Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You only get what you give

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Dublin Marathon - Running Shoe Guru Wk13 continued

Thurs 5th Oct

Was asked to take the club adult training session this evening as the other coaches were unavailable. Hadn't been for a while as just been doing my own runs really. As it turned out there was a low enough attendance and the easy paced run I was running myself working out well to match what was a steady pace for another runner. 8K in 50min @ 6:16min/km.

Fri 6th Oct

Rest day

Sat 7th Oct

Easy 30min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (90min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 30min Warm-Down on the plan

The longest run of the plan, with a day in Killarney at juvenile cross country on Sunday the run was brought forward a day earlier. Also with my wife away for Friday night it meant I wouldn't be able to get out early on Sat for the run. As they were looking were short volunteers for parkrun in town I volunteered myself and my daughter for marshaling. Had arranging to meet my wife sometime around 11/12 in town when she got back so I just treated it as a bit of dry run of marathon morning with getting breakfast around 3 hours or so before the run (in this case it was 7:30 for breakfast but probably be 6am on marathon day). Also having to stand around for a hour marshaling before the run, whilst not ideal figured again would be good prep. Plus the poxy heat, I like to try get a run in all conditions and running in the middle of the day...never a favourite but again it will be the case on the day of marathon so all good to do. Parkrun done, met my wife at 11:30 and headed over to the greenway where I'd planned my run for today. Ate a small banana as a top up and took a gel. My plan was to extend the run to 45mins easy, then the 90mins at marathon pace and all being well 45mins easy again to finish with. Started my run at 11:52.

The first part of the run 7.14K in 45min @ 6:19min/km was uneventful, whilst the heat was definitely there it was okay as it was offset by a decent breeze. I secreted two 250ml of water on the way out the greenway here as thought it would be a good idea to have something extra to pickup on the way back....one around 4K and another around 7K, I was also carrying 2x250ml of High Five Zero, 3x Maurtens, pack of Clif Shot Bloks. Plenty of activity on the greenway with lot of cyclists....no other runners actually until right at the very end of my run, they had more sense than being out a midday.

Into the marathon pace phase, 16K in 90mins @ 5:40min/km. Covered part of the greenway I hadn't been on at this stage which was nice. The route overall has plenty of long drags and being honest it's very boring. At one stage a guy came towards me cycling at a decent clip on his bike, wearing headphones and with a dog attached to the rear of his bike by some form of a rigid lead. The dog seemed to be doing okay but I can't say I thought much of what I say in regards welfare to the animal. If the dog was to get into distress he wouldn't hear or see it and the dog itself didn't look like a dog built for running as too heavyset...annoyed me a bit this setup. A little bit later I saw a woman sitting down to the side in a bit of distress with her hands on her face and her children with her. I stopped to ask was she okay, and noted she had scrapped her knee so I think she had a fall. I asked did she need help and she said she was ok and didn't need help....she passed by later on with the kids which I was glad to see. I got to the end of Greenway in Fenit around 13K into the run so I just ran down to the end of the pier to see the statue of St Brendan. A lot of things in Kerry are named after St Brendan, not least to me my athletics club. The statue is a bit of a mad thing, quite apt I guess given what the man did in his life. You can get a good look at it here https://saint-brendan.org/

Anyways turned around and started the return journey back to Tralee, quick pitstop at the facilities in Fenit and back to marathon pace. The run was going okay but not amazing. After a long drag that goes on for around 2K I stopped after 1hr 50mins (18.5K) into the run...I was feeling fairly bunched at this stage and took a minute or two for a drink and popped a gel (this was my third gel on the run)...got going again....actually felt a little bit wobbly for a second but it passed quickly. I then started into a phase of lying to myself about how long I had to run. Just another 25mins (well 25mins at marathon pace, sure the rest is grand as it's easy pace) so was motoring again. Passed out some cyclists here....they really were leisurely at times. Picked up one of my hidden bottles on the return...drank most of it in one go...the 500ml of Zero was almost gone at this stage. I still had around 5 mins of mp running left to go when I got to my final bottle...stopped for a second and stretched a little. My upper back and shoulders complaining a bit but just 5 mins to go. And then it was done...glad to have the mp running done for the day.

Now back to easy running, more lying to myself then...first I said sure just do 15mins and that will give me the 2.5hr running that was originally scheduled. Within that 15mins I met another woman who stopped me for a second as she was looking for her bankcard that she lost...I hadn't seen it on my run....but I ran on and 5 mins later I spotted the card on the ground. I met another runner on her way out the greenway so passed the card to her and a description of the woman so she said she'd give it to her as she would be passing her...I hope they were reunited! I said then I'd run the part of the greenway that goes down into the town area and finishing at the train station....that would bring up me up to around 30mins for the run. As it worked out that was almost 35mins so I just said feck it I'd get the 45mins done now. 6.86K in 45min @ 6:34min/km

30K in 3 hours (really 3hrs 18mins if you add in the various breaks), my longest run in distance and duration in 4 years (since DCM 2019).

Weekly total: 62K

Year to date: 990.4K

Thurs 5th Oct

Was asked to take the club adult training session this evening as the other coaches were unavailable. Hadn't been for a while as just been doing my own runs really. As it turned out there was a low enough attendance and the easy paced run I was running myself working out well to match what was a steady pace for another runner. 8K in 50min @ 6:16min/km.

