Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fermented Foods

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

BA test kitchen youtube channel has some great fermentation videos, Brad Leone is the fermentation man, he has a show called "Its alive!"

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGSWtCOaiCD-EuX8PeWEZarcthsXCWotU

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Is it possible to use York Cabbage for home making Kimchi

In my two batch experience, I would say yes. The inner, softer leaves if you can and maybe add a couple of hours to the salting time to really soften the stems/leaves.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on please. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Is it possible to use York Cabbage for home making Kimchi

Yes, I'd imagine but it won't break down as much as Chinese leaves - You'd end up with a more coleslaw like texture.

From what I've been served as kimchi in restaurants, people seem to think that kimchi is just Asian slaw, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

We've found our local Polish shop to have the best Chinese Leaves around - huge and compact. All the other bits can be found in most Asian shops.

Great tip, thanks - me and my friend made a load of Kimchi a couple of weeks ago - I got the Chinese cabbage in the Rathmines Polish shop on your recommendation. They had these GIANT scallions also.

I used the BBC Good Food recipe as it was quite simple.

I had only problem: one jar cracked and went all over the place from the pressure build up, so I recommend opening and closing the jar lids next day after making it.

It was so tasty and a super-fun thing to do with a friend of an afternoon!

quaalude wrote: »
    Great tip, thanks - me and my friend made a load of Kimchi a couple of weeks ago - I got the Chinese cabbage in the Rathmines Polish shop on your recommendation. They had these GIANT scallions also.

I had only problem: one jar cracked and went all over the place from the pressure build up, so I recommend opening and closing the jar lids next day after making it.

I just bought a 1.5ltr Kilner jar to hopefully cope with the pressure build up.

• Advertisement

quaalude wrote: »

I just bought a 1.5ltr Kilner jar to hopefully cope with the pressure build up.

Don't seal the jars while fermenting.:eek:
    Just leave the lids on loosely, so the gasses can escape.
    Lids should only be closed tightly when fermentation has more or less stopped and the kimchi is in the fridge.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I remember reading somewhere/being told that bottles containing recently-made preserves (be they juice, pickles, wine, tomato sauce, or indeed fermented foods, etc) should never be kept in direct contact with the ground as they're very likely to explode;if they're stored on the ground they should rest on a plank of wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Don't seal the jars while fermenting.:eek:
    Just leave the lids on loosely, so the gasses can escape.
    Lids should only be closed tightly when fermentation has more or less stopped and the kimchi is in the fridge.

Noted for next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

just having some of my most recent Sauerkraut batch on some nice bread with the leftover of yesterday's roast pork.

Mmmmmmmm

Not sure if this is fermented or just preserved but, either way, it's delicious and finding its way into a lot of stuff I prepare.

Preserved lemons. This doesn't follow any recipe or method that I know of but it works and produces a very usable jar of "Stuff".
    Initially we used lemon slices but have found that it's more usable with chopped lemons.

It's as simple as chopping up a lemon (washed, pips and all) and layering it in a clean jar with sea salt - about 1.5 - 2 teaspoons per lemon - and leaving it for a few weeks.

This goes in salad dressings, chopped up with fresh parsley and garlic, went in fish cakes yesterday, tabouleh, with melted butter and herbs for fish, etc.etc.

It's pretty salty, so you need to be aware of that when using it.
    The result is greater than the sum of lemons and salt.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Not sure if this is fermented or just preserved but, either way, it's delicious and finding its way into a lot of stuff I prepare.

Preserved lemons. This doesn't follow any recipe or method that I know of but it works and produces a very usable jar of "Stuff".
    Initially we used lemon slices but have found that it's more usable with chopped lemons.

It's as simple as chopping up a lemon (washed, pips and all) and layering it in a clean jar with sea salt - about 1.5 - 2 teaspoons per lemon - and leaving it for a few weeks.

This goes in salad dressings, chopped up with fresh parsley and garlic, went in fish cakes yesterday, tabouleh, with melted butter and herbs for fish, etc.etc.

It's pretty salty, so you need to be aware of that when using it.
    The result is greater than the sum of lemons and salt.

Oh wow, this is great!

I love preserved lemons, but never thought of making my own. I would imagine organic lemon would be better so as not to have the wax

I love how you get the full lemon flavour without the acidity of the juice.

Great in couscous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh wow, this is great!

I love preserved lemons, but never thought of making my own. I would imagine organic lemon would be better so as not to have the wax

I love how you get the full lemon flavour without the acidity of the juice.

Great in couscous.

I bought a jar of them once and wasn't that gone on them but my own ones worked out great. 10 minutes work and after that just a bit of patience.

Seamai wrote: »
    I bought a jar of them once and wasn't that gone on them but my own ones worked out great. 10 minutes work and after that just a bit of patience.

Do you have to submerge them in water like sauerkraut?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Do you have to submerge them in water like sauerkraut?

