Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Zappi charge points

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Are the Zappi and Eddi paired together? You can check connected devices on both and you should be able to see the other one

They should all appear in your app as well in the same household

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭eltoastero

the MyEnergi support team are excellent too and can diagnose a lot of issues once you've the serial number and the devices connected to the internet.

As mentioned above, you should check they are connected, that both zappi and eddi are on the same Radio Frequency (RF) Channel. I had to change the channels on my Zappi/Harvi/Eddi to avoid interference from a neighbours setup (I would lose connection to my Eddi but then see theirs, the power movements were also messed up)

One should be setup as the Master device (I think the master connects to the internet) the other connects to the master to access the internet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Both have to be on the latest firmware, it’s a known issue so installer should have updated the firmware on the EDDI, both are 5.x if memory serves me correctly

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Just checking if anyone has experienced something similar. I had Solar Panels and an Eddi (connected to a Harvi) installed about three months ago, and added a Zappi yesterday. The installer did a great job installing the Zappi, but had no knowledge about apps or adding the Zappi to the myEnergi system.

I did a bit of research online and paired the Zappi to the Eddi, using the Zappi as the slave. Both systems can see each other, and the Zappi appeared on the app. Happy days!

We waited until the sun came out today to charge the car using the Zappi and the energy from the panels. The Zappi is manually set to Eco mode. The screenshot from myenergi shows the amount coming from the grid (which seems very high - but maybe this is normal for an EV charger?), and I assume the distribution is being incorrectly applied to the house instead of the Zappi charger. When I try to view the details on the Zappi from the app, I'm met with a continous loading screen.

Is there a balance setting I haven't applied yet? Boost shouldn't be on, unless it was pressed by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Your house is using 12kW, which seems very high. There is a yellow info icon beside it so something isn’t right on your setup.

For what it’s worth, I leave mine on Eco+ and set the solar to 100% so it will only use excess solar.

• Advertisement

The yellow warning box could mean the data is out of date, sometimes checking the Zappi screen gives a better reading of what's happening

Also double check against your inverter that the consumption is correct

I'd check the CT config is correct, it kind of looks like the house is using more electricity than expected

I'm also using Eco+ mode as that minimises the import from the grid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭championc

And when you fix the yellow triangles, update ALL of the devices firmwares, starting with the Master

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I have a zappi v1 with a tethered type 1 connector, I need to change it to a type 2.

What are my options or is there a reliable neat adapter I can use?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭championc

Possibly best to just buy a type-2 cable and re-wire it in

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JPW1979

Apologies if already asked but who is providing the best deal for tethered Zappi at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CivilEx

I went with carcharger . ie for my tethered Zappi installation which is scheduled later this week. They send you a link to allow you upload photos of your installation location, proof of earth rod green box, proposed cable route and your fuse board etc. Your price will vary depending on the complexity of the electrical installation, so in order to get the best deal, you might need to get a quote from more than one Company?

Make sure you have your SEAI grant approval before starting any work.

Isn't MyEnergi doing a significant discount for Zappi v1 users to trade up to a v2?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Only in certain circumstances. You need to have multiple myEnergi products (usually an Eddi) where the firmware upgrade causes a problem. If you only have a Zappi v1 (and a hub), they dont offer the discount... I tried!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Why earth rod, this is a UK requirement only, not required here AFAIK

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CivilEx

They asked for a picture of it (green box in footpath). It must be a part of preparing the quote, although I think the Zappi is one of the few chargers that doesn't need an earth. It could be that they use a common platform for gathering quotes with multiple charger types

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Most homes in Ireland use the Tncs system of earthing, they must have an earth rod, it has nothing at all to do with the charge point. It's merely a box (one of many) that an electrician must tick prior to carrying out restricted electrical works.

In the Uk under certain conditions, some chargepoints (those without PEN fault protection) required an earth rod to be installed.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Nonsense - an Earth electrode is required at every installation within the State.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

I dare say every installation does have one. Being able to find it is another story!