Fri 6th Oct

Rest day

Sat 7th Oct

Easy 30min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (90min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 30min Warm-Down on the plan

The longest run of the plan, with a day in Killarney at juvenile cross country on Sunday the run was brought forward a day earlier. Also with my wife away for Friday night it meant I wouldn't be able to get out early on Sat for the run. As they were looking were short volunteers for parkrun in town I volunteered myself and my daughter for marshaling. Had arranging to meet my wife sometime around 11/12 in town when she got back so I just treated it as a bit of dry run of marathon morning with getting breakfast around 3 hours or so before the run (in this case it was 7:30 for breakfast but probably be 6am on marathon day). Also having to stand around for a hour marshaling before the run, whilst not ideal figured again would be good prep. Plus the poxy heat, I like to try get a run in all conditions and running in the middle of the day...never a favourite but again it will be the case on the day of marathon so all good to do. Parkrun done, met my wife at 11:30 and headed over to the greenway where I'd planned my run for today. Ate a small banana as a top up and took a gel. My plan was to extend the run to 45mins easy, then the 90mins at marathon pace and all being well 45mins easy again to finish with. Started my run at 11:52.

The first part of the run 7.14K in 45min @ 6:19min/km was uneventful, whilst the heat was definitely there it was okay as it was offset by a decent breeze. I secreted two 250ml of water on the way out the greenway here as thought it would be a good idea to have something extra to pickup on the way back....one around 4K and another around 7K, I was also carrying 2x250ml of High Five Zero, 3x Maurtens, pack of Clif Shot Bloks. Plenty of activity on the greenway with lot of cyclists....no other runners actually until right at the very end of my run, they had more sense than being out a midday.

Into the marathon pace phase, 16K in 90mins @ 5:40min/km. Covered part of the greenway I hadn't been on at this stage which was nice. The route overall has plenty of long drags and being honest it's very boring. At one stage a guy came towards me cycling at a decent clip on his bike, wearing headphones and with a dog attached to the rear of his bike by some form of a rigid lead. The dog seemed to be doing okay but I can't say I thought much of what I say in regards welfare to the animal. If the dog was to get into distress he wouldn't hear or see it and the dog itself didn't look like a dog built for running as too heavyset...annoyed me a bit this setup. A little bit later I saw a woman sitting down to the side in a bit of distress with her hands on her face and her children with her. I stopped to ask was she okay, and noted she had scrapped her knee so I think she had a fall. I asked did she need help and she said she was ok and didn't need help....she passed by later on with the kids which I was glad to see. I got to the end of Greenway in Fenit around 13K into the run so I just ran down to the end of the pier to see the statue of St Brendan. A lot of things in Kerry are named after St Brendan, not least to me my athletics club. The statue is a bit of a mad thing, quite apt I guess given what the man did in his life. You can get a good look at it here https://saint-brendan.org/

Anyways turned around and started the return journey back to Tralee, quick pitstop at the facilities in Fenit and back to marathon pace. The run was going okay but not amazing. After a long drag that goes on for around 2K I stopped after 1hr 50mins (18.5K) into the run...I was feeling fairly bunched at this stage and took a minute or two for a drink and popped a gel (this was my third gel on the run)...got going again....actually felt a little bit wobbly for a second but it passed quickly. I then started into a phase of lying to myself about how long I had to run. Just another 25mins (well 25mins at marathon pace, sure the rest is grand as it's easy pace) so was motoring again. Passed out some cyclists here....they really were leisurely at times. Picked up one of my hidden bottles on the return...drank most of it in one go...the 500ml of Zero was almost gone at this stage. I still had around 5 mins of mp running left to go when I got to my final bottle...stopped for a second and stretched a little. My upper back and shoulders complaining a bit but just 5 mins to go. And then it was done...glad to have the mp running done for the day.

Now back to easy running, more lying to myself then...first I said sure just do 15mins and that will give me the 2.5hr running that was originally scheduled. Within that 15mins I met another woman who stopped me for a second as she was looking for her bankcard that she lost...I hadn't seen it on my run....but I ran on and 5 mins later I spotted the card on the ground. I met another runner on her way out the greenway so passed the card to her and a description of the woman so she said she'd give it to her as she would be passing her...I hope they were reunited! I said then I'd run the part of the greenway that goes down into the town area and finishing at the train station....that would bring up me up to around 30mins for the run. As it worked out that was almost 35mins so I just said feck it I'd get the 45mins done now. 6.86K in 45min @ 6:34min/km

30K in 3 hours (really 3hrs 18mins if you add in the various breaks), my longest run in distance and duration in 4 years (since DCM 2019).

Thurs 5th Oct

Fri 6th Oct

Rest day

Sat 7th Oct

Thurs 5th Oct

Fri 6th Oct

Rest day

Sat 7th Oct

Dublin Marathon - Running Shoe Guru Wk14

Sun 8th Oct

Rest day, this time back to Killarney for Juvenile cross country relays. We had 4 teams entered to run and two teams got themselves into the medal positions with U10 boys picking up a gold medal and U12 boys picking up a bronze. Great excitement in all the races and very proud of how the club's young charges have done so far this season with the club winning 20 more points this season than last so going the right direction. Headed up the country after this as was going to be working in Dublin for the next two days.

Mon 9th Oct

Little bit of an over estimation on this run, for what should have been 50 minutes easy became 55 minutes easy. Staying near Blackhall place I picked up the DCM route there, into Stoneybatter and onto the park...a pleasant run in the park as the darkness was closing in but plenty around. Turned back then a bit after the Aras and was aiming to run back towards my accommodation along the quays. Got a phonecall from my mother just towards the end of my run with some bad news in relation to my sister's father in law who died suddenly in an accident late that afternoon. Very sorry for the family and would be a tough week for them all.

Tue 10th Oct

Rest day, back home to Kerry but with a pitstop at home in Laois first to catch up with things at home. Would be back up again later in the week.

Wed 11th Oct

Rest day, could have squeezed in my speed session here but didn't have time after work and before coaching so just carried it over to the next day.

