Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for Paris for Rwc games

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I'm staying in the Novotel Suites at the Expo area in Porte de Versailles and there is a metro stop (and it's line 13) right outside the hotel.. (which helped me decide to book there),

10 metro tickets should do us fine... 3 of us (2 adults & child) into Paris on Saturday morning, back out to the hotel later that afternoon will use 6 tickets, and then 2 tickets up to State de France and 2 back for myself and the little lad going to and from the game..

Flying into Beauvais so planning on taking the airport shuttle into Porte Maillot, and then just a taxi/uber straight to the hotel (will be around 10pm, so not mucking around on metro at that time in a city I haven't been to in 19 years...)

Whats the craic with the Eiffel Tower, I see online tickets are sold out for the day we want to go (Saturday 7th), but I can still turn up and queue up and buy tickets to go right to the top can't I? When I was there before (for the France v Ireland WC qualifier in Oct 2004), we just turned up and there was only a small queue and we made it straight to the top easily enough.... I presume you can still go this (except maybe for longer queues?)? Intention is to get there as early as possible to try and get up and down, and have it chalked off the list..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

what time did you book the train for? I got train tickets from Paris Montparnasse leaving at 9:15 to St Pierre des corps beside tours at 10.12. Will probably just get a taxi from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,911 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So is there consensus yet for what tickets to get to and from Stade De France? Im staying in Latin Quarter for the Scotland game so looking forward to hearing how everyone gets on this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I booked Paris Massy to Saint Pierre des Corps, train departing at 08.12 to arrive at 09.06.

The extra hour sounds tempting, I might buy a ticket on your train!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mr chips 55

We also lived very close to a Line 13 Metro when in Paris for the opening game. Bought two Navigo cards with a ten trip ticket added, and caught the metro 13 there and back to the stadium. Maybe used it 5 or 6 more times travelling around Paris that weekend. Will top it up again next time when back in a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 hibknight

Anyone know which is better to get to the stade de France, is the RER or metro better?

is one closer to the stadium than the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Booked on to this train. Gives me an extra 1 hour 45 mins in bed instead of taking the train from Massy. See you on board 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

I presume the aerobus is the best way to get from BVA to Paris?

https://www.aeroportparisbeauvais.com/en/access-parking/paris-airport-shuttle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭finbarrk

It depends where you are departing from. Either is fine.

Can multiple passengers use the same Navigo card? or would we each need our own one?

Found a fairly good explainer video on Youtube showing the various transport and ticket options, its fairly recent too. And they also recommend the Navigo Easy Pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭tall chapy

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭tall chapy

La Plaine (RER) stop is the best stop for Stade de France IMHO

As I mentioned previously, download the Ile de france Mobilités app (€30) this is the phone equivalent of the navigo card(Ile de france Mobilités issue navigo cards) As mentioned previously, you can buy an actual physical weekly travel card (Navigo Decouverte).We bought one to try out. €30 + €5 for card. Then €8 at adjacent photo booth. The main issue though is that you have to queue at the ticket office to get it all processed. Long queues.

Post edited by tall chapy on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Travelling over with my 9 yr old. When I went to book the Eiffel Tower for Fri 6th, there was 2 evening slots left.

I understand (but cannot confirm) that you can still buy some tickets on the day but queues can be quite long.

There is still tickets for sale on various tour sites such as Viator and the like but obviously you are paying a massive premium.

I'm trying to find something interesting to do with my son on Saturday as we have Paris wishlist covered on the Friday. Not keen on a day trip to Disneyland. The PSG stadium tour seems to be **** enough. Anyone any suggestions?

I was looking again yesterday, and you can actually book the bistro restaurant on the 1st floor of the Eiffel Tower on the Saturday afternoon (which includes a lift ticket to the 1st floor), but at €105 a pop, it's a bit steep!!, and not a lot on the menu for an 8yo...

I think I'm just going to chance arriving and queuing up as early as possible on the Saturday morning, say 10-11am and just slugging it out, as my son is '''''mad'''' into tall buildings/structures, so a trip to the top of the tower is an absolute priority for us!!

When I was there in 2004, it was also October, and there were about 40,000 Irish in town for the game, and on the evening we went to the tower, we were in a lift within about 5 minutes of arriving onsite!, granted there's a World Cup on and there'll be a load of Scotts in town too and we'll be doing it much earlier in the day, but feck it, needs must...

2nd priority would maybe be the Louvre if we get up and down the tower in good time..

My hotel is on the 13 metro line and it says it takes about 43 minutes to get to Stade de France from my local station, so I'm planning on being on a metro no later than about 6:30pm giving me a good ~1hr 45mins to get safely inside the stadium... I'll happily be in our seats an hour before kick off if it avoids any crowd buildups outside..

