Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 g g murpho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

4x weekly MSP and 3x weekly DEN to be announced tomorrow.

Travel agent got a invite with a "cryptic riddle"

https://twitter.com/TravelExpert_IE/status/1691837243365708183?t=ViK53CPSKnXI5S-zB9V9ZQ&s=19

Post edited by Tenger on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,116 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The best part is that photo was for the announcment of services which never actually happened due to COVID!

Also very confusing as to how anyone hopes to compel private businesses to change the airport they operate into? Pie in the sky stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Noxegon

It won't stop them trying. Remember the Shannon stopover requirement?

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Delta and Aer Lingus both announce MSP on the same day. That could spread the demand a bit thin?

https://news.delta.com/delta-launch-dublin-service-minneapolis-saint-paul

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Once EI get the XLR on it, they’ll be the more attractive for corporate contracts as they’ll be daily year round vs 5 x weekly seasonal with DL. Pricing on Y will be interesting in S25 assuming both are still on the route then, an easy to fill, fuel efficient XLR vs a fully paid off B763.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Depending on the US company, a lot of them require you to fly a US carrier & D1 is a far superior product to EI's J, so I don't think it'll be that easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Any rumours of what UA and AA will do?? UA were supposed to start SFO but it got canned because of covid but they still have the slots

AA are still short on airframes, they announced 5 new European routes today, but cut 4 others to make them happen. DFW-DUB goes year round and CLT-DUB season gets extended.

The UA SFO route was to be reliant on tech sector corporate travel. That industry took a hammering in recent times. Given the roaring success of AA on DFW, IAH might be the most likely next route from UA. They just ordered 100 firm 787s with options on 100 more, so they’ll need to send those airframes somewhere!

Then there’s the XLRs they have on order potentially from geographically closer hubs.

Post edited by HTCOne on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Macrophage 449

Yes think they annocued their expansion in Dublin in April. Surprised they failed to reinstate PHL-SNN route.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

They don't have an aircraft for that specific mission until the A321XLRs come online, the B788 is too much plane for PHL-SNN.

I think they'll bring it back once they have those aircraft, but they can't really announce it until they have a delivery date with Airbus, which they likely don't given the delays on those frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭lordleitrim

I read on some of the commentary yesterday that Denver was the second highest unserved US route for point to point pax of 38,000 annually after Las Vegas so I'm glad to see that gap filled.

Seems mad then that MSP is getting 2 carriers serving that route when it doesn't really seem like it's justified. Delta's move was very Ryanair like in attempting to go head to head with EI. Would EI have gone ahead with the resumption if it knew Delta were also planning a service?

Given Delta got the slots almost a year ago, I'm sure EI were well aware this was coming. Delta almost certainly announced it earlier than planned in response though.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Pity Delta didn't launch Detroit or Salt Lake City instead. The more choice the better.

In fairness, the amount of US options we have now compared to even 10 years ago is amazing. The only downside are the poor facilities in DUB.

One thing I would love to see is a proper hook up with American in Miami (in the same terminal). Seems a wasted opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mrmanor

I would absolutely love for Salt Lake City to be an option one day. My all time favourite spot. For now, I’ll continue using Heathrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

How would this even work in practice? An airline would signal its interest in running a Dublin-X route, and the government says "No, you have to fly from Knock to X"?. There's a real "The Thing fits in your batmobile" feel to it.

I can't imagine EU law looking too kindly on it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭moonshy2022

Don’t fall for the Sinn Fein/Politician that will say anything to buy some votes at the next election BS. Far too many people are gullible for this crap and sell their votes for the nonsense they hear. How often has a politician ever come through on the crap they said preelection….post election ?!

The government simply CANNOT tell a private company that they must do X, Y or Z. That private company will simply say “No, that’s not where we want to do business” and won’t start the route.

Airlines aren’t charities, if there was a market for a route from Cork or Shannon etc there would be one. How many flights have started from either airport and been cancelled after a year because they aren’t being supported by locals ?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭moonshy2022

Also most European countries are dominated by ONE large airport and at most dependent on size of the country a second one.

Denmark-Copenhagen

Belgium-Brussels

Finland-Helsinki

Norway-Oslo

Austria-Vienna

Czechia-Prague

Hungary-Budapest

This isn’t a unique phenomenon, it’s just reality.

The last time the government/West interfered they created the Shannon stopover. I mean talk about backwards, that was just crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

I don’t disagree at all. But at the time the Shannon stopover wasn’t as crazy as it seems today.

It was from an era pre-deregulation.

Air routes and airfares were decided and controlled by governments as part of bilateral agreements.

Shannon was originally designed as one of the first ports of call for transatlantic air routes. Technology at the time warranted this. It wasn’t dreamt out of thin air. It developed with the industry and eventually the industry evolved past it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It may have been a technical decision for about the first 10 years, but it was a political decision for the remaining 50 years. It looked as crazy then as it does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

Just curious what would you like to see improved in Dublin? I use it quite a bit for the US and while it is busy at times I still think it's a lot better than most US airports. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the place but overall I much prefer it to a lot of airports around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Maybe I am being too fussy but it can be cramped post US preclearance.

On arrival, I have had to wait for a gate for 20/30 minutes a few times with no sign of more facilities to stop that happening. I suppose this can apply to non US flights too.

Again, maybe being picky but we should aim for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

I hear you on the space post USCBP alright, it can get a bit mental down there some days for sure. I don't think it's fussy to look for a seat to sit down while waiting and that can be a struggle alright. I am lucky and get to go into the lounge and it can be no better in there, and the food offering is not great. I always thought the place was too small but the daa as usual did not look very far into the future, but I do find the argument between the daa and the pilots union over the current size interesting. The daa want to make it bigger and the pilots are saying it's not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Who care what the pilots think... its not their money or their decision... its just pathetic power plays...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Paul2019

The ruinous Shannon Stopover - Sinn Fein want to try that again?

That policy is in the top 5 stupidest things the Irish State ever perpetrated on the Irish Economy.

If Sinn Fein are thinking along those lines then it suggests that they have zero knowledge about either aviation or the economy.

I can only assume they are similarly poorly informed about everything else that they have a simple solution for.

The media these days really are a waste of bandwidth - worse than that, the media helps to spread this kind of ignorance to a mass audience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The Shannon stopover was not actually mentioned by anyone other than posters here. From what I can see.

A local politician from the SNN area made a comment about encouraging more flights from SNN as opposed to the already crowded Dublin.

The man is literally telling his local voters what they want to here which is the exact same thing all politicians do across this island.

Will it happen, no, Will politicians continue to spout this kind of narrative, yes .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭john boye

That's the thing though, the fact that they consistently put this tosh out knowing that there's no fear of them being corrected or challenged on it. Just another example of our pliant media who just want a couple of lines to quote and that'll be that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Paul2019

I sometimes wonder if media people are afraid of their interviewees.

Failure to ask a simple question like ... "how would that work?" ... seems hard to explain.

The voters are being badly short changed by their news media if charlatans and their quackery are allowed to pedal nonsense like that.

I'm guessing that neither the politician nor the interviewer has much understanding of the topic.

Advertisement