Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You only get what you give

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Ah very good. I’m not sure if I’ll make it down myself as it’s my husbands birthday but if I do hopefully we’ll get to say hello! That’s brilliant you are coaching the kids. I took mine to athletics a couple of years ago and didn’t work out at the time. The younger guy would love it now but too many other activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Good stuff sure he might fancy a trip to Tralee! You should negotiate a discount on the race from your coach ;-) It's for a good cause in fairness so nice to support if possible. Yeah I have been coaching juvenile athlete for 6-7 years now, usually a few sessions a week from 6 to 17 year olds so a broad range! I enjoy it and my daughter takes part so when I joined my athletic club I was asked by the head coach at the time would I like to help out/do assistant coaching. I knew my daughter would be joining the club in a few years thought it nice to get involved and learn the ropes. Plus when you work from home as I have been doing since 2015 it's a good way to get out and meet people. It's through running and athletics is how I know pretty much anyone I know in Kerry.

Kids have some range of activities to chose from, in your case there I'd always say to the child and the parent if I saw them around the area that you're always welcome to come back. We've had a few athletes who were with the club at a young age, went off to other sports or no sports for a few years but have came back now so good to let them know the option is there.

Log update, been 6 weeks since the last update so better catch up and get into the habit of a weekly update hopefully!

Completed my first 10K since early November last night and thankfully all appears to be okay on the niggle front, been quite frustrating since early Sept when I picked up the foot injury and from then it went from one niggle to the next...all the time whilst having the foot issue. Maybe I should just have stopped running completely for a time. My foot seems to be okay at the moment, it's not 100% yet but far better in the last month whilst I have been building up slowly again. I have been be able to get up to running 4/5 days a week at a variety of paces (no intervals yet mind). Distance wise, I am running 5-8K most frequently these days and usually at easy pace or steady pace. I did a few parkruns/races over the Christmas period. Mid 24min pace for the 5K, this takes a bit more work than I would like but finished these runs with final K my fastest K in each time so sandbagging at the start a bit. My fitness is not where I'd like to be but that will come in time with consistency. My club is hosting an 8K race next weekend on Sunday 15th so I am planning to race that, sub 40 is my target. Following that on the running front I am going to target 5Ks for the first half of the year, will do a few races here and there and use parkruns to gauge progress. I am hoping the scheduling of the county road race is confirmed soon as would like to target one. Usually it's on in late Feb/early March. On the throws side of things I have playing around with discus a little bit and also the shot, so will train across a few throws disciplines this season (including javelin and weight for distance). Shot and WFD is what I focused on last year but javelin is my favourite of all but did not compete in it last year due to a lack of training and practice....feel I have the most unfinished business there but I want to crack 6 meters with the shot this year too (5.99m is my pb which was set in 2022).

I finished 2022 with 1932.9km so at least an improvement on 2021 but not as high as previous years. I'd like to get my mileage back up to hopefully 2019/2018 levels again but I need to increase supplementary work like S&C to support that. Rather than simply chasing miles I also am considering changing some of my easy mileage to getting out on the bike in an effort to hopefully get through a year injury free. I can manage 4/5 days a week running and would like to run 6 days a week but that might not work for me at the moment so twice a week on the bike could work well.

2021 - 1798.4km

2020 - 2301.6km

2019 - 2331.60km

2018 - 2436.5km

2017 - 2333km

2016 - 1814km

No running PBs in 2022, looking back if I discount some of the time trial efforts I recorded 2020 the last racing pb I set was back in 2019, not sure realistically what I can target this year but the parkrun one might be one I could have a try over the first half of the year if things go well.

1 Mile   00:06:07   Time trial 2020

3K   00:12:09   Time trial 2020

5K   00:20:58   Time trial 2020

parkrun   00:21:42   Tralee parkrun 2019

4 Miles   00:28:31   Munster Road Championships 2017

5 Miles   00:36:25   Raheny 5 mile 2017

10K   00:44:41   Rose of Tralee 10K 2019

10 Mile   01:13:53   Kingdom Come 10 Miler 2018

Half Marathon   01:40:23   Charleville Half Marathon 2017

Marathon   03:43:41   Tralee Marathon 2017

50K   04:33:58   Donadea 50K 2018

I have entry for DCM again, will focus on that come June/July. Maybe a different training plan this time as Hanson's hasn't worked out for me in the last two marathon cycles I had tried in that I got injured both times and failed to make the start line. Probably not the plan I use next time even if I did enjoy it.

On the coaching side of things I am head coach for the juvenile side of my club this year, it's a new role for me with my club. I have been contributing to some aspects of the head coach function for a few years so hopefully will go okay. We have agreed a goal for the year for the club so generally now it's just planning and coordinating training sessions to that goal, resources (coaches and parents) and facilities (we don't own our own) and it is a challenge at times. I recently completed the AAI Level 2 coaching course for throws, this took place in Athlone over the course of the 3 weekends (one in Oct and the first two in Dec) and really enjoyed it. I felt I got a lot from it which hopefully will be make me a better coach (and a better master's athlete in my own events). I very much enjoy meeting people at these courses and sharing experiences and knowledge. Athletics is a pretty small community in Ireland so it's brilliant to get to chat with coaches of some high profile athletes and hear how they do things. If things go well this year I'll probably look to complete the AAI Level 2 coaching course for endurance next year.

Outside of sport work is in a bit of weird limbo place at the moment, my role is changing but as of yet not defined so I'm currently in a role supporting those doing the work rather than do the work I have doing for the last 12 years. I am looking forward to what comes next and hoping retraining is not too far away. I have a few courses coming up over the next few months, will take a few hours per week but hopefully manageable.

I have enjoyed following a number of logs this year on boards, I'm a regular kudoser/thanks buttoner even if I don't actually comment much on things barring a thanks and well done. Thanks for sharing your experiences and please keep it up and special well done to all the award winners in the yearly polls.

Best of luck to all for the year ahead.

Post edited by diego_b on

Best of luck to you D in 2023. I really hope you stay injury free and make Dublin this year.

Fair play taking on the head coach roll. That’s a lot of work I’d say and I hope plenty people show their appreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Good to see you on the mend. Fair play on stepping up on the coaching front. I'll probably see you next week at the Tom Kelly 8k.

• Advertisement

Thanks K, well done on your great year of PBs and hopefully you get over your recent injury soon. There is a bit to it alright but in fairness you do get thanked here and there.

Thanks D, thankfully seem to be motoring well enough now. Have to be careful not to overdo it so will be an easy week this week and hopefully try for sub 40 at the race. Great stuff, will see you there no doubt.

