Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭batistuta9

You should be able to install it from the app store. There's an Irish & UK one though, so if your store is set for UK that version needs a UK now subscription

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

Streaming BBC iPlayer and my5 fine on firestick but ITVx is a hit and miss, trying to watch the twelve on ITVx and am lucky to see half an hour then it shuts down, if I restart it I can't fast forward it to where I left off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,411 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thanks, do I need to use my VPN and has it the same content as ITV?

I can watch it live but for some reason it's saying oops can't watch video now on the catch ups.I presume there is no app for stv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭Nollog

ITV(x) needs a VPN or smartDNS for everything now I believe, like BBC iPlayer.

Only Channel 4 remains watchable without changing your location - live does require though, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭monkeyactive

Folks anyone had issues setting up the NOW TV app on a firestick?

Have been going back and forth with NOW customer support they had me changing address in my Amazon account linked to the firestick to setting up new Amazon accounts altogether and factory reseting the firestick.

Cant get it to work , any ideas?

Got the firestick in Argos here in Ireland, could it be a UK version maybe?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

it depends on the account u use to login to the firestick -. if its an irish version you want set it up with an irish email and location

i have an irish one added uk and us apps but now freevee wont work but will with the same account on my laptop . its tricky

is there an irish version on the fire tv os does anyone know or do you have to sidelaod the irish version

or if not try a different solution lol

Yes using a VPN but ITVx is pretty bad to stream, the itv hub was better.

• Advertisement

itv hub was very tricky also - you need the right vpn and location and protocol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭wassie

Re: Firestick TV & Now TV - this is from a post of mine from the Now TV thread.

As has been mentioned, there are 2 versions of the NowTV app on the Amazon app store - a UK and Irish version (probably due to licensing issues).

If you have an Irish subscription with NowTV (i.e. you pay in euros not pounds), then you need the Irish version.

You will only see one version in the app store, and it will depend on your specific Amazon device location preferences. For most peeps this is not an issue, however I have my FireTV location set as UK so that I can get the full Amazon Prime video library (I also use NordVPN but thats a different discussion not relevant to this post).

In order to get the Irish NowTV app, I had to switch my location in the device preferences menu (not the main Amazon account) temporarily to Ireland, download & install the app, then I changed my location back to UK. The app will work perfectly and will always be in your library and be updated also - much more beneficial than having to mess around side-loading an APK.

See this post over on the NowTV community forum for more info on how to do this:

As a side note, if you have a family account with other users - it will break that link as you will temporarily be in a different region from the other users. The simple fix is to go and rejoin all of the family accounts again. If you cant get out working just reach out to Customer Service and they will fix it.

NOW is much better on a FireTV and easy enough given my instructions above. Once its set you always have the app in your Amazon app library.

Apart from NOW TV stick being a piece of junk with outdated specs, using this adds yet another remote control in the mix as well as using up an HDMI slot.

thanks i had an idea about it but as i never used the service myself i didnt know for sure , i do know that even when u change locations some apps can be tricky ie freevee which wont load on my 4k max but will on my laptop on the same account

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

A hardware rather than software question....

My firestick 4k remote is dead after about 14 months. Have tried new batteries and percussive maintenance. Amazon's only advice was to buy a new firestick which I'm refusing to do. I can use the app and also my tv remote but the experience is nowhere near as good. I had also gotten used to using the voice search.

Anyone have any spare knocking around?

Any recommendations for AliExpress versions?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I'm upgrading from a fire tv cube 2nd gen to the 3rd gen - when i login to the 3rd, will it automatically sync the apps and settings from the old device to the new or will in need to set it up from scratch?

You will be given an option to do this when your register the device. The apps will sync (excluding sideloaded apps) and device settings will transfer for the most part. App settings are dependant upon the developers so may or may not transfer.

Also if you have any local files these will not transfer and will need to be done manually. Plenty of vids on youtube with all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

@Rowley Birkin QC Best price to speed of arrival option is CeX stored in Ireland. They are all over. Have the real remotes cheaper than new off amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

@ablelocks you will get the option for it to set up the same.

Won't include anything sideload Ed though. So you'll have to do that from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Looking to buy a fire stick, which one should I buy from curry’s or Amazon please, lots to choose from this is the international version from Amazon

Roll over image to zoom in

Fire TV Stick International Version with Alexa Voice Remote | HD streaming device

have a friend to then load the fire stick

• Advertisement

the 4k max is best - if your in a city there are shops in dublin which have them for 69 others have them for 75 but you wont get them online for cheaper until amazon have another big sale and check on the right day

What model are you looking for eg HD, 4k, 4k Max?

Interational versions (at least the 4k versions) AFAIK are similar in spec. There may be a different app buttons and the app pre-loaded may be different. Apps are not a problem as you can load almost anything. The devices themselves are not region locked - this is dependant on the regional settings in your Amazon account itself.

Don't know how often Currys have sales, but the International versions rarely go on sale on Amazon, where as the UK versions do. eg the 4K Max models can be regularly had for £45 or lower - obviously you need the means to get collect from Northern Ireland. You can have delivered to a Post Office in Newry for in person collection for example.

I don’t have a smart tv, tv is Samsung 9 years old , so will a 4 k max work on an older tv model please?

currently using sky q as my main source of tv, with Amazon prime, Apple TV and now Cinema

Yes - All models are backwards compatible (i.e. new Fire TV sticks will work with older TVs), howeverI'd hazard a guess that your TV most likely only has HD resolution (as opposed to UHD or 4K).

So no benefit to have 4K vs HD model. However for the bit of extra cash to get the 4K it will be a bit future proof should you decide to upgrade your TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Hi folks, just double-checking that there's no way to get a firestick version of the rte player that will show live tv? Have looked back on the thread but it appears any apk etc only has vod capabilities.

Fire TV Stick 4K Max (UK Version) on sale at the moment for £39.96 - 40% off regular price.

Shipping to NI only - can click and collect at Post Office in Newry if in Dublin region.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

guys anyone know where i can get a remote for my firestick?.

would the cheap ones on aliexpress do the job ?.

17 18 euro on ebay in ireland - if your thinking of upgrading stick you might be better to upgrade your stick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

I bought one off aliexpress a few weeks ago, its working fine, quality isn't quite as good as the original, but funtionality is fine. I think it was about €11.00.

Advertisement