Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fermented Foods

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

What brine do you use @the beer revolu ? Just salt and water?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes, I use sea salt and this calculator

https://www.omnicalculator.com/food/brine

I think I want a fermenter with an airlock and proper weight.

I often get a white kahm yeast which is harmless but annoying and can affect the flavour if you don't get it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

It’s just another thing to gather dust. Crush it down with your fist if you can.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

You could try and get these, they're usually very cheap. Now sure how cheap they are on Amazon, but at least you should be able to find them.

You put them in the jar over your vegetables with the spikes pointing up - when you close the lid they'll act as presses. They can be reused, too, if you wash them carefully.

Alternatively, if the opening is large enough, you can use an espresso cup and saucer to do the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I ended up fermenting this mix for well over 6 weeks in the end, fermentation was active at the start, then slowed down a good bit.

I strained and put all the solids into a blender, needed maybe 200mls of the brine to loosen it enough to blend, then added about half a teaspoon of xanthan gum. It's about the consistency of ketchup, which is fine for my needs for it.

It starts off with a decent kick, then the fruit comes in behind and a definite flavour of fermentation. I'm very happy with it, ended up with 500mls of sauce

Right, I made my fermented chilli sauce too.

I fermented the Bolivian hairy chillies for about 2 weeks,also a small pineapple and several cloves of garlic.

I blitzed the lot in a borrowed blender (I find a food processor doesn't blend fine enough) added a dash of cider vinegar and some lime juice and a little xantham gum.

I did bring it to the boil as I have 5 jars of it and I want it to keep, long-term.

It's HOT! Very hot to my palate. Tasty but very hot!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Just found this thread 😀.

Going to do a batch of sauerkraut initially. Question. If I use juniper berries, caraway seeds or fennel seeds……do I crush them first?

Cheers.

I haven’t made sauerkraut before but I would crush them. Your 4 litre jar is going to hold a lot of sauerkraut, good luck with it! 🤞

Tesco opens in 37 minutes. I’m primed, in the stalls 😀😀😀

• Advertisement

Too late, no doubt, but Polish shops aften sell massive white cabbages quite cheaply.

Anyway……I popped in a teaspoon of caraway, whole and more juniper berries also whole.

Bubbling away nicely.

it's good weather for fermenting alright

Also found out optimal temperatures for fermenting……wasn’t aware tbh. 20-23c. Lower temperatures, longer ferment. Higher and it gets messy. We’ll see……

Going to do a proper kimchi ferment soon.

I've done Kimchi too, with excellent results.

Also did a fermented pineapple and chili hot sauce which was amazing.

Ha. Did the exact same chillies were so hot, I needed the pineapple to cut it. Fermented pineapple is great!

1st. attempt. It’s good. On an empty stomach those probiotics will be having a field day. 😀😀 No Daikon in about 4 stores I tried so I used a few regular radishes, no biggie. Asian Market have it. Ferment = Just under two days.

I just use regular radishes. No difference.

Advertisement