Yes, the juice from the squeezed lemons should cover the ones in the jar completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

There's a neat way of cutting the lemons:

• cut down from the top to nearly the bottom

• turn the lemon upside down

• rotate the lemon 90°

• cut down from what is now the top to nearly the bottom

Makes you feel like you're being authentic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Roald Dahl

I like the sound of your preserved lemons, beer revolu. As it happens, Aldi have organic lemons this week as part of their Super 6.

Will definitely make a jar of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Roald Dahl

I made the preserved lemons 10 days ago. I think they're done. I choppped them into small pieces instead of slitting them open and leaving whole.

They taste fantastic with no bitterness from the pith. I chomped a piece of fresh lemon to compare the two :pac: and there is a huge difference in taste and texture. The juice in the jar seems to have really thickened too.

I've been looking at some recipes which call for it, but am not yet sure what to do... one recipe was charred broccoli and preserved lemon spaghetti, which I like the sound of.

Apparently the juice can be used in Bloody Marys. I've never had a Bloody Mary, but will be getting around to it at some stage!

Any other ideas?

I mix preserved lemon through couscous with fresh herbs.

I like the lemony flavour without the acidity. Lots of nutrients in the pith too that you wouldn't get from just the juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Roald Dahl wrote: »
    Any other ideas?

A few on Nigella's site, though not all recipes available online
    https://www.nigella.com/recipes/search?term=preserved+lemons

Mrs. Beer did another batch of kimchi.
    She likes her kimchi!

https://zizihub.com/e24b.jpg

• Advertisement

Well and truly hooked here too. Going through about 1.5 litres a week. Not sure if it’s related but my toilet roll usage is way down too.

Resurrecting this thread.

Kimchi and preserved lemon are still both constants in our house. I use the lemon in everything!

Recently came across this on twitter and just had to try it: fermented jalapeños and pineapple!

So I sliced 9 jalapeños lengthways in 4. Cut a few "sticks" of fresh pineapple and put them in a jar with crushed garlic cloves, a bit of onion and brine. It's just started to bubble a little and smells amazing!

Options after ferment would be to remove the veg, blitz and strain it to make a thin hot sauce or don't strain a keep as a thick relish.

Not sure where it is but I posted about fermented chilli in honey a few months ago. The combination of sweet and spicy is amazing.

Consistency-wise, it’s very runny and I could, like you describe, blitz it but I think it looks better like a relish.

Please ignore the sideways elevation. Looks like it won’t budge. 🙄

I finished the jalapeño and pineapple ferment. Left it for about 2 weeks - it smelled amazing - no off funk at all.

I removed the vegetables from the brine and finely hand chopped them first, but that wasn't great, so I blitzed the lot in the food processor.

This improved it but it still had a strong kinda pickled onion flavour that I wasn't mad about so I boiled it up and cooked it for a couple of minutes and added a little sugar.

Bingo! It's delicious.

Next time I'd add a touch more pineapple and some hotter chilies as well as the jalapeños!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

I don't know if someone mention here is my grandma recipes from the milk.

1. Probiotic drink.

Buy a jar of whole milk, keep lid loose and leave on a table for 4 days. Once fermented shake and drink or cool down in the fridge to have your own "actimel/benecol" at the fraction of the cost.

2. Soft cheese

Take fermented milk you have made from recepie 1, put fermented milk in a glass jar and jar into a pot full of water.

Boil for a couple of hours to get lovely soft cheese. Enjoy

Post edited by GoogleBot on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

What kind of milk does she use? The pasteurisation process kills off most of the bacteria that would lead to souring. The ones that are left behind tend to rancidify the milk. It rots rather than sours.

If she's old enough to remember milk pre pasteurisation she might be going on a process from a different era that isn't suited to today's milk. That said it appears to work by the sounds of it and perhaps opening the milk to the environment allows enough of the desirable micro organisms back in!

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Make sense. What I remember she usually buys 2 large 3 L glass jars of milk. One she boiled straight away and we as kids used to drink and the other one she usually reserved for lovely soft cheese with strawberry jam. Smile

I've taken to regularly fermenting chillies. They are so tasty!

It only takes a few minutes to chop them and put in brine. I just use a pebble to keep the chillies submerged. Takes about a week to ferment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Attempted my first hot sauce

Got 6 of what looke like Scotch Bonnets (could be habaneros) in the local Asian Ingredients shop, de-skinned and chopped up a pineapple, chopped hals an onion, and a red pepper

Covered in Brine and a fermentation weight, I'm going to leave them for 3 weeks and probably blitz to a sauce with some xanthan gum

• Advertisement

I'm doing pretty much the same thing.

I got some Bolivian hairy chillies which are too hot to eat sliced so I'm going to make a sauce once fermented. I'm also fermenting a small pineapple and some garlic and will add as much of that as I need. Think I might try the zanthan gum, too.

Advertisement