Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Applegreen own brand chargers

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Maybe they are just looking at the numbers... and the numbers might not be stacking up for CHAdeMO anymore!! Unlike eCars, Applegreen aren't in it to provide the service, they are in it to make money!! Though even eCars have been removing CHAdeMO lately in favour of CCS only sites!! So maybe even they are seeing it now in a commercial sense?

I reckon that site goes single unit with dual CCS for the time being, and if/when they see usage increasing along with evidence of queuing.. (even the staff in their stores could report EV queuing to keep it simple..) they'll stick in another dual CCS unit beside it as ultimately thats where the money will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭tlaavtech

I suspect this is the case. Any time I have charged there (about 6 times), I have been the only car there.

Sucks for Leaf drivers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭crl84

Don't know about chademo but the 2 times I've been there in the last month, there's been 2 other CCS cats plugged in when I got there (2 Teslas the last time). I was only there for less than 15mins the mast time, and there was an Ioniq queuing when I was leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭crl84

Don't know about chademo but the 2 times I've been there in the last month, there's been 2 other CCS cats plugged in when I got there (2 Teslas the last time). I was only there for less than 15mins the mast time, and there was an Ioniq queuing when I was leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,956 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Double post, and I didn't know cats had CCS ports now 😉😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Exactly my point, what new AG station opened or got upgraded with an extra charger last week?

I think the first part of your post is on the money.

The second part is hopefully also true but is reliant on AG giving a **** about EV charging

Was down there anyway today… a cone covering the cables from the removed unit…

no one else charging when we arrived and no one charging when we left 20 minutes later… despite there being quite a few ID.4’s there, they all seemed local…

I think they care more about making money and from an cost return point of view CCS is better

The more kWh you sell the more money you make, so faster charging cars are more profitable

The vast majority of Chademo cars are limited to 50kW, whereas a lot of CCS cars now will reliably go higher

So it makes commercial sense to install more CCS plugs

Good economics, but sucks for Leaf owners. I wonder if Nissan dealerships are informing potential customers that their fast charging network is now shrinking 🤔

As for moving the existing unit, Applegreen definitely seem to be favouring speed of deployment over size of hubs so the unit that was removed will probably pop up somewhere else soon

Or maybe it was just broken and needed to go back for repair, we'll just have to wait and see

The more kWh you sell the more money you make, so faster charging cars are more profitable

Probably a bit simplistic, you also need to bear in mind that chademo cars tend to have smaller batteries so are likely to stop for a charge more often, and because they charge slower the drivers are more likely to grab a sandwich/hot drink/meal/etc while the charging goes on so that's more profit for the forecourt owner again.

But obviously the sheer number of chademo cars is down around the 10% of all EVs mark so that needs to be considered as well... Applegreen are also ridiculously expensive and the vast majority of drivers know this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,861 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If they stopped for a charge more often that would be reflected in the Chademo charging stats. But it's not. I don't know why you keep bringing this redundant point up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

When I ordered our Niro in Nov 19, the dealership was also a Nissan dealership.

Was shown the leaf, and had the option of the 62kwh leaf but we preferred the Niro.

There was talk about chademo being dead then too. No new cars were coming out even then with chademo.

So you're saying leafs don't stop to charge more often? Because that's certainly not my experience haha!

Also according to ecars-stats.com/ the station at Obama Plaza had 23.84hrs of chademo used daily while the CCS had 24.88 hours daily (across the 8 stations)

I'm saying on average a Chademo unit will not provide as much profit to the likes of Applegreen as a CCS unit.

Maybe the owner of that website (Padraig isn't it?) can give us an overview of usage again.

Yeah the writing has been on the wall for around 5 years I'd say, it's criminal that Nissan didn't change over to CCS with the 40kWh Leaf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭innrain

That example is the exception not the rule. From the same dataset overall graphs. Keep in mind that CHdeMO is limited to 50kW so plotting the kWh on the y axis would show a bigger gap

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

From Facebook

In case anyone else had the same issues with the Applegreen App not showing charging points that are right in front of you, here’s how to ensure you can see all charging points on the island of Ireland.

Background: the new Applegreen app requires a separate “plan” for UK and ROI. Without it, you won’t see any chargers listed in the territory.

I contacted customer support and was able to solve the issue. To save you the trouble, here’s what you have to do.

