Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallbladder removal

Options
  • 10-01-2023 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭

I was in hospital yesterday for a pre-assessment procedure for gallbladder removal. Just wondering how long before I will be called for the actual operation? I am getting it done in the Mercy Hospital Cork. If anyone reading has had it done. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I had mine done in Dublin in 2019 about two weeks after the assessment. It was done as a day case. I was very nervous of the general anaesthetic but the staff were so nice I was totally reassured. Feel free to ask any more questions about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭gipi

I had mine out last summer, about 2 weeks after the assessment, same as the previous poster.

My op was in the afternoon (although I'd been in the hospital from about 9.30am), so was kept overnight as I was quite groggy late into the evening.

All went well, I had over 200 gallstones in the gallbladder! I was a bit uncomfortable for a couple of weeks as the keyhole incisions healed, but all has been fine since.

Good luck!

When you say pre assessment do you mean you met with the surgeon to discuss what needed to be done and begin the process of booking you in for surgery?

Just in my experience there’s the consultation with the surgeon (who will decide if you need it or not) and then the pre assessment which happens a week or two before your scheduled date to brief you on the process, any anaesthesia they’ll use, healing, looking after post surgery etc.

obviously would make a difference if you’re public or private also, but what I will say, the HSE has cancelled all elective surgeries during the current wave they’re battling so I wouldn’t be holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭lukin

I had swabs taken and filled in a questionnaire. I was weighed and measured. Bloods taken and an ECG analysis done. Met with a doctor afterwards then.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Your usually in 10 + days after that's been done , did you not get a date

• Advertisement

What is strange is they didn’t give you a date? I recommend you contact the hospital and ask them, usually you’d be seen a week or two before surgery but it would have been scheduled.

I had to have a hernia repair last year I was given a date in October and a week or two before I had to attend the pre assessment clinic, it’s odd you don’t seem to have a date set at all? Maybe due to elective surgeries being postponed/cancelled, but still, strange they asked you to come in for pre assessment if that’s the case 😅

I didn't expect to be told the date for the procedure on the day of the pre-assessment. I am happy in the knowledge that it will be done soon. I know now I have had the pre-assessment it won't be too long before I have the organ removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Just a word of warning, I had mine removed two years ago. The pain in my shoulders (a side effect of the gas used to inflate the space around your gall bladder) was unreal, have some strong pain killers and some heat pads ready just in case. Others may tell you to amend your diet post removal, I had a good diet but I couldn't beat family history and genetics. I have no real problems with food these days, I mind what I eat (I kinda did anyway) but you should have a consultation with a dietitian. I wasn't called back for post op checks, I was considered at little risk for complications, so hopefully you might not need to go back either. I had no problems with the small incision scars, the one under my sternum is the most noticeable.

As to your question, re time of OP, I went in via the ED in Beaumont and had mine out 6 weeks later after a 10 day stay in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Squatman

dont sweat the general anasthetic, its the coolest thing ever. you have a great sleep, wake up and its done.

• Advertisement

More or less the same here. I think I took painkillers for a day. No issues afterward with diet etc. The incision at my navel took longer to heal than the others - minor in the scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tony H

i had a pre assessment done in the mercy about 6 months ago for a gall bladder op and still no date , mine was a little different though as im having another op done at the same time , apparently the waiting list for gallbladder ops in Mallow is a lot quicker , what surgeon do you have , I have Criostoir O Sulleabhain and Shane Killeen , hope they get to you soon , Mercy is a great hospital

Yeha Criostoir O Sulleabhain was the name of the doctor who referred me. That was on the 3 November 2021. It was a youngish female doctor who spoke to me after the pre-assessment the last day, I don't remember her name though. I was offered a pre-assessment 12 months ago but I had to turn it down because of work commitments. I wasn't going to turn it down this time. I got the gallbladder pain a couple of time in the last year or so but it went away after about half an hour. When I got it before I had to go to A&E and get morphine and all that craic and it would last for 24 hours in all.

I have adjusted my diet since and am taking a couple of Gaviscon tablets every day, I don't know if that is helping. I'd rather have the yoke taken out just to be on the safe side; the pain was unreal, I'd hate to go through that again. I don't mind waiting a while for it to be done, there are others in more urgent need of operations and they should be given priority.

The doc did tell me though that even when the gallbladder is removed there could be gallstone(s) stuck in the duct that goes into it so I don't know if that means I can still get the pain? Also can they remove any gallstones that are there during the op? I didn't think to ask the doc that at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Anyone with a gallbladder issue or no gallbladder please research into purified bile salt supplementation.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I had mine out in 2017 at the South Infirmary. I can't remember exactly how long is was between the pre assessment procedure and the surgery but it wasn't too long. Thankfully the procedure went well and I didn't have any soreness or anything like that after the surgery or since. I was back to work (office) the day after the surgery. I was so glad it was out after a year of misery.

Got the call on Friday; I am getting it removed this Tuesday but I have to go in for a pre-assessment on Monday. But I did one of them already on the 1st January. My sister said to me they must have made a mistake; it doesn't seem right to be called for another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,033 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I had been in hospital for a couple of weeks with acute pancreatitis last year (I am 41, it's not diet related, barely drink - they looked for a long time, tests etc all they came up with was small amount of sludge), home for about a month then back in for a day procedure to get gallbladder out.

The op was no big deal at all. All ok for about 6 months.

