Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavyweight Boxing

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Dubois simply ran outta steam like a lot of Usyk opponents do imo. Looked well shook starting the 9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,570 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Usyk was by far the better boxer but that wasn't a low blow so the question has to be asked if his weakness has been found. They talked about him having trouble with it in the past. It looks like he still has a problem and its going to be targeted every fight from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,650 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not sure a weakness. It was a very clean and heavy shot. Likely hurts many. Question more to do with its legality.

How did Joshua do against Usyk to the body in their two fights?

I honestly can't remember.

He had success, but not to the point where Usyk was in a bad way. Usyk is 215-220 lbs and AJ 250. Body shots that land hard/clean bound to hurt.

Post edited by walshb on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

AJ never troubled him in any serious way. Usyk handled him easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Beterbiev had him down in the amateurs from a body shot. A digging right hook iirc.

Not every fighter can throw such shots though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Hoboo

I actually thought Usyk was half decent after Joshua. Fury would take both if they did alternate rounds.

Was lucky tonight, he was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Manc-Red_

Usyk easily won on points and worked to get that stoppage against more than decent opponent imho.

But Usyk didn’t look the genius he’s meant to be there and he’s open to shots that a really good opponent could take.

We have to mention that Usyk most likely would have lost to that shot and as much as it hurts me to say it - Fwank was right at the end there, hometown decision for a man that by rights must fight Dubois again if he’s a decent Boxing man.

Usyk other than that deserved to win but Dubois can hold his head high there imho.

Interesting times ahead and Usyk looked pretty average and a fight against Fury tonight for me would have seen a loss imho.

Better Born Lucky Than Rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I have to agree with that

Dubois was outboxed

Then he gave up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,570 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It doesn't matter how good or bad Dubois was, and he was bad. He was robbed by a shot on the belt being called a low shot. It wasn't a low shot and it wasn't even close. I thought watching it live that it wasn't low but not certain by any means. All the replays clearly shoe t wasn't a low shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I don't think he was getting up

You could see from the splut sec9nd the shot landed he was in big trouble, how he went down & how he was on the floor I genuinely don't think he could get up ,

It was an absolute cracking shot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Jared anderson got a fifth round stoppage last night on the espn card, reading the report he landed over 70 body shots before going for headshots

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭squinn2912

If the low shot had been deemed legal then Usyk was in huge trouble. I think he could have beat the count but not sure hed have been able to defend himself very well. That said the shot would have continued to hurt a lot afterwards and Dubois wasnt able to capitalise. By the time Round 9 came he was exhausted. He could have beaten that count but made a half assed attempted on 9. When the referee waved it off there wasnt much protest, I thought he should have been given the chance to continue. What a difference in refereeing compared to Fury Wilder.

i don't think usyk would have been able to continue, did you see the hand shaking like crazy when he was down like the didn't have control over is body

It’s a moot point. He simply followed referee’s instructions. Some a the commentary screaming robbery is pathetic. Dubois quit!! Had a moment of real success, that was deemed ”illegal.” That was it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Initially didnt think it was low but on replay it caught the cup on the way up.

Dubois' eye is knackered.

His reaction, as well as where the shot landed looked much more like a blow in groin area as opposed to the usual crippling rib, solar plexus or liver shot. I have watched again. Thank god for the right outcome. Dubois a unified HW champ based off this one “illegal” shot is an absolute embarrassment

Post edited by walshb on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I think it was borderline tbh and don't really get the robbery claims. Shot looks like it lands pretty close to Usyk's bladder area. Doesn't help that the referee didn't outline what he was deeming as low before the fight.

As for Dubois, quitting off of a jab for the 2nd time is not a great look.

maybe you deem it a moot point but it can still be a discussion for others to engage in, there's not much else going on in the division

blueprint for fury has been laid out if he will take the fight early next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Well it is fair to say that Dubois was very hard done by. If Usyk threw that would it have been deemed illegal? Underdogs away from home have these kinda things happen to them. But he didn’t go out any win it anyway and winded up going out so tamely

Fury is quite a good digger to the body. Usyk would need to be very careful taking shots off 270 lbs here..

He wasn’t hard done by. He still had chances to try win and he couldn’t.

Seriously, far too much is being made of a shot that was deemed a foul.

Usyk recovered and beat him up and then Dubois quit. Hard done by my arse!!!

Also for a thread of nearly 400 pages on probably the worst division in the sport there needs to be much more talk about Bakhodir Jalolov. Another 1st round KO last night. Only 29 so pretty young for a heavyweight and probably the best prospect in the division. Hopefully he gets a decent step up fight soon.

Big monster. I think all wins of his (must be 10 at least) are KOs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭newhouse87

agree, the way usyk was breathing after the shot seemed more like a groin shot rather they a guy trying to catch his breath from being winded to the stomach. Dubois quit again, he will never amount to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This is a low blow

Yes 13 wins, 13 KO's although all against puddings so far. Hopefully gets better matched asap

Yep. Much clearer now. And referee acts in the moment. He hasn’t got replays and slo-mos to analyse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭newhouse87

100%, part of the glove is below belt, **** clowns on ifl tv questioning usyks manager like children. He showed same pic. Frank warren is as likable as eddie.

Advertisement