Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is How Easy it is to Rob your Pride & Joy

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

I’m not from Donegal no. Now that’s a silly comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭TedBundysDriver

Strap an ATM to your motorbike, the Gardai would be interested in solving the crime then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Fairly unsurprising video. This has been rampant for years. You have to spend a few quid to try to protect your bike from being nicked, unfortunately. The gardai are under-resourced, under-paid and under-trained and consequently fecking useless.

I have a monitored tracker and an angle grinder-resistant lock on mine (along with a big chain and disc locks). The lock and tracker are expensive and there's a fee for the monitored tracker but was worth it for peace of mind. Especially when I lived in Dublin 1 and the bike was in an underground car park.

This is the video that convinced me to buy the lock - think there are a few brands making angle grinder-resistant ones now. Those lads would be at it a long time and get nowhere with just the hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Not when you look at the stats concerning road deaths in Donegal. 27% of people who die in car crashes in Donegal don't wear seat belts. They are soft in the head up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

Not sure what that is to do with bike theft but are you saying they died because they didn’t wear a seat belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

You’re the one who derailed the conversation to complain about Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I have a little Tractive GPS tracker for my dog. On offer for €30 at the moment and €5 a month sub (it was €4) if you pay for 2 years. Battery life is 1 week plus but they also do a larger one with 1 month battery life. Apparently they work very well with cars and bikes so have ordered one for the bike. I'll probably hardwire it in and hide it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,156 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not sure where in the dog you'd hide that 🤪

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Are there any tips for making a bike more secure? Apart from make it as difficult as possible, with a disc lock and decent chain??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,718 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

A ground anchor. Alarmed disc lock...

Use a cover... aparently it's a big deterent, they'll just go to the next bike thats less hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Mine is locked in the garage at home and I a secure underground garage at work.

My son has bought a bike which he’ll be using for commuting into college, and it’s the parking at college but that I’m concerned for it.