Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline/Airport/Travel questions and queries

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭George White

Is the fast track worth it at Dublin airport at a flight departing 6.55 at the morning? What would the difference be? What time would one get there at the airport without fast-track? 3.00?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,915 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That's the busiest time of the day for getting through security, so if you think you might be tight for time it could be worth it.

But if you can show up for 3am (which is far too early!) then probably not.

For a non-USA flight I'd say 5am is plenty, or 5.30 if you can handle a sprint to the gates if needs be - that's when I'd be aiming for.

There have been no reports of horrendous delays for a good while now, but that's not to say something wouldn't happen on the very day you show up. Download the DAA app, and keep an eye on security times around 5am on similar days to when you intend travelling (ie weekday, Saturday, Sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭- bo -

With the ongoing strike action by Vueling staff at Paris Orly I'm just wondering, is there a particular notice period that needs to be given with regard to individual flights being cancelled? The weekend gone, Vueling cancelled their Dublin-Orly route on Friday/Saturday/Sunday and strike action is also planned for the next two weekends.

In a little bit of a pickle at the minute trying to decide what to do. I'm booked to fly to Orly on Saturday morning to be in Paris for an event that evening, returning from Paris CDG on Sunday.

As it stands, their website/app is displaying that the flight is still planned to go ahead as scheduled. I've got a feeling it's going to be cancelled, and for €90 I can get a flight in to Paris CDG later in the afternoon. It's not ideal and I'll be more pushed for time but will have to be done if I'm to make it. Obviously I then risk the original flight going ahead and losing out on my fare.

It's a pain in the backside not knowing - at least if I knew now, I could apply for my refund and make alternative plans. My fear is that they'll wait until very late in the week, something like the day before, to give notice, and the alternative flight will have risen to multiples of the €90 it is now.

What would you do - say feck it and book the backup flight or hold out? 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 34,158 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Well if you need to be there that day then 90 quid for a backup plan, even if more awkward, seems worth it.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭- bo -

It turns out SkyScanner wasn't up to date... that €90 was in fact €250-ish.

I said feck it last night and booked a €57 flight out of Belfast as a backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Hi all. Currently in Chicago and flying home on Sat. Have secured an EI upgrade. Is there a lounge in OHare to use - can't seem to find anything online. Can I bring a guest? TIA

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

In Chicago Aer Lingus use the Swissport lounge.

Not sure about bringing a guest if not a member of AerClub

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Business class entitles you only for access.

Need Platinum or greater to guest

• Administrators Posts: 53,466 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Has anyone flown to Geneva before?

How feasible is it to get to a train at the airport that departs within 50 minutes of scheduled landing?

Post edited by awec on

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭x567

Will depend on which flight you’re on (later ones are more susceptible to compound delays); and whether you have checked baggage or not. I haven’t tried the GVA train connection for a couple of years but from memory it’s comparable with Zurich, where I have made train connections quite often. On a usually-reliable flight with cabin baggage only I’d expect 50 mins to work more often than not. With checked baggage it would be more marginal but not impossible if you’re ticketed and don’t hang about…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Stupid question but I’m flying to Holland in a few days and I’ve been checking the prices on ryanair to see how much they fluctuate (I have a lot of spare time). Up until yesterday morning, there were 99 empty seats on our flight (again remember, I have a lot of time on my hands) by 3pm, the flight was “sold out”. Would these have been sold on to a 3rd party or will our flight be half empty.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Could they just be unallocated seats you seen hairyslug? When does RA automatically give you a seat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

That makes sense, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I've taken trains tons of times from Geneva in a shorter time frame (assuming no checked luggage) - you turn left when you clear customs and the train station is a few hundred metres away down an escalator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭boccy23

Hi

We are flying from DUB-SYD with Singapore. First flight is Aer Lingus to LHR at 6PM on Sunday.

Normally for any EI flights, an hour and a half before hand is fine for check-in. Based on the fact that it is a Long-Haul ticket, do we have to check-in earlier?

We will have bags obviously.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

No, your flight out of Dublin is still a short haul flight to LHR, so I’d just treat it as a normal flight that would terminate in LHR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its connecting flight, so I'd show up the full 2 hours ahead. Check in might need to be done manually by a human as the IT isn't great at handling this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Glittering_Fault_720

Can I bring a brand new laptop on board in it's box? Travelling from Dub.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

only if you go through one of the new scanners. Otherwise you'll need to take it out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tobesure

Is the 737 MAX 8 the same model that had the safety issues?

Also is there more leg space? I had my first flight in years and felt like more leg room.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yes

and no,

it’s actually slightly tighter than older models

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭VG31

I find the new Ryanair seats to be very uncomfortable. They are by far the worst seats of any airline I've been on. The top of the seat is hard plastic and I can't put my head back at all without it being seriously uncomfortable. I'm about 6 foot. I guess if you're small or tall you won't have the same problem. The legroom is fine at least.

I much prefer the old seats. They also have hard plastic at the top but the headrest is much more padded so it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Anyone been through T1 early in the morning of late?

Flight to Bristol 07:40 tomorrow, no bags - thinking of arriving for 06:00

Should be grand right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭VG31

Yes, you could probably get away with even later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Is there any service that allows you to book flights to thailand (HKT) from Dublin with a deposit and pay at a later date?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Am I going to miss my connecting flight?

So I booked DUB - FRA - JNB and CPT - FRA - DUB with Lufthansa. Connection on the outward journey is fine.

Connection on the return from Cape Town arrives in Frankfurt at 5.30am and the departure for Dublin leaves at 7.20am. This was all booked through the Lufthansa website and these were the flights they offered.

Since then the airspace of Niger has been closed and there's an extra 90 minutes or so added to the return flight. The last few days the arrival time of the flight from Cape Town to Frankfurt has been,

8.21, 6.46, 6.43, 7.25, 6.24, 6.39, 6.53. This is the landing time on FR24, I presume taxi time has to be added onto that, so realistically there's no way I'm going to make the Dublin flight.

Do I bring this up with Lufthansa and ask them to move my 2nd leg flight (at no cost to me), or do I just wait it out and see what happens on the day? The flight is in September, but I don't think civil aviation will be flying over Niger anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Jacovs

We had family visit us in September last year, who also flew DUB-FRA-CPT in and out.

They were advised their return flight would be delayed, and ended up missing their connection in FRA for their DUB flight.

I would assume you would miss yours too if theres an extra 90 minutes flight time and your connection time was already only 110 minutes.

They were looked after by Lufthansa, they have a few flights to DUB each day, and if they cant accommodate you on the same day then they will put you up and get you on a flight the next day.

If you need to be back on that day, contact them now and ask to be moved to a later flight, while they might still have that option. Otherwise just let it play out if you are flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 melchior1951

Just wait and see. If you miss the connection in FRA, they will automatically book you on the next flight to DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Yeah, I'm flexible. I'll let it play out and see what happens on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 montymoo

We are looking to cut costs on travel from Reus to Dublin. Has anyone travelled this route. I am worried about time.

Advertisement