Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭bunderoon

I have put about 2-3lbs weight on the back of my worx landroid and it solved most of those issues. That extra little weight made the rear wheels grip better and also lightens the resistance on the front guide wheels.

I'll probably get the spokes in the near future.

Also agree on the sand. Any corners 90 degree or sharper will force the robot to rotate more meaning more spinning of the wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Plastic mesh,.you can cut it with a scissors, got it in local coop garden centre, couple of metres per roll.

Used the wire pegs to peg it down,.grass should grow over it eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I’m contemplating an autonomous mower. I measured my garden online via satelitte and it’s a max of 3000 square metres as the measurement includes some tarmac and concrete area. Most of the garden is connected with one small part being across the driveway.

Have looked at the Husquvrnas. Is the 430x my best bet? My neighbour recently got one so I’m thinking of going to the same supplier as him who he highly recommended and who he states did an excellent setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,111 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I have much the same size and mower as you mention and it does the job.

There are cheaper makes out there but you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement

I have a Viking 5112z so will see what I get for it. It’s 2016 and they are selling for 4K. It was only serviced in March with a belt change and in good condition.

.... with one small part being across the driveway.

You will need to think about that small detail! :)

You will either need to get wires (3 in total) across to that section so that the mower can navigate to it (ensuring no steps along the way) or maybe use a small/cheap push mower to cut it, if its small and you don't mind doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Still dispute this tbh. More money more complexity more 'updates' . Mines now 6 years old. Changed battery once. And only base station being eaten by slugs the mower has been bullet proof. Because its dumb as a truck.

Paid 680 for mine I'm amazon sale. Paying 4k for a mower doesn't cut the grass anymore trimmy. I think folks will get a sound mower for under 1k without all the fluff that will just trim the top off the grass like it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I'd let most of my one acre garden go wild since before the first lockdown and as you can imagine . . it now looks totality shite and depressing.

The lawn used to be reasonably level before but is now covered in thick coarse grasses and thistle weeds etc. So my plan is to strim it all back down, mow it again until next summer when hopefully I'll be able to afford a decent autonomous mower.

Will a year be suitable enough time period for lawn readjustment, which'll allow it to be navigated by a robomower, or should I be thinking this is gonna be more of a long term process?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

A cheap automower.either like the Lidl ones for the second garden. I concur with what you say btw, I have a cheap Macalister automower that does just what it says on the tin, and way outperforms my new Worx landroid, which is nearly better and ploughing holes and tracks in my lawn than actually mowing the grass!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Hi all, what's the best way to fix a cut guide wire? I don't have any slack to get the wire into the connector like below?

I'll probably need to use a repair plug on each end of the cable and link them together with an extra piece of cable in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

That's exactly what I've done, more times than I care to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

I also started out making a note of where all my connections were so I could troubleshoot later on, but that went by the wayside before too long. I'm very chop happy now!

Is there anything to be said for a full GPS model like this? I don’t like the sound of the wires.

https://www.ambrogio.co.uk/models/twenty-29-elite/

Wires run your house. It's 100 year old tech. Pretty bullet proof unless cut..even then easy to repair.

Try repair a GPS unit.

Local landscaper reckons he knows a couple of people who have got these and are very happy:

Watching reviews online feedback is good.

My brother in laws a landscaper running company for 2 decades. Wouldn't trust his knowledge on mowers. Great man for design and finish work though. But not electronics 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Raoul

You can get something along the lines of these. Just make sure they are waterproof. I used them already to repair a cut boundary wire.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kuject-Connectors-Waterproof-Electrical-Automotive/dp/B073RMRCC3/ref=asc_df_B073RMRCC3/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=375456255828&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17381231911171684131&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007878&hvtargid=pla-804020772602&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=77211061152&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=375456255828&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=17381231911171684131&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007878&hvtargid=pla-804020772602

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I have this. Certainly not without issues. Issues are easier fixed than wires though. Ie pull it out of whatever hole it's caught itself in.

if I was going again I'd probably look for the cheap dumb one with a wire, or just go for this again. It really sounds like the wired ones are much of a muchness, with a few attracting premium price due to brand alone. Lidl one sounds perfect.

