Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

• Registered Users Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Does anybody have an idiot proof guide to get the photos app working on my Firecube? I’ve tried changing my default address on the Amazon app to one in NI and paid for Express VPN to change my location to the uk but it’s still saying That it’s not available in my area? 🤔

The thing is, it works on an older Firestick that I have!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Nollog

Can anyone help get a version of now(tv) ireland that will work on a fire cube?

Tried using an Irish account to see if there was a different version of the app on the appstore but it just downloads the UK one every time, so feels like old news.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Try using Alexa voice search for now tv ireland

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭wassie

Yeah i did that, doesnt seem to work anymore. At least i couldnt make make it download the non-gb one.

No option anywhere to change regions, changed my account region even to no avail.

It doesnt matter what your main Amazon account is set to.

What happens when you load the web page for the Irish NOW App? Link here

If you are getting the message above in red, then you need to change the country settings under

Your Account > Manage Your Content and Devices >Preferences

Your Country/Region settings (see below) need to be set to Ireland (it can be changed back). If you cant change it contact customer service and they will do it for you.

Oh, that setting. That's what i did on my account to get it to go from british to irish. I thought the device setting was in the fire tv menu somewhere from reading your old post.

I ended up re-reading it all and making a brand new account and going through the process slowly, then exported the apk to be used on the device we actually want to use it on.

I probably did something wrong or my account didnt update fast enough or something, but thanks wassie for the help, should be good until they force update me now.

I wish there was a pureapk equivalent for the amazon app store honestly would make stuff so much easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Just checking, no way to get a Firestick online without a remote?

Was using App to control Firestick as lost remote, took it on holidays, can't setup as Firestick not on same network as phone.

Hey guys my fire stick 4k remote the up button on the circle is not working,where as all the other buttons work fine.

Any idea what might be wrong I tried pairing again but that didn't solve the problem of the up button on the circle not working.

Would it be the contact inside the remote??.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

looks like is broken - you can use the app on your phone - a new one is 18 from ebay

I would have a go at disassembling and giving it a clean. Youtube guide on how to do exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭RockOrBog

Can you connect a Firestick 4k into the HDMI of a laptop and use it as a screen to watch stuff?

Or does the Laptop HDMI only work in one direction

No not as standard - You can get nearly all services on a website or windows app version ,

if not android apps can be installed via windows subsystem for android - or an android emulator like bluestacks

Technically, the HDMI port itself is unidirectional, but the direction of transfer depends on the device in which the port it is connected to (i.e. the laptop board itself). So no, it cant be connected directly, unless your laptop had a dedicated HDMI input (Ive never seen one myself).

To use your Fire TV stick on PC/Laptop you would have to connect it via an adapter (such as a video capture device) in between the two devices, the same as you would any other media device with HDMI output that you wanted to view on a laptop/PC.

You could connect the Firestick TV to a monitor however. If you had no sound, the newer firesticks can connect sound via bluetooth speakers/headphones.

The Fire TV sticks are fairly versatile. It can mirror your laptop/PC or phone on your TV.

It is probably also possible to pair the remote as a Bluetooth peripheral for use with your laptop, unless you have a wifi direct version of the remote which won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I have a Firestick that seems to be stuck on the boot screen forever. I've tried to hold down right and back to do a reset but nothing happened. Is it bricked or is there any way to fix it?

sounds like its would need to be reflashed or repaired , seems like you have tried just about all you can - - I dont think its financially viable to pay to repair it tbh -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Thanks for that. Do you, or anyone else, know if those Firesticks on Ebay work correctly here? (They seem to be from Amazon.com originally as they have a button for Hulu where the UK one has Amazonmusic).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

From my limited knowledge of these things it should work regardless of where it's from as it's basically a streaming device. Try googling "how to repair firestick" or similar. There seems to be lots of YouTube videos for this. Worth a shot anyhow.

there mostly the same other than buttons and plug maybe - you can get firestick 4ks or 4k max in most shops that sell phones etc . some are cheaper than buying the international 4k max version on amazon , in that way you can have a look at them before buying

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭septictank

Are the Curry's firesticks "International" models or regular ones as there is no mention on their page? Is there a difference when it comes to installing Downloader and other apps?

Do you have to sign up to a VPN with "International" ones?

A friend wants to get one, said I'd "Tune" it for him when he has it.

theres no real difference it depends on if u sign in with an irish / or a Uk account - i think its better to sign in with a uk account as u get iplayer etc available easier, i now sideload android tv Usa apps as it seems to work a lot better this way as everything works at one time

there firesticks in most electrical type stores now for a bit less than currys

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Inforapenny

Hi, I need to get a new firestick, old one no longer working.

Where is the best place to order from and anything to look out for in terms of latest models etc.?

Thanks

firestick 4k max . you can get them in most independent phone/electrical type shops in towns for 70 or 75 there 77 on amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

If you're spending that much, might be worth considering the Google TV 4k which is also 70 euro delivered (from Google).

Appreciate some people prefer the firestick but just an alternative if not.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Any idea why a 4k stick seems unresponsive at times and a app opening that should not be opening every while.

Would a factory reset do it ?.

• Advertisement

what i wpuld try is to go in and shut down and clear caches of all the apps that are already running you dont need . downloading background apps and process list can help do that a bit quicker . check and install updatess also . . maybe uninstall a few .

you can check wifi channel strength and stuff before a complete reset

Advertisement