Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldplay - Dublin 2024 - Update Post 1 on Toutless

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,962 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 16 milu2021

Ok great. Suspected that would be the way. Don’t really go to many concerts so wasn’t sure.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I have asked the local mods to copy this into the OP and add a note to the thread title asking posters to read the OP

If they don't get to it in the meantime I will do so myself later on

Will you throw in a pack of Dutch Gold for an additional fee ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,514 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

And thats why the government need to bring in more legislation to create an actual proper legitimate marketplace. A proper marketplace that will help to eliminate the shadow areas which currently exist.

Any provider of tickets for events should be obliged to offer legitimate transfers of tickets between people a long way out from the event. At least 6 months.

When an event has no more tickets for public sale then For a small fee no more than the original booking fee they should be required to offer a resale service of unwanted tickets at face value to people who can no longer attend.

Ticketmaster have a monopoly, so its actually easy to do this and police it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

No Problemo kid.... 😁

ALSO :

Cooler bags optional... (for a small fee)

a Commemorative table also available (for a fee a bit bigger than a small fee)

Exclusive access tickets - just at the corner of the Hogan and Hill 16 -

*You can have amazing views of the rear right hand lower corner of the side of the stage* -

A once in a lifetime opportunity - Can also be used to get easy access into Elverys under the Hogan stand - Also unlimited views of the Croke Park hotel without Q'ing. All for just €999 .

*May or maynot be true - View may be impeded by lots of other people also looking down that little alleyway .......... No refunds available.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Just listen to the first couple of albums, have a few cans and save yourself a load of money. Plus it could be pissing rain in Croker on the night ☺️

Go and see somebody new and different, expand your horizons, or somebody else you want to see that isn't milking the fans. Screw the FOMO. Don't fall for it. ☺️

Coldplay, with their green concerts crap, making everyone spin their wheels and burn plenty of CO2 , trying to get and afford a ticket. ☺️

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

One thing I've realised that yes tickets like Colplay and Swift are expensive but over here in Canada its way more expensive even for non stadium acts. For example to get a standing ticket for QOTSA in a 15K venue its €180

• Registered Users Posts: 11,463 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The Resale legislation has absolutely no correlation with the scams being run at the moment.

Scams have always popped up for big gigs, its just that social media has led people to be far more gullible to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,587 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Of course there is a correlation.

Sites like Viagogo and Stubhub provided competition to Ticketmasters Platinum tickets.

They allowed people to buy tickets with a guarantee of money back if the ticket was invalid.

Personally I rarely used them but some people used to use them.

What you have now is Ticketmasters 700 or 900 euro offering or some scammer on social media.

I always tell people to wait, more tickets will be released or you can buy on Toutless or resale closer to the event, but alot of people are impatient or suffering peer pressure so panic and get stung.

The legislation was sneakily rushed through during Covid, politicians believed Platinum tickets were actually better ticket packages, they havent a clue, they overruled their own department who said a ban on above face value resale would lead to more fraud.

It was a pr stunt at a time the Govt needed a good news story.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 TheIrishPC

Post edited by TheIrishPC on

People are being scammed by Instagram pages less than a week after it went on sale. Even if the resale market had more sites, these people still likely wouldn't have tickets at this point and still would be falling for scams.

There is no way that the demand for tickets would be met by the existing-ticket holders who want to sell their tickets (and let's be honest here, a majority of whom in the pre-legislation days would be selling these tickets at multiples of their face value), so these scams would still be there and still be fallen for by desperate, gullible people.

People were gullible to the scams even before the tour dates were announced. I must have seen at least 5 people share a "win tickets to see Coldplay in Croke Park" post by some random page about a week before it was announced they were coming

Exactly my point. The lack of resale opportunities/platforms have no correlation to the scams being run (and fallen for) at the moment.

If Stubhub, Viagogo or Seatwave still existed, they'd be selling all tickets significantly higher than face value and the scams to either 'win tickets' or 'buy a ticket at face value' would still be there and fallen for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,514 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

And if there was an official verified website where tickets could be sold at face value then people with spares could buy and sell them there, ticketmaster should be forced to provide that service.

Currently if i have two spare tickets to any event there is no ‘legitimate’ place for me to sell them, its donedeal and thats all scammers and spam, viagogo (crazy fees mean you have to charge over face value) or among your friends and thats limited.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

While "old fashioned touting" (let's be clear, Ticketmaster are essentially doing the same thing) isn't as common as it used to be there are still touts out there selling through DoneDeal, Facebook, outside venues etc. The legislation scared some of them off but they haven't gone away. The increase in scammers on social media and Ticketmaster trying to make secondary market ticket sales a closed shop has definitely overshadowed them but there's still money to be made by selling in demand tickets for above face value and people are going to continue to do it. It's small-scale but to say that touts don't exist or that Ticketmaster is the only tout is disingenuous.

