Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for Paris for Rwc games

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Suspect you won't get a firm update for a while. For what it's worth I think they will try and avoid it but I've also moved my flight to Thursday cause I don't trust them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭50HX

Just checked the weather, holy sh1t it'll be hot there Friday, will scouring the place for a good air con spot for scoops on Thursday

Any recommendations

Staying in the Batignolles-Montmartre area

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Supposed to be Metro strikes in Paris on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭irelandrover

• Advertisement

Fair enough, heard from a local they were talking about tomorrow for the metro. Hopefully not.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Minor impact. 10% of RATP workers on strike

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/paris-ile-de-france/paris/coupe-du-monde-de-rugby-2023-des-agents-de-la-ratp-en-greve-ce-vendredi-2835827.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Anyone know what security is like for entering stade de France?

one of the commentators yesterday talked about people being late for the game because of delays getting through security?

also what are the chances of getting a hip flask in?

Was there Friday night

All bags searched & you are patted down

It's tight enough security

When you buy water or coke etc they will not give you the cap with the bottle

Only one beer on sale & it's muck Asahi

It's a class stadium tho

I like Asahi.

The real question is can you just buy 12 at once cause sod that queueing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Ah yeah I had seen Asahi listed as a main sponsor alright. Quite like it myself so that'll do fine.

What were the queues like a) getting in and B) for a beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

It was the same in Japan, WC was sponsored by Heineken so that was all you could buy. For about 10 mins of the first match in Yokohama they restricted how much you could buy, after that it was a case of fill your boots. Heineken had the guys with the backpacks walking up and down the steps in the stadiums selling bottles, hope it’s the same in France.

Asahi is quite a nice beer, I’ve no problem downing a few during matches.

It was mostly lovely ladies bringing us beer in Japan in my experience 😁

I've seen that before in the SdF in the 6N but nowhere to be seen this weekend I think. It makes a massive difference. I did see one guy selling beers from a backup up in the concourse. Ultimately it was understaffed and poorly prepped.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Don't hang around the Saint Denis District Post game, get back into town asap. Its not a nice area.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Anyone know how much a beer is in the stadiums or the fan zones?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Eight a pop in Marseille.

Stade de france is 9euro a beer, 10 if you don't reuse the plastic glass (it's hardened plastic)

Think you can get 6 at a time, mad lines for the beer& food, I ended up goin to ground level to speed things up& that's with the back pack guys goin around.

It mightnt have been as bad only for the fact that it was so warm everyone was looking for beer or water

Get metro ASAP afterwards as its a dodge area alrite

• Registered Users Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They were delivering in Stade de France last night, though only half those I saw doing it managed to find whoever ordered it successfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

Is there earphones to buy for the ref radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

Was in Stade de France on Saturday an didn't see any ref link type thing for sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

What's the area like for getting out of post match and are there still many places to go once you get back to central Paris or wherever you're staying?

Will be 11 pm local time for all of Ireland matches by time match is over in Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

you can normally tune into frequency. for ref links. dont know what they are for world cup games/venues but that should be possible to find out...

Rugby World Cup: Irish fans may grapple with transport alternatives due to French air traffic control strike 

• Registered Users Posts: 17,655 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Grand if your on Metro and I wouldnt plan on going via any other method after my experience on Saturday. I was on crutches and had to wait till the cops let taxis back in close enough before I could leave as I couldn't do the walk to or from the metro, but the taxis cost an arm and a leg to get back to central paris and take at least 30 mins if not longer.

This is insanely old info as I haven't tried doing this in about a decade....

Ref mics sometimes used 96fm which you could just get on a phone or radio. They also sometimes used a lower band frequency which you couldn't (it was the different between reflink and reftalk or something).

I assume sometihng along the same lines is still done.

Metro metro metro, we were back in monmartre area at midnite & got food no bother & a few beers after that

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭CiboC

Metro or RER. We only had passes for the metro but ended up on the RER anyway, kind of swept along by the crowd. Nobody was checking tickets, just sweeping people up on to the platforms!

Forgot that, no need of tickets, it's all about getting that volume of people out of the area as quickly as possible.

Not a great area anyway to be hanging around

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭tall chapy

As general easy guide to Paris look up 'Les Frenchies' on you tube.

Areas

Like most big cities there is no perfect area

My personal preferences in order are Bastille, Left Bank, Saint-Germain, Le Marais/Palais Royal.

I would not stay north of Sacre Coeur. Saint Denis has a bad reputation but I do not how true this is. To be honest part of trip is the experiencing everything ,so it depends whether you care after 5/6 pints..

To get a nice hotel in a nice area you will do well to pay less than €200. If you manage to get a nice hotel in a nice area for less take it.

Paris is not cheap €9+ a pint . Food is the same price as Dublin.

As the matches are at 9pm, you may get good deals on 'The Fork' app for meals at 6-7pm, again depends on how far you have to travel then to stade the france

Stade de France

The best way to get to Stade de Frace is to get off at La Plaine (RE B). The stop at Stade de France- Saint denis (RER D) is not worth it in my opinion. Get there early to avoid the crap that happened to the Aussies last Saturday.

Metro/trains

1 - Download the metro map

2 - How are you arriving in Paris sort of determines you metro/train ticket selection.

The French are a little quirky. eg: the weekly ticket is Mon-Sun not 7 days from day of purchase, You can buy a weekly ticket for the current week up to Thursday.If you buy it on Friday it will be for the following week. I'm open to correction...In my opinion if you are flying in to CDG Paris and departing on Sunday the best option is to download the Ile de france Mobilités app, register, self photo required and buy a weekly ticket €30. Covers zones 1-5 (CDG is zone 5) CDG to Paris is €11.45 & and the same return. So that is €22.90. It is €2.10 each way to Stade de France. Now €27.10 so far before you see any sights. 2 more trips and your ticket is paid and all further trips are free.

Forgive me if this information overload

PS, watch out for the cyclists(Mainly electric bikes) When crossing the road..seriously

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Guys, heading over there in large family group. One family going from UK and they left it late to buy Irish jerseys, delivery now will be after we travel. Are there team jerseys for sale on streets in Paris?

Advertisement