but the Aussies are doing more than just hanging in there. Of course a crazy rugby ball bounce and bizarre turnover as I type that seems to have given England their second try now.

Quite a few interesting games to come this weekend in WXV! Probably not the Irish one though again but Spain Vs Fiji will tell us a lot about our chances of winning the spot in WXV 2 next time or will have to perform in the 6 Nations to avoid another outing in WXV 3.

Before I get into the game just have to say I spotted a "multiview" button pop up on rugbypass which lets you watch multiple games at once and even gives you a choice of side/by/side or picture in picture for 2 games or 3 and 4 way options! I can't see how to control the audio beyond full blast or mute for each game so it's not perfect and not sure if it was there previously or new but I appreciate it!

42-7 in the end for England but that's not a very good reflection of the game. Australia will be sick that, especially when the game was close, they blew a few chances with poor passes knocked on. When down to 14 (2nd yellow same player) they were all over England. England's scrum was generally dominant and the Aussie lineout mis-fired a few times too many. Ref was extremely kind to England (Packer in particular) at the breakdown, just throwing themselves over and also giving away penalty after penalty whenever Australia got close to the line but the card only appeared after 80 minutes.

"I think we let ourselves down tonight" from the Aussie captain calling out their own errors and I wouldn't disagree, I'd say they are on the up unlike the men. NZ will be licking their lips at the prospect of turning over England again. Canada? Who knows, they are exceptional amateurs but can they find a way not to be ground down by England's professional power game? Still irks me France won't also be getting a crack at England!

USA Vs Scotland at 1pm will be interesting as will Spain Vs Fiji at 4:30pm and of course Rigoni is always box office but I expect Italy to blow away South Africa at 3:30pm. 4am for Canada Vs Wales is rough for us and 7am again for the big one of the weekend France Vs New Zealand. Ireland Vs Colombia better not be much of a contest tomorrow at 2pm but Japan Vs Samoa at 3pm is likely to be fun to wrap up this weekend.

Significant wind behind Scotland but they ran rampant really against USA for about half an hour, 17-0 up after 26 minutes and just a great job by Waters (USA 9) holding up her opposite number stopped them just wrapping up the bonus point. A few minutes later the ball just wouldn't stop and ran dead to deny them again.

USA finally got things together more consistently and were on top for the last 10 minutes but only finally got themselves some points with a try at the end of the half to pull it back to 17-7 at half time. Going to be an interesting second half.

7-7 second half so 24-14 with Scotland the ones closing the game out in the ascendency, game actually ended when they kicked a penalty for a 5m line-out but kicked it dead! That's 10 points for Scotland so Italy will be very keen to try and get 5 against South Africa which starts in a few minutes. We'll only really know after Japan Vs Samoa tomorrow just who is likely to end up staring at relegation, there's a set of not too likely but not that improbably results which could yet see USA last which would really make a mockery of the lack of promotion/relegation from WXV 1 to 2 (doubly so if Canada ended up last in WXV 1 which I wouldn't expect but certainly isn't impossible).

Kazakhstan 10-0 up against Kenya at half time (15-0 now 54 minutes in), bouncing back from the hammering we gave them. Given Spain didn't annihilate Kenya to anything like the extent we took Kazahkstan apart it suggests we probably don't have to fear Spain too much (though Spain will obviously be highly motivated and focused on the game with us) and it's a points difference race with Fiji we are in to guarantee a spot in WXV 2 next time, which is bad news for Colombia who went down 67-13 to Fiji.

This Italy Vs South Africa game is really physical! 22-10 to Italy at half time but SA are hanging in there better than I'd have expected. I'd be shocked if SA can keep it going for 80 minutes though or if Italy fail to wrap up the bonus point.

Rigoni as always must see tv. Just before half-time she made an absolutely outrageous offload!

Kenya fought back against Kazakhstan and ended the game with a spell around the 5m line chasing the win but gave away a penalty in the end to let the Kazakh's kick it off and secure the win 18-12.

36-18 in the end for Italy who ended up against 13 with a red card making it 14 and then injuries to hookers meaning uncontested scrums losing a player.

I detest the bloody start times as of course I got so wrapped up in that game I forgot about Fiji Vs Spain where Spain were actually 14-12 up at half time! Pretty sure that's 2 tries each so not perfect for us but I'll certainly take it over a massacre by Fiji we could have to match (depending on what Fiji can do to Kazakhstan).