Recently I've seen them outside Vicar Street, the Olympia, Trinity, all designated venues under the legislation i.e you can't sell tickets for above face value for events there but there's a big difference between having something in writing and implementing it. The total number of people prosecuted since the legislation has been brought in - zero.

I do agree that Ticketmaster/Live Nation are the bigger issue. The legislation "solved" one problem, it killed off Viagogo, StubHub etc. but created another. Live Nation can now manage an artist (SZA to take a recent example), own the ticketing platform (Ticketmaster), own the promoter (MCD), own the venue (3Arena) and control most secondary ticket sales as well. It's easy to see how they can manipulate demand to push overpriced platinum tickets, sell the same ticket multiple times and collect various fees etc. when they have that kind of monopoly. And without straying too far into tinfoil hat territory there were "industry experts" who advised the government on that legislation who maybe had one eye on their own interests.

I think that's were the government involvement ends, they were seen to be doing something but just gave the keys to Ticketmaster who'll continue clean up. We're already moving towards how these big shows are sold in the US, multiple levels of ticketing, not just a different view/seat, a different "experience" to justify the eye watering prices. It won't be long before we're paying €10 for a pint (that would be cheap in the US) in a plastic cup too, everything to maximize profits. The artists are also complicit, they reap the rewards as well, the Cure on their recent US tour and others have shown that you can still put the fans first.

Premium Level tickets will also become available soon

They started appearing mid-late summer last year for the Garth Brooks shows

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

I'd say it'll be alot of single seats or max 2 for resale where people may have bought 4-6 and don't want that many after

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Stubhub was as far as I remember a Ticketmaster company. They were always in on ripping there customers off. These days they don't even try to hide it!

Ticketmaster and Live Nation are grotesquely unethical and vile with greed, they are slowly but surely killing the live music industry. It's no longer fun or escapism for punters or young teenagers getting into music especially, who are asked to shell out 300 euro plus for a ticket to their favourite act in times of inflation! Platinum ticketing has arrived into Ireland and my gig going days are limited to avoiding anything with such nonsense included!

Screw Ticketmaster

Screw live nation

Screw Coldplay (blissful ignorance my arse, they know well that "their" fans are being ripped off and exploited - the 100 or so infinity tickets they like to blab on about is utter nonsense! I'd love to know how many of the 320,000 plus tickets will be allocated to infinity, any ideas?..)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Some €390 tickets for Sunday showing just there now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

€252 early entry standing tickets showing up for Thursday night.

I checked but all gone. Of the experience packages, it's the only one I would consider buying if nothing else. Early access standing for a high demand concert would be great. Still expensive but better value for money than the other packages imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,552 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Croke Park sells most of the premium tickets as 3/5/10 year tickets. They come with admission to all GAA games, plus first refusal to purchase the same seat for any other events, including concerts.

There’s still some renewals for tickets 2024 onwards ongoing. It’s unlikely that any premium tickets linked to multi-year holders will be released until sometime next year when Croke Park/GAA have given all of the multi-year ticket holders their chance to purchase them first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Ticket price is based on promotion company (Live Nation) the venue, ticket selling platform, re-selling ticket platform and the artist. I would expect the artist to have the least amount of say in the over all price as there would be a min-price to cover all costs then the artist gets their cut. Its an absolutely horrible model and would love to see artists going solo and trying to do things themselves - if enough got together and refused to work with the traditional model venues would have no choice but follow suit

That might be the case for smaller artists but bigger artists (or their management) 100% have the say on ticket prices, they are not going into either blind or unaware of what ticket prices will be - and if they have a problem with them, they can dictate the price range. It is likely that they're told that tickets will be sold within various price bands (and that the overall take will be X and the overall profit will by Y) but large artists are not in any way at the whim of the promoters.

LiveNation get a lot of stick (most of it rightly so) for ticket sales but it was even on the radio even last week when talking about ticket prices (for both Coldplay and Taylor Swift) that if fans are angry about ticket prices, it's the artists they need to be angry at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

If you have an actual point you want to articulate on please feel free.

The big artists don't have as much say as you think as they sign contracts with the likes of Live nation to be their promotion partner - as part of that deal the artist gets a nice bonus / sign on fee and for that money they give away a % of control.

• Advertisement

"We know by now that streaming through music services like Apple Music, Tidal and Spotify doesn't bring in a lot of money for artists, and album sales aren't what they once were. But artists rarely have a "particularly big" say in where the ticket price gets set for a tour unless we’re talking about superstars, says O’Brien. "Very frequently the promoter who is putting on the show is going to set the ticket prices. The up-and-coming and mid-level artists, they may not have that kind of freedom."

“My kind of queasiness is over dynamic pricing which is basically what has been happening for years with Ryanair. If a lot of people want to fly to London some weekend that there’s a big football match, prices go up and artists opt into it.”

He continued, “Most of Twitter traffic that I’ve seen have been saying all promoters are price gouging. Promoters are merely following the wishes of the artists. So, if you’re angry about paying too much for Coldplay tickets, Chris Martin & co have set the dynamics there.”

Advertisement