Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bluedex

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

SF has plenty of policies, and will likely get a chance to exercise them after the next GE.

I don't think being a "Hurler on the Ditch" counts as a policy

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭Timing belt

There’s a big difference between a policy and a 30 second media clip or sound bite.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭hometruths

How many people are in emergency accommodation?

About 13k at last count which excludes

-the 23k of international refugees

-people coach surfing etc.

So in total you are talking about 35-40k people where the majority will be single individuals. That number would mushroom if social housing was easily available and wasn’t elsewhere in Europe.

Just to be clear this isn’t a post on immigration it just pointing out that any capacity created by building more social housing is unlikely to free up private rental accommodation unless the overall number of properties being built increases. Yes we badly need more social housing but this is needed in addition to what is already being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

If the slowdown in commercial helps develop residentital projects that will benefit the current govt also.

Not just SF.

The help to biy schemes are to enable people to purchase homes! I dont really see how this can be viewed as a negative.

Landlords absolutley need incentivising to stay in the market!

If they leave the market, who is going to provide homes to rent? And then you would probably wonder why the homeless figures went up!

I agree the planning system needs to be overhauled and better resourced.

Thats something the govt should have done years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Its pushing the prices up think if they were not there houses would have to drop to a level that people could afford the price and the proof from the UK show these schemes push up prices, now imagine using that money to buy modular homes and take our poor and refugees out of the equation for the rest of the property market. When help to buy came in prices jumped by roughly the amount on offer. Why do landlords need incentivizing ?? They have 2 properties if its not working sell one and they still have one and let someone buy it from them.. Someone from our population still gets to live in it regardless of if they have bought it and It should not be up to private landlords to provide housing for people. So in real terms yes someone loses a rental but someone can buy it so its a zero sum game.

• Advertisement

Majority of these are single individuals which presumably means we cannot rely on the old 2.75 average household size - i.e these people need their own private accommodation? i.e we can't conclude we need 5000 units to house the 13k in emergency accommodation?

And if we were somehow, say by spending 4bn per annum more efficiently, build enough social housing so there was no shortage based on current numbers we still wouldn't have enough because it would just attract more people who needed social housing?

It's amazing the logic people use to justify the idea we are facing a problem that there is no solution to.

And conclude that we are just better off pissing 4bn down the drain every year to make the situation worse.

we all know your belief that we have to much housing and I’m not going near that and giving you the platform your looking for.

Yet again you put words in my mouth in an effort to get your platform. You have your own active thread for that.

nowhere did i say there were no solutions or justification in spending 4bn in the manor we currently do. I am just pointing out that building the same no of properties and just increasing social housing and reducing private builds is only moving the existing issues from one cohort to another and doesn’t solve the issue.

My post was nothing to do with my belief about the current numbers of housing. It was about the manner in which 4bn is spent annually.

The way it is spent at the minute is compounding the problems of affordability. It is a vicious circle.

The idea that spending it on directly building social housing rather than spending on subsidies in the private market would not at least alleviate the problem is ridiculous.

Apologies if you feel I put words in your mouth, but you did make the point that:

So in total you are talking about 35-40k people where the majority will be single individuals. That number would mushroom if social housing was easily available and wasn’t elsewhere in Europe.

My post was actually asking you to clarify this, hence the question marks. Sorry if it was phrased badly.

Can you explain what you meant by pointing out the majority of these people might be single? And this apparent negative consequence of social housing being easily available?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭Villa05

If the slowdown in commercial helps develop residentital projects that will benefit the current govt also

I think the slowdown in commercial will spread to residential. These rate hikes will cool the jets of the investment funds

Need projects ready to go if this occurs.

Yet again where did I say this

“The idea that spending it on directly building social housing rather than spending on subsidies in the private market would not at least alleviate the problem is ridiculous.”

This is what I mean by putting words in my mouth. I stated my point that not building more and just changing the mix of social v private is just moving the pain point. Simple as….so you can stop your fishing exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

It is also putting (or should be) the kybosh on demand but watch for 2nd hand properties getting gov schemes chucked at them and the existing ones having more cash 40k FTBs and the likes and if that don't work I reckon they will up the lending limits again.