Mon 2nd Jan

After parkrunning efforts on Sat & Sun I took today off, happy with both runs as it was 24:34 in Tralee on Sat and 24:40 in Listowel on Sun (NYD). Listowel is a tougher/slower course than Tralee I find but I always enjoy the run there. Having to dig in tough on the 3rd lap at that hill always means you seem to get an extra drive back down the hill on the last K. I was happy with my time in Listowel as ran it mostly to effort and didn't check my watch after the first lap.

Tues 3rd Jan

Last day of the Christmas hols for me before back to work on Wed so got a nice mid morning run at 11am. Just the 8K easy in 46:10 @ 5:45min/km.

Wed 4th Jan

Originally was planning to run at lunchtime but didn't happen so said I'd run after coaching in the evening but by the time I got home it was 8:45pm so decided to leave it off and try for a longer run on Thursday.

Thurs 4th Jan

First 10K since early November, back then I was still running longer distances but it wasn't comfortable and was still getting pain/discomfort in my foot and elsewhere but thankfully no issues on this run. I had a little fist pump when I finished my run reminding me of my first ever 10K run back in early 2014. 10K easy in 58:45 @ 5:51min/km.

Fri 4th Jan

Planned rest day ahead of giving the parkrun a decent crack the next day.

Sat 5th Jan

Best laid plans would have had me arriving at Tralee parkrun probably 9/9:10am to do a decent warmup ahead of a planning harder run (aiming for sub 24) so naturally arrived at 9:25am approx with just time for about a 300m jog. So hard to get everyone out of the house some mornings.

Lined up on 2/3rd row and away we went, I had decided that I would start off a bit faster than recently and see how it would play out over the run, Tralee is a 3 lap course of equal distance for each lap so I like check my cumulative time on each lap as the GPS doesn't work so great with the trees. Lap 1, felt good and clocked 7:54. Second lap...kept the effort the same and checking the watch at the end of the lap I saw 15:47 so still on target. Lap 3, everything feels like it's slowing down but for the last K I pushed on the effort a little bit more, was happy to find it was there when I went for it and ran hard all the through to the finish. Hit the watch and checked the time, 23:30. Meant I had managed to run the last lap quicker than the first two which was good pretty good pacing. A cool down lap with a clubmate then was good and then caught up with my wife and daughter who were walking.

Sun 6th Jan

Few options for running meetups today, local running group were doing a run in town in the morning which I would have done only my club were doing a director's run of the Tom Kelly 8K race we're hosting next week so said I'd do that instead. The director's run wasn't on till 3pm which was a small pain being in the middle of the day as rather run in the mornings at weekend. Beforehand I went around the course and touched up the KM markers when due to the volume of linemarker I put down last year were still visible in most places and I had taken photos for reference from last year to be able to ensure to get the exact same markings from the course measurer. For the run itself it was a small affair with just 6 of us as it turned out but an enjoyable run. 8K in 41:24 @ 5:07min/km.

Late night staying up to see the Packers unfortunately not make the playoffs. Disappointing end to a strange season which seemed to have got new life in the last month but pretty sure it would have ended next weekend anyways even if they had got through.

Weekly total: 33.4K

Year to date: 41.6K

Nice run at Tralee Parkrun. Well done!!

Thanks, a little bit of a peak before a new niggle unfortunately (my old friend the calf muscle checked in to remind me they are still there) but will grand in a few weeks.

Mon 9th Jan

Easy paced club run in Tralee with a mix of my AC and Tralee Triathlon Club. A shade over 5K pace at very easy pace, much easier than I'd normally run on my own but I keep with the group pace on their recovery run. A few of my club's juniors joined for this run too so I spent a bit of the run "encouraging" them to give the club's 8K race a go at the upcoming weekend. 5.4K in 38:13 @ 7:13min/km.

Tues 10th Jan

Rest day from running but did some practice with shot putt, weight for distance (I use a 10K kettlebell for throwing at home) and discus and worked a bit with my daughter on her turbo jav and shot put. Then when planning the S&C portion of training for tomorrow evening's training I did two rounds of it with my daughter. Nothing crazy but lunges, squats, various planks, russian twists were completed.

Wed 11th Jan

Lunchtime run, 6.5K easy incl strides. With the planned race coming up at the weekend I wanted to add some strides into this easy run. Just did 4x15secs, just focusing on getting up to a good pace and watching form. Unfortunately due to horrendous wind and rain club training had to be cancelled this evening.

Thurs 12th Jan

10K easy in 63mins @ 6:17min/km, very windy run this and for the first half I was being blown along the road. In the last 2K I could feel a small bit of tightness in my right calf but just kept running. Ordered myself an olympic bar and a few 5K bumper plates as a new toy for home to work on a bit of strength work.

Fri 13th Jan

Rest day and unfortunately could feel might right calf a little bit so was a bit concerned with the club's 8K race coming up on Sunday.

Sat 14th Jan

Ahead of the race I had signed up for tailwalking at parkrun this weekend with my daughter. It's one of the volunteer roles I have not done to date so wanted to check it off the list. It was grand to do now, little bit boring on the 3rd/last lap as most of the runners have finished at that stage so it gets quiet with only a few walkers ahead of you. Home then to see United beat city, delighted with the result and finally we appear to have a manager. Also I no longer understand offside. Later that evening I assisted at number collection for the race in Ardfert. When I got home I said I may check the calf to see if any hope of doing the race tomorrow, I could feel it slightly on the walk but not much. I did around 800m on the treadmill and knew I wouldn't be running. Still there was plenty of work for the club tomorrow so could slot in where needed.

Sun 15th Jan

Arrived in Ardfert with my wife and daughter at 7:45 to facilitate number collection. A busy time in fits and bursts but got to meet many of those planning to run or walk in the race...@DeepBlue of these parts was looking forward to it. We were packing up to leave the community centre and had a few last minute people for entry and collection but just got the stuff into the car on time and got up to see the start of the race take off. The weather looked like it was going to play ball for the timeslot of the race thankfully, we only need around an hour of a window for it really. Once the race started I headed over to finish line to assist my wife with number recording and results processing. Small bit of a challenge to process manual results of a live race and work out the various age category prizes which were aiming to present if possible. Originally I planned to do this at the finish line whilst watching the runners come in but after the first 10mins of finishers (26min-36min approx) the weather changed so I had to scarper to the car with the sheet of results to work on. Horror of horror then somewhere in the middle of it all the first sheet of the results went missing on me and I could not find it for love or money. I felt proper sick and what would I do, I searching high and low in and around the car but no luck. Before going to make my confession of horror to the race directors with one final look I went around the corner of the school and about 10 meters up the footpath I spotted an A4 sheet of paper lying facedown in a puddle of water...I was like oh sweet f, first please be the sheet and secondly I was so worried when I turned it around what would it look like (having been freshly written on) and then being in a puddle of water for a good 5-10mins (or moreso what felt like an eternity until I found it) but when I picked it up carefully and turned it around my prayers were answered that it was the sheet I was missing and it looked okay with nothing missing. I quickly and carefully brought it back to my car and took a picture of it (and the subsequent sheets that came my way) to begin processing. Never again will I do results processing!!

