Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

No issues for me at the moment but I have seen in the Facebook group that some people are having GPS inconsistencies lately so it ends up getting stuck on the boundary. Possibly due to a recent firmware update.

Do you have the vision fence camera sensor? I find that it's a bit too sensitive to rain which means it goes back to the base whenever there's a few raindrops on the lens - which is quite often with the weather we're getting lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭sligopaul

Welcome to the world of robo mowing , we are in our 5th season and in general machine works well but has its moments, can get beached and generally needs a little love but overall has been positive ( IMOW here though agent has recently moved to Ambrogio so interested to see 1st hand experiences )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭denismc

I went out to the garden one morning recently to find my mower like this.

I think I have been working it too hard🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 11,593 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

So tired it was unable to do any mower...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Bought a Parkside from Lidl. Is burying the cable much better than pegging it down?

I have a half acre (including house, driveway, garage) am thinking it's a lot of long work to bury myself.

If correct, anyone know any businesses in Galway that bury cable?

Thanks,

Pa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Raoul

Just peg it down. The pegs and the wire will be covered over in a few months and buried in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Pegging it and it will be buried tbh.

But it's actually not alot of work with an edger . I pegged my original one a few years ago and it's hard to find it now. But I had to replace 1/4 of it recently due to reshaping patio areas and cuts. And I used an edger took me 20 minutes to create a lined slot for the cable and drop it in with no pegs. We've 3/4 acre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Have a Landroid, came back from hols and it gave alert it couldn't find it home when away. Now the wire light is on. Dug up the wire beside the place I found it stopped but no break....its 700m2 and no idea how or where to start

Any tools to find the break? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

You could faff around and be lucky with cheap AM radio or a cheap cable break detector or just buy a more expensive one and you will need less luck. I have all 3 , and this one is the one that actually worked well when and could spot a bad connection (without full break) : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09XF65PYS?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

My mower doesn't run when it is raining and waits 4 hours after it stops raining.

With the amount and frequency of rain we have had, it basically means Momo doesn't get out much. If lucky once a day, but there have been periods of 2-3 days where it didn't go out... the rain plus the reasonably warm temperatures mean grass is growing fast. So when it does go out and cuts, rather than just clipping a couple of mm, it actually cuts centimeters or even inches of the grass, and it is not mulching well , the cuttings stay on the grass and it doesn't look good.

I have even cut the grass myself a few times to help Momo, but still grass grows a lot faster than it can cut it, if it can only go out once a day or not at all. Getting it out when the grass is wet is not a great idea as the grass will just clump under the mower.

Am I the only one that has this problem ?

• Advertisement

Apart from the garden which has the broken wire I found the smae issue, I reduced the time it starts after rain to try combat but selling of the tractor, which was the plan, might be held back....especially when the small battery push mower I have is fairly f**king useless

Thanks, bought one....lets hope it works :-) otherwise will have to put it down again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

My mower doesn't run when it is raining and waits 4 hours after it stops raining.

That is specific to your one. The Husqvarnas don’t do it. They mow as much as you want them to.

A 4hr wait after rain in this country doesn’t sound like a good design at all and your experience proves it.

Any chance it’s a setting that you could disable?

What make mower do you have?

I have a rain sensor on my Stihl but can adjust the sensitivity so it does go out in rain

It is a Landroid and yes I can disable or adjust to as many minutes as I like, but cutting wet grass just makes it accumulate around the cutting disk. Right now I just send it out manually as soon as I believe grass is dry enough.. depends on time of day, temperature, wind and sun though, so hard it could be 30 mins one time,but also 5 hours another time.. so hard to set a set time I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My mower goes out in the rain and has done since I bought it. It's a lawnmower it's mean to mow.

If you have it going regularly then there shouldn't be clumps of grass because it's constantly cutting and mulching the tips of the grass.

You don't have it set regularly enough. Need to keep to a set schedule and turn off the rain thing entirely. Tbh .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭denismc

Just send it out in the rain like it's designed to do.

Mine is going pretty much constantly as this weather is resulting in maximum grass growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Agree with these comments, let it out consistently and grass will stay short enough so it won’t gather in the undercarriage.

OK, ok I get it now 😂 .. rain schedule is off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Dozz

My mower (robomow) is having a lot of traction issues due to the weather. I was wondering if anyone has tried those aluminium spike wheels that fit onto the side of the existing wheels? Be interested to hear if anyone's experience or any other successful solutions.

• Advertisement

I have them on one of the mowers. The other I don't

They give extra traction but can rip the ground if it gets stuck. If it is just traction issues they work

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Dozz

@ZookeeperDub Thanks for that. Have you had any issues with it driving over the boundary wire etc?

None with boundary wire at all. The one I have the spikes on it is working perfect. On the other one without them I have issues with boundary but that was poor installation by some idiot who didn't know what he was up to....I spotted him the other day in the mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭shoehorn

Low battery return issue:

I have an Ambrogio L250 Elite , rated for 5,000sqm. It's been working hard these days, and often run low on juice and so returns by itself to charge. But it seems to come out again after a few minutes, if the schedule demands. Then the battery gets low again, as it didn't charge for very long, and the cycle repeats.

I would have thought that it would only return to schedule after it recharged to a certain level? Is there somewhere I should set this?

Also, what's the best charging schedule during times of max. growth like now? I have it set to work for 3 periods, with two charging periods in between. Do people go for many shorter working periods, or just two long working periods with a long charging session? Other relevant info:

I have approx 0.75 acre.

I prefer not to have it working during darkness.

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

My Lidl mower was running great until heavy rain over couple of days. Looks like water got into it and the keypad won’t respond so initially couldn’t enter the pin and now it won’t power on because no keys at all work.

Thought it would have been waterproof?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Of course it should be waterproof.

back to Lidl for warranty repair/replacement I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Shaneoman1983

How do people manage their edges? I have a Husky 450X yr 4 for an acre. Trimmer messy. The ride on can damage the blade next to kerb. Any bright person here get it sussed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Push mower which I have for another area where the Husq doesn't operate.

• Advertisement

Advertisement