Thurs 12th Oct

(Lactic Resistance Intervals)

Easy 20min Warm-Up, 8-10 x 800m @ Yasso Pace w/ 90sec Recoveries, Easy 20min Warm-Down

3.3K in 20:25 @ 6:12min/km, run down towards the village...turnaround and stop at the graveyard...facing for home to run the first interval

3:48, 3:55, 3:48, 3:49, 3:47, 3:49, 3:41, 3:52....every 2nd interval is always slightly slower and harder and running up a drag. I found the first few of these tough enough but settled in then and nice to see progression on the series from the last time I did this so fitness is improving.

3.3K in 20:47 @ 6:19min/km, run towards the village...turnaround and back to home. Just picked the last of the blackberries off a bush near home at the end of the run for my overnight oats.

Fri 13th Oct

Rest day, seems to be a lot of rest days this week but last week was a heavy week for me on the training.

Sat 14th Oct

Easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (60min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 20min Warm-Down on the plan

Brought forward from Sunday as with heading back up Laois I wasn't going to be able to get a run in on Sunday. Thought about working a parkrun into this but just did a regular run from home with adding on a few out and backs onto a regular loop I use.

3.3K in 20min @ 6:02min/km, 11K in 60min @ 5:31min/km, 3.7K in 22:37 @ 6:08min/km, 18K in total in 1:43

Pace wise this was a bit faster for MP pace but I do find my fitness has improved over the last month but 5:31min/km is not going to be my marathon pace. Felt a bit of discomfort in my left foot, in any area which Dr Google tells me is called the Tibialis Anterior Tendon. Not a problem I've had before but I think the Adidas Boston 11's might be putting some pressure on that area so I suspect I won't be using them for the marathon just in case.

With a busy weekend we managed to bring forward the tickets we'd booked for my daughter for the cinema showing of Taylor Swift's Era Tour. My daughter has become a big fan over the last 6 months or so and was looking forward to it. It was a good show in fairness to her, some energy and performance and I do know more of her songs than I'd realize. It did tire somewhat towards the last 3rd it goes for almost 3 hours.

My daughter was taking part in a show herself in Siamsa Tues-Sat every evening this week so we got the last one of those done this evening before heading back up the country to my parents as we'd be attending the funeral of my sister's father in law on Sunday up near my homeplace. A busy week but happy enough with what I got done. Two weeks to go!

Weekly total: 41K

Year to date: 1031.4K

• Advertisement

Dublin Marathon - Running Shoe Guru Wk15

Sun 15th Oct

Rest day from running, back up home to Laois for my sister's father in laws funeral. Very sad day for the family and the extended community in which he was clearly a very popular and well known man.

Mon 16th Oct

8.1K in 50min @ 6:11min/km, ran a regular 5K and a bit loop near home and just patched on a few out and backs to it.

Tue 17th Oct

Rest day

Wed 18th Oct

Coaching this evening so given the last final speed session of the plan was coming up I carried it over until the next day and just did 5K in 30:47 @ 6:09min/km after work

Thurs 19th Oct

(Aerobic Power Intervals)

Easy 20min Warm-Up, 2x 3200m @ 105-110% Goal Marathon Pace w/ 90sec Recoveries, Easy 20min Warm-Down

3.25K in 20min @ 6:10min/km

3.2K in 16:49 @ 5:15min/km, small bit sluggish on the first interval I felt and the effort felt a little bit high.

3.2K in 16:35 @ 5:11min/km, much preferred the 2nd block as seemed to get into the pace better and could hold it with more ease.

3.4K in 21min @ 6:12min/km, nice jog back home thinking it looks like I have got through this plan unscathed which was the main aim of it all. Guess I'll have to do the marathon so unless I can find an excuse in the next week!

Fri 20th Oct

Rest day

Sat 21st Oct

Easy 20min, Marathon Pace Tempo Run (40min @ 95-100% of Goal Marathon Pace), Easy 20min Warm-Down on the plan

As tomorrow would be at cross country in Clare I brought forward my last long run by a day to Saturday again. I ran it around parkrun with the first 10mins before parkrun, then 10mins easy during parkrun and picking up the pace for the next 40mins or and another 20mins easy to finish.

3.2K in 20min @ 6:15min/km, 7.2K in 40min @ 5:34min/km, 3.3K in 20min @ 6:10min/km incl Tralee parkrun in 27:05 in the middle here.

Ideally would have got into town about 20-25mins earlier and got all the easy part done before parkrun but hard to get out of the house some mornings but no matter. Run went well and just ran off around the town for the last 30mins approx to get it finished out. 13.7K in total for the run.

Weekly total: 40.1K

Year to date: 1071.5K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Best of luck on Sunday D! What wave are you in? Will keep an eye out from the sidelines.

Thanks, I have an entry for Wave 1 but not sure if I'm going to avail of starting in that that wave. If I was going to use a pace group I'd probably need to drop down to Wave 3 but I might start at the back of Wave 1 and just tip away at my own pace and go off at 4hr 10 pace for the first 10K to half. If I'd raced another half marathon in the last 3 months I'd have a better idea of where I might be pace wise so figure conservative and possibly may even need to be more conservative to hopefully relatively enjoy my first marathon back in quite a while (DCM 2018 3:51 was the last one I raced on my own).

Dublin Marathon - Running Shoe Guru Wk16

Sun 22nd Oct

Rest day from running (kinda), over on ferry to Clare for Munster cross country. One of my club's young athletes won a medal, our first Munster XC medal in around 5 years so great excitement with it all. He went from 10 to 7 over the last 300m, out of field of 114 athletes it was a brilliant result for him and he was also first scorer on the county team that came 3rd so two medals won. With cross country you're always running from one side of the course to the other in support of the runners so had plenty of that to do on the day.