But unfortunately I was back in hospital with pancreatitis again last week. In for about 4 days.

They did a whole tonne of tests, scans etc. They cannot figure out the cause, load of pain killers and fluids, now back home, I am going in for some genetic tests in about 6 weeks.

So just be aware if you get your gallbladder out it might not fix everything.

The hospital did not make a mistake they need to check vitals, do a covid swab (might not anymore though) and you’ll speak with the anaesthetist.

Yeah that’s a pre consultation you had.

Pre assessment is different 😅 I hope you did not miss your appointment anyway or discussed with the hosp because I missed one of those apps before and my surgery was immediately cancelled.. trust me.. don’t miss!!

Yeah you are right, I rang before I left today to make sure :)

• Advertisement

It's done anyway; had the op Tuesday last week and got discharged yesterday. Back at work today. They weren't able to do it by keyhole because my organs were squished in too close to one another. So they had to open me up and that meant they had to keep me in a bit longer after. I was fasting from the Monday night before the op to the Wednesday evening after it but I got a bad dose of the runs on Thursday. I was starving on Wed evening so I ate a few Maltesers that I got from a vending machine. Then I ate a small easy peeler orange later. For the second half of Thursday and all Thursday night I had the runs and a terrible pain in my bowels. It eased on Friday eventually.

What I ate probably caused it but I asked for a cup of tea on Wednesday evening a few times and I never got it. If I had got the cup of tea I would not have eaten that other stuff. Probably my own fault all the same though.

I am grand now, still obviously a bit sensitive where I was opened. Very happy with how I was looked after. I suffered a bit alright but I knew that was coming. The tube up my nose was the worst part and the trouble I had on the Thursday. I have to go back in in a couple of weeks time for a check-up, that's all.

Good to hear it all went well and you’re starting to feel better. No surprise the sugary & acidic food sent your stomach into reverse though!

At least it wasn’t followed on with a gallbladder attack!! Best of luck for the future OP!

Thanks. My relationship with Maltesers will never be the same again after this though I think 😀

One thing that I just want to mention is that I got a rash from the sticking plaster that was on the incision. When I left the hospital I was given a few spare plasters. When I had them all used I bought some from my pharmacy. But my skin underneath the sticking part got all red and sore (dermatitis I think it is called) . I don't know if that was because I used a different plaster. From then on I cut off the sticky part of the plaster and just left the padded part. I then put strips of elastoplast on that to hold it on my skin (so there was not a lot of sticking plaster coming into contact with my skin).

I also got a cream from the pharmacy for dermatitis. The soreness and redness is gone now. Besides that I notice even a small amount of physical work wears me out. I washed the car this morning and had to lie down for a few hours afterwards as I was exhausted.

I was back at work the day after I was discharged; I work in IT (from home) so that made it possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 AliceN

Had mine out 6 months ago. The first two days I experienced shoulder pain, but Tylenol worked well for me (fortunately, I ordered it from the Canadian Pharmacy in advance). The abdomen was sore as well as the small incision sites. In general, I was off work for 3 weeks because I work a busy unit but I felt better in about a week. Now I have some food issues, but I've learned to eat small meals and limit fatty or really sugary things.

Post edited by AliceN on

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭beeker1

Absolutely! I remember those nights on my elbows & knees for 12+ hours , the GA is gift , next thing you'll hear is you're name been called and jobs done ! I've no problem eating vindaloos or really spicy food I prepare , it's crisps that will cause mild reflux but everything else is on the menu , consultant said I'd have to take nexium for the foreseeable future , not so ! After the hospital discharges you , x strength Tylenol is sufficient, get it done !

• Registered Users Posts: 35 AvalonEnaid

I suggest you prep your bed now as you will not be able to sleep on your back at first. You'll need to prepare it so that you can relax your head but still be sitting in a slightly reclined position.

After the operation you're going to feel "bloated", this is because of the gas they pump into you to inflate your chest cavity + abdomen so that they can operate easier.

The gas that is pumped into your body pushes your chest cavity upwards which then presses against your shoulder. This ends up pinching a phrenic nerve ending which is painful as all hell. That was by far the worst pain, everything else was just discomfort.

Simply cross your arms above your head when you feel the pain coming. It'll stop your phrenic nerve from pinching!

You probably already know this but stick to super light foods with no spices etc.. etc.. for the first couple of days. To be honest you wont be feeling super hungry, I subsisted on toasted white bread only :)

If you're bothered by the scars then I recommend bio-oil, apply it liberally and often.

After the 4th day you'll be fairly mobile albeit walking like an old man

I am getting better every day, I have taken the dressing off the wound, I don't wear it anymore. The incision was 5 inches long; from the top of my rib cage down to just below my navel. It was fairly itchy for a while but not so bad now. I have a noticeable scar, maybe it might heal a bit after time and won't look so bad.

If he had stopped just above my navel it wouldn't look so bad but he had to do what he had to do I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭beeker1

Jesus , they cut you 5 inches, that's what they did to my mother in the 80's I've got 3 very small incisions all about 5mm , I suppose keyhole is the term , I'd horrendous bruising around my naval but it will dissipate in time , you'll be able to eat everything in moderation, you'll never have to experience that terrible chest pain again so the surgery is worth it , all the best !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Hi folks

Just wondering how all of you are getting on post op?

Has anybody been taking bile salts to help with digestion?

Advertisement