Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭alentejo

This is growing proof that Bus solutions for large areas of Dublin are inadequate and the need to move towards a mass transit solution. Not easy I know, but Greater Dublin Transport Strategy seems far to cautious on the longer term needs for Dublin.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No, it is proof that we need proper enforcement, that we need the Gardai to do their job.

And if they won't do their job, then create a "City Police" to do it that many countries have.

We of course should also be doing Metro, etc., but even then we will continue to have lots of buses, bikes, pedestrians etc. We can't just give up our city streets to cars. It simply doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

The level of cancellations on Cspine and L54, L51, L59 over the past two days is phenomenal - perhaps drivers are all on holidays as suggested here a few posts ago.

The latest from DB is to send the next bus early after a cancellation. "Timetable shifted" they're calling it on twitter. Result is two lots of unhappy passengers - those who wanted the cancelled service and are left waiting and running late, and then those who missed the unexpectedly early follow-up service.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Well to be fair, if a bus is missing on a relatively high frequency route, moving the next bus forward is the sensible option - otherwise the bus after the one that’s missing gets overloaded and you end up with bunching as the next bus catches up.

That’s always been the normal practice in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

This is on every 30 minute routes - those listed in my previous post. First I've ever heard of it. It is causing chaos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭john boye

Surely we're at the point where the NTA must start looking at ordering new tri-axles. I know options are limited in EV tri-axles but if the driver shortage is going to continue they'll have to look at increasing capacity at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Yeah, there was twice this week I was waiting over an hour (an hour fifteen one day and just over an hour and a half another day) to get on a bus to Leixlip from Heuston station at rush hour, as buses were either delayed or cancelled and then completely full by the time they reached Heuston. Delays are really common during term time, the first x25 invariably reached Heuston anywhere between 15 and 35 minutes late in Autumn/Winter while arriving up to ten minutes early in Summer. It's a nightmare trying to figure out what time to try to leave work and a 30 min wait is standard now due to delays/cancellation. I'm lucky I don't yet have children, but when I do I will have to drive as the transport system is so unreliable there is no guarantee I will be able to make pick ups from school/childcare. Even if all buses are running they are poorly timetabled with big gaps even at rush hour so if you happen to just miss a bus the next one is 20-30 mins minimum (more if the next bus is delayed) which is miserable when you just want to get home from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BusGuy

Hi. Isn't phase 5 going ahead on Sep. 24, 2023?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭lateconnection

Originally yes it was due to launch on the 24th, driver shortages now seem to have delayed it again. Very hard to say now when it's going to happen, I wouldn't be surprised if it's after Christmas now.

Originally it was actually supposed to be September 2022.

Then November 2022, December 2022, June 2023 and then September 2023.

Until the driver shortage is resolved it won’t happen, as this is a major expansion phase with DB alone requiring 50+ additional drivers on top of current requirements.

Hence I don’t see any point in focussing on dates until an actual public announcement of a launch is made by the NTA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BusGuy

We can pretty much say that Phase 5 was the longest phase to release.

Frankly that's irrelevant.

What is relevant is the bus companies' ability to address the problem of recruiting and retaining sufficient staff to operate all of the existing and planned services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Hi Guys, someone might be able to clarify better here but am I right in saying that the current 13 bus (clondalkin to ballymun) will change to the D(x) and no longer go to DCU? Does anyone have an idea of when this is expected to change? A local Councillor seemed to do a recent leaflet drop saying the service would end this weekend but I can't find anything online about it, going forward what bus needs to be used to get from clondalkin to dcu?

No one can tell when any further changes will happen as it’s entirely dependent on the driver shortage being resolved. It’s a “how long is a piece of string” question.

The project is being implemented in phases so the answer to your question will be different depending on what phases have been completed.

Ultimately when the network is complete, someone in Clondalkin would get a D Spine route to O’Connell Bridge and then an E Spine route or the A3, from there to DCU.

Changes to the 13 won’t happen until sometime next year at the earliest.

The final revised network map is here, but again this is being implemented in phases so it’s going to be a moving feast until it’s finished:

https://busconnects.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/big-picture-map-170920-oe-web.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

It will not change this weekend anyway and it's not even the next spine to change, F and E will come before that. We're probably a year away from D spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

Is there any update on when the new S orbitals were due to come? I thought it was around now?

Can I suggest that you read the posts directly above your own?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

Apologies, I'm blind. Seems like a massive faux pas not to opt for trams for some of these spines, or at the very least articulated buses. I'm not sure if we'll ever have enough drivers to meet capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

We can definitely have more driver if we had the toilets at the end of the routes with some rest areas indoors for the biggest termini. And better roster scheduling practise so the drivers could plan a month ahead with more spare drivers to cover any unplanned sick leave or late show ups. If we also had a strict bus lane enforcement, we could speed up the buses possibly reducing a percent of late or no show services. The issue isn't being actively resolved. E.g., we should have hired more driving instructors and have more space for training classes. We possibly need extra garages to store more buses too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Driverless Trams could have been an option, although I am not sure the Luas has the same issues recruiting drivers vs the bus companies anyway?

Either way, trams are more reliable than the buses as they share such a small amount of their transit route with other vehicles.

But ultimatlely, its an underground system that we need.

Buses are the worst of all worlds for many reasons.

We will never get all the cars off the roads and therefore buses will never be quick enough, nor are they convenient for many.

They are unreliable & understaffed and if we are honest, these things wont change for years. If ever.

Kudos to those that use them but there will never be a large scale adoption. And a lot of folks that use buses are students who cant afford a car or old people who have a free pass.

I cant think of any senior or middle managers that I know personally that use a bus. Anecdotal, sure.

But I am sure others would have the same experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A system (not half a line, as currently proposed) of driverless metros would do us grand, but we live in a country where the likes of Healy-Raes who hate cities in general and Dublin in particular hold sway over our parliament.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Luas should run late at night, or 24h if possible. It's not as if the drivers have to interact with the punters...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Maintenance is the reasoning being given as to why Luas doesn't run past 1am.

There's a 4hr maintenance window until trams start to move at 5am again

Most of the extra drivers are needed for the new orbital routes which are the principal feature of the expanded bus network - the requirement for additional drivers for the Spines is down mainly to the extended operating hours.

I think they could run trams through the night if they really wanted to. Have a maintenance window at 7am on a Sunday morning or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Can you give us some basic information as to who was the local councillor, or political party, who were sending these leaflets with the incorrect information about the 13 being dropped from the Dublin Bus network?

I am a bit confused as to how they got that incorrect information relayed to them while they, in turn, released it to their own constituents who live along the route. It sounds very stupid for politicians to do that now IMO especially when the local elections are coming up next year. I could also make the point that the relaying of that information probably sparked a lot of misplaced anger from some local residents who live on that route while it was not meant to happen at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Surely they could at least run late friday and sat night though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

When the E is launched won't the 13 run from southside to City Center, then you'd transfer to an E to get to DCU? That could be February to June next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

I haven't seen the recent leaflet, but here's one from a few weeks back. Apparently the northern part of routes 11 and 13 will be chopped before the D Spine is launched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I can't even see that happening right now, Dublin Bus is failing to deliver a usable service on its core routes at the moment, the notion of expansion at the moment is farfetched.

Advertisement