Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 mcauleydjm

I had a similar issue where the robot kept changing direction all the time with similar grass/moss setup.

One solution is to remove the black bumper from the bottom of mower to increase clearance. Worked for me.

You can see it removed here too - I also have taken off the front comb to see if it runs for longer without clogging when cutting in the wet:

I'm still cutting at the max height (60mm). I don't think my lawn would allow for any lower without prepwork.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

60s quite high I cut mine to 40mm. Prep work not needed. I've done nothing to the lawn for 4 years bar let the mower mulch it all of the time. This has nearly cleared every ounce of what was used to be quite a mossy spongey mess into a very lush soft green lawn. It's night and day. And it's entirely down to the mower constantly trimming the top and dropping it into the grass. It's promoted the grass growth no end and eliminated other weeds.

Thats good to know, I hope mine will head that way too. I have only been running the robot mower for about 5 or 6 weeks now so probably a little early to see the full benefit, but it does look better than being scalped/muddied by the rideon. By prep-work I meant taking out all the lumps/ bumps/ holes/ roots etc from the lawn/field - not any prep wrt pre-cutting. Perhaps I may be able to drop the cut height eventually, so you found that a shorter cut leads to better elimination of all the weeds & moss?

I think it opens up the space for grass cutting allowing grass to mulch and cover and move in on the weeds.ive seen might go from bumpy springy mess to tight lush green. Yes it will take some seasons to get to that but I've done nothing to it. No scarifying, feed or seed.

Of course if you want golf course finish you'd have to go the xtra mile with work. But mine looks and feels the part whilst also retaining a normal lawn mix look to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Fantastic, you're a star! It's working away now without any issues and going in straighter lines too!

• Advertisement

Good to hear it worked - can always re-attach it once the grass level gets lower if needed I suppose.

I've noticed mine now gets stuck on a raised section of playhouse as it doesn't hit the bumper and back off any more, it just continues to run with the wheels spinning in-situ. I'll probably map out the playhouse eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭bauney

Hi all,

Will a husky 450x manage to travel through a 2ft wide gap? This gap is about 12ft long and is about 2ft wide. It is joining the main lawn to a smaller piece

This gap is not grass (currently mulch but will lay astro turf).

Would it help to lay a guide wore through this gap?

B

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jippers

Did you get rapid return trianngles to work successfully?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

A bit unrelated but have you ordered replacement blades for the LIDL mower?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Anybody know of a good way to protect exposed cables?

I'd like to strim around the docking station but where my cables enter the back of the unit are exposed when the leave the ground and don't want to damage them. A couple of other places where the cable is leaving one garden and going to another are also exposed to strimming. I'd like to protect those also. Probably a total length of 2 or 3 m at most. I can disconnect at the docking station to put some sort of sleeve on on but can't really at the other locations as it's in the middle of the line

• Advertisement

Not unrelated at all - this was my next port of call.

I had read that the 1000 sqm bot uses M5 screws & ordered the ones I thought were identified as being suitable but TBH it was a quick click and buy - I didn't check the screw thickness etc

What arrived has presumably an M4 screw - neither the blades nor screws are suitable for the PMRDA-20_Li

The link to the ones I ordered copied below, however the product listed now looks different (not gold colour).

DO NOT ORDER THESE FOR THE PMRDA 20-Li A1

I will have a look for compatible blades and post again if I find some that work. Another youtube poster suggested that blades for the Honda Miimo may fit, certainly the hole size in the blade is bigger so that looks like a good start.

John

Take out the base station, dig up the grass around it. Put down black fabric weed control and then put down stones/pebbles. 1/2 msq should be fine. Don't continue as you are as you're creating more Work for yourself. And potential for slugs etc to get into the base station is higher if its sitting on soil and grass. They'll eat your PCB controller in the chargestation.

Ask me how I know :P

Better off clearing it and future proofing the area around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I must check base station for slugs actually as the rest of the garden is riddled with them for some reason!

regarding wiring. I use round up rather than strimmer where they are.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ULMarc

I don't have an autonomous mower myself. But I was only thinking about this the other day. Is it common to schedule a mower, say, at night. For the sake of not attracting the interests of opportunists passing by.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I did it for a while but found alot of the grass sticking to the mower as the grass is damp at night. Its not the end of the world, it will still do the job but just decided to switch it back to daylight hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭denismc

I used to run mine at night but ever now and again it would run over a fallen twig or pine cone and the noise would set off the neighbours dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,316 ✭✭✭jmreire

While cutting the grass today on my 2 year old Honda 1724, the white battery icon came on, and stayed on so I stopped cutting and put it in the shed. After awhile I checked it and it had gone off. The manual does not give too much information about it, so anyone have experienced this problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭ra0044

I own both the Einhell and the latest Lidl machine. I use them for different lawns. Have to say the Einhell mower is far superior to the Lidl unit. Both in build quality and cut. The Einhell is a much more substantial and better built machine.