Mon 23rd Oct

6.5K in 40min @ 6:07min/km, out and back run after work. Have managed to do the full plan in daylight and brightness but another week and bodylite would be out for a run at the same time of day, especially with the time change coming up. Nice email arrived today, officially qualified as an Athletics Ireland Level 2 coach (Throws), proud of that one.

Tue 24th Oct

Rest day

Wed 25th Oct

Coaching this evening but managed to have enough time after work and before that my session done. Simple fartlek session of 20min w/u, 8x 60sec fast with 60sec recovery and 15min easy to finish. 8.6K in just over 50mins for this.

Thurs 26th Oct

Rest day

Weekly total (so far): 15.1K

Year to date: 1086.6K

So race day draws closer and delighted that barring some disaster over the next few days I'm making the start line this year, my first since 2019 which for that one I raced with my wife on her debut marathon. The last time I raced one at my own pace was back in 2018 where I came home in 3:51. This year I haven't even bother tried chasing that time as I did simply not enough of a base going into it and got injured doing that last year so not being injured this year was the main goal really. I have a wave 1 entry (first time ever), can't recall what lies I must have put on the entry form when signing up this time last year for it but I at least have the option. I like the idea of starting with the first wave at 8:45am and being done before 1pm. My first marathon in 2015 was 4:12:54 so that's probably the target, starting off easy at 4hr 10/15 pace and just holding that maybe up to half way to see could I push on then and gain a few mins to get down closer to the 4hr mark. I've always been one to focus on times, maybe too much so comparing where I was to as to where I am now and being envious. Ultimately it doesn't matter what time I run as I would just like to get it done and with some sort of enjoyment to it all. Best of luck to all those lining up on Sunday, especially for those doing their first marathon as it's something you'll remember and cherish for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Best of luck D. I haven’t been following logs lately so quick catch up there. Hope you have a great day out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Very best of luck on Sunday, enjoy it😊

Well done today David, I spotted you in the PP (smiling & enjoying it!) and gave you a shout out but missed you later on. Hope you enjoyed the day!

Thanks all, I certainly did my best to enjoy it…for the first half at least! Second half was tough going at times but crossed the line in 4:07:41 so happy to come under target.

Dublin Marathon 2023 report

Pre race

Traveled to Dublin on Saturday with my wife and daughter. Arrived at the expo around 1pm and was there for around an hour/90mins as met a few people I knew or hadn't seen for a while. Very efficient number collection so I could have been in and out in 5-10mins easily. I do like the expo but it would be nice to have the option to get your number posted out. Maybe if they sorted out a proper transfer system that posting numbers out would not be such an issue.

After the expo we went to Friends experience at the Point village. Watched Friends pretty religiously when I was growing up and it was appointment tv back in the day really. I watch bits of the odd episode here and now, hard to avoid it as my 11 year daughter is an obsessive fan so it was for her we were going to the experience and it was a nice way to kill another hour. The mock up of the sets were pretty cool in fairness to see and walk around, take a few pictures etc. We headed to the hotel in Leopardstown then where we staying. After a pizza in the bar and just taking it handy for the evening got an early night, 11pm approx (old time).

Woke up around 5am (new time) and got up at 5:45. Headed down for breakfast (porridge and orange juice) before hitting the road into town, I was driving in and parked up on Adelaide road around 7:20. My wife and daughter would be following in afterwards on the Luas.

I was at the bag drop around 8am so time enough to be ready for wave 1. Met a few people I knew between those volunteering at the bag drop and other runners and a few of the pacers. Spirits were high with all which was good, in my own case I had got pretty nervous over the previous day or two so was quite happy when I actually go to the start area I was feeling good and calm. My plan was towards the back of Wave 1 with a paceband of 4hr 10 on my wrist (5:55min/km pace). 8:45am and away we went.

The race

(1K-5K 5:46, 5:45, 5:28, 6:00, 5:59)

First 5K went very well, feeling extremely fresh and calm. Nice thing with starting in the wave I was in was that it was pretty much open road after the first turn onto Leeson St it just opened up nicely with not too much congestion on turns. Going up Patrick's Hill I just kept it nice and handy, same on the quays and up into Stoneybatter, no carnage at the first water station. Soon enough we were into the park.

(6K-10K 5:33, 5:27, 5:49, 5:43)

Around that 5K mark a group of lads from North Clondalkin I heard them say ran past and I ended up running near them for the next 8K or so. The noise and energy off them was something else, they were taking turns pushing their mate who was in a wheelchair but with a sound system underneath. I wonder how they got on overall as I dunno how they could have kept it up. In my own case I just focused on staying calm and enjoying the experience. Turning off Lord's walk onto Chesterfield Ave I took the opportunity to blow kisses at the crowd for my own entertainment as much as anything and got a nice response. The crowds were great here! Running up Chesterfield I spotted fellow DCM Novice 2015 graduate @Singer out in support. Nice to see you B! The first runner from Wave 2 caught up with us here, least I figured they were relative to the pace of those around me. Into Castleknock and great crowds here as always, my first high five of the day here as a little boy was going out of his way to try give people one so I went to him. The band here playing Mr. Brightside was a great choice, a song that is almost 20 years old and never grows old. 10K in 58:57, about a minute to fast.

(11K-15K 5:29, 5:51, 5:15, 5:23, 5:24)

The climbing was pretty much done now barring one pull as we turned in Castleknock. Took a quick Number 1 pitstop here at the facilities at the water station on college road and was glad to have done. Nothing lost time wise as the downhill to follow here is a fast section. Sun directly in our faces now so popped on my sunglasses for the next hour or so. Back into the park now and it was pretty quiet on the course, the odd person from Wave 2 had caught up and moved past at pace here.