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Have a Google of "Champions League Final Stade De France 2022" especially about the area around the ground, forewarned is forearmed. Also the crowding issues facing fans at various stadia already at this rugby World Cup including the SdF. I'm not convinced the French know how to do crowd control tbh. I'm sure there are some who will sneer and say "soccer fans", but the people living near the Stade De France, and the police on duty, will be exactly the same now as it was in May 2022. Be aware.

Was at the Aus v Georgia game which was close to if not a sellout at SdF 2 weeks ago and there were no issues I saw beyond what you would normally see when 80k people are entering a small area. There was a very large police presence around the stadium when I got there and until about an hour after, once they pulled out it did feel a bit dodgy but just get out of the area quickly and your fine.

I'm fully aware of the sh1tshow of the 2022 CL final... (being a Liverpool fan)

My brother and his son were at the Australia Georgia game the opening weekend in the Stade and said it was a bit of a sh1tshow... his son is a Scouser and had loads of friends who were at that CL final.. They're also going to the Ireland South Africa game this weekend, and based on his trip over the week before last, he cancelled his hotel for this weekend and re-booked the Ibis thats literally at the Stade de France, so as to avoid such issues again...

This is why I want to get up nice and early, and get inside the security perimeter and stadium gates sooner rather than later. It'll be my sons first game of any description in any stadium, so I'm keen to avoid such sh1tshow if at all possible...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭50HX

Was at the opening match of france v nz

Gates were to open at 6 for a 9pm kick off, 30 min delay in gates opening, v large crowds tight security etc

All that in 30 degree heat & there were no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jorry

I am in same bind as you re: Eiffel Tower, I booked Arc de Triomphe as an alternative. Under 18s free and you get out on roof of building to amazing views of Paris (so website says). Looks underestimated as a structure also ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,884 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

The Arc de Triomphe is really good, I've been up day and night and really enjoyed it. And you can see the Eiffel Tower nicely

If you're staying south of the city then Montparnasse has a great view of the city, and the Eiffel Tower, from the top (the building itself is ugly as sin, but you can't see it when you're up it!)

Edit: just googled Montparnasse (to check my spelling 😋) and it's €21, bit much really

I have many mates who were at that CL Final, and followed it throughout that day online and subsequent reports in the weeks/months followed.

I attended the opening game of this Rugby World Cup (France NZ) and there were zero problems at entry or crowd control, no dodgy people loitering, no youth gangs attacking/mugging people etc. at all. Will return for four more games and I'd be surprised if suddenly there is trouble. Atleast from the metro stop I used there was enough police presence the whole way to the stadium (10 minute or less walk). Zero shady people at fulltime and no bad atmosphere people in the metro or anything at all.

IIRC the only problems at SdF were to do with availability of beer, and the only crowd problems this tournament have been in Marseilles before England Arg, transport problems in Bordeaux before Ire Nam and today before Italy Uruguay, maybe a few others. I do hope they have improved the beer pouring speed this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

What metro station did you use for stade de France? I am trying to work out which is best to use

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭finbarrk

St Denis Porte de Paris. Line 13. The light blue one. Its the best option.

It depends on where your entering stadium, if its North or West yeah its better but South and East then La Plaine - Stade de France makes more sense, they both are about the same walking distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Day trip to Palace of Versailles maybe. About 30km to the West of Paris. Relatively cheap trains. The palace itself is pricey enough, €29 but free for U18s.

For most people it will solely depend on where you are coming from (or where you need to go after the game).

I used the metro 13, despite a few locals recommending the RER options as better on another Paris advice forum, because we lived near a line 13 metro, I was with someone who was going to need to walk slowly and because our seats/gate were exactly on that side of the stadium that the metro station for line 13 is on and it made more sense. There were no problems.

Next time I might try the RER for one of them if it makes more sense with wherever I am in Paris having a beer beforehand, and you arrive at the stadium on the side where there are more prematch displays going on, so I just want to try it to have a different experience. But again I'll stay in an area with access to line 13 so can go home easily with the metro 13.

Just have a play around in Google Maps or CityMapper for what makes most sense for your plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 hibknight

https://www.stadefrance.com/sites/default/files/2022-09/acces_stade_metro-rer_m12_2022.pdf

this is a good map that shows which gate works best for which metro or RER stop, also as others have said it will also depend on where you are coming from a and what makes most sense.

Excellent, thanks for this. I'm going in through Gate X, and my hotel is on the 13 metro line. so looks straight forward enough.

@Mr chips 55 How did you find getting back onto the 13 after the game?

• Advertisement

Another link which has good info is https://www.rugbyworldcup.com/2023/match/pool-b-south-africa-ireland/around-the-match - Just change the pool letter and teams involved to find other match info for other fixtures. Some venues or match pages are more informative than others.

Had no problems getting back onto metro. I think they had some sort of system where they would let a certain number of people through (eg. 50), and then stop for a minute, and then let more people and so on. That metro was every 3 minutes that day so it was all pretty efficient, even with the heat wave.

Advertisement