Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Recliner

Anyone any idea how to deal with too much pepper in a dish. Made mushroom soup yesterday and I threw in the remains of a homemade pepper sauce from the day before, which had a potent quantity of pepper in it.

I thought that using it in the soup would mellow down the pepper, but no joy.

It's edible, but it does burn the back of the throat a bit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 503 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

Dilute it and add some potatoes would be a good start. The starch should absorb some of the kick from the pepper.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You allergic to penicillin or something? 🤣

(no I am NOT suggesting you should eat that! Impressive amount of 'fur' though.)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I don't know why people are so fussy - they gobble blue cheese, but as soon as they see a bit of blue bread, no way would they go near it. Talk about double standards!

:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Make pizza regularly.

Read somewhere, a long time ago, about half strong bread flour and half plain flour. I normally use 100% strong bread. However today I did a 50/50 mix and what a difference it made. Less chewy base, as they say. A lot lighter. And it was. Will permanently change to this ratio now.

Simple but a revelation……to me anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've used a 5:1 mixture of strong bread flour to wholemeal rye flour in pizza dough for a while now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Looks like a good idea for Halloween or for kids' parties.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Where is good for steak in Dublin City centre these days?

I've eaten in FXBs and Darwin's in the past. I never had any complaints and would happily go back if the standard hasn't slipped.

I had heard that featherblade is good, but I've never been.

I also heard Hawksmoor being mentioned here recently, but again have never been myself.

Where's good to get a nice bit of steak that's cooked properly (e.g. if you ask for medium rare, it's actually medium rare and not medium!) and a few nice sides and sauces. Bonus points if it's good value for money - I just don't want to feel ripped off if I can get similar food for a cheaper price elsewhere! I've no interest in cooking my own meat on a hot stone or any nonsense like that though :P

Any advice would be great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Friend recommended Elephant and Castle, I've yet to try but I trust his opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Loved Featherblade

Have had great steaks in all of below.

Marco Pierre Whites

Mr S (their chicken and piri piri type sauce is nicer though)

Tomahawk

l'Gueuleton

Fire

FXB

Hawksmoor

Bull & Castle

130 quid for 1 kilo of steak! The fillet (280g) is 42 quid. My ribeye was 40 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Featherblade and Hawksmoor are both great, but very, very different dining experiences. Featherblade is definitely the one to go for if price is a consideration. Hawksmoor do €5 corkage on Mondays, which can take considerable sting out of the final bill, and a very reasonable express menu 6 days a week.

I've never ordered a steak in E&C but I can't say it's a place I'd immediately think of as a potential good option for one.

Post edited by Dial Hard on

You could get 2 x rump steaks, 2 x fries and a bottle of wine in Hawksmoor for 100 quid. Its not as pricey as people are making out. Just don't buy the steaks by weight.

Or the cocktails. (Which are excellent, to be fair.)

Fantastic yep! Fair price no? 12-14 quid. Id a lovely spicy margarita before dinner and a great espresso martini after.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I make Shakey Pete cocktails at home... A great 'modern' beer cocktail to try. The fresh ginger syrup is a bit of a pain but it's worth the effort.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I haven't eaten in the Hawksmoor in Dublin, so I can't comment specifically on it, but I've eaten several times at their London restaurants and have mixed views.

Some of the best dishes they offer are little twists on things, the bone shins with marrow and griddled toast is brilliant, for example. The steaks are a safe bet but high quality steaks just aren't that hard to find anymore, I'm not sure the Hawksmoor has the appeal it did a few years ago when it first appeared in London.

In Dublin, I wouldn't expect them to serve a better sharing steak than you'll find in places like Mister S, which has been doing killer ones for the last several years.

I'm eating in Etto, tonight, and even they have a sharing steak for two, with sides, on the menu at 84 euro, and that's not really their style of cookery. I'd expect their sharing steak to be very well-executed.

Shanahan's is also worth an honourable mention. It can feel a bit fussy and Irish American in a twee way, but I think they've been around long enough now, slinging out high quality steaks and that amazing cheesebread, that you'd have to say they are an institution.

The quality in Shanahan's has dipped appreciably, imo. I would always have said it was worth the splurge if you had a little windfall or whatever but the last two times I was there it was disappointing bordering on poor. Who knows, though, Hawksmoor's arrival may wake them up a bit.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I hadn't realised Hawksmoor do an express menu, that might be worth a try so :)

• Advertisement

€29 for two courses and it's available til 6pm Monday to Saturday. If you went on a Monday and brought your own wine you could have yourself a very nice meal indeed for a great price. Do as they advise and bring a Nebuchadnezzar 🤣

No corkage (on Mondays) on wines bought in The Corkscrew until November 30th.

So we ended up going to Fire in the end for our steak! We had a lovely meal - the 3 course early bird. The steak was pretty good! And it's a lovely building and great service.

However...

Muggins here ordered a chocolate moussey thing for dessert. It was absolutely delicious! But I felt nauseous soon afterwards and ended up puking up my lovely 3 course meal while waiting for the bus. I stupidly assumed mousse was made using cream. I must've only ever had cheap supermarket chocolate mousse made of cream, because when I googled it, sure enough, proper mousse is made with raw egg 🙈 I have a food intolerance to egg (particularly undercooked egg) and my body reacted as if it was ejecting a toxin! I was mortified. People must have assumed I was drunk. I literally hadn't had a drop of alcohol, I just dared to eat dessert 🙄 I'm usually so careful too, but this time I was a fcuking moron 🙈

Post edited by woodchuck on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Oh, no, that's so unfortunate.

Now you know, proper chocolate mousse has egg white, at least!

Yeah I like to learn my lessons the hard way 🙈

We're heading out again this week for our anniversary, so hopefully I'll get to keep my meal down this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

My friend Basil Brush says he hopes next time woodchuck wont... chuck.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Would woodchuck chuck his dinner up? Woodchuck would, would woodchuck!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Maybe there should be an equivalent of a doggy bag for such a situation!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Administrators Posts: 53,506 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone tried the McSpicy burgers from McDonalds yet?

I wouldn't have McDonalds regularly, wouldn't be top of my list of fast food, but the McSpicy is actually decent. Obviously it's the standard McDonald's quality chicken burger, but it's actually properly spicy!

I was expecting the usual slightly-above-bland level of spice you usually get from these places but was pleasantly surprised to find it's genuinely hot enough to feel the heat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

It's like a Zinger burger from KFC. But perhaps not quite as nice.

Advertisement