Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Louise Duffy Show - RTE Radio 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67,032 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Agree. There are people (mostly men of a certain age) who seem to get off on torturing themselves with RTE.

I would know Katryn Thomas in a camper van was probably not for me but I'd watch one episode and just not watch it anymore if my opinion was upheld.

I thought Daniel and Michelle touring in a camper van wouldn't be either but actually enjoyed it and it changed my opinion on him/her totally - so well done RTE.

Same with the radio, if it's not for you, switch off and rest assured that there are people listening...'tis a big world out there in radioland, there is something for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I'd be thinking the GAA connections might be more important in that regard myself? Never does any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Expunge

There isn't crazy begrudgery on this thread about Louise Duffy, in fairness.

I'm probably the only negative voice on this thread about Louise Duffy. The rest of it seems to be warm and positive. As I said earlier, good luck to them and you if you're enjoying it.

My main concern is the type of Tubridy style coronation that seems to have gone on in RTE with her hiring and promotion. The - honour the "talent" and feck the rest culture seems to be alive and well in RTE, despite everything.

She joins an increasing roster of mediocre talent daytime on Radio 1 with D'arcy, Tubridy (although his listener numbers continued to be high), the tired and declining Joe Duffy, Claire Byrne and the mismatched pairing on Drivetime.

I never mentioned the music played in the hour or indeed what Ronan Collins used to play. I don't care about that - I care about the hiring of frontline Radio 1 presenters. It's in decline and this is another example.

If Louise Duffy appears in a future Top Ten talent "fees" list without a considerable increase in listenership in that slot, then I will be enraged.

I'd love to know what it is you expect from daytime radio?

Even an example of this nirvana radio station would be good. And why the hell, in this day and age of the ability to listen to any station in the world in cold crisp and clear stereo, are you not listening to this instead of torturing yourself?

Ah, Francis are we not past the "if ya don't like it then don't listen" line yet?

Why wouldn't I throw an ear over Radio Wan from time to time? I help in a small way with its funding by pay my TV license fee.

Yes, there are many similarly and, apparently, not as lavishly funded and staffed radio services doing a far superior job to Radio 1 around the world, which I enjoy. That might be a discussion for somewhere else.

I have come to a discussion thread to offer a (minority) opinion on the subject - I'm not at all "tortured". Disappointed yes, tortured, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,525 ✭✭✭squonk

Ah look so will I. She doesn’t deserve €350,000 pa for 45 minutes of tunes and I’d be the first one to say it. I don’t know what she’s on but it’s hardly that. She’s doing a good job due what she’s tasked with. I’m also nit looking forward to the inevitable shoehorning of her into some SuperValu/AXA sponsored round Ireland traveL show but it’s RTE so the odds of them giving us a show nobody asked for and oversaturating a fresh new face are quite high. It’s RTE that are rotten in this regard. If more money and a chance to branch into TV is thrown at Louise, I wouldn’t blame her for taking it.

Totally agree, Squonk. She was offered a gig and took it. Good for her - no blame there.

You and nearly all others on here are enjoying it and that's great also. That's all, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I've started listening to music shows on RTE 1 in the last 6 months or so.

Louise who I always liked from her Today FM days (you would actually get some alternative music played. Between 7 and 9 when she was on back then) was the reason I started listening at midday.

I'm up early at weekends now and usually get an hour of Rising Time which is another great show. You can hear anything from Kylie to Grian Chatten to Elvis to the Stone Roses to Wet Leg at half 7 in the morning.

Completely agree, Francie. Why people subject themselves day-after-day, week-after-week, year-after-year to radio shows they hate presented by people they despise is a complete mystery to me.

As you know, I’d rather listen to my auld fella bang my mother through a plasterboard wall than listen to Callan’s Kicks. So I certainly wouldn’t go out of my way to listen to every Friday. Like there’s so much other things I could be doing instead on it.

Don’t get it to be honest.

You're avoiding the point about the reservations expressed above. Of course people can turn it off as I've happily been turning off a certain Tubridy for years or you turn off Callan and so on. Because we view these as mediocre 'talents' respectively.

Mediocre talent though should only justify mediocre remuneration. And that's the point. What we've witnessed are substantial fees paid to 'talent' as adjudged by RTE underwritten by the taxpayer. And frankly scandalous disregard for public money. Change is required if people are to be asked to continue to pay RTE licence fees.

As for Louise here, I'd be undecided - a bit too 'Have a Nice Day' for my tastes. Is this her real persona or a false one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,095 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lot of clickbait being thrown around here ……….just sayin’.

To comment about a show or presenter ability and performance, one has to listen and analyse over a period.

This shïte about being “passionate about her music” nearly bet me into a cocked hat laughing.

Nothing at all against Louise but playing nine or ten records in a backwater slot on radio dudd’nt really knock the ball outa the ballpark..

Need more ‘big boy’ radio that that, Sahib.

Christ I really don’t get it! What’s she supposed to do? Are you talking about her evening show on TodayFM? I don’t get what you’re trying to say? She had a longer slot on TodayFM. More than 9-10 songs I’d bet. Today she’s playing 12 songs. She said that herself. Is it too much to ask that presenters playing music actually pick the songs based on their knowledge/interest? I know it doesn’t happen in general with playlisting now. She along with the LateDate people by tge dounds of it are playing stuff that appeals to them and stuff that appeals to people with an interest in music. There are so many shîte talking DJs filling time with forced craic and banter playing the next play-listed song around the place. She’s something different at this time of day.

Spot on Breener, remember poor John Murray, horseshoed the lad who was an excellent broadcaster into a slot that he was not suited for, persisted with,like Drivetime, a cringeworthy segment which was about as ‘funny’ as a bunch of Chalfonts.