Weekly total: 21.9K

Year to date: 63.5K

• Advertisement

And you looked so calm and relaxed while all that was happening - I'd never have guessed. If it was me I think I'd probably have aged 10 years.

Best of luck with the recovery from the niggle. Hopefully it's swift.

Seem to have got over the calf niggle now so time for a catchup

Mon 16th Jan

5.2K in 38:43 @ 7:25mim/km. Very club run in Tralee. Calf felt fine enough here.

Tue 17th Jan

5K in 31:35 @ 6:17min/km. Things do not feel so good here so decided a break from running for a bit was needed and to try rehab the calf....have had a few of these over the years around marathon training so didn't feel the need for a physio visit as pretty confident I could get it sorted in a few weeks with some rest and strength work.

Sat 21st Jan

With the National indoor masters coming up in two weeks I have been working on my throws every 2nd/3rd day. Being unable to do my regular running meant I had more time and motivation to spend time on throws. Spent around an hour at the club's training field training on my own covering shot putt, weight for distance, discus and javelin. I also threw a hammer for the first time...bit of (dangerous) fun that one. I record myself taking the throws then watch them back and try use an impartial coaches eye on corrections I need to make. Shot Put is my main focus at the moment and the big thing I have to work on is my speed and footwork going from the back to the front of the circle. For those anyway familiar with the event I use a glide movement (same as what you see most multi eventers using) but experimenting a little bit with rotation....what you'll normally see watching international throwers. Rotation takes a lot of work (years) to get the balance right but it's easier on the body and it allows more throws in training the force required (plus the way you hold the shot) is different. Happy with this session as I was within striking distance of my pbs in Shot & WFD and aiming to break them at the nationals.

Sun 22nd Jan

Hike with some running mates who I haven't actually managed to run with in ages, this was in Tonevane which is an area going out the Dingle peinsula starting a little bit out the road and up the hills from Blenerville. Nice area for some trial running which I've done a few times over the years and you can go all the way along this route (known as the Kerry Camino) to Dingle. In this case it was a walk/hike of 11K that took around 2.5 hours.

Thurs 26th Jan

First attempt at a run. Just used a local 5K loop that is pretty flat. Could feel my calf after just over 3K so just stopped and walked the rest of the loop. Disappointed but realistic this will take a bit more time. 3.7K in 22:21 @ 6min/km.

Sat 28th Jan

Tralee parkrun's 8th birthday so didn't want to miss it, my daughter got a nice award for being a junior volunteer this year. We walked it together and took us 53:14.

Sun 29th Jan

Some early morning coaching at An Riocht assisting our hurdles coach with two of our juvenile athletes who will be competing in hurldes at the upcoming Munster indoors. After their session ended I used the shot put circle for around 45mins to work on my throws...forgot my measuring tape unfortunately so had to guestimate my distances by stepping it out and also using an app on my phone and happy with how it went. Again set up my phone/tripod for videoing/self coaching and finding that working well. Just as a I was finishing up a coach who was arriving with his athlete to coach gave me some tips on things he'd noticed in my throws so that was good as well for a big of reenforcment to what I see myself.

Tues 31st Jan

Time for another test run, just running from home after work I said I'd be conservative and not try for 5K (which I usually consider the shortest run I would do training), so tentative steps out and did 3.5K in 21:29 @ 6:03min/km. Felt okay, fitness not good at all but expect that as it drops off so fast unfortunately I find.

Thurs 2nd Feb

Okay a 5K test this time, my college course ends at 6pm on a Thursday so would be running in the dark but just took it nice and easy and ran to Causeway and back home again. 30:17 @ 6:02min/km. I joked on Strava about this that my calf muscle transplant has been completed and building up again so chalked off the niggle then to focus more on building up again.

Fri 3rd Feb

Some shot put and weight for distance training at home at lunchtime and feeling good for the national masters on Sunday. That evening my club held a training session for the Ukrainian children staying at Banna resort. It was pretty special to be honest and fun which was the main aim of the session. As head coach I'd set the plan for the session and it was great seeing it come together and the kids enjoy it. It was a challenge to coach young kids when we don't speak each other's language it's amazing how you find a way and it just worked. We'll be doing a few of these in the coming weeks and our own members are invited to attend as it's a club training session.

Sun 4th Feb

National Masters Indoors

First time competing at this event in Athlone as I have always shied away from it but given I'd put a good stint of throws training in particularly in the last month I was looking forward to it. Having researched those entered in my age category...there was four of us in the o40s on the day (same 4 in shot and wfd) I knew I was unlikely to be getting some medals but that's fine. Over the last few years I've accumumlated a full set of gold/silver/bronze in county, provencial and national level masters and in some cases it's because there is only a few competing in your age category so just turning up means a medal. So with those on the medal my target was to break my pbs in Shot (5.99m from the outdoor National Masters last Aug) and WFD (3.05m from the same event).

Clubmates were competing across a range of events before me so I watched them compete in High Jump, Long Jump and Racewalk before my event. For the warmup throws I deliberately threw a lighter shot (6kg) in warmup as I've messed up in warmup previously with throwing my weight (7.26kg shot) and due to lack of training probably wasted my best throw. In this case I have built up more endurance through volume work so was curious to see could I improve through the rounds instead of my best throwing being my first and then dropping off. The results for the shot throws were as follows, 6.41, 6.52, foul on the third, 6.58. Absolutely delighed with that series of throws, probably my best ever set in any throws event and a great way to finally crack 6 meters. For the foul on the third through my arm had just dropped away so it was called foul but I had got it out to over 6 again. 3 clean throws and each one further than the previous was a great buzz for me and reward for work done.

After a few hours wait I took part in the weight for distance event with the same set of competitors, the 56lbs (25kg) weight is a beast of a thing but like the 7.26kg in the shot that's weight I'll throw until I hit 50 (in 9 years). Again it would be 4 throws and the series went as follows, 3.25, 3.32, 3.23, 3.55. Again delighted with those throws and to manage to get it out further again with my final throw was a great buzz.

