Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times website no longer allowing comments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I said Ireland Neutrality is lip service for the most part. With examples.

Media is not neutral. You'd be naive to think otherwise.

Lack of interest in outliers is not seen as a threat. It's just not interesting to the majority of the audience and deliberately causes problems that require a disproportionately level of resources to manage.

At the time it was being invaded. At war is a bit of misnomer.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

@growleaves This is not the Conspiracy Theories forum. Don't post on this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,209 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Independent thinkers? Most of the people who describe themselves as independent thinkers are just regurgitating stuff they read on right-wing media.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You say that people should be allowed to express their opinion, then complain when people express opinions you don't agree with.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 DrivingMrDaisy

Interesting, i would have thought it was the exact opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,209 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'll bite, what's a join date got to do with this discussion?

Seems like anyone who questions anything these days is "far right".

It's just an easy out for people i guess.

• Advertisement

It's easy to shut people down than discuss the issue I assume.

Seems to be the way of things everywhere. The funny thing is the suppression of speech will actually lead to the rise of the far right long term as those headcases form their own echo chambers where they can't be questioned or reasoned with. Actually come to think of it that process has already begun. The failure of man/woman to learn from past mistakes never ceases to astound me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Those who claim to be "free thinkers" tend to be the most blinkered cos whatever political affiliation they may have, their rationale tends to be a contrarian attitude towards rejecting consensus (or as was seen during CoVid, basic science). So called "free thinkers" tend not to like the end result so work backwards to fit their starting bias. jumping hoops or moving goalposts to fit their worldview,boften indulging in outright conspiracy - which is hardly free thinking. Anything but

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Excellent description!

Bringing it back to the Irish Times comments section - I found that, although those people are a small minority, they were grossly over-represented in those comments - which is why I don't mourn for their demise.

Actually your description reminds me of a similar one in a book I read recently. This was by the founder of the OSINT organisation Belingcat when describing what he called the Counterfactual Community:

Selectively ignoring facts so what's left fits the narrative in their head.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is this thread another Brexit one?

Oh, sorry, that description sounds so like the Brexiteers, who had too much of experts. Just goes to show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 irishmexican43

I am relatively new to the Irish Times. I am Irish born but have lived most of my life outside my country to which I am still attached. I came to the Irish Times looking for serious reading. But I have been taken aback by the fact that I cannot comment. Most publications I have frequented allow comments. Many of the postings here agree with this form of censorship, saying that your Irish man on the street is an ignoramus that must be controlled.

Having lived for extended periods in Spain, Italy, USA, and Mexico, I do not agree with some of the stuff published by this paper, and feel I am being controlled by the editors or whoever.

The Irish Times writers are like a privileged class that cannot be questioned. I would even go as far as to say they "pontificate" and there is no forum to question them or to disagree -despite the fact they are just as opinionated as any Tom, Dick, and Harry.

The line of The Irish Times is to constantly criticize and rail against the Catholic Church for being such an authoritarian institution for so long. But isn't being authoritarian too?

I am disappointed. Must I seek freedom of expression and A WAY TO PARTICIPATE somewhere else? Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

How are you being 'controlled' by the Irish Times?

Do they force you to buy their paper?

Do they compel you to read their articles?

Do they prevent you from forming your own opinions?

And how would the provision of a comments section address these issues?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

My suggestion is to just stop reading it if it bothers you that much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I do not agree with some of the stuff published by this paper, and feel I am being controlled by the editors or whoever.

Then don't read it, nobody's controlling you. You're a private citizen who can choose what papers you read, whatever the editorial strategy exists. The Irish Times is not obliged to give you a digital comments section - while the Letters to the Editor still exists. There seems to be some sense that papers are obligated to give its readers an outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Caquas

The problem is worse - the IT shut down a fully functioning comment facility and made a false promise to provide a new system.

As you can see there are posters here who think the IT is above criticism because you don’t have to read it. And, truth be told, the level of comments previously on the IT wasn’t much higher.