(16K-20K 5:21, 5:34, 5:34, 5:37, 5:33)

Out the Chapelizod gate now, good support here through the areas here. I particularly enjoyed the woman in Ballyfermot telling people it was only 8 weeks to Christmas. Great signs here and there on course as always, I always like a bit of humour (e.g. "you paid for this") and ("there is ages to go yet"). Took my 2nd gel here around 10miles. Lawrence's Hill a bit tough but manageable. Great noise in Kilmainham as we turned just after the prison. Was thinking I'd soon be seeing my wife and daughter as they were going to be at the canal after we turned at Dolphin's Barn. Huge noise at the turn here, blew a few more kisses for the laugh. Next thing I can see a familiar person on the road ahead of me and it was my daughter, stopped and chatted for 20-30secs with her and my wife. Told my wife I'm a few minutes ahead of target and said I'll probably pay for that. Got a bottle of High 5 Zero off them and used it to refill my collapsible bottle once I got going again. AKelly of these parts was there too at the bridge, she said "Well done, are you okay?", and I said "I am"...she said "Get going so" in a firm but fair way, so I did. I enjoyed this interaction and went off laughing heading for the halfway point. 20K in 1:54:26....approx 3 minutes ahead of pace

(21K-25K 5:45, 6:17, 5:33, 5:41, 5:29)

Coming up to halfway I decided I'd walk through this aid station, just for a breather and to get some fuel on. Meant I crossed halfway in 2:01:13, if I hadn't stopped for the chat on the bridge or to walk through the aid station just ahead of the halfway mark I'd possibly have gone sub 2 for the half. Definitely too fast when going for 4hr 10s. I did feel I was holding myself back a lot in the first half and figured it's been 5 years since you raced one of these that I was out of practice and not being disciplined enough. Next 30mins were fairly uneventful really but was starting to feel the effort here. I had banked a few mins here so was feeling confident that I'd hit my target time once I kept things going. I took my 3rd (and final gel) as it turned out around the 15m marker. Despite a plan to take one every 5 miles it didn't happen and I just stuck with liquids, either electrolyte or lucozade for the remainder of the race.

(26K-30K 5:33, 6:10, 5:42, 5:36, 6:13)

Really feeling it now, for some reason I suddenly feel really warm here at points, the sun came out on occasion but it wasn't a warm day. I stopped for another walk around the 16mile marker here for more fuel. I think it was Lucozade here and just walked for 30 secs before getting going again. My hips were complaining a little here and a little bit of discomfort in my left little toe. Coming into Terenure I had thoughts of another former boardsie Neildafunkone from DCM Novices 2015. We ran most of what was both our first marathon together having only met once before previously on a group 20 mile training run but having met enroute at the corner of Kevin St and Patrick's Hill we ran together I think up till probably 18 miles before a toilet stop for one of us. In subsequent years I've met Neil on the marathon route marshalling and there he was again this year, nice to met him for a split second fist bump. Around 30K I took another walk break for a second to get on some liquids. 30K in 2:52:48....5 minutes ahead of pace.

(31K-35K 5:37, 5:29, 5:50, 6:40, 6:30)

The next few K were fast, going through Milltown where the crowds are really loud again. My wife and daughter had headed out here to see me but I had gone through before they got there. I stopped for a second on the hill at Milltown before getting going again. I was really feeling the effort here now was was not looking forward to the next 10K. I hadn't been out this way running since 2019 whereas normally I would have tried getting out here for a training run at some stage in the block. Apologies to those who live out this way but I have no grá for it or Clonskeagh that follows for having to run them during the course and wouldn't mind a reconfiguration to take them out of it. Be nice to see more of the Northside to be honest, and sure we could curse the hills out that way for a change. Anyways, really struggling now as we turned to head into Clonskeagh, a clubmate of mine who had started in the wave behind me caught up here now. Told him I was fairly gassed but he just said keep going. I kept with him for about a K but had to let him go near the entrance to UCD. I didn't get a cramp or anything like that but I felt I was just at the level below that with how my calves felt and with time to spare I just thought manage it and manage the effort to bring it home.

(36K-40K 6:57, 5:40, 5:58, 6:10, 6:01)

Roebuck was probably not as bad as I thought it would be, I walked the aid station but ran most of the rest...including the hill just before Foster's Ave. Flying down Foster's Avenue felt great, really loosened the legs out a bit here and huge support here again. Nice little high 5 off a kid here turning onto the N11. Runners were definitely upping their pace here and I tried it a bit myself as figure the faster you go the sooner it's over. Just coming off the UCD flyover the heavens opened up and it was quite simply biblical rain here from here to almost the end. Nutley Lane felt pretty fast but even still I stopped for a few seconds towards the end to take on more water. Nice people here handing out water before the aid station so I took it and skipped the water station. Finally turned on Merrion Road, the home straight kinda. I had been out this way around 2 months back so nice to have run this section of the course although it was raining so heavy at this stage it was distracting in a good way. 40K in 3:54:24...2 minutes ahead of pace, so had lost time but was still good.

(41K-Finish 6:10, 5:51)

Just running now as best as I could, one final walk break just around the RDS just for a few secs for one last push to the end. The support enroute was good it has to be said. In terrible weather and they were still out there, as soon as you are struggling someone invariably cheers you on by name. Just brilliant. Running past the US Embassy now and the emotions are starting to build with it all as the end is coming, I'd be going past the Schoolhouse pub where I met my now wife in the summer of 2005 and she's always been a great support to me. I thought of when we last ran past here together in 2019 when she did her marathon and the great picture a friend took of us together that is in the hall at home. It wouldn't be long now, and then I see it, 800m to go. Two laps of a track! On yes, this is, take it all in, this is what you are here for. Looking to the left going over the canal, I see the two faces of my two ladies right where they said they would be. Now the finish line draws closer, the crowds and noise build again, yet it seems to take forever to get the to end. No need to check times now as I ain't going to be going faster. And soon the roads ends and the magic carpet begins and right through the finish. Crossing the line in 4:09:23 (chip time 4:07:41). So good to be back here again after a long break, I looked to the right and left for an old friend who I knew wouldn't be there (Pat Hooper), my first time through the line there without him being there but will always remember him. A few tears were flowing here as I collected my medal and t-shirt, I didn't have much to say but just said to the volunteers (who were so nice) that I just wanted to see could I do one again, tears of happiness I guess.