And Spain score again on 56 minutes to make it 21-12! Is this all setting up for a poetic final WXV 3 game between Ireland and Spain to decide if last in the 6N or best of the rest or Europe get a spot in WXV 2 next time? Can't lie, it would be poetic justice for the Spanish women if they did it and of course we would get another shot at WXV 2 in the 6N where if we then finished last again we could hardly complain.

• Advertisement

Madness, both teams down to 14 to finish with Fiji looking more lively. Spain score a try but just miss the conversion. Fiji score with about 3 minutes to go and get the conversion to make it 26-19 with about 90 seconds to go at the kick off! And with 30 seconds to go as Fiji seem like they are on the charge nearly to the 22 the ball pops up out of a tackle from an overly brave offload attempt into Spanish hands! Then on the buzzer Fiji turn it back over after it bounces off legs in a ruck and Fiji throw a 20m pass wide quick where they had numbers but the pass doesn't quite go to hand (player does well not to try and stretch to take it on the half-volley), rolls and the wing coming in knocks it on trying to pick it up so it finishes 26-19.

Bar an Irish shocking disaster against Colombia that sets up that Spain Vs Ireland game 2pm next Saturday to close WXV 3 as winner takes all!

A fun day! Bring on tomorrow with Canada Vs Wales (4am), New Zealand Vs France (7am), Japan Vs Samoa (3pm) and Ireland Vs Colombia (2pm). The pair of WXV 1 games and the WXV 2 game will probably all be good contests with New Zealand Vs France the obvious highlight and game of the weekend.

Someone pay the Canadian women already, they are just such a joy to watch! Feels obvious they will start to fall behind but for now their class, style, ethos and who knows what seems to have them hanging in there in a way the USA don't seem to be able to.

I hope that isn't the kiss of death from me and the Welsh don't start to grind them down but given Canada just managed to send the Welsh scrum backwards to have them scrambling to get the ball out I have faith! 7-7 21 minutes in as the Welsh full back makes a great try saving tackle, Canadian winger Symonds probably should have popped the ball inside to Apps though, probably too shocked Apps had somehow managed to keep/catch up in support!

Welsh lineout seems to be their best weapon so far, was a sneaky 1-2 at the front which got them their try and they've won a few penalties from it.

A Welsh intercept for a fairly easy run in to close the half keeps things close at half time 21-17 to Canada. A bit of a live by the sword, die by the sword moment for the expansive Canadians. NZ supporters starting to gather to improve the crowd but stadium very empty really sadly. It was always a little interesting going straight back to NZ so soon after the world cup!

2 minutes into the second half Canada were in again and it looks a terrible call to bring it back calling the last long pass a forward pass (seem clearly back out of the hands and just slightly forward with momentum and wind). And then Canada mush the resulting Welsh scrum to win a penalty in front of the posts they stick in the corner! Wales giving away multiple offside penalties from the resulting phases but no card (yet) and this time Canada go with the scrum. Think the Welsh were lucky not to get penalised again then but looks like they've got away with it and a nasty accidental head clash as Apps and a welsh lock dive to claim a loose ball. TBF from the drop out Canda might have got away with a knock on but then more slick handling and Wales are blessed to give away a 5m lineout or scrum option instead of another try as the final pass hits the last covering player and goes forward into touch (I thought it was a header) who had no idea. No shock Canada finally after 10 minutes of the half get in for another try, this time under the posts (28-17).

Did I say Canada are just such a joy to watch! I'm still smarting they didn't manage to get over the line against England in the WC semi, could so easily have been a Canada Vs France final. Now that was an exciting world cup semi final weekend! And of course we get to see a replay of the France Vs NZ semi in under 2 hours.

Wales really got away with giving away far too many penalties close to their own line without a card. It wasn't quite all Canada in the second half but close enough so at 72 minutes when Wales were up attacking the Canadian line it was already 35-17 Canada who then held them up over the line. I really thought Wales might be able to grind them down up front but if anything it was the Canadian scrum which became dominent while the line-outs proved a fairly even contest (or advantage whoever was throwing in). Wales did crash over near the corner (missing the conversion) a few phases after the drop out but that still left them 13 behind with under 5 minutes to go and a charge down nearly had Canada straight back in but more smart hands and good running had Canada back 5m from the line and another Welsh offside penalty so zero chance of a comeback and any kind of bonus point for Wales looks extremely doubtful. Canada use the scrum again from the penalty and simple 8 move to the blindside and good hands puts the winger in the corner for another Canadian try and De Goede (the 8) even slots the conversion!