Took them five years before the penny dropped.

If I may say so Breener, myself and yourself are serious radio men, not like the scones who appear in here like perseid meteor showers only to fade away in hours.

So what are these mainstream daytime radio services that need to fufill a wide function and cater to diverse tastes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭RINO87

Louise was doing the Ballycotton Sessions on TV before this gig at lunchtime started, so she's done TV already. Her persona/style seems similar to the one from her today fm show, personally I don't see her coming across as fake. Don't get the comparison with Neil Doherty, he's just "radio off" for me at this point....

I loved Ronan's show, was sad to see it go, but Louise is doing ok music wise. She does throw a few "Ronan" tunes in now and then to keep us happy! No Yodeling yet tho......

The idea that DJ Mickey Mucksavage from Death Notice FM could just be parachuted into RTE Radio 1 and take over the show, and that he’d be happy to do it for the minimum wage and a subsided lunch is laughable.

Not how the world works. People need to get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’d prefer if she had another hour tacked on. 12-2pm would be great. People need to stop blaming presenters for RTÉ’s problems.

I like the show but it’s only an hour so it’s either hold on through the newsy stuff before switching back over to Newstalk, toot suite, to avoid ‘Live Line’ or suffer an hour of Newstalk’s faux-live line. Neither is a great option.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I think it’s perfectly clear what I’m saying……..sorry ‘bout that bub.

Louise should interrupt her show with a hard hitting polemic on a current affair topic, a call from some bewildered crank, and some AA Roadwatch updates.

Nah, all she has to do is weave a bit more persona into her presentation. Anecdote as to why this piece of music means something to her, such as her reference today to her mother and use of household telephone. Her knowledge of so & so who plays this and so on, her experience in the music industry. That's how radio presenters build relationships with listeners. A bit of depth and less of the 'happy clappy' stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Serious radio men? Is that what your calling yourselves now.

As Francie said, you have access to any radio station across the globe that caters to your taste, but instead you tune in to take potshots at a young female deejay that is clearly a positive person who loves what they do.

What is it about young confident attractive and successful women that seems to get older men all worked up? I do wonder.

Can’t help you there Pat, maybe give a help line a bell.

Now if you can point out any posts where you claim I was taking ‘potshots’ at a “young presenter” I will be happy to enter into discussion.

Last I heard these threads facilitate the opportunity for radio people to voice an opinion, and that’s all it is -an opinion.

My points are really very simple if people really WANT to understand..

Playing nine or ten records in a ‘fill in” slot ain’t big boy radio and would need a lot more substance and gravitas displayed to achieve the future some are predicting for the lovely Louise.

Simples really…….

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Not sure what I'm more shocked at.

How Louise has been "blown up" since the early days were we were discussing what a nice change it was for RTE to make a decent decision putting Louise in the slot. Or the amount of lads trying to tear down any positivity for her in the slot.

It's a "lovely" hour of radio. Nice selection of tunes delivered in a calm confident way. I think we can all agree it's something RTE has got "right"

We don't need to figure out today if she's the best thing since sliced bread and will take the radio world by storm. We also don't need to lambast her for doing a daycent job.

Enjoy the hour and chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Anybody heard the rumours she might be taking over The Late Late Show in 2026?

Agent bumpf no doubt. Big fan of Louise but they might as well say I’m taking over TLLS in 2026. She’s done telly by tge sounds of it but presenting a chat show is another thing altogether and I think it’d be a bit of a stretch. .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭HBC08

Louise is doing a good job,nice eclectic range of tunes and chilled out hour.The only downside is that buffon Duffy butting in towards the last 15 mins

I'm not a fan of RTE (banned off the Tubridy thread lol!)

I also dont give them any credit for getting this right as even a stopped click is right twice a day.

However if I'm in the car at the time I'll switch to RTE and actively seek it out (which is the opposite of what I usually do,except for John Creedon of course)

Well they certainly got it right when they got rid of Collins.

Now before everyone starts roaring and shouting I have nothing against Mr Collins it’s just that an unchanging

radio programme for the guts of twenty years has to be gotten rid of sometime.

Nothing is achieved by hanging on to the tired worn out music by numbers formula for aeons…. nothing.

All things must change eventually ..move on…. Otherwise we would all be still driving Dubbalin to Cork on single carriageway roads and taking an hour to get thru each town.

You gotta move on…… real radio people understand that.

Nobody is saying presenting a radio programme should be considered for a Nobel Prize of it's own.

It's a skill, and within those who do it there are varying degrees of ability and skill.

Just like a plumber or sparkie really. There are plumbers who will get your throne working but the pipes will be fired in any old way - still works but you get what you pay for. Same with a sparkie etc.

No different with music presenters, real listeners can spot the ones who can put a playlist together in a cohesive way, they are not just firing in the pipes to transport Brendi's poo poo away from the Brendi abode so to speak.

You were taking potshots at this presenter by the way, by poo pooing that ability and skill.

Incorrect Francis, I was making the point that playing nine or ten records a day, however presented, is not a sign that greatness is in store and it’s the forerunner to a glittering career in radio.

As I posted some will like it, some won’t.

I would like to see more evidence of experience in ‘big boy radio’ before I would going into the taking over from PK arena to be honest.

Thats all Francis, nothing more ,nothing less.

• Advertisement

That’s just it Brendi, greatness isn’t required. What is required to get the plaudits she is getting is skill and a high level of competence.

You don’t like it when presenters in RTE get plaudits, most people would nit be so excercised.

There may be something wrong with your plumbing or wiring, so to speak, old chap!

Advertisement