In both competitions I finished 4th out of the 4 competitors but I didn't think it could have went any better as I broke my pbs in both events by half a meter which is massive in these types of events, I am coming from a low enough level to be able to do that but it was great to see progress. I love these events and would recommend anyone who is a member of an athletics club to get involved with the track and field side also, as road runners we often shy away from track and field but like shying away from cross country you are missing a massive aspect to our sport and the masters competitions are very accessible whatever your age or background. In fact the people I get to meet at these events from clubs from around the county are without doubt the nicest and more supportive people you could ever meet.

Mon 6th Feb

Up home in Laois, 6.5K easy in 37:28 @ 5:45min/km. Used a regular loop for this which takes me through my home village of Borris-in-Ossory. Glad to hear recently that a ghost estate that was left idle for over 10 years now is being taken over by the council and will be completed. The village looks very tired in some areas these days in many of the older building such as the local hotel (where the buses used to stop) and a few pubs & shops that have closed for a number of years and in some cases gone to ruin. The population has grown in the village but I do wonder what will become of it all at times as services just don't seem to be in place that used to be there. It does give me hope when I hear of regeneration projects in social or business scenarios and they are coming. Work on playground for the village is progressing well and will be a great addition.

Tues 7th Feb

Some shot put and weight for distance training at home.

Wed 8th Feb

Lunchtime run and feels like normalilty of running has returned. 6.5K easy in 36:47 @ 5:38min/km. Very windy day down here so blown out of it a bit. Absolute soaking at training in the evening time, in my case I was assisting with race walking and hurdles for the young age group and then coaching sprints, shot put, relay and some s&c work with the older age group. A busy two hours but good fun.

Year to date: 93.9K

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats on that National Masters performance, D, unlucky not to get a medal with that level of improvement in both events. I agree with the sentiment about track and field, having embraced the track a bit myself a few years ago for a while, it certainly gives you a different perspective and expands your experience of what it means to be a runner/athlete.

Thurs 9th Feb

23K approx cycle after work in 56mins. First cycle in ages and was only so so with a few loose dogs on the route spooking me a small bit.

Sat 11th Feb

Tralee 10mile/5K for Kerry Hospice.

Bit of an funny one around this race with two 10 milers taking place in Tralee in little over a week of each other. Like waiting for a bus and two come along at the same time. In my case I'm not ready to go anywhere near the 10mile distance yet so wasn't going to be able to do either race but as the first one had the option of the 5K I went with that. It suited where I am at the moment and it was for a good cause too.

I ran this one about as hard as I can at the moment, checking the HRM at a few stages for the most confirmed I was in the max zone so had no more to give. The route is flat and the wind was favourably in bit quite a calm morning. I did slow in the final K of the race a little bit but having gone out hard that was to be expected. So a good test of where fitness at this distance is at the moment. I crossed the finish line in 23:30 and no ill effects to the recently injured calf which was great.

Hung around for a good while afterwards to watch the 10mile race, winning time was super sub 52min run from Oisin Spillane....smashing the course record which was held by the second place finisher Derek Griffin.

Sun 12th Feb

Munster Masters Indoors

Competing in the indoors in Nenagh this time around, I arrived early around 10am to watch the racewalkers from the club competing and putting in serious efforts throughout. I didn't realise that David Kenny and Brendan Boyce were doing a 5K race before that so missed that but Kate Veale was taking part in the women's race and set a new CBP. Some speed those top walkers can move at.

First event for me wasn't until around lunchtime and I was competing in the shot put again, I was delighted with the previous weekends effort where I got a new pb of 6.58m so figure probably not much more to come at the moment but it was another good day. Four throws again, 6.49, 6.73, 6.89, 6.68. Again I was thrilled to be improving through the rounds and for the last one I gave it my best in the hope of maybe cracking 7m but it came off my hand a bit awkward (thought I had fouled the throw) but all the same came away with a gold medal in the o40s (only one in my age category) but nice to get it and a new pb of 6.89. Speaking with a coach in another club afterwards who I have a lot of time for he reckons I can get to 8m so have a target that will take a bit of work!

Second event for me was the weight for distance, not as good a series of throws this time, 3.20, 3.38, 3.39, 3.45. Having got a new pb of 3.55 in the wfd the previous weekend and the shot having gone so well I was getting selfish thinking I'd see improvements here but no such luck. Anyways, another gold medal in the o40s. I was a little bit distracted during the rounds here as my daughter was in my vicinity so my focus was not right so something to work on for next time.

My wife also competed on the day, in the women's weight for distance and also got a shiny gold medal for her troubles. My Da was also competing in shot (o70) and wfd (o70) and took home some medals too so a good day all around.

Mon 13th Feb

Club run in Tralee, 5.4K in 36min @ 6:39min/km.

Tue 14th Feb

Bit of S&C work. Heel raises, lunges and squats are what I am generally doing at the moment.

Wed 15th Feb

Lunchtime run, 7K steady in 40min @ 5:42min/km.

Fri 17th Feb

Lunchtime run, 6K easy in 36min @ 6min/km

Sat 18th Feb

Tralee parkrun with my daughter, 5K in 41:40.

Spent a lot of the afternoon watching the National Senior Indoor Championshipson the youtube stream. Some great action, the live stream works well for running events but field events suffer big time not having a proper upclose camera on them.

Sun 19th Feb

Tralee Triathlon Club come & try duathlon

These events by the local tri club have been on my radar for a long time but have often clashed with athletics events but nicely this one didn't so said I'd give it a go.

Last time I did a multi sport event was the Dingle Adventure Race back in 2017 and I have no memory of doing a "brick" (bike and cycle) session in many years, and with one cycle so far this year I was ideally prepared for this. Anyways something different, so arrived to Ballyseedy an hour before the event and racked my bike. Laid out my cycle shoes to change into after the run, little towel to stand one to not bring stones into my shoe.

After a briefing the race kicked off at 10am, first part of the race was an out and back run. I decided not to go out too hard here as with the unknown of it all. Of the 25 participants I think I was in around 7th or 8th place after the first run.

3.3K run in 15:56 @ 4:46min/km

Just over a minute in transition, onto the bike. On the cycle I managed to pass two people and was passed by two also so no net gain in position. Figured the cycling would be my weaker aspect to such an event. One of the guys that passed me on his bike passed me at a rate of knots with around 2K to go to transition but said I'd try keep him in sight and catch him on the run.