Mine (1980'S house) was just buried under the tarmac on the driveway. No fancy green box.. only found it because we were digging it up for another reason.

Don't worry, it's replaced properly now and accessable etc.

The whole earth rod thing is that the UK generally don't have earth rods, and putting an earth rod on an evse and putting it on a TT system was an option instead of pen fault detection etc. Open to correction here but I don't think Ireland has that requirement.

PEN fault disconnection isn't permitted within the State due to switching of protective conductor.

It's a BS 7671 only derogation from IEC rules.

Unfortunately not all installations have an Earth electrode, though all must.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ah I understand, because all Installations must have an earth rod, if the grid earth fails there is still a local one. There is redundant protection.

• Advertisement

Essentially it provides an Earth reference to the DSO's PEN conductor to help mitigate against dangerous voltages arising on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

A little off topic.

Was at a community event last event where the local fire officer was giving advice on all fire related issues.

Advice on EVs was to have them as far away from the house as possible when plugged in.

The scary, scary piece was the number of battery fires from cheap elec scooters stored in hallways/under the stairs, blocking the escape routes, especially in house with older windows that don't meet current regs for escape routes.

They don't all lead to a full fire but its an increasing problem.

Then on PV panels, they now bring the ESB in if they have a fire in a house with PV and especially battery storage, as cutting the power at the pole or meter box no longer ensures that the house is not energised.

Sleep well!

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Does ESBN's responsibly not end at the cut out fuse and meter? Do they act as electricians of last resort for other state agencies?

It appears to be the latter based on what was said.

The batteries are an issue at night, plus panels during the day.

There have also been fires in the panels due to faulty wirings.

developing their skills to deal with fires from the proliferation of batteries is ongoing

On my installation there's additional labelling on the meter box to alert firefighters to the solar panels and battery

Solar panels are required to be isolated in the event of a grid failure by using a fireman switch

The backup power supply either needs to be small (often a single socket which is labelled as always live) or requires a labelled switch within 2 metres of the front door or meter box

Did they also advise to park petrol cars away from the house due to the much greater fire risk?

I agree to some extent with the e scooters, there's been a flood of low quality chargers and batteries recently which could lead to fires.

I don't believe it's the batteries themselves at fault, more the general risk of an electrical fire

If I read the manual for a particular E-bike brand, it states very clearly the battery should only be charged during the day, in a room with working smoke alarms and not in a bedroom. It should also not be plugged in for more than 12 hours and not stored on the bike

People need to learn to read the manual before using these products

TAR, Good to see your still above ground😀

re

Did they also advise to park petrol cars away from the house due to the much greater fire risk?

The issue is the difficulty they have with battery fires, where containment rather than extinguishment is the current approach so if the EV is arse to wall/window tough to contain.

They are still learning, he made no bones about that.

He very clearly made the case that not all installs are meeting these regs

If I read the manual for a particular E-bike brand, it states very clearly the battery should only be charged during the day, in a room with working smoke alarms and not in a bedroom. It should also not be plugged in for more than 12 hours and not stored on the bike

Agreed, good advice : I have one and the battery does not come out

People need to learn to read the manual before using these products

Good advice for a first date also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭newbie2012!

Thanks for the responses. Had installer back out but issues still remain.

set up for eco++ and boost overnight but it’s only increasing charge by 10% overnight. Not much good if I need to go on a long journey!

Might give the company a call altogether.

thanks again

So how long did you boost for, and what power was the Zappi boosting at?

If it's only configured for 1 hour or charging at 1.4kW then it'll only add a small amount of charge

What's the grid limit configured to on the Zappi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭newbie2012!

It’s set up for Echo +. Installer said it is set up to charge for 8 hrs from 11pm.

car is set to charge to 80%

How can I check the settings you mentioned, and what should they be? I’ve looked through the manual and at a loss!

thanks

Advertisement