Wires are crap though. 100 year old technology as one said above 😃 so as GPS goes there is only a few options and Husq prices are eye watering, there are some EVs on donedeal nearly going for less. Neighbour has lubimow wireless one too, looks like an F1 car, 4 wheel drive probably a good feature, seems to have got it going well after initial teething issues.

😎

This landscaper is going off two customers who have it and their reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

I have this also since last summer and am very happy with it for the most part. The software was a bit buggy initially, but it's continually improving with regular updates.

The wireless boundary is very handy for where lawns are in multiple sections/crossing driveways etc. It might not be suitable if there's a lot of big trees on the lawn as that might affect the GPS signal.

Would tend to agree with others who suggest the cheapest/dumbest mowers are more than sufficient if it suits your lawn layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Have had my Automower 420 for about 5 years now. 7200 hours on it currently. Have had to replace both wheel motors in the last couple of months. One side went first, sorted that.....then about 3 weeks later the other side went.

Wondering if anyone else has the 420 with similar hours on it or more hours and have had to replace many parts?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hero25

have had a 450 for about the same amount of time. ~11000 hours.

Also had to replace both wheel motors this year. 1 in May and 2nd one last week.

also lost a front wheel this year!!

Am happy enough with those lifespans. will be interesting to see how long replacements will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭denismc

I have a 315 and I also replaced a wheel motor this year

When I took the wheel motor apart the grease had gone completely solid, so I took apart the other wheel motor, cleaned out the old grease and put in some fresh grease.

There are a couple of YouTube videos on how to do this, it's well worth trying to do if it extends the life of the motor.

I watched that video a while back and I considered doing it but it seemed a bit fiddly and he mentioned that it can, in some cases, actually make it worse! So, I held off. I would doubt that Husqvarna dealers do that on a service or consider it a service item. I'd bet they just wait for it to die and put in a new motor!

Did you find it easy to do? Where did you get the grease? How long did it take to do one?

Wondering if anyone else has the 420 with similar hours on it or more hours and have had to replace many parts?

@MuddyDog My 330X/430x is on its 10th season (12k hours) and all the motors and sensors are the originals. I have heard people with newer models saying they had motor/wheel problems so maybe there was a bad batch or something.

I changed the original battery last year so it exceeded my expectations in terms of lifespan and the new battery has higher capacity, so it mows for even longer than when new now!

Apart from the battery I had to replace the cutting disc bearings a few times and eventually realised they were prematurely wearing out because it had hit something solid and bent the shaft thus causing the bearings to wear sooner than they should. Not exactly the mowers fault. It did keep running and the bearings were super cheap and easy to replace so it still worked for a few seasons.

Thats one thing I really like about the automower.... almost everything in it can be easily sourced (you dont have to pay main stealer prices) and easily fixed/replaced via DIY. If the engine or cutting bed of a ride-on gave trouble I wouldn't be as quick to fix it myself. The automower is very easy to work on.... lots of plug 'n play parts basically.

I didn't go into as much detail as in the video, I just used chain cleaner that I have for my bike and it was great at dissolving the grease.

It was a bit fiddly for sure but all parts fit in a certain way so you know if you are doing it wrong. I would be a lot more confident doing it the next time.

I noticed a couple of pins in the motor are worn so I think it's only a matter of time before it packs in.

For grease I just used a medium thickness grease that you can get in any motor factors or farmers co-op.

As you say it's easy enough to replace the motor but I want to see if I can extend the lifespan of the motor with a bit of maintenance.

Do people think there would be any companies offering any discount on robot mowers coming into the next few weeks due to end of season?

I thought there might be but then the boxes are so small, storage would hardly be an issue for a few months.

Atkins in Cork used to do spring discounts around April but they haven't done anything for a few years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bamayang

Can anyone advise here. Upgraded my phone and new phone with husq appwon’t connect to the robot mower (model 315). When I search for mowers in the Bluetooth mode it never finds it. Any ideas?

• Advertisement

You have to add a mower in the app before it will pair, it won't pair automatically.

Advertisement