14.1K cycle in 30:20 @ 28kph

Final part of the event was back to running, this was the part that concerned me most was going from the run to the bike as your legs feel very odd here. Bit of downhill to the start of the out and back course probably didn't help but after a K the legs started to feel a bit more normal. Plenty of fatigue in the system now but I focused on catching the two up ahead of me who passed me on the bike. I caught one guys after 1.5K and the other guy (young chap) I passed around 2K. Keep the effort up as didn't want to get passed by anyone.

3.3K run in 15:45 @ 4:43min/km

In the end finished maybe 7th or 8th overall, no results for this as just an introductory event but it was good fun for something different.

Home then to watch United keep up the momentum which is making me happy these days and then catching up the National Senior Indoor Championships on the youtube stream.

Year to date: 125.90K

Congrats on the whole B family for the impressive medal haul.

Is that Come & Try duathlon event a yearly thing? If so I must give it a lash next year.

Thanks D.

Certainly that one is as they've done it a few times previously that I have seen, they advertise their events on the Tralee Triathlon Club fb page so keep an eye on that. They hold a Spring and Summer series of different things. They have a trail version coming up soon that involves trial running and trail cycling but whilst the former would be fine, the trail cycle really would not be at all plus I don't have a bike for it. I signed up for this though -> https://hardman.ie/races/hardman-duathlon-killarney/

Doing a few different things in the first half of this year, my plan is a shorter marathon cycle for Dublin and hopefully make it this time!

Mon 20th Feb

Club run in Tralee, 5.8K in 43min @ 7:31min/km.

Tue 21st Feb

Some calf strengthening work.

Wed 22nd Feb

Lunchtime run, 7.5K easy in 46:26min @ 6:11min/km.

Fri 24th Feb

Lunchtime run, 5.2K easy in 31min @ 5:56min/km

Sun 26th Feb

After two long days at indoor track in Nenagh for the Munster Indoor for U12s-U19s, busy days but good success for our athletes. Personal bests across the board for all competing and a few medalists too which is a good sign that things are going well ahead of the county championships at the start of May. Few things to work on as ever but that is always the case with competition.

10K easy in 62mins @ 6:11min/km, up at my parents place for the night before working in Dublin for a few days. First 10K run in 6 weeks and it went fine so nice to be getting up the distance again.

Very similar week to last week and it will be the same again for the week ahead albeit Sunday will have a bit of variety as I need to get the bike out again and do some run bike run sessions.

Year to date: 154.4K

Mon 27th Feb

Up in Dublin for work so first run in the Phoenix Park in around 6 months, just a 6K out and back up Chesterfield Ave. 6K in 37min @ 6:10min/km.

Wed 29th Feb

Lunchtime run, 7.5K steady in 38:24min @ 5:28min/km.

Thur 1st Mar

S&C work for my calves.

Fri 2nd Mar

Post work run, 8K easy in 47:50min @ 5:58min/km. Off to see Kerry FC play Treaty United then in the evening with my daughter. Bit of a novelty having a League of Ireland team so near to where I live now so guess I can support my local team now as well. They drew 1-1 which is the first league points they have ever won.

Sat 3rd Mar

Nenagh indoors with our young relay teams, 3x teams on the day and they did great. It's a good way for them to experience competing at that level and getting used to the facility. Back again to Nenagh for the final time on Sunday coming. It'll be the 5th trip to indoors there since mid Feb.

Sun 4th Mar

Brick session, Run, Cycle, Run

I have a duathlon coming up on 1st April so that's the focus for now. That event will be 10K run, 40K cycle, 5K run so I wanted to get some practice in and get my distances up a bit. Prescribed myself a 6K run, 30K approx cycle (distances are a bit more approx in cycling), 5K run...and with transition practice too.

6K in 32mins @ 5:20min/km (kept this at steady pace and would plan to do the same on race day, I'm not going to win the thing and it's outside my comfort zone)

2min transition (unlock the house, change of footwear, helmut on, lights turned on on bike, cycling jacket on, bring bike outside, lock the house, gloves on, watch started, go)

28.99K cycle in 65mins @ 26.7kph (found this tough going over the last 5-10K, effort was high)

1:56min transition (gloves off, unlock the house, put the bike inside, change of footwear, jacket off, helmut off, lock the house, watch started, go)

5K in 24:15mins @ 4:51min/km, last two Ks here with 4:34 and 4:27 so around my best 10K pace so was very happy with that.

With the duathlon I did a few weeks back in a race I can get through transition from running to bike in 1-1.5 minutes and around the same from bike to running (doesn't involve unlocking and locking the front door of the house!). I think the average time is around 2.5 minutes so not doing too bad with that stuff. My wife and daughter think I am nuts as they watched me each time but it's fun.

Will be easy running this week mainly but I might try give the parkrun a blast on Saturday. Missing the county road race on Sunday which is a big disappointment but with 25 young athletes due to compete in Munster indoors the same day that's the priority.

Watched as much of the European Indoors as I could over the weekend, either live or after recording it. Bit of a disappointment for Ireland really, missing English, Mageean and Adeleke meant the medal contenders were out but still I don't think it was a great competition with the performances of many below what they would have expected. Darragh McElhinney was so close to nicking a medal you have to wonder if he had gone a little bit earlier but the drop off of the 3rd place runner in that race was exceptional and given Darragh got a pb I don't think he could have done anymore. So close though.

Year to date: 186.4K

Mon 6th Mar

Club run in Tralee, 8.1K in 59:23 @ 7:19min/km. Got a decent soaking during this but still went ahead with my plan to the cinema afterwards to see Creed III....after changing out of my running gear in my car. At an event I was at recently I saw someone going to get changed in the back of their van (Ford Transit) and thought that must be very handy...portable changing room that you can stand in. Creed III was good stuff, formulaic but you get what you came with this movie and expectations around this series and the Rocky series it was spun off from are generally met (expect for Rocky V which is simply bad). Seeing Rocky Balboa in the cinema when that came out was brilliant back in the day, so many good quotes from it.

"...it ain't about how hard you can hit, it's about how you can get hit and keep moving forward" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJHkTtvnUqA&ab_channel=pi1.com

Wed 8th Feb

Lunchtime run, 6K easy in 35:51 @ 5:57min/km.

Thur 9th Mar

Some S&C calf work. Was planning to possibly go for a cycle after work and then college this evening but didn't work out. Can't remember my excuse but if I recall right there was a good bit of slush on the roads from the snow overnight that had since melted. Really didn't fancy a potential fall.

Did some throws practice at home instead, shot putt went okay...wrist a little sore after but the weight for distance went great. Always find that with throws it's hard to get all things working well on the same day.

