Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldplay - Dublin 2024 - Update Post 1 on Toutless

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Mike3549

So many experts here running the tour businesses. There are a lot of associated expenses that we dont know about. U2 360, highest grossing tour inc inflation, was still deep in red after almost a year.

Now, after touring for more than 2 years, of course Coldplay is making a profit.

"The band played 63 shows in 2017 , a turnover of £63,667,007 - profit for 2017 was reported at £38.4 million."

But it says nothing about their tour setup expenses in 2016, stage design, marketing etc. Thats just the usual newspapers cherry picking statistics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭MOR316

Some of us do know

For example, every drummer will replace the skins in their drums after every few gigs. Guitar players, bass players also change their strings every gig. So that can be an expense, but it's also written off because the companies like Ernie Ball give guitarists strings for free, in return for endorsements, thus meaning Ernie Ball sells more products to the general instrument playing public and that's how they make their profit.

Then there's the catering. Each artist has an on tour catering team with them so that feeds however many people and the daily cost of food on the tour has to be included. If you're Beyonce, you'll probably have about 5 catering teams just for herself.

Then there's wardrobe, stylists, make up artists (for both male and female) lighting directors etc. Many artists often use local techies to cut down on costs. Not saying Coldplay, just in general. Then there's security and other stuff. One artist went through $200 Raybans every night, over the course of 109 shows.

A band I was close to and who were pretty big, over a one month period, it doing 20 odd shows, it cost 80k a week to keep the tour going, before anything was set up and it was essentially, in comparison to other artists, pretty basic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Modern stages are alot lighter and more compact as they mostly use carbon fibre frames as opposed to the old steel ones.(U2 Joshua Tree stage was one of the first big carbon fibre stages)

So tours require significantly less trucks to cart them around than in the past.

The costs of running a tour are much lower as a percentage now than in the U2360 days and acts are doing longer runs in cities than in the past, 4 nights in Dublin for example, that one setup and deconstruction cost.

Prices have never been higher, so big artists are coining it, no doubt about it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,559 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Accountancy rules require expenditure to be matched against relevant income. These expenses should have been treated as a prepayment in the prior accounts. The £38.4m would reflect profits from all sources, not only gigs. And I do not know what there year and was and whether these accounts would have reflected the full tour. A lot more info is required to determine the pre tax profit. And yes there is then Corporation Tax to deduct as well as higher rate taxes paid by the shareholders on any dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭slick_rick88

Just went onto the ticketmaster app and went into the the first night, picked up 4 standing tickets for 101 plus 10 euros fees per ticket..Good luck everyone 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Fair play man, have u been checking regularly?

I haven't but I almost got sorted on the artist pre sale but when I clicked approval from my aib app, this popped up

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Ah OK, nice! You weren't checking randomly in the app and more that there was a mess-up with the presale.

Ya I think they handled the whole situation fairly badly, judging by the pages on here for those who waited hours and hours of artist, mcd and general sales to either get bit lucky or nothing at all..is ridiculous but I'd say they left way to many for the artist pre sale..I remember being in the Sunday page on the artist pre sale day, got through within half an hour but kept getting a circle going around..nothing for ages..I wish I was on here on the day to see what people solution would have been...instead kept tabs on twitter..then I said why not copy the url from my desktop and send email to myself and open it via my phone..it worked..had 2 tickets going to payment page and it crashed..threw me back to the start of the que!

They should have made it clearer which event page was normal priced tickets and vip tickets..

Nice, 4 tickets. Pretty sure its a lot easier to get 4 standing than 4 seated next to each other now. We'll have 1 under 14 with us, our plan was 4 seated or, if not available, 3 standing. My wifes fken aib notification didn't work twice, had great seats in a basket. Had to use my card, then timed out, ended up with 4 nosebleeds. Happy enough with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Glad you got sorted in the end. Some good news from the Ticketmaster end of things .I panicked on the pre-sale and got a V.i.P. seat for over the odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Med101007

Yeah we also had great tickets in our basket and the AIB notification took too long and it timed out. There seems to be a lot of cases where this happened to other people. Anyone know what the story was with the AIB notification not working? Like how did the AIB app not recognise it was Ticketmaster requesting the payment? I get that it was ultra busy on presale day but surely a bank as big as AIB could have sorted their notification process. Lots of people were let down on the day I believe.

I had some problems with aib notifications in the past, but i use a business card, different authentication app. Now i always login to the app first before purchase and so far so good. But it didn't work with my wifes regular card when she tried to book a hotel not long ago. Could a phone brand play a role in it (Xiaomi)?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Battery optimisation could be sleeping the app and not allowing notifications through.

I would exclude the AIB from any sleep or battery optimisation and try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

I've had that with PTSB before, thankfully only for smaller gigs which won't sell out but incredibly frustrating

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The aib authorisation is just a poorly designed app. I could log in to the app, browse my accounts and still be waiting for the notification. I also missed out on tickets due to it and it's not just with tickets, it's always a flaky notification. Revolut is bullet prove and also has one less step than aib, where you have to click the button on the webpage to say you have authorised. Revolut does it automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Spicy ....... 😂

Wow, take a bit of petty cash for that then.

Left with what ? 25-30mill ?

Shur god love em ..... A terrible year for them.... 😏

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

AIB notification is disaster at the best of times...It just be easier to have 1 tap to confirm it is you purchasing instead of actually going into the app putting in your number and then back and hoping by the time you do that you don't get kicked out or site crashes...

They must have released a lot more on artist pre sale then the MCD and general sale put together which is scandalous to say the very least!

Oh ya, how much roughly if you don't mind me asking? Guess at least you got tickets unlike alot of people...If you are fan of something that you really like I believe that you should do it as you may only get one opportunity to do so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I’m checking the ticket master app and it’s telling me for each night there is low availability for the show (yellow bar) and limited availability for the enhanced experiences (red bar).

When I click into either of them for any of the nights it tells me there are no seats. (I’m searching for two seats).

I’ve also done a search for a single ticket and it’s the same story.

Why is it saying there’s some sort of availability if there isn’t?

Or am I doing something silly?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Not doing anything silly. It basically means that it's not sold out yet but that the last tickets aren't available at the moment (production hold tickets, unassigned corporate seats etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Ah I get ya.

So do we know when these last tickets go on sale or are they drip fed?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,382 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

If they do release them (which is likely), it'll likely be random drops and pure chance in catching some when available unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Yeah though with the €20 tickets they are doing those will be announced in advance with an on sale date. Realistically might be next spring or early summer before that allotment goes on sale as it’s the tickets held back for production purposes.

as other have said the week of there will be a few hundred tickets going at a minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Checked on the app for the Monday night gig and pitch standing tickets are available for €101 plus fees in case anyone is looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Good spot. Pitch tickets for Monday available

• Registered Users Posts: 10,275 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭griffin100

Cheers, got 2 a few minutes ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

A fair aul whack il tell ye.Probably never do it again though.

Advertisement