Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gallbladder removal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭lukin

I am grand thanks, the scar has healed a good bit, my chest hair has grown back so it covers it up almost completely 😀. I have had no problems with digestion. I did have a bit of discomfort in my chest for a while after the op after I had a big meal but that was just my body getting used to not having a gallbladder anymore. I am back to the way I was before the op more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Ah that's positive to hear! I was due to get mine out today but last week all flared up and I got a blockage. A waiting on another MRCP MRI before surgery can proceed to see if blockage has resolved itself.

I am reading so much conflicting info you can't do this, you can't do that but then so many people are like I am able to eat what I want!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

I cant eat Red Meat burgers or have "full fat" lattes since ive had mine out. Probably just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

Have you tried any digestive enzymes to see does it help with the red meat?

Steak is my fav meat so have purchased Solgar digestive enzymes, they appear to be only ones with Ox Bile which according to Dr Google is the best bile supplement post GB removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lmfh123

Just wondering if anyone got gallbladder removal in TUH and how long can I expect to be waiting on urgent list ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

had a pre-assessment meeting yesterday (follow on from hospitalisation few weeks after arriving in mater ED with acute attack).

long of the short, i told them I'm not ready for op. 6-8 weeks waiting once on the list.

i just didnt feel informed enough. So they proceeded to tell the a range of medical facts, whilst not engaging with any of my views or concerns.

Removing the gallbladder has no effect on my lifestyle or diet. fact, dont listen to other ppls hearsay.

You had one attack , you are by definition at higher risk to have another worse attack (and you will be back). But no explanation why the risk is higher.

and a few other...

So even if i had been open for surgery at this stage i decided they are not the ppl i want to operate on me.

On the way out they handed me a brochure about keyhole and it alks about treatment options and the need to discuss them.. only i wasn't told of any treatment options (and why they may not apply)...

Could anyone with positive experience in Dublin PM me please?

I may go private, and pay extra to be told the same thing, but sugar coated and with cherry on top. they may even pretended my concerns mattered.

But feeling to be involved in my own health is important to me.. not sure whether i actually am :-)

Once it's out, i can't put it back in..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

Having had mine out. I did have two attacks, the first time i didnt know what it was, but despite being in excrutiating pain for 2 days, i eventually shrugged it off. about a month later i had another attack. worse this time, couldnt even stand up, after 3 days in pain I went to my doc, spend 3 days in hospital and then had it out. all happened so fast. The reason I had another attack is the Gall Stones merged into a golf ball size one. Obvously that cant be passed and it got inflamed. This is common. If you have an attack, basically you do need it out as the attack is the stone trying to be forced out and it cannot.

There is no impact to Lifestyle, but there defintely was an impact on my diet. I have had to cut out full fat dairy and burgers. After that all good and i havent looked back. 10 months on from my op and i can bearly see my scars from the keyhole.

The only reason why they wouldnt do keyhole is if the surgery becomes massively complicated to remove it. Then you would end up with a roughly 4 inch scar on your front.

please don’t take this the wrong way but even had the surgeon explained in striking detail the procedure and et all would you even have understood him/her?

You’re not medically trained and I’m sorry to say your post comes across very arrogant. “They’re not the people I want to operate on me”…. what??

It’s a simple day procedure that I only imagine the surgical team has carried out 100’s of times a week! You’re not on the books for Open Heart surgery in fairness.

What you were told is what you needed to be told. Why does it matter what medical reason there is for attacks becoming more frequent after the initial? Like seriously, why does it?

It sounds to me like you’re a nervous patient looking for excuses to delay the operation, but I can promise you the pain you will experience and the frequency it will happen as time passes will make you regret these types of decisions I think.

I really hope I haven’t come across the wrong way here but I can’t lie it really rubs me the wrong way that you refused the surgery for stupid reasons like the above. My partner started suffering with gallbladder symptoms while pregnant so couldn’t be operated on and all in all between waiting for pregnancy and birth to be finished, the recovery after, etc etc she was waiting almost 18 months.

The reason why the attacks became more frequent wasn’t much of a concern when you were spending nearly every week in hospital on painkiller IV drips..

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

no offence taken.

But you know nothing about me and my abilities to understand detailed medical information.

I'm not a nervous patient, but I'd rather be comfortable with my decision. Since when is there something wrong with looking for a second opinion. instead of what felt like being railroaded into it (and that was how I felt during the appointment, very subjective)

I' m not declining the operation, it is inevitable, but i feel not being informed enough to be at ease with it.

If i had posted similar experience about walking away from a builder that i wasnt prepared to deal with in DIY forum, I wonder would I have been labeled the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I am on a waiting list for gallbladder removal - I have had a few flareups the most recent one landed me in hospital for two weeks, seriously ill, with a bad infection. It is unlikely I will be operated on this year, as the list is so long in my area - I am a public patient another attack could be extremely serious - can I take your place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 FurrySlippers

So, had the OP 2 weeks ago, and staples out today. Still a bit of weeping from the wound (open surgery, not "keyhole" ), so, while there pretty much no pain after about 4 days, I am now just dealing with wound healing. Which I forgot how slow it was.

Generally, strength was very good before, so I am basically "better than I really am". So have to force myself to do nothing for the sake of the wound healing process.

Food seems fine. Ate light for first few days, now eating normal with no issues.

Advertisement