Go to Account. Then under Billing Contracts, there’s a hard to see link “Add plan”. Click on that. Then you should be able to add whichever of the two plans you are missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭vinniem

Thanks, but does adding a plan result in extra charges or monthly subscription? It gives a warning before adding plan that extra costs may be incurred. I've looked at this just now and I'm not on any plan and have used several times in ROI. Bit confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's fine. I'm sure the warning is for any possible future plan where there could be a monthly subscription in exchange for a lower unit rate, like ESB have as an option. AG don't currently have one like that, just the one with €0 monthly subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,324 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement

I picked Obama as it has 8 chargers that can charge any car, J14 only has 3 chademo plugs there, 1 dedicated, 2 shared vs 5 dedicated CCS so the effect of leafs queuing etc would be minimal

Even still, are even 10% of cars on the road chademo? Yet they occupy 28% of the time, at that station

Good point I'll admit

I'd like to see some national stats if there are any available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hi,

I hate payment apps, will need to use Enflied east bound applegreen charger - can you pay by tapping there ? Or is it worth setting up on the app ?

yes, you can 'tap to pay' , however they place a €30 hold on your card, and it might take a few days to return... so if you are happy with that set up (€30 pre auth for each charging session), then yes, go ahead...

I've used Applegreen 3 times this year, but still have the app... set it up, and then leave it till you need it.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Maybe take that "hours in use" with a pinch of salt. The metric is trying to represent the number of hours a socket is not available because it's either in use, or blocked because the other socket is in use. (like the old 50kW units where CCS blocked Chademo and Chademo blocked CCS). The new units with 2 sockets are both sides means the same happens to the metrics. CCS is in use, but the CHAdeMO socket on the same side is blocked from use. It skews the metrics.

I'll see if I can figure a way to work around that

This is a graph of units reported as "Charging" or "Occupied". Last I looked, "Occupied" was when some was in the bay, plugged in, but hadn't started charging. Pretty sure I also only consider a unit to be charging if it has a "charge start time", so that ignores the issue mentioned above.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Nothing nationally, but I have ESB, Applegreen (i'll see about getting those on the site too, just no time or motivation to do it these days), and somewhat some EasyGo stats. Nothing on Ionity or Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Charger out of order eastound Enflied, where there is literally only the one charger! They need to get their act together after kicking out the ESB ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,561 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My leaf - a 2011 - has about 14-14.5kWh of usable energy depending on its mood. Now it still takes half an hour to go 20-80%, but in that time I may have taken 10kWh on board. Assuming its a 200kW unit, if I were on it for that same 30 minutes in my Tesla, I could have taken 40kWh. That's 4 times the revenue, for the same utilisation factor. I do all my local trips in my leaf, it's in action at least 2-3 times a week. But I have only fast charged twice since I got it, and that was on the way home from Merlins. People arent taking leafs on road trips and fast charging. We do however take our Tesla and herselfs Ora on road trips, both of which if fast charging charge at speeds exponentially faster (and thus pay for more energy in the same time) than my poor old leaf.

If I were a commercial charging company, obviously less load factor is bad, and any energy sold is good, but if cost is a factor, who would I optimise my ssystem for, the guy that will take 40kWh in half an hour or the guy that may get to 10kWh in that half hour.

PS:: on the local - to me - AG charger in gorey they have no chademo and 2 CCS plugs.

To be fair they don't even have a charger listed for Enflied 😉

Sorry, couldn't resist when I spotted that 🤣

I agree, they really need to get a move on with installing additional chargers at some of the sites

They seem to be spreading the existing units thinner across more sites, given the second unit was removed from Paulstown recently

So AG seem to be prioritising number of sites over quality of each individual site

What's that saying, "never mind the quality, look at the width"

I wonder is there a long lead time for procurement or something, can't imagine there's any shortage of demand for EV chargers at the moment

This unfortunately looks like the same trap that Ecars fell into and got stuck with a bunch of sites with 1 units

I'm starting to be a bit more forgiving of Circle K, Maxol, SSE and Ionity with their slower rollout but they're going to multiple HPCs per site generally

Even Ecars are doing better than that lately, although I'm sure they'll do an absolute cluster f**k of a site to make up for it soon

• Advertisement

Yes it is true that faster chargers are worth more money to the provider and while some cars can charge at up to 320kW the vast vast majority are in the 50-100 range so you make a good point but not a very good one

Advertisement