Fri 10th Mar

Lunchtime run, 7K easy in 41:11@ 5:52min/km. Could feel my right calf a little bit here which was disappointing. I had been planning giving parkrun a good run the next day so canned that.

That was it for the week then, no parkrun on Sat and ended up going to Killarney for a few hours with my wife and daughter. By the time we got back it was late in the evening and I had some baking to do. My club were hosting the county road race the next day so I made some 3x batches of Gilly bars (see David Gillick's Good food from the Track to the Table book)...they always go down well. Was missing a few ingredients I'd normally have but had the key one which are essentially oats, peanut butter, honey, raisins, coconut oil.

Sunday morning was out the door at 7am to head for the Nenagh Indoors for what turned out to be a very successful day for our juvenile athletes where they came away with 2x gold, 1x silver and 1x bronze. This adding to the 3x medals (1x silver, 2x bronze) won a few weeks back by our U12-U19s capped off a very successful Munster Indoor seasons. After 5x trips to Nenagh in the last 5 weekends it's nice to be finished there for this year.

Planning to go for a run on the greenway in Listowel on my way home but it was 6:30pm by the time I got in the vicinity and getting dark so just left it for the evening. Poor week of running but hopefully back on track next week.

The county road race went off great which I was delighted to see and hear, I had proposed it around this time last year that the club would host it (knowing we would do a good job as we have a good reputation for road races) and it was a record entry for the event. We'll hopefully see all the club runners back for the Banna run on 6th of August when we'll have our annual 10K and 5K road race on the August Bank Holiday weekend.

Year to date: 207.5K

Mon 13th Mar

Club run in Tralee, 8K in 55mins @ 6:52min/km. First 5K of this was with the tri club and then the last 3K was on my own. Avg pace for the first 5K was around 7:10min/km, last 3K was around 6:20min/km.

Tues 14th Feb

Cycle after work, 24.2K in 58min @ 25.2kph.

Wed 15th Mar

Due to the yellow weather rainfall warning training from 6-7pm for the U8-U12s was cancelled so meant I had an extra half an hour after work so did my Wed run then before heading over for the 6:30pm session with the U13+. 5.2K in 29:54 @ 5:45min/km. Ran the reverse of a regular loop I use near home, can't recall the last time I ran it backwards so was quite strange to me given how familiar I am with running it the clockwise direction.

Thurs 16th Mar

My parents were down for the weekend and with my ac running it's C25K session in Tralee this evening I said I'd go in and run with my wife on her run. My father who's also a member of club came too....given he lives in Laois it's rare he gets to attend a club training run so it was good that he around to be able to. 5K in 38:38 @ 7:42min/km (with approx 5mins walking as part of that).

Fri 17th Mar

Was planning to do another cycle here but ended up not happening, so said I'll give the parkrun a good push the next day.

Sat 18th Mar

Tralee parkrun in 23:18, this felt pretty tough....avg heart rate 186bpm. Now wrist based hrm can be questionable at times but I knew I was at max effort and could not run any faster. Going on the second of the three laps a club mate of mine came right up behind me and then stayed behind for half a lap before passing me and then beckoning me to stay with him for the rest of the run. I hadn't told anyone of my plan to run it hard but guess he spotted that I was running faster than recently so was assisting....tbh I doubt I would have got the time without him but still at least once when he was a bit ahead of me I was tempted to walk to try get rid of him. It's my fastest parkrun since around this time last year when I recorded 22:49. It would be nice to get down into the 22s again over the next few months.

Warmup before this was very short, less than a K (the challenges of trying to get people out of the house in the morning) and did a 1K cool down afterwards.

Sun 19th Mar

Another club run, this time in Ballyheigue using the local 10K race route there. One of the coaches in the club due to attend was sick so asked would I do VI guide with a VI runner in our club. It's been a while since I did it but I was happy to do it as very familiar with the route we'd be running. My guidee is a faster runner than me so said I'd like to try keep it to around 6min/km if possible as I'd ran the parkrun hard (for me) the previous day...he was grand with that but as we ran we chatted away and then it was lashing raining at times so ended up being 10.4K in 57:26 @ 5:31min/km on what is a hilly course.

Club training this evening then between 6-8pm for our U9-U12s ahead of the county development games next weekend.

For the week ahead there is a charity cycle on Saturday morning that I might do with some friends. Sunday will be a busy day with our young athletes competing again so will have to work around that to get a run in. Planning to keep things easy for the week ahead after Saturday and Sunday's effort. Been thinking more about the rest of the year so thinking of doing the graduates 5-10K plan after I have the duathlon completed in two weeks. Including the base phase before hand that would take me to August and all being well I would commence marathon training with a 12 week plan then. I am looking at revisiting the training plan I last used back in 2018 which I ran 3:51 with in Dublin back then. After two failed attempts with Hanson Marathon Method's I won't be using it this time, it's not you it's me Hanson Marathon Method.

Weekly total: 35.3K, highest total so far this year.

Year to date: 242.8K

• Advertisement

Mon 20th Mar

Club run in Tralee, 8K easy in 54:40mins @ 6:49min/km. First 4K of this was with the tri club and then the last 4K was on my own.

Tues 21th Feb

Calf work.

Wed 22nd Mar

Ahead of juvenile coaching that evening I started work earlier so I could finish work earlier. Got out at 4pm for 8K easy in 48mins @ 6min/km on an out/back route from home. I bought my first pair of carbon plated shoes the previous week and they arrived that morning so was keen to try them out. Puma Deviate Nitro 2 that cost 90 quid delivered so I considered that a good price and the reviews for the shoe were good. They felt good on the run, pretty firm underneath so would like to probably keep them for faster work than easy runs.

Thurs 23rd Mar

Some resistance band work for throws events.

Fri 24th Mar

5K easy in 30:36 @ 6:06min/km. I was going to track in Castleisland that evening for training with our national indoors bound juveniles so again started work early so I could finish early. I was going to go on the treadmill but then it looked like it was clearing so got out the door and onto the road as the heavens opened up again. I was only going to be running for half an hour so just got going. Funnily enough about 5mins into the run a car pulled up beside my and asked did I need a lift anywhere as I was soaked. I said I was grand thanks. I enjoy running in the rain...once chaffing is avoided!

Training at the track then where I was first looking after the racewalkers and then a middle distance runner. Job done and off to see Kerry FC (met my wife and daughter there) play at home. They lost again unfortunately, hopefully that first win comes soon.