I didn't even think of interchanging the batteries. I will have to take a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭limktime

That's good to know, thanks. I have only just started looking. I have a PMRA 20-li a1 and found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAigpXXsxOU&ab_channel=EMStieBUBy

I'm hoping that I don't have to resort to that but he does mention, as you did, that the Honda Miimo blades fit the PMRDA (but not the PMRA). Specifically these https://www.ebay.de/itm/133873119674?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=707-127634-2357-0&ssspo=3uqY6cpaTIi&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=IA6N4xqrS5C&var&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 raidergt

I bought one of the parkside mowers in lidl it worked fine for about a week then I got a message saying it had gone outside the boundary by the time I got home it had switched off and now won't switch back on has this happened anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭denismc

Sound's like a dead battery, if was sitting on a low battery for a few days it probably shut down to prevent a full discharge of the remaining battery.

Have you tried to put it back in the charging station for a few hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 raidergt

Yes battery is fully charged and the screen on the mower says did say when it was charging but it just won't switch on I'm waiting on a call back from the service center with a week but at this point I'm half thinking of taking it back and buying either the einhell one or the worx landroid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Thud

Tip for Worx owners, i was away for a few weeks grass grew a bit and mower getting clogged a lot with longer wet grass, I took off the the blade guard (four screws underneath the blade plate) and it has solved the problem. It also means twigs can't stuck in the blade guard which can make a lot of noise

• Registered Users Posts: 15 HelmsDeep

Reading this thread has been an excellent resource, so thanks a lot guys/gals!

I'm pretty satisified with the idea of a Worx Landroid model and am going to pull the trigger.

My only question is that my garden is 575-600m2, if even that.

Would a M700 model suffice for this? Or do I need to pony up for the L800 or L1000?

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭bunderoon

This has crossed my mind a few times. Also as with leafs starting to fall, it is a getting clogged much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭bunderoon

Just to update this.

I bought a handled AM radio and tried to locate the damage but couldnt. It would have been more effective if the wire was broken but since it wasnt, it was near impossible to hear any signal differences.

I had to approach this another way. My lawn is like a large dickie bow shape with the base near the narrowing center section. So I intentionally cut the far side wire at half way where the far end narrows towards the center and attached a new length of cable from the base to that cut. Effectively cutting the lawn in two. I tested the new shorted left boundary ring. Wire missing still there.

Then removed that wire joint and put it on the right handside of the cut and again, made a new boundary ring on for the right hand side of the lawn. Bingo. The robot error message went away and the robot starting cutting normally, albeit inside the right half of the lawn new boundary. OK, so there is an issue somewhere on the left 500sqm of lawn..

Where I have small loose stone edging, I replaced that entire 50ft section of cable, going from the base to 5 feet past the far end of the edging. I read that stones can damage untrenched cables with foot / wheel barrow traffic even though my lawn didnt look like it was a risk as the lawn swallowed up the cable a few weeks after the installation. Anyway, connected the base and again it worked. No errors!

Removed the temp cable which split the lawn in two. 3m'd every cut connection (bought new ones on Amazon) as I went; testing with the robot after every 3m repair I did. No problems now, running like it was brand new. Marked and made note of all 3m joins.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

I’m looking into buying a mower and it sounds as if the Worx is the way to go. My garden is 3000m2…. What would users recommend re: model to handle that area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I have a Worx, and one thing I would say about it, is it is very prone to getting stuck and having to be moved.

Had a robomow beforehand and it rarely got stuck, but the Worx, using the same garden profile gets stuck regularly and leaves troughs and holes in the garden and perimeter. I have now at least 5 areas in my garden where I have had to place plastic mesh netting on the grass and peg it down to give the Worx traction so it won't get stuck, and I expect to have to add a few more.

Wet summer, yes, but not overly impressed with it's performance/traction issues.

• Advertisement

I'd consider putting sand in those areas. Traction is three things. Bad drainage, troughs or incline. Sand should help all three without impacting growth.

Advertisement