But I don’t believe that was why the IT ditched the system. My guess is some of their most prominent columnists didn’t like it when the online comments undercut their argument.

And some posters here have re-defined censorship to mean only “censorship by the State or Church” because they can’t face the reality that, in shutting down their comments section, the IT was behaving much like the Catholic Church of old. Except for the burning at the stake part. That’s only metaphorically now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The IT does allow comments.

Readers write to the Editor, and the Editor picks those that are to be printed. Unfortunately, the decision to print is not up for discussion.

I shall sharpen my quill and dispatch a courier post-haste to D’Olier Street in hopes that my missive may find favour there.

Or I’ll just ignore the nonsense that passes for received wisdom in its pages. Either way, cancelling the online comments is a form of censorship and making a false promise shows the double-standards in the IT.

How about this for hypocrisy layered on self-deception from the Editor.

If a good newspaper is a nation talking to itself, the Opinion section is where much of that talking happens. It is an open, pluralistic space that hosts everyone from public figures

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭yagan

I think believing that the IT closing the comments option is censorship is no different to people believing they own their facebook page.

cancelling the online comments is a form of censorship

You can believe it, but it doesn't make it true either. Private enterprises by definition cannot censor - and I'd wonder is this more about your personal political alignment chaffing against the ITs own, the closing of their comments read as some confirmation bias about echo chambers?

Digital social media has shown itself singularly incapable of sobriety, rationalism or basic common decency, and I'd rather a curated Letters to the Editor than 50 "Dr gubberment!" hysterical keyboard punching any day. You can be sarky about the Letters, but they're there, they exist. It has an email address, lettersed@irish-times.ie, quills not required!

And that's less about politics, before its said otherwise. I don't care for the Comments section be it The Guardian, Telegraph or Newsmaxx's website.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Laughable nonsense

If the Irish Times controlled 90% of schools at taxpayer expense and had daily IT indoctrination classes then you (and I) would have something to complain about. The comparison with the church which, bizarrely in a developed country, still has this control is ridiculous.

It's a newspaper and a website, if you don't like it, don't read it, but it's not censoring you any more than RTE are because you can't ring them up and demand to get on air.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,325 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

As other posters have said the masses are very lead by social media this days and only push the latest bandwagon. The DCC and the Ukraine flags etc. I the Ukraine got invaded in 2014 yet there was no flags then. But last year suddenly it was all the rage. There is no sincerity in the whole thing to me.

But that seems to be the world me live in now people are falling over themselves to care about the 'latest' cause before they move on to something else.

I think it could be argued that the IT getting rid of comments they have more control of the narrative, but there is always the chance something defamatory slips through and the IT have legal action facing them.

Looking at various media outlets many don't have comments on articles Irish Independent, Irish Examiner, Guardian UK. But the Daily Mail UK does still have a comment page, it attracts a certain type and certain narrative that the paper drives. I have come the conclusion that the Daily Mail has taken the decision that a comment page is likely to lead to more clicks, more views, more money. The same with the Journal.ie. It is all about quanity not quality - and clicks

There is one proper solution to the wild west of social media though, the same route facebook has taken. Verified accounts using ID passports etc and real names. But would the Irish Times be bothered with that? They are then into more difficulty with GDPR data storage and so on. Plus isn't the IT supposed to be the 'paper of record' a paper with a certain gravitas and quality? One for the discerning reader? I am sure their subscription model only targets a demographic? So why bother lowering themselves to something as base as a comment section?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Sidebar and Just on the Ukraine point: to be fair, appeasement was the name of the game and the West assumed that simply allowing Putin to have Crimea would satiate his expansionist designs. Feb 2022 kicked a lot of complacency into touch and forced people to suddenly interrogate the fact we had let Russia slowly swallow Ukraine - and the correction towards wholesale Ukrainian support welcome if belated.

• Advertisement

So you don’t believe Twitter or X or any social media platform can censor speech?

Or do words just mean what you want them to mean?

Advertisement