Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin routes news and general chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 chasing_ghosts

While electric aircraft seem promising, imo, the delivery of a certified turboprop that can do regional sectors like the ES-30 (Heart Aerospace) is at least 15 years away. There's a lot of work regarding safety and battery efficiency that needs to be done.

When that day comes, I'd love to see the likes of ORK/SNN/WAT serving Dublin, if costs are as low as advertised (?).

F

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Good luck with getting the essential infrastructure in place to facilitate charging, according to the web site, it will be a 30 minute fast charge, the cables needed to provide that level of power won't be lightweight, and putting them in will be an interesting challenge.

It won't be a quick and easy job to upgrade the network to provide that level of power to multiple charging points on the ramp, even more so at regional airports where there may well be a capacity issue on the grid to the area.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Does this claimed 200km include sufficient contingency and holding fuel? I wonder what distance the diversionary field is from the destination? If the aircraft is flying DUB-ORK and another aircraft becomes disabled on the runway, then its off to KIR or WAT, unless its night time or there's low viz, in which case its off to SNN or back to DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Blut2

The specifics obviously leave a lot to be desired at this stage, and from this point look very problematic, but we're talking probably the guts of a decade before we see any in operation at DUB.

And a lot will evolve in that time. The max range of commercial electric cars went up by approx 400% between 2011 and 2021. Back in 2011 nobody thought they were a viable mass market idea, yet 90% of cars sold in Norway last year were electric - and the figure is rising rapidly everywhere. Nobody doubts the electric car any more.

Its not really too hard to believe electric aviation (short haul connections anyway) will see a similar revolution by 2033 given the financial, political, scientific and environmental incentives.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

M20 solves a lot of things in terms of transatlantic from Cork versus an ORK-DUB shuttle.

If AA bring back PHL and DL BOS/NYC then you're essentially a 1 stopper from everywhere in the US, Canada, Carribean and Central America when you add that to UA EWR/ORD and EI BOS/JFK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭moonshy2022

The M20 which won’t be built/finished/in use full length till after 2030 ?!

So what do people do for the next 7 years while they wait ? Handy if you live near a bear junction or Cork, but many many don’t.

In the mean time(7 years) people could fly to Dublin from Cork having last seen their bags in Cork Airport. I know I’d prefer to fly to connect rather than have to drive and park, or bus and train it.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Astral Nav

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭tinytobe

Stuttgart isn't that much of a "focus city" what flying is concerned, plus airlines flying to and from Stuttgart seem to offer more destinations in the Mediteranean.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 FR738

I’d say It would do well with transatlantic connections, more routes to the USA to connect to now then when it last operated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

Stuttgart was started in 2011 when Christophe Mueller was CEO, he was attempting to diversify the short haul network at the time with a focus on strengthening links to Germany, France and Benelux. Hannover was also launched in 2014.

Neither lasted very long, a couple of years each I think.

I doubt we’ll see routes like this from Aer Lingus again without a significant shift in fleet and strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The one thing I did remember back when Aer Lingus flew to Stuttgart is that it was impossible to book a flight from, say the US and then connecting to Stuttgart under one single booking code. There was some kind of legality or other agreement Aer Lingus had to follow that prevented that from happening.

Thus I'd say the route from Dublin to Stuttgart wasn't for the long run, same as Hannover. Hannover is even worse of an airport than Stuttgart, I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Stuttgart seasonal service operated until end of summer 2018. There was one year it operted year round but loads were bad, good in summer. It never connected with T/A schedules. Ryanair started a daily service around Oct 2017 so EI exited for 2019 summer season.

In typical FR fashon they fell out with STR just like FRA and MUC and all routes ended.

EI kept the route for 8 years, I think there is a reasoable chance it will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Your first picture is Brighton - the tall straight thing is the i360. The last picture is Shoreham by Sea.

I used to visit Brighton often for gigs back in the day, and my friend when he was still alive. Can easily be daytripped from Dublin.

If you're in that part of the world take the stopping train from Gatwick and go for a walk around Balcombe and the Ardingly Reservoirs. They're absolutely lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Does JetBlue still have a close relationship with Aer Lingus? Where does this fit in that relationship?

Will they continue to codeshare and feed each others short haul networks?

Post edited by Ben D Bus on

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

They still code share with them in the US, I have used them a few times. They have a bad rep in the US but I always found them to be fine. Maybe the relationship is ending soon just like EI and United? I had a look and you can already book Dublin to US on the jetblue site, it's not jumping out as any cheaper to me.

Re Jet Blue to DUB, it's a very limited offering. A320Neo (not 321LR), that means no ovens so it's cold food on a TA. Season length seems to be short too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

EI sending out promo emails today mentioning fares to NY & BOS from €179..... the day after JetBlue announce the routes. Plenty of competition now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

For clarity, they're offering service on an A321neo.

Hot food will be available to Mint passengers, but you're correct – those in the cheap seats will only have cold options.

That's a bit disappointing. Hopefully it's a temporary restriction.

Post edited by Noxegon on

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Well, with the slop EI provide, I’d be happy to have a decent fresh cold option over that crap. I just bring my own food and eat the odd thing they provide. Have you seen those wraps? Hahaha!

Do Jet Blue offer free alcohol on board?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes. Something EI were meant to reintroduce but haven't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Noxegon

In the past it was normal for DUB to get the inferior transatlantic product from US carriers – back in the day I remember both DL and UA flying aircraft without seat back TVs in even as flights to the UK had both. More of the same I guess.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

Was certainly true of Delta, they had some of their oldest metal 757's with the non-vacuum toilets! However the increasing wealth of the country and the large corporate demand make Dublin very profitable for most carriers these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

arent you not allowed to bring your own food through cbp ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

From observation on a previous trip, I think the CBP were concerned at people taking food that would not be allowed to be imported to the USA. People in front of me told the officer that they had sandwiches but they were jam. 😁

There is probably detail on the relevant website.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No meat, no dairy. So salad sandwiches with vegan mayo it is then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭Blut2

I was made throw away a Boots sandwich that I'd literally just bought at the airport to eat at my gate (because there was so little past CBP at the time) before. CBP can be very anal about things when they want to be.

Complicated rules exist for what food you can bring into the US. Don't even think about bringing pork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

flying economy for a few hours to the US east coast. The rubbish grub I am going to be served up, has no bearing on what airline I would fly with...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

How is the DUB-KEF route fairing for PLAY? Obviously an LCC but are they doing any cargo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 jreams20

Does anyone know when the cap will be lifted. I remember Emirates wanted to go 3 daily and ET wanted to come back???

Advertisement