Post Race

After that I did the slow shuffle to meet up with my wife and daughter at the meeting point, I was shivering cold at this stage and half changed before going back to the car and getting fully changed. I felt really cold at this point and the others were soaking too so we were all happy to hit the road back down the country to my parents. I'm not a drinker so post race pints is not a thing for me but I do like meeting up with my people, I would have liked to have met a few other fellow runners but will catch up with them over the next few weeks in person or online. I got a few messages on the phone asking was I okay as my chip didn't register when I crossed the finish line for some reason...have since got that sorted with an email to the marathon office. I spent time on the phone in the car then catching up with how others got on, some great performances and always exciting to see people getting pbs. A few school-mates of mine made their debuts and got on great so was happy to see that.

Verdict

All in all it was a great day but I did find the 2nd half very hard, poor pacing as much as anything (1st half 2:01:13, 2nd half 2:06:28). But I met my aim for this which was to first make the startline and then get it done, 4hrs 10 was an arbitrary time I picked that seemed within my range and I had been training for a 4 hr time but after the experience of Dingle I felt it wasn't there yet. What comes next is another matter, I have an entry for the Run in the Dark 5K (it's 10 years since my first ever race and that was it) coming up in November so that's the next race up. There is part of me thinks that maybe I could try another marathon block and aim for something in the spring, I do enjoy the structure of the training and having survived this one block...how would another go, could I get down to sub 4 again? Manchester has always been one I've considered and signed up for previously so might be an option. I'd rather have a bit of time to decide about signing up for Dublin again for next year but I'll probably take the entry now and look to transfer it in the summer if I'm not going to use it.

Thanks to all for their support here in person, online on this platform and others.

A lovely report D. You were smiling and very comfortable when you passed on Chesterfield and I remember noticing how much space you had, a good plan by all accounts. Congrats on finishing another marathon in a great time - no matter you are running or racing 26.2 is not a walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Marathons are tough B'stards - very well done.

A lovely report - nice mention of Mr Hooper as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Great report D. Like others I was a little concerned when the tracker stopped reporting after 40K but it seems you had everything well in hand.

Delighted for you after last year's frustrations.

Thanks very much! Indeed I was smiling and enjoying it in the early stages there, sure you might as well and you never know when it might be your last. Apologies if I missed you as quite large crowds there at that point so couldn't hear much.

Thanks A, yes it was a nice reminder of the challenge of the distance. It's not the first time I've been around the 16 miles marker and thinking another 10 to go...it's a fair chunk of road and running. I suspect I'll always think of Pat in relation to the finish line of the marathon there, the fact a lot of the officials there were wearing green jackets (Raheny colours) definitely caught my eye for a second.

Thanks D, it was a bit of a missing in action moment there for some reason. Seems to have happened to a few people going by stuff on FB. I just got the text with my finish time yesterday so 48 hours later the tracker is back on track! Yup, nice to get another one done for sure after missing the last two I tried for. Whether I'd be brave enough to try Hanson's again I think I'd have to get more miles and another block at least in the legs. The plan I used this time has brought me down to 3:43 in the past so with more adherence to it I can get some more bang out of it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Congratulations on a really solid effort. It has been great to read so many race reports through the Autumn marathon season. Running 26.2 miles is something to be proud of, running it faster than target should be something you're even more proud of. Well done.

Thanks S, it really has been great reading the reports and I took a lot from yours in particular I have to say. Whilst this is an A&R forum it really seems to be a marathon forum as much as anything so nice to be back at the table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Well done D, only getting to catch up on the DCM reports now & what a great read yours was! Congratulations on a great race, the marathon is a tough distance. We train for months on end for this one race & it really can go any way, no 2 marathons will be the same! Like you I love the structure of a marathon block, it's like nothing else in my opinion, the strength & positives (mostly) gained from week to week are amazing, love it😊 very best of luck with whatever you decide but for now enjoy the buzz🤗

Thanks very much E! Indeed it felt good the last week or so alright having managed another one and came through in one piece in both training and the race itself.

Catchup

Mon 30th Oct / Tues 31st Oct / Wed 1st Nov

Pretty tired but no niggles, back home to Kerry in the afternoon/early evening on the Monday. Legs seemed to recover well, the quads being the last which I could still feel a little when going upstairs on Wed but grand otherwise.

Thurs 2nd Nov

5K in 30min @ 6:16min/km, first run back which I did after work in the evening time. Suddenly it's winter for running with wearing a high viz running jacket, hat, gloves (to start off with) and my bodylite. The roads were really busy for some reason so wasn't the most enjoyable running experience to be honest with having to stop/step into the ditch a few times. Legs felt grand which was great though.

Fri 3rd Nov

Rest day

Sat 4th Nov

Fenit Greenway parkrun in 24:34

I've never been to the inaugural edition of a parkrun previously so with the newest Kerry parkrun starting up this weekend this would be a kinda first for me also. Fenit, like Tralee and Listowel is also around 25mins/25K drive from me so great to have another option on a Saturday but I think Tralee will remain my home parkrun as often going into Tralee on a Saturday anyways.