Sat 25th Mar

Fenit Coastal Cycle 60K (62K in 2hr 43mins cycling, a few breaks in there as was with a group)

After horrendous weather the previous evening it was a lovely day for this, starting off in Fenit we cycled towards Tralee before out to Ardfert and Ballyheigue (almost home territory for me really) and then around the Kerryhead before back to Ardfert and back to Fenit. Lovely event this and glad to have done it, a few running mates were doing it so cycled with them for the most part with pushing on here or there and then stopping as we caught up together.

Sun 26th Mar

Sportshall Games this morning for my club's U9-12s. This was taking place over in Killorglin (45/50min drive away) so I was over there for just after 9am to be ready for when the athletes would arrive at 9:30. Warmed up, group photo and then into the action with sprints, standing jump, speed bounce, shot put and relays the events of the day. A very busy day getting everyone to where they needed to be. It was done by 2pm which was good going. It was a great as the club finished in second place overall which was a good result for an event where we didn't focus on it this year as much as previous years, our relay teams did very well again with 3 golds and one bronze scored from 8 teams that ran. Bodes well for the weeks ahead with more competitions to come for them.

What was a good day now didn't end so well for me unfortunately. Went for food on the way home with my wife and daughter and then took it handy for a few hours to let dinner settle and then did some coaching with my daughter in turbo jav in the back yard. She got some great throws in with her throwing further than ever before by a few meters so that was great. Chat with my brother in law then for some planning around the gardens of our houses for work that needs to be done. Come 8pm and thinking the long evenings are great I'll got for my run now, figuring I'll get 10K done nice and easy and be back for 9pm. Around 7K into the run I felt something not so good in my left calf (opposite side to the most recent injury) so I just stopped and rang my missus to collect me. Can feel it since walking around so guess it's back to being injured for a bit and I find it hard to see being able to do the duathlon that was coming up on Sat (10K run, 40K cycle, 5K run).

Weekly total: 28K

Year to date: 270.8K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Sorry to hear this, hopefully it doesn't last too long!

Oh no. How is it coming along now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry to hear this D, hopefully nothing too serious.

Fantastic work with the club, by the way, and congrats on the excellent results.

Thanks, two weeks down now....getting there!

It's okay K, it's starting to feel a bit better now. Not sure about chancing a run on it, might try something short in the next few days as off work for a week so will see how it reacts.

Thanks D, unfortunately something I've become accustomed to....frustrating that my running load is nowhere near where it was that have caused issues in the past. Thanks on the club stuff too, coming into a very busy period with a triangular match between us and two other clubs coming up on 22nd April....this was my idea, I think I might need my head examined as had enough going on but wanted to get competition experience for as a many of our athletes as possible ahead of the county track and field champs on 1st of May and 14th May.

Hoping to be back on the road this week, certainly will be on the bike at least. I did some throws with the weight last Thursday and no ill effects. On the way back home to Kerry (Wedding in Carlingford on Sat, Christening in Dublin on Sun) I got some shot put training done in Templemore today and whilst a little bit tentative when moving across the circle it was fine really. I bought a massage gun (the influencers and their discount codes eventually worked, I went with the mini gun from Massage Gun Ireland) and I do find it helping.

An overdue catchup, been a very busy time on the athletics front for quite a number of months now but it's on a summer break for the next few weeks so best to get up to date and get the log going again.

On the coaching side my club met our target this year when increased our points total in the juvenile county track and field championship and maintained our 3rd place overall. It's our highest points total since 2012, we've been on an upward trajectory post covid so great to maintain that. We also managed to win more Munster medals and qualified a relay team through to Nationals for the first time in over 15 years. That added to more athletes individually qualifying to Nationals this year for many years was great. A break for a few weeks now and the coaches will meet up again to plan for next year. The first cross county events of the new season will take place towards the end of Sept so not long before back on the merry go round again for another 11 months!

In my own field events I competed in shot put, javelin and weight for distance at counties....managed to get a big pb in the weight for distance where I threw 4.44m. At county level a medal is pretty much a guarantee in these events at the different masters age groups as rarely 3 competitors so got a gold medal in each of those events. Going into Munster there was a change this year where some of the masters and seniors event were spread over two days so there was an option to compete as a Senior on one day and a Master on another day. For info, in the throws events the implement weights as the same as the seniors up to the age of 50 so no concerns with throwing something heavier. I competed in the o40 shot and weight for distance at Munster and got silver medals (only 3 in my age category including a new team mate who will soon be throwing further than me I think) but I didn't get the pbs I was looking for. I decided to go back to Templemore again for the Seniors day and competed (my first time as a Senior in a throws event). Shot put went even worse that day but I had my best even day at the weight for distance when I won a Senior bronze medal with a throw of 4.43m (just one cm off my pb), there was only 4 competitors on the day as 2/3 didn't show up so of course an element of luck but it was a nice thing to win and quite proud of it as my first ever Senior medal.

I will be giving the National Seniors a go on Sunday in the weight for distance. There are 9 competitors entered in for the event and based off the research I have done I know at least 6 can throw further than me but looking forward to it even if I come last I am aiming for a pb. I figured that having won the senior medal at Munster I am entitled to give it a go this year...I must have notions!

Running has been going well for the last 6-8 weeks and I have started off training for Dublin marathon. I'm using a training plan (Running Shoe Guru's Intermediate plan) that I used for my 2nd marathon onwards. I tried Hanson's the last two marathons and didn't make the start line unfortunately...I would like to revisit Hanson's at some point but I'd like to try get a safer plan (for me) under my belt and another marathon done first. I don't have any real expectations around times and having not raced anything other than a few 5Ks earlier this season I'm just training away using 4hrs as a guide. The massage gun was a great buy I think and using it a few times a week on my calves seems to have helped things, I've also started using compression socks if I am feeling anything anyway off and seem to be helping. I also believe in the placebo effect with such things but whatever works works.

Dublin Marathon - Running Shoe Guru Wk3

Sun 23rd Jul

10.5K easy in 65min @ 6:15min/km. Back home after a day in Tullamore on Saturday I took a lie so didn't get out until near 10:30. I ran a slightly different loop from home which was nice....very up and down which made in more interesting that the loop I was going to run. Unfortunately had some hassles with some dogs coming towards the end of the run, had just said hello to their elderly owner as I ran past him on the road but the three dogs he had with him weren't so keen on me with one of them having a bit of a go....took a minute (or can seem an eternity with these things) for him to back off but he did. I'll know next time to avoid that situation as clearly they were just being overprotective....and I'll have to add on around 4K to my loop to double back and run a different road.

Mon 24th Jul

Some throws training, 3x with the 28lbs to warm up and then 6x with the 56lbs. Managed to get a 4.33m which is my best throw of the weight in training. Will train again a few more times this week ahead of the competition on Sunday.

Tue 25th Jul

Fartlek

20min warm up, 8x30 sec fast with 90 sec recovery, 10min cool down.

Put on my Endorphin speeds for the first time in months for this and within 15min I could feel a blister forming on my heel so I finished off the warm up and called my wife to see could she collect me. Back home then and changed into Brooks hyperions I picked up in the last few months (really like them) and completed the rest of the run with them. For the fast bits I ran these around 5-10K effort...it's only for 30 seconds but Strava picks them up varying between 4:14-4:30 pace.

7.5K in total for the run.

Year to date: 551.5K

Dublin Marathon - Running Shoe Guru Wk3 cont'd

Wed 26th Jul

A wonderful blister came up following the previous days run, I burst it and dressed it so was able to get my 35min easy run done. Heel felt fine enough throughout. 5.7K in 35mins @ 6:07min/km

Thurs 27th Jul

Rest day from running so final throws practice ahead of Nationals at the weekend. Consistently hit quite a few around the 4.3m mark so feeling good going forward into the competition at the weekend.

Fri 28th Jul

Unscheduled rest day, was scheduled to be doing an easy run with some hill sprints but my heel was pretty sore. Tried a few different pairs of runners to see which would least irritate it but not to be.

Sat 29th Jul

Up home to my parents place in Laois ahead of the Nationals on Sunday. Was feeling good but my heel was itching me a bit so decided to take my mind off it and see could I get my missed run in from the day previous. 45min easy and 5 x 12 sec hill sprints with 5 min cool down. After about 5-10mins into the run my heel stopped itching so I took that as a good sign and got the run completed as plan. Sprints felt good, controlled efforts and not overcooking them which I have done in the past. 9K in total for the session.

Sun 30th Jul

With another All Ireland event taking place in Dublin on the same day I planned traveling up to miss the match traffic and worked out nicely. I arrived into the park beside Morton Stadium around 3ish. Got something to eat in the area and heading in to collect my number, it needed to be collected 90mins before the event but I was planning to watch a lot of the competition anyways. Weather wasn't great with intermittent shows, I had a quick word with Eric Favors at one point. I had just been listening to the Athletics Ireland podcast he featured on recently, nice guy so just wished him well.

Anyways the few hours passed as I watched the track action from the stands and then I headed for the dressing room to put on my singlet and bib numbers (first time putting a number on front and back of a singlet for me). Was starting to feel a bit nervous now tbh as was seeing the great and good of Irish track and field action here there and everywhere. I headed into the warm up area for 6pm as the detailed schedule said we had to be there for 6:10pm. Seeing some of our top sprinters/hurdlers practicing their starts off the blocks...wow. Thomas Barr just over there doing his warmup, nod the head at people here and there. Anyways I was glad to meet up with the weight for distance group...as it turned over there was only 8 of us (1 no show) and of those there, 4 of the others I would know well from masters competitions with another one from Munster and just the two from Dublin that I didn't know. We then headed into the call room area for about 20mins until 6:30pm, plenty of chat here but I took a few mins to start my warmup here...nothing crazy...most exciting part of the warmup would be squat jumps...to try get some explosiveness going. Then we were lead out to the track to the competition area. More warmup here and time chalk up my hands. Any nerves I had seemed to be going now and was more excited to get going at, as there was only 8 of it meant we would each get 6 throws. I took two warmup throws and was very happy with them as everything felt smooth and not forced.

Competition begins, the throwing order had me going 7th which was fine....often I get to go first at Masters events...having the letter B as the first initial of your surname isn't always a help. So I go collect the weight from the previous thrower, go through my practiced routine, clean the handle, pick up the weight with my right hand, raise it up and drop it down again. Step forward to the board, feet in position, deep breath, start the swing, ball swing back between the legs...repeat my mantra for the throw "delay, delay, delay"...ball comes forward, pull and then release...and away it goes. Feels good...measured and recorded 4.45m...a new pb by 1cm. Delighted with the opening. Round 1 finishes and I know I'm going to be 8th here based on how the others are going but fine with that as knew that would be the case, just want to get more good throws out. Second round, some people improve on their throws and some don't, in my case...I slightly clip my leg with the ball coming forward but just a glance and didn't hurt, 4.42m. Okay more to come... Round 3, trying to keep concentration here as got distracted talking to a competitor here...got a clean throw out, 4.45m again so still going the right way. After round 3 we're reorganized into the order for the top 8 with the lowest thrower to go first so that would be me. Stepped up, same mantra and got a little bit more height into the throw this time, measure, 4.5m. Delighted with that now and clapped my hands together. Congratulated by a few of my competitors, this is the norm at throwing events (and it's something I really like) is that competitors congratulate each other during the competition if someone gets a pb and having got two new ones today it was nice. The other guys were throwing great, Michael Healy from Leevale in particular was close to 9m on a few occasions...brilliant stuff. For my 5th throw then it went a bit wrong, I tried to add a bit more speed into the throw but it ended up going out very flat..4.04m for that. A lot of action on track now with the 400mH and 400m mens and women's race taking place so the atmosphere was hotting up and challenging to keep focus. Last round then, 6th and final throw...you have to go for it. Stepped up and got a good throw out but I knew it wasn't a new pb again, 4.3m on the button so that closed out my competition. 8th place in Ireland overall and a new pb of 4.5m. I felt a bit funny about going forward to compete in the National Seniors but coming away with having broke my old pb 3 times during the competition I am proud to having given it my best.

Afterwards there was still time to watch some of the track action with the 100m finals and the 1500m finals, great buzz and even if I had not have been competing I was delighted to be there to watch the action.

Weekly total: 32.7K

Year to date: 566.2K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Congrats on the PB's! and what an amazing experience that must have been. I was watching on the tele, didn't realise you were right there in the tick of it 🙌. I've often wondered how the midfield eventers manage to focus when there's a race going on on the track. You must have seen Sophie & Sarah in the 1500? Thomas Barr is just amazing, his 11th national title and surely the nicest person in Irish Athletics (maybe tied with Sarah Lavin).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

A great read there, well done on your PB! It must be a great feeling competing & seeing all the different talents!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Wow fair play. I loved reading that. Like @Annie get your Run I was watching it at home, it must have been amazing to be there in the thick of it, rubbing shoulders with the stars of track & field and being a star yourself - to break your PB twice in a pressurised environment is a super result, really well done.

Advertisement