What you've quoted is me stating my opinion, not me putting words inbuilt mouth.

In the previous post I misunderstood the significance of your point:

and simply asked you to clarify. But it's no big deal.

There are 10’s of thousands units with planning permission approved and not started because even at existing prices it’s not economically viable till prices increase by 15-25%. I know it’s crazy and a disgrace that they will not be built for at least 5-10 years (if ever). The only way to counteract this is a use it or loose it policy with planning revoked and land rezoned to agriculture etc for the underlying beneficial owners.

This stops them setting up new company to get around it and leaves them with two options sell land at a discount to someone that builds or build at reduced profit margin before planning is revoked and value of land plummets.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭Villa05

Already happening, 2 colleagues who got notice to quit are having there apts purchased by the council and rented back to them

A third missed out as income was slightly over the limit. The cost for this person is massive. Think carefully before doing that overtime

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Stoned_Rosie

I've been reading some posts in the Irish personal finance subreddit over on Reddit.

Interesting some of the comments around people bidding for houses.

One thread today was a person who was the highest bidder at 5k under asking. Then someone comes along a week later with a bid 50k higher. The upvoted post with others in agreement said the new bidder is probably sick of being outbid and just wants it done.

If this is the case that people are just throwing as much money as they can no matter what they think the house is worth, I think it's going to end badly.

• Advertisement

What happened there is the second bidder offered exactly what they thought the house was worth, and likely did a "take it or leave it" offer.

One of my friends did the same. House ad went on Daft on a Monday, he viewed on Tuesday, made an offer well above asking and went sale agreed same day. Ad was taken down on Wednesday.

Job done, no one else got a look in.

Modular homes wont get planning permission at scale. They wont be built in large towns and cities, where homes are needed. Because they wont get planning permission.

A landlord doesnt need to sell their property. They can hold it. Its not a zero sum game.

And every home a landlord removes from the rental market is one less home available to a growing population.

The repercussion is increased homelessness.

We need Landlords to stay in the market, especially when the govt buids f**k all social homes themselves.

There is effectivley no supply of rental property other than what is delivered by the private landlord.

If the govt actually built their own properties we could get tough on landlords.

But they don't. So we can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Actually there are examples of AHBs delivering modular to scale, but I assume you are referring to private build.

Only a matter of time. Modular has been quite late to break into Ireland, purely my own suspicion, but I always felt the CIF was up to very recently dominated by sector interests who were keen to support traditional wet trades. However, that looks to be changing.

Would be interested to see if anyone who currently works in construction agrees with that, or have I got it wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Asking prices are often guide price. I find given how long Ive been looking I can tell fairly easily now if something is priced low to get bidders in. I still personally would not do 50k jump bid as its not in me but I have been bidding on plenty of houses where I wish I had given where price ended up. Also if it is a house with lots of bidders it is likely a good few will pay what its worth but to decide who gets it means someone usually has to pay that bit more. Look at recent stats on volume and value of first time buyer mortgages...way up over last year despite rate rises. All chasing little supply and running away from high rents. Prices remain strong as result with exception of doer uppers maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

Supply still going no where fast... From anecdotal observation on Daft, asking prices in Dublin at least don't seem to be changing much, though I suspect a lot of places, houses at least, are going well over asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Modular is not cost competitive in this country - unless its timber framed modular which do not last in this climate.

The maintenance costs will increase and increase over time - but thats a problem for 40 years from now so nobody cares

Do you know if the 2 whose apartments were purchased by the council already receiving HAP or some other housing support?

Indeed.

Another headwind that the resi sector faces.

Some people continie to believe thst SF will just magically move through the gears and enable construction of 60k+ homes from year 1 onwards.

It isnt going to happen and how sorry the youth will be when they realise they have gained no extra homes and have lost good job opportunities at home to boot.

As SF go after the multinationals and highearners with increased taxation and the targeted groups just move country.

Net result is fewer homes and fewer good employment prospects for everyone, including the 20 somethings.

Dd you have any examples where modular homes have been built at scale witin Dublin or other high price areas?

• Advertisement

Do you have any examples where modular homes have been built at scale in Dublin or other high price areas?

Advertisement