Canadians knock on the restart to give Wales a scrum 35m out at the hooter for one last chance at a try bonus but Canada take it against the head and close it out 42-22! Honestly that scoreline feels very generous to Wales. Canada Vs England when it counts in the other SF replay next weekend is going to be fun!

After feeling a tinge of sadness thinking France Vs NZ would be without Bordon and/or Sansus I go and look at the team and see the 22 shirt is going to be worn by Pauline Bordon Sansus <3 She's un-retired from her world cup career ending injury it seems and now I'm so happy for her! I hope the crowd give her a massive reception.

Sadly most of the ground is still empty as the anthems are sung for the NZ Vs France game. There is a decent little bit of a crowd packed in on one side for the cameras, kinda disappointing as I guess 3/4 of the ground is completely empty. Makes the decision to send this straight back to NZ so soon after the world cup look a bit questionable but again with the scheduling who knows who was willing to take it.

Fun, high octane start and even a little niggle! France's scramble defence holding NZ out a couple of times either side of swiping an intercept try before NZ finally power over and then from a mid-field French scrum a short side move sets Banet loose down the wing and she manges to fend step the last tackler and just outpace the final attempt to cover to make it 7-12 after 18 minutes. NZ trying to pound away in contrast to the width they loved to put on it in the world cup, French defence is strong, they've had a good few poaches already and forced a lot of handling errors (and Davidsons interpretation of backwards has let them away with a few more). NZ dominating the possession and territory (10-48 tackles after maybe 22 minutes) but not converting it into many points yet.

7-1 handling errors at half time is really the story of the half (15-7 to France the score). Both teams will think they could have scored a few more but not just because of the 15-7 lead I think France will overall be happier with how they are playing. It really reminds me how far out of the run of play it felt for NZ to manage to win the WC. France have made nearly double the tackles so maybe they will feel it later and NZ can exploit it (Tui looking the most likely).

Chambon (French 9) has been exceptional! Not sure if she's only had one poach but she's frequently been in making a nuisance of herself and looking like she could have one forcing NZ bodies to commit to rucks. The rest of her game has also been great. Could she pull the move Sansus did to Bordon and keep Sansus from getting the 9 shirt back? How do they keep producing them!

France out first and expending energy and a real warm up so coach isn't too fearful of them running out of steam! Here we go again!

NZ scrum turned dominant early in the second half thanks to the subs but with a bit under 20 to go one of the sub props runs into a ruck at the side upright for a head clash to get a red. Amazingly both teams had just taken 3 points until with about 10 minutes to go Tui dancing around knocks through a little grubber to get NZ a try with a great conversion making it 17-18. France being blown out of their own scrums by 7 means despite handling errors continuing by NZ there's no comfort for France even if they managed to play the end of the game in the NZ half. And finally with 15 seconds to go the French 8 get the upper hand against the 7 in the final scrum, one recycle and they kick it off to get a little revenge for the World Cup semi loss!

Wildly entertaining game, but could you expect anything else?

Amused me greatly to see the graphics come up saying Bordon, I know I'll always have to call her Sansus. Sadly she came on at the same time as a couple of NZ subs so commentators didn't even notice straight away and certainly no reception from the crowd.

Now maybe I can nap before Ireland Vs Colombia and Japan Vs Samoa (battle to try and stay out of the relegation spot) close out the first full weekend of WXV. If only it was a full round robin and given it's own place outside the shadow of the men's world cup (and then also could presumably avoid the Friday daytimes and overlapping games) because it's serving up great entertainment.

• Advertisement

No surprise, 21 minutes in and BP in the bag and another try 4 minutes later, so unless we somehow blow this from here even a draw with Spain will see us top and certain to be in WXV 2 next time round (and if I remember right that means world cup spot secure). Of course a loss to Spain would leave us needing to not finish last in the 6N.

Advertisement