Arrived in Fenit around 9:05/10 and got a decent parking spot. I just did a bit of an out and back warmup on the out and back course, met a clubmate enroute so caught up with him for a bit. Back for the briefing and at 9:30 away we went. The route itself, to explain is termed an M route. You run out the greenway past the first cone to the second cone (approx 1.85K) out, you turn at that second cone, then run back to the first cone (so back about 700m), then you turn at that cone and run back to the second cone, turn again at that 2nd cone and after that it's a fast 2K to the finish. The first 1.2K approx has a decent drag as you run out the greenway but after that then it's flat for the section between the cones and fast to finish particularly in the last K. Congestion wise I thought that might be an issue on the course but given the time of day it's pretty quiet out there so not many if any cycling at that time of day and with 200 runners it was grand really. Summer time might be more challenging but the amenity is there for all to use and enjoy. For my run I didn't really have a plan for what pace to run and just went on effort which was fine for the first two K (4:50, 4:50) but for the next three K (5:02, 5:00, 4:48) it certainly was tougher to sustain the pace. I'll give this one a go again in few weeks with fresher legs to see can I get a sub 24 on it. A young runner from my club was the first finisher on the day which was great.

Caught up with a running mate then for a bit of a cool down. 1.6K warmup and 1.1K cooldown also so 7.6K in total for the morning.

Afterwards I was about to head off in the car when I just remembered that @DeepBlue of these parts was doing tailwalker so went back to meet up with him for a catchup in the coffee shop across the road. An enjoyable morning now, my first "F" parkrun also...I am very slowly doing the parkrun alphabet challenge.

Sun 5th Nov

Had debated about running again but had a bit of a upset stomach for some reason so decided to leave it off and just took it easy for the day. Bit of cross country and throws coaching for around 60/90mins in the middle of the day but nothing too strenuous. Catching up on tv/newspapers then for the rest of the afternoon.

Year to date: 1146.6K

To come

Been thinking about what I would like to do for the next few months, I looked at both Tralee (9th of March) and Manchester marathons (14th of April). The former I could sign up relatively close to the event, the latter the last 10% of tickets are going on sale for that in January so will have to wait until then to see if I could get a spot. So for now I'm going to do the boards base plan over the next 6 weeks approx to keep things ticking over mileage wise but will be veering on the easy side of pacing I figure with a few fast bits through parkrun and the sessions in the plan.

I will have the National Masters Indoors in Athlone on the 13th of January and I am intending to compete in both shot putt and weight for distance at that so need to get back throwing again as haven't done much since August.

Race wise my club are hosting it's annual Tom Kelly 8K race (https://eventmaster.ie/event/DodVimAcJr) on the 14th of January so I have signed up for that. I missed running it last year through injury so would be a nice one to maybe close off the base plan with. Come January if I got an entry for Manchester I would probably like to give that a crack or if not I could consider doing a shortened plan for Tralee if I was going with that. I am confident in the base plan that I would be okay to ramp up for 8 weeks from that and manage the race.

Also my club are starting a S&C class on Tuesdays for the next 6 weeks so probably a good option for me to do that also to try get a bit stronger and resilient in a few areas to help running and throwing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Thanks for hanging around D. I hadn't realised you had done so specifically. Great to catch up. It must definitely be a good sign that you're eager to head into another marathon block and race relatively soon after finishing one. Usually I'm still in "never again!!" mode in the weeks after finishing one 😁.

Boards base plan Week 1

Mon 6th Nov

5.5K easy in 34:14min @ 6:13min/km. After work run and conditions not great, a winter run with cold and rain.

Tues 7th Nov

My first S&C class in a long time, at least a year I think. I was stagging a bit going to this but it was good, 24 people at it with a mixture of backgrounds and some new faces. 4x rounds of Tabata (10x exercises for 20secs each with 10 secs interval between them) and them with some stretched and mobility to finish. A few of exercises I find very tough like pressups...and would be feeling the effects of those for a few days across my upper chest. Same with the core work, it reminded me when I did palates 9 years ago and you can feel the stomach muscles...I've got a six pack in there somewhere...well hidden.

Wed 8th Nov

7.3K easy in 45min @ 6:08min/km. Coaching this evening so just time for a short 45min run from home after work.

Thurs 9th Nov

Rest, stomach still feeling it from Tuesday.

Fri 10th Nov

Rest

Sat 11th Nov

Tralee parkrun in 37:41.

My 150th parkrun, had cajoled my daughter into going so said I'd run with her. She did great and ran every step which is good going for a 11 year old who doesn't hugely enjoy distance running but does like doing the odd parkrun. She left me for dead over the last 200m when she kicked for home. Before the run I got a lovely collage presented for my 150th, it's a really nice thing Tralee do with the unofficial/official milestones. Collection of pictures taken from various events "of myself running either on my own or alongside family and friends or those random ones taking as you are standing around before hand or after hand. Almost all are from Tralee (I have 100 parkruns on the that course) and a few from Listowel. Just a really nice thing to have and will be going on my office wall. Coincidentally two of my clubmates were milestone runs with one doing 150 and another doing 200 so nice to share that with some friends also.

Sun 12th Nov

Up the country for more Cross Country with four of the juveniles athletes in my club competing in the Munster Uneven Ages in Two Mile Borris. An enjoyable day out now, no medal success but all performed well in their age group and showing good progress.

Back to my parents place after the cross country and headed out around 4pm for what was intended to be 90min easy. I picked two loops to use, one I'd never run one before so wasn't sure how long it would take and that joined up with a regular loop I use. The route ended up taking me 100mins and pace wise it slipped more into what was probably a steady run so have titled it that. 16.5K in 100mins @ 6:02min/km. I did ease it back once or twice but this pace felt good so stuck with it.

Weekly total: 34.3K

Year to date: 1146.6K

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done on your marathon D. I think you said hello near the pacer tent on your way to your wave? Took me a few secs to register your rugged visage. 😉 Super report, congrats on hitting the target!

