Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food in Clondalkin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,050 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tbh I'd never noticed, it always seemed to only be open at drunk o'clock anyway.

Nearly 20 years living in the village and I'd never been to it either!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Mr. Lam's was originally Far East, which must have opened 40 plus years ago.

Legend for those growing up in Clondalkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

What's with all the pub carvery's going to sh1t?

I used to love heading to the Laurel's for Sunday dinner as a treat every now and then, but then it lost the staff to Quinlans but the food just didn't transfer well!!

Started to head to the waterside which was really nice, but in the last few months, its just gone to sh1t, is there anywhere that can do a decent carvery in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

X2 Laurels/treetop staff moved but food isn't the same in quinlans, the village is lacking for sit in food, pandinis menu has become dated and there's not much more choice about the place especially for a decent carvery. Try taking a spin up to Newcastle and try out Annie Mays, grub was good last time I was there

Does anyone have any idea when (if?) Gunpowder is reopening? We have a voucher for there... 😮

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Didn't even know it closed, ate in it a couple of times and was extremely unimpressed. I initially put it down to maybe it was just a bad day, but when I visited again it was the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I was there twice and enjoyed it. Problem was that the menu was pretty much the same as the other 2 pubs

Anyone know if Mao is gone for good? And if the sushi place where Mr. Lam is actually going to open?

Yeah all the kitchen equipment in Mao was ripped out. They closed another branch or two recently too.

As regards the other place there could be a major shortage of trained sushi chefs in Clondalkin at the moment, maybe it's that... 😉

Pity, mao was a nice change to the usual Chinese shíte. They had low calorie meals too if you're trying to eat healthy. I got a text saying it was "temporarily closed" but today noticed the signs were gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Looks like they tried to save it when they introduced the pizza menu.

Mao in clondalkin was never as a good as the likes of Camile imo.

Very expensive and got the orders wrong far too often. But almost no alternative for gluten free takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Came on to ask about Mao. Crap its gone, just usual spice bag Chinese muck left now. Camille in Walkinstown/Lucan used to deliver to us during pandemic, but not anymore.

Uber Eats was nearly always offering €5 off or 25% discount whenever I ordered from Mao, which took the sting out.

The likes of Mao would be as well off setting up a kitchen in an industrial estate somewhere and just doing delivery. Maybe that's the plan?

Originally it had a fairly large seating area, but hardly anyone used it and they took it out to expand the kitchen. It's really not the sort of place you'd go to to eat in.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭raxy

There's a new camile in city west might deliver.

Somewhere easier to pull into. But a few places have popped up in industry estates over the years, oak road and Clondalkin ind est but they never seem to last. I think our of the public eye they get forgotten about.

Had a look in mao today, still plenty of equipment there, even loads of pizza boxes. Hopefully they'll be back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Danye

Hi all,

Desperately trying to find a decent Chinese in Clondalkin. I’ve tried the Hong Hop (Bang average & tasteless) and Seven Spice which was also very average.

Where’s the best?

Reading a few of the posts in the thread has me heaving! 🤢

Most are average.

If anyone wants an amazing sandwich, outside Clondalkin though, try the Farmhouse Cafe one the long mile road.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/xQHNZYHc8gpde3Af6

New Territory on Castle Crescent is decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭con747

It's been a long time but the China Inn was decent as well. The Wok Shop was mediocre. Victoria not the worst.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

North Park Chinese in Kingswood is nice and not a million miles away

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭halfpastneverr

Camille in Citywest did deliver to us in Newlands Manor there. So still one decent delivery alternative to gloopy curry sauce, chicken balls and spice bags!

Mr Lam was going to be a sushi place. But instead it's a pizza place. Eskimo pizza. Literally opposite 4 star pizza and red best pizza

Yeah that's weird, saw the change the other day. There's pizza through the wazoo already in the village. Maybe their USP is selling it frozen 😁

Well, Mao is definitely gone as the To Let sign is up

Looks like Mao is going to be a kebab place

Hadn't seen it mentioned but the Treetop that moved from laurels to quinlans is now permanent upstairs in the steering wheel (what was once gunpowder)

Same food and staff as when in the Laurels, nice for a Sunday carvery but very busy

Hmm wonder if they'll honour that Gunpowder voucher we won in a raffle last year about 3 milliseconds before it closed... doubt it 🙄

Saw on Google maps that it said Treetops was there, thought it was a mistake as business locations are often wrong. Didn't look as if any work had been done on it when I went past it the other day, looked just the same as it has for months

• Advertisement

It was downstairs in the steering wheel that was fire damaged, although the bar is back open downstairs recently from the side, upstairs is the same layout as before.

Be carefull If you happen to park in the carpark, it's pay and display and clampers seem to be there a lot too

Advertisement