Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweden avoiding lockdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Emblematic

In terms of the overall area under the curve, Ireland is fairly high in the EU table. While we were the very highest for a only short period of time, we tended to stay fairly consistently near the top throughout the pandemic.

We're now paying for it, sadly, in terms of high excess deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭daithi7

I was only referring to Ireland's Health Service ('it') cos you brought it up - you clown!

As to the 2nd part of your post, as you will know, lockdown measures were in place in Ireland over a longer timespan than just 1 year. Secondly people's lifestyles, activity levels & habits were affected for far, far longer, and some are still to this very day!!

Hence why the new CMO came out earlier this year to urge people to get back to their lives post covid & get out & about more.

'Hello Again World'

Prof Smyth’s letter is part of a campaign titled “Hello Again World” launched with the Department of Health.

Health Minister Stephen Donnelly said: “I know that older people, in particular, paid a high price during the pandemic as they were the first group that was asked to cocoon. Understandably, they may feel nervous about re-engaging socially but it’s a very positive step for health as it helps combat loneliness.

Prof Smyth recalled the early stages of the pandemic.

Many older people, having been asked in the early stages of the pandemic to stay at home and cocoon, found the pandemic particularly isolating. In doing as you were asked, you will have missed out on family moments, or precious time with friends and neighbours, doing the things you always enjoyed. No one should underestimate the impact of this isolation or the sense of loneliness that comes from the sudden disconnect from family and community.

She also thanked older people for their efforts.

P.s. FYI

Post edited by daithi7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

My comment was in response to your post about ..

"...postponed or cancelled health screenings & elective procedures, are very likely to be leading causes of our unusually high excess death rates..."

Traditionally done by the health service. Though can be out sourced.

Lockdown measures were constantly being changed. Introduced and withdrawn. Trying to rewrite a narrative of being locked down in your house unable to exercise for 2+ years or to this day doesn't stand up to any scrutiny.

"...Prof Smyth recalled the early stages of the pandemic...." Clearly alludes that it was in stages, as in not constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

That is a statement of fact without foundation. Nobody has shown real excess deaths for Ireland i.e. age adjusted figures.

When the UK age adjusted their supposed excess death increase for 2022, there was no 'real' increase in excess deaths.

So not only have you not shown actual increase in excess deaths, you haven't shown any direct link from lockdown policies to excess deaths increase.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Funny how the guys who were falling over themselves to argue excess deaths are now doing the same trying to argue there wasn't any. 😁

• Advertisement

Nothing funny about it.

The longer the run of years you are comparing the excess deaths with, the more important it becomes to take into account demographic changes over that period.

If you are comparing against a baseline of 2015-2019, then 2020 would be more comparable - the more years you extend it, the less comparable it becomes.

Of course, why bother trying to understand how excess deaths are calculated when you can just make cheap shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Sconsey

So the facts have moved from 'clearly the strictest lockdown in Europe' to 'fairly high' and 'near the top'.

Seems like many still locked down. Perhaps always were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Blut2

So just to be clear, your reply when presented with statistics given by Oxford University and the Financial Times is "no, they're wrong, I know better"?

Right...

The chart, and statistics run from January 1st 2020 to the present day.

The excess deaths are against expected average for that stated country. Its not possible to have fewer excess deaths every year for decades, you're not understanding the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Blut2

You can add any 7 countries you want to the tool.

Ireland regularly had the strictest lockdowns in Europe from May 1st 2020 to June 25th 2020, Aug 9th to Sep 25th 2020, Oct 21 2020 to May 9th 2021, Sep 10 2021 to Dec 7th 2021. And for the rest of the period was never far from the top.

By any definition thats one of the strictest lockdowns in Europe.

• Advertisement

Your selective graphing has been queried on the thread by other posters.

Several posters have queried how the 'strictness' was established, as it does not reflect the reality of the lockdowns in 2020 across Europe. That is not a 'statistic', that is an assumption made by the authors which feeds into the statistics and reflects how granular a view of the data they took to build their statistics. Entirely valid points have been raised by multiple posters on how strict in reality Ireland's lockdown was versus France and Belgium.

What is the 'expected average' of excess deaths? It is just based on a previous baseline e.g. 2015-2019, or was the 'expected average' adjusted to take into account demographic changes since the baseline?

So it is possible to have fewer excess deaths every year using non age adjusted figures, it may simply reflect a shrinking population. It is possible to have higher excess deaths every year, it may simply reflect a growing and or aging population.

Age adjusting is an important step for valid comparisons especially the more years that have elapsed since the baseline. Because otherwise, there may be no real increase in excess deaths, or such demographic changes may be a significant factor in more people dying. It may just reflect an increase in the size of the population of highest mortality risk in the country - compared with the previous baseline for that country. The graph you have cited does not appear to be age adjusted - it just reflects a previous years baseline.

This has been pointed out to you multiple times on the thread already. This age adjusting is a basic concept in actuarial analysis of excess deaths.

Why is not possible to have lower average than other countries. Why is it not possible for that to be true for decades.

Eh no, you said Ireland clearly had the strictest lockdown in Europe, even looking at your skewed view of Europe (no Greece, no Italy, no Spain, no UK, etc. all countries that stricter lockdowns than us at times) in that diagram it is a real struggle to say Ireland was anywhere near the strictest. Try creating the graph with Ireland, Greece, France, Belgium, UK, Italy, Austria and your numbers fall apart.

Or better yet, look at the global tool on that site with the time slider, it shoes that the first week or two in January 2021, is the only time in the three year period when Ireland had a stricter lockdown than the rest of Europe. So I suppose you can say Ireland clearly had the strictest lockdown in Europe*.

*for about two weeks in Jan 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

There seems to be some confusion on Sweden`s excess deaths. Especially for 2020.

They had a very mild flu season end of 2019 and the beginning of 2020, with deaths even lower in the first 3 months of 2020 when compared to 2019. So in reality their excess deaths were all from the beginning of April until the 31st. December 2020.

I think we need to be careful when we say this or that country had a stricter lockdown than Ireland. Are we looking at peak periods or are we averaging over the entire Covid period. When we do this average, we see that Ireland comes fairly high in the rankings.

Is that strictness or duration \ length though. The same words seems to have been conflated to represent both. We could have had a longer period of restrictions but that does not mean stricter lockdown.

To me a lockdown is a stay at home order or curfew type situation, however some times it is also used to imply significant restrictions such as pubs being closed. But there's no way a "lockdown" without stay at home orders but e.g. pubs are closed is a 'strict' lockdown.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

I was pointing out the nonsense statement of another poster who said 'Ireland clearly had the strictest lockdown'. That is not the case, we neither had the 'highest strictness' nor the' longest strictness'.

When people make absolute statements like that, to backup some other point they are making, it undermines their whole argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,892 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I don`t see how it could be quantified under either heading when countries had various regional differences for the same periods of time.

Regional areas of Germany would be one example of such, as would Madrid in relation to the rest of Spain. Even Sweden as far as I recall had dufferences after their regional authorities regained the right to make their own decisions on health related issues.

Maybe, but did we have one of the highest levels of lockdown on aggregate?

(Very simple :Just measure & combine both factors (strictness & duration) for each month of covid & then average them for the whole period)

That's where afaik Ireland consistently comes out near the very top of measures. I.e. we had one of the longest & strictest lockdown regimes in aggregate.

And it's this measure & the net excess deaths (as a proxy for all the direct negative health effects of the disease) since covid & to this very day that really matter imho. (I.e. that gives a great indication of your bang for buck on lockdown measures or otherwise for preventing avoidable deaths & unnecessary adverse health effects )

Sweden seems to indicate that most authorities & governments got this balance vway wrong I.e. the cure was worse than the disease.

Right, so you are coming up with a measure that the experts don't seem to think is relevant. The stat you are looking for does not seem to exist so I would question how relevant it is. If you need to come up with your own measure to justify your point I don't think you really have a point.

• Advertisement

That is indeed true, but you have to go with whatever data and measures are available. By the metric under discussion, Ireland is was one of the more stringent countries in the EU when the area under the curve is measured.

In addition, I think the practice is that if a measure was introduced in one region, it was counted as affecting the whole country for the purposes of the index.

While this intruduces inaccuracies, these inaccuracies will tend to push up the score for countries with regional polices such as the example you gave, Germany.

Ireland did not have much in the way of regional policies (there were some) so should be lower in the ranking for that reason but we are not. This furthers the case that Ireland had strict policies by EU standards.

It is the combination of the two we need I think. The area under the curve as it were that probably gives the best indication.

There are, of course, issues with using any kind of index. How, for example, are the different components of it weighted.

But this difficulty is present also where someone is using a snapshot of the index at a particular time in order to argue that Ireland did not have a strict lockdown.

It's simply the area under the curve, just taking out vaccinations as they are another item entirely imho.

Lockdown measures and vaccination programmes are interdependent but are ultimately separate things. This is obvious surely!?

Not obvious at all. Should this be excluded from 'stringency' index?

Sweden will require visitors from other Nordic nations to have a vaccine pass to cross the border.

Is that a strict lockdown measure?

Yeah you still don't understand so I will spell it out as best I can and link you to the source.....at some points in time over the last three years, lockdown measures varied depending on if you were vaccinated or not. The red line in the chart I shared measures the weighted average of 'strictness' for both vaccinated and non vaccinated people in each country. The same chart has a total of three plots for each country: strictness for non-vaccinated, strictness for vaccinated and a weighted average of the two. I have no clue why you are talking about removing vaccination programmes?

Since government policies may differ by vaccination status, a stringency index is calculated for three categories: those who are vaccinated; those who are non-vaccinated; and a national average which is weighted based on the share of people that are vaccinated.

OK, so it looks like the area under the curve is the relevant metric to measure versus adjusted excess deaths.

E.g. a bit like this study, where Sweden's overall covid response is rated very, very highly!!!

"...Unusual among comparable countries, Sweden never shuttered its kindergartens, elementaries or middle schools — and only briefly kept older students out of classrooms. It also refrained from most other restrictions, generally opting for recommendations over prohibitions...."

" ...The Swedish experience offers lessons for the next pandemic. Public health is a value, but so is education and the right to self-determination. Treating people as mature and responsible citizens paid off for Sweden. And other nations saw it. As the pandemic entered its second and third year, ever more countries gradually — and without calling it that — “became Swedish.”.... "

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

a bit like this study

That's not a study, it's an opinion piece by an economics journalist.

What else happened in the second and third year... vaccines were rolled out. And Sweden became more like those other countries. With vaccine passes.

There's nothing to say that following Sweden's model which was dependent on those responsible citizens, it's hospitals capacity AND also the fact that its neighbours locked down... would have Swedish results.

The UK or England at least tried something like it, and had to abandon it.

There was a convergence however I think it's probably more true to say that as time went on and restrictions were gradually relaxed other countries changed and became more like Sweden rather than Sweden changing to be more like other countries. Sweden, after all, never had much in the way of restrictions.

• Advertisement

Again the words missing from your posts are: vaccination, vaccine rollout, vaccine passes. I could also add Omicron.

Sweden became more like other countries too.

Needing a vaccine pass to enter a country is a restriction.

Advertisement