Thanks D, that was indeed me alright and no worries I kinda guessed you didn't recognize me! I was wearing a very fetching white oversized hoodie from Penneys (3 euro clearance) and disposable poncho ensemble at that time. As someone I met once who I only knew through running circles and races said "I didn't recognize you with your clothes on"!

Thanks, pretty happy with it all since really as having gone away from the distance for a relatively long period it was good to dip the toe in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

I'm a bit late to this but congrats on the marathon. It was a great run and a great achievement to get well under your goal too. I love the emotion in your report, there's just something about pushing yourself physically over that distance that really brings out a whole host of emotions.

• Advertisement

Boards base plan Week 2

Mon 13th Nov

With plan to work in Dublin I'd stayed in Laois overnight but owing to the orange weather warning I ended up staying at my parents place and working from there. Managed to cancel and rebook a non-refundable booking through hotels.com so was pretty happy about that.

Tues 14th Nov

10 years ago I did my first 5K race at the Run in the Dark in Dublin so was back again this year for another go at it. 28:26 was the time did then in my first ever race. Doing the couch to 5K program back in 2013 is easily one of the biggest life changing decisions I ever made, I've kept up running ever since....niggles come and go but hopefully running lasts forever, health permitting. I returned to do the same race in 2014 (doing the 10K edition) but since moving down to Kerry I haven't done it since, nice to go back to it again this year.

Staying near O'Connell St I jogged down to the Point for the start of the race. 2.6K in 17:21 @ 6:39min/km. My plan for the run was somewhere in the 24mins range, I know these events are very busy so you lose a good bit of time with the congestion. Lining up in the start area for the race it was hard to figure out where to stand in the correals and once the race started it appeared I was in with some of the 10K runners who were being held back, feck! I managed to get out through a gap in the fence (or I may have made one) and got over to the side with the 5K runners and crossed the line a minute or so after the race start. Very congested from the off, and people weaving all over the pace. I tried not to do the same but on occasion had to do to pass and get some clear road ahead, people running taking selfies of themselves and videos etc. Different kind of race I guess. First K, 4:59. Second K and still very congested and the going over the Talbot bridge was a bit slow, 5:03. Onto the South Quays now and a bit of space opening up and less weaving. Pushing on here a bit as well, 4:49 for the 3rd K. My watch had been tracking the markers pretty well here but somewhere between the turnabout and the 4th K marker my watch was about 150m/200m off, pretty much one side of the Samuel Beckett bridge to the other. I had the 4th K at 4:45. Into the final K now, back on the North Quays and the last push here, got boxed in for a 10/15 secs but stepped to the side to move past a pair of runners who I guessed were pacing for the 10K. Around the final bend now and driving all the way through the finish line, 24:57. 5th K was 4:33. I finished in 197th place out of 2105 runners. Checking back, between the 5K and 10K there was 4000 finishers overall which is huge really.

Jogged back to the hotel alone the Luas tracks, 2K in 16mins @ 8min/km. A Boojum burrito then for a late dinner went down well.

Wed 15th Nov

Rest day, off work today so headed back down to Kerry. Back down in time to collect my daughter from school.

Thurs 16th Nov

Took the option to do the club run in Tralee this evening on the greenway, the plan was 45min steady. Worked out at 8K in 45:53 @ 5:43min/km. It's an ideal surface/location for running in the dark.....fair boring during the bright!

Fri 17th Nov

Rest

Sat 18th Nov

Fenit Greenway parkrun in 23:21

My parents were down visiting so said to my Da to pick Tralee or Fenit. He went with Fenit, we were a bit slow getting out of the house and then I forgot to turn in Ardfert (autopilot) so lost another minute there so was little bit late arriving at 9:20 so only time for a toilet visit and to listen to the briefing before the run starts. No real plan for the run, but just go off at it with a good effort and try be faster than my first run here two weeks back (24:34). Didn't look at the watch until the first K clicked, 4:43. So the pace was set, see could I hold it now and get my first sub 24 5K since March. 2nd K, 4:40....holding the pace well now and effort was fine. 3rd K now, which would be the slowest K with a good headwind and a turnabout to navigate. Just just hold the pace as best as I could now but was starting to get tough and breathing getting laboured, 4:48. Decision time, back off or push on....went with the latter and figured I've recent practice at the discomfort of this so go with it. Final turn after about 200/300m of 4th K and time for another push on now for what you tell yourself is just a mile to the end (more like 1800m), the lies you tell yourself at times with this stuff. A clubmate passed me here and opened up a decent gap ahead of, had a bit of tit for tat with one guy over the 4th K before he pushed on but was a group of 4 of us slightly drawn out. 4:38. Into the 5th K now which is a very fast K with a nice decline right back to the start, felt like a race now with 4 of us....I was in 3rd place of the 4th. 400m to go and I'd pushing it hard now as I guessed the time was in the bag, my clubmate still ahead as 2nd of the 4 of us. With the last 50/75m he just holds his pace as I move past him to gain another spot. Sure a race within a race that's a not race but finished in 15th place, 23:21 and my 2nd fastest 5K this year. Had a great chat with one of the guys who I'd been running near over the last two K's afterwards, comes over from England a bit as his Dad lives over here so will no doubt see him again. 1K cooldown jog with my Dad then after he finished.

Sun 19th Nov

Little bit lazy this morning, was thinking about joining the club run at 8am but took a lie in. I should have been doing 90mins easy but having raced two 5Ks this week I just did an hour's easy pace run starting off around 9:40am, weather was not the best for much of it with high winds. 10.5K in 1:03:40 @ 6:03min/km.

Weekly total: 34.4K

Year to date